Battle Contest #76 Firestar vs Killer Frost

sagejester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sagejester

For this battle, and as a nod to the cold, cold, cold winter weather outside and warm indoors, it's a showdown of fire and ice, Firestar vs Killer Frost!

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Deadline is Friday, February 6th.

@shatterstar can you please pin this?

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sagejester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sagejester: how do you draw steam??

perhaps with a sense of carefully placed nebulosity? ;) billowing up clouds and the like

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

Great choice for this one, just like last contest. Awesome, should be FUN.

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JugJugBanks

Drawn on cooking/baking paper, ‘cuz it’s a battle of the badonkadonk bizzzzzzzzzkits and the booty cakes!!! Bwahh hahhhh hawwwww!

Pencils completed in under 18 minutes.

No Caption Provided

ArdenBelfry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ArdenBelfry

here's my piece

No Caption Provided

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@ardenbelfry: First I am impressed by the speed you did this and secondly am impressed by the art. Nice job.

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JugJugBanks

annnnnd a crappy mac photobooth jpeg of some quick inks.

just for fun.

and bootycakes.

No Caption Provided

Fiesty_Badger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fiesty_Badger6
No Caption Provided

That's some great inking there jugjug

I am learning lately how hard it is. This might be my finished entry I'm still working on it even though it isn't very dynamic and this particular incarnation of killer frost is supposed to be 5'3 which I think if the proportions were correct would make firestar about 5 foot nothing. I can't believe no one's thought of putting killer frost on iceskates though - she could make her own skating path wherever she wanted..

ArdenBelfry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decept_o: thank you, combat scenes are something I need to improve

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By sora_thekey
No Caption Provided

I'm back to contest-ing! Well, trying to. Here's my work-in-progress...and as I'm posting this I am just now realizing I drew the wrong Killer Frost.. Can this still be vaild even though I drew Caitlin Snow instead of Louise Lincon? (Sorry)

If not I'll change it.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sora_thekey

Well, I'm gonna call it a night. Here's what I got so far:

No Caption Provided

I didn't get a response about Killer Frost. @sagejester, @shatterstar: Let me know, I can still change her to Louise if you guys want me to.

sagejester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sora_thekey I don't think there should be a problem whether it is Caitlin or Louise; Killer Frost vs Firestar is the crux of the challenge.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

Here we go, We have a lot of good stuff on the' Vine this month...trying to crank it out. Fire and Ice, Enjoy

No Caption Provided

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sora_thekey
No Caption Provided

Finished entry... Finally!

Today's the deadline, so I hope this is still valid. Once again, sorry I drew Caitlin Snow instead of Louise Lincon like everybody else did. Got confused.

@ramsillustrations There we go. You asked for some art...

Whoa! It has been almost 2 years since I've done anything for a CV contest (Artist Show-Off Showdown #99).

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sora_thekey:

It has been a while. Great to see you back entering the contests, I see your skills are still there. Old Sora but something is a bit different, I'm diggin' it!!

To welcome you back I threw some inks on yours. Hope you don't mind.

Looking forward to more art from you!

No Caption Provided
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations: Ooooh! That's awesome. I don't mind I love when other people work on my art. Makes me feel like the art is relevant. (So if anybody wants to color ir *wink*) What program did you use to ink it?

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sora_thekey:

I have really come to enjoy Sketchbook pro 7. Also use Manga 5.

Glad you liked it. :D

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations: How do you find those programs. I really don't have the patience to learn new software, but i do want to find something that works for me. I use Manga 4 debut at the moment. But the more I use digital apps, the more I feel I am not a digital guy lol

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JugJugBanks

I really like sketchbooks and pro level pens.

and manga physical brush technique.

>;)

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfuzzynutz:

Hey Fuzzy,

many programs have a learning curve, Sketchbook Pro for the most part is pretty straight forward and a breeze to learn and use. In todays world of graphics its becoming increasingly important to learn what is offered digitally. Even as a hobbyist as most of us are here on the Vine, understanding some of the digital basics is well worth the effort.

Some artists are not ready to evolve and take on the what is becoming a de facto way of expressing their own creativity in the 21st century. Learning and continuing to draw old school will always be important but the industry has changed and things are a reality in what we see all around in the graphics field.

Old school artists that loath or just fear change "may" be left behind as things continue to evolve. My personal feeling is that we all should be able to express our abilities and do it well, as well as our abilities give us the power to do regardless of the tools.

Learning how to draw well is the first priority but we should not criticize or ostracize the fellow artists that embark on a new frontier in art and tools.

I think it's great that you have put the effort into drawing digitally and I think you have really taken to it. I wish you much success and I hope you continue to enjoy drawing on a computer. It can be a blast and a different way of expressing oneself's creative genius.

You can order online from Autodesk or from Amazon for the new version of Sketchbook Pro.

My thoughts above where not pointed at you but the individual(s) that like to put their opinions with obstacles because others like yourself, myself are willing to try something new to enhance our creativity.

Below are some examples of the Sketchbook interface. I hope you try it and enjoy it. :)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Don't know who the artists are above that drew these so I cannot give credit where credit is due.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations: 2Hey, Thanks for this Ramster! This has probably the most compelling arguement for Sketchbook thus far. I am just trying to find something that matches the control I get with my pencil and paper. I would post more of my full pencils but I can't seem to get a good scan, and my line work with traditional inks are so jagged its a sin.

So I am always going to adapt some form of a hybrid style as a result. As I can't seem to get comfortable sketching digitally, so I do my pencils and paper thing, but I am trying to get past simply outlining my work, and really get in there and ink, hatching and all that.

A work in progress I suppose, but I think I will try Sketchbook and Manga on my next image and see what I come up with, maybe I will post the results here

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfuzzynutz:

Hey man, draw your sketches in pencil, scan them and open them in Sketchbook. Add a layer on top of them, turn the contrast down on your pencils enough to see the lines and not interfere with the layer on top that you are inking on.

When you are done you can delete or turn down the pencilled layer and save your art as PNG or continue with a Tiff or PSD file for later use. If you want a set of brushes that I use PM me and I can send them to you so you can adapt them to however you like.

Im on my way to work but can catch up with you later today or tomorrow if you need me. The newer program is about $70 but you can find earlier versions on Amazon or eBay for less. The newer version has perspective tools and some new goodies the older program doesnt have. Also there might be a trial version on the Autodesk website that may give you a taste for it.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome stuff

sagejester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

some great work here! and some great discussion too. sorry to be away for the deadline. let's get this thing voted on :)