By Crom, blood will spill!
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By tonis
@LT1085: I have to admit, Conans been in the back of my mind as a subject for a while now, good choice.
spawndon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By spawndon
@tonis: Thanks for the december 19.
Exams end by 16, so 3 days are enough! I will submit the last entry.
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By IcePrince_X

Count me in...

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LT1085
@spawndon said:
" @tonis: Thanks for the december 19.
Exams end by 16, so 3 days are enough! I will submit the last entry. "
@tonis: Hey, it's a good thing you made the deadline the 19th...haha
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tonis
@LT1085 said:
" @spawndon said:
" @tonis: Thanks for the december 19.
Exams end by 16, so 3 days are enough! I will submit the last entry. "
@tonis: Hey, it's a good thing you made the deadline the 19th...haha "
don't look at me, I didn't hit the wrong button :) 
Considering the slaughter of the last contest it's not likely I'll be picking deadlines on any of these anytime soon.
shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

This is looking kinda bleak with 3 days to go. Are people interested in entering this one? Is an extension needed?

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LT1085
@Shatterstar said:
" This is looking kinda bleak with 3 days to go. Are people interested in entering this one? Is an extension needed? "
I will be participating (My 2TB hard drive got the click of death and I've been busy trying to get the new one working properly and all that fun stuff in the little free time I do have:S) and a few others said they would as well. I was going to do this one anyways, so I wouldn't appose pushing the deadline back at all. Suggestions for a new date?
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tonis
@Shatterstar said:
" This is looking kinda bleak with 3 days to go. Are people interested in entering this one? Is an extension needed? "
been workin on mine for past couple of days.
shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator
@LT1085 said:
" @Shatterstar said:
I will be participating (My 2TB hard drive got the click of death and I've been busy trying to get the new one working properly and all that fun stuff in the little free time I do have:S) and a few others said they would as well. I was going to do this one anyways, so I wouldn't appose pushing the deadline back at all. Suggestions for a new date? "
How bout we push it out a week?
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tonis
@LT1085 said:
" @Shatterstar said:
I will be participating (My 2TB hard drive got the click of death and I've been busy trying to get the new one working properly and all that fun stuff in the little free time I do have:S) and a few others said they would as well. I was going to do this one anyways, so I wouldn't appose pushing the deadline back at all. Suggestions for a new date? "
ah the click of death, a sound I know all too well over the years. You lose anything? or did you pick up on it before it started knocking on heavens door? 
Did you try the hammer of life? Sometimes them properly placed knocks get those cylinders somewhat functional again.
LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LT1085
@Shatterstar said:

" @LT1085 said:

" @Shatterstar said:
How bout we push it out a week? "

Sounds good to me! I'll change the OP accordingly.  

@tonis said:

" @LT1085 said:

" @Shatterstar said:
ah the click of death, a sound I know all too well over the years. You lose anything? or did you pick up on it before it started knocking on heavens door? Did you try the hammer of life? Sometimes them properly placed knocks get those cylinders somewhat functional again. "
I lost EVERYTHING. There were no warning signs at all, it didn't even slow down or anything. I woke up Saturday morning to the sound of anguish and despair. (If anybody asks me why I didn't back up my stuff I will go to great lengths to find where they live, go there, sneak in at night and wake everyone up to the sounds of me working over their computer with a sledge hammer then looking up with feigned innocence and asking "Why didn't you back up right before I did this?"
spawndon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By spawndon
@LT1085 said: 
@tonis said:

" @LT1085 said:

" @Shatterstar said:
ah the click of death, a sound I know all too well over the years. You lose anything? or did you pick up on it before it started knocking on heavens door? Did you try the hammer of life? Sometimes them properly placed knocks get those cylinders somewhat functional again. "
I lost EVERYTHING. There were no warning signs at all, it didn't even slow down or anything. I woke up Saturday morning to the sound of anguish and despair. (If anybody asks me why I didn't back up my stuff I will go to great lengths to find where they live, go there, sneak in at night and wake everyone up to the sounds of me working over their computer with a sledge hammer then looking up with feigned innocence and asking "Why didn't you back up right before I did this?" "
Ah the misfortune of the mechanical disk......
shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator
@LT1085 said:
" @Shatterstar said:

" @LT1085 said:

" @Shatterstar said:

@tonis said:

" @LT1085 said:

" @Shatterstar said:
I lost EVERYTHING. There were no warning signs at all, it didn't even slow down or anything. I woke up Saturday morning to the sound of anguish and despair. (If anybody asks me why I didn't back up my stuff I will go to great lengths to find where they live, go there, sneak in at night and wake everyone up to the sounds of me working over their computer with a sledge hammer then looking up with feigned innocence and asking "Why didn't you back up right before I did this?" "
Not to get too off topic but I read an interesting story yesterday where a guy heated his harddrive up in the oven to get the data off it. Good luck with that if you try it.
deadpool1109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16  Edited By deadpool1109
@LT1085: Hey LT---- Why didnt you back it up?? :P (Sorry couldnt resist!!)

and just incase you do come by, All my info is backed up!! :P
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tonis
@Shatterstar said:
" @LT1085 said:
" @Shatterstar said:

" @LT1085 said:

" @Shatterstar said:

@tonis said:

" @LT1085 said:

" @Shatterstar said:
Not to get too off topic but I read an interesting story yesterday where a guy heated his harddrive up in the oven to get the data off it. Good luck with that if you try it. "
I'll avoid the off topic too much too but if anyone ever has this problem and needs help, send me a shout, I've been through it all too much. 
I don't recommend heating it up, actually freezing it for a short bit is safer. Essentially the idea is the knock of death is stuck platters that hopefully the expanding and contracting will loosen up enough to get going long enough to retrieve data. Also giving it a semi-hard even forced flat knock on the top with something as big as the hard drive can sometimes jar it as well. Either way, if you do get it going, it's just to recover what you can, once she's a knockin, the van's no longer really rockin.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tonis

Still no barbaric chaos? I thought for sure someone would be tearing this one up by now. I know I couldn't resist :) 
I've been wanting to make Conan and delve into the fantasy art realm since pretty much the moment I saw Frazetta & Vallejo way back when I was practically a fetus. Glad LT picked this combo, was a great choice.
The second image with the contest ID is my entry, first is just for the hell of it.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LT1085
@tonis: AWESOME.
MuadDiab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By MuadDiab

@tonis 
Epic. What 3D software do you use for that?

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21  Edited By Decept-O
@tonis:
Holy Cannoli.  I had hoped for some gore in this one and boy did you deliver.  Incredibly done! 
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tonis
@MuadDiab said:
" @tonis Epic. What 3D software do you use for that? "
Poser 2010 for pretty much everything cept the text overlays and a little blood retouching in photoshop.
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By IcePrince_X

bloody but awesome!

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tonis
@IcePrince_X said:
" bloody but awesome! "
believe it or not, it's not actually my bloodiest :) 
I did kind of hack up the super friends and turned the wonder twins into lasagna a little while back.
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By IcePrince_X

Nice take on this LT. 

The choice of just monochromatic scheme really adds to the over-all visual impact.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Decept-O
@LT1085:
I like it.    It should be expected not to see his other arm given the angle he's at.  I like it, like the action and also agree with IcePrince_X's statement.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tonis
@LT1085: nice one LT, you turned Beowulf into superman :) 
Judging from the landing he's about to take on Conan's sword it ain't gonna be too pleasant
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tonis
@IcePrince_X said:
" Nice take on this LT.  The choice of just monochromatic scheme really adds to the over-all visual impact. "
hehe, first time I talked to LT on here he asked me why my surfer wasn't silver. Here's my payback, why is Conan silver :) 
just kidding, the B&W look is always slick to me, hell I used to be a B&W photo technician for a few years professionally. Just out of curiosity though, was this actually a choice, or cause it makes things much easier blending with the tools you use? 
The majority of your stuff at least since I've been on has been B&W so I'm guessing it's more a preference than a decision of a specific design look.
Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Crazy Pan

@tonis: Nice work, but the poor guy's panties don't leave much to the imagination :P Flatter then a pancake that poor fella!! >.> Not that I'm encouraging anything raunchy I'm just pointing out the anatomical inaccuracies and--ah forget it I already sound pervy enough -.-;

@LT: It's alright but I'd love to see actual drawings instead of photomanips. Correct me if I am incorrect and you DID draw that!

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LT1085
@Crazy Pan: Why does everyone that doesn't do photo manipulation hate it so much? MORE work goes into these than a typical drawing. I always end up having to re-paint/draw the majority of it anyways(including a lot of stuff from scratch since it's not exactly like putting together a jigsaw puzzle) and usually it is only tiny pieces of many many photos that I use to create my frankenstein images. I CAN draw and paint and sculpt and everything in between (I already went to college/university for traditional art), I just choose to use this technique because I'd never done it before shortly after I started posting here.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tonis
@LT1085 said:
" @Crazy Pan: Why does everyone that doesn't do photo manipulation hate it so much? MORE work goes into these than a typical drawing. I always end up having to re-paint/draw the majority of it anyways(including a lot of stuff from scratch since it's not exactly like putting together a jigsaw puzzle) and usually it is only tiny pieces of many many photos that I use to create my frankenstein images. I CAN draw and paint and sculpt and everything in between (I already went to college/university for traditional art), I just choose to use this technique because I'd never done it before shortly after I started posting here. "
ah there's always gonna be someone with an opinion you can't change no matter what you produce. Don't feel bad, 3d aint getting no love in this place either, and it takes even more work than the craziest of manips. Not a big deal, it's a comic site and most want to see people drawing. Shame some can't seem to notice anything else as artistic or creative enough to compete in these things. 

I take it when you look at your work, you feel like an artist, honestly, that's the only opinion that matters whatsoever in that regard.
but if you do photoshop someones crotch make sure you give him a real piece apparently :)
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Decept-O
@tonis:   I think Crazy Pan brings up a point albeit in a way that is a bit...different.  I think he is just saying Conan's lower region looks a bit "flat".  I love what you did, you know that, but I have to say, I understand what he is saying.  I HATE to say that much and please don't think I am detracting your work.  I think you know that isn't my intent.  I guess doing the 3D stuff is something that users who DON'T know the process can't always know how the work will turn out.  I think this is still great despite that minor minor "flaw".   

@LT1085:
I don't think Crazy Pan is saying he hates what you do, he'd just like to see more drawings.  No one has entered this Contest with a sketch yet, so I think that could be what the user is saying.  I could be wrong.   

I have no idea how you do what you do, so I can't say whether or not your efforts take more work than say someone like IcePrince_X or Om1kron, whom are both incredibly talented and often detailed oriented.    There are other artists too like that but those fellows come to mind right away for me.  If it takes more work doing the photo manip stuff, do you get tired of doing that and ever consider drawing, like you said you can do?  I'd like to see your talent in that area!   I DO like the majority of your work, I do.  I noticed your black and white works really stand out.    

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By tonis
@Decept-O said:
" @tonis:   I think Crazy Pan brings up a point albeit in a way that is a bit...different.  I think he is just saying Conan's lower region looks a bit "flat".  I love what you did, you know that, but I have to say, I understand what he is saying.  I HATE to say that much and please don't think I am detracting your work.  I think you know that isn't my intent.  I guess doing the 3D stuff is something that users who DON'T know the process can't always know how the work will turn out.  I think this is still great despite that minor minor "flaw".   @LT1085: I don't think Crazy Pan is saying he hates what you do, he'd just like to see more drawings.  No one has entered this Contest with a sketch yet, so I think that could be what the user is saying.  I could be wrong.    I have no idea how you do what you do, so I can't say whether or not your efforts take more work than say someone like IcePrince_X or Om1kron, whom are both incredibly talented and often detailed oriented.    There are other artists too like that but those fellows come to mind right away for me.  If it takes more work doing the photo manip stuff, do you get tired of doing that and ever consider drawing, like you said you can do?  I'd like to see your talent in that area!   I DO like the majority of your work, I do.  I noticed your black and white works really stand out.       "
hehe, I did actually consider blowing his crotch up while I was working on him. truth be told I didn't think it'd be a good move. With the loin cloth I used his balls would have been literally hanging out and I don't know about you but I'd rather see him looking a little flat there than that.

I don't know, maybe being 100% accurate all the time matters if you're trying to please the critics, but I don't personally get too caught up on it. there's a lot of other things on this piece I'm much happier with than his piece :)
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Decept-O

@tonis:
Bwa Ha Ha!  Very well said.  Trust you to really bring in the humor.  You're right though, I'd rather not see "Lil' Conan and the Crom twins".   

That aside--again--great job.   

You and LT 1085 have brought the game up on this one BIG TIME.

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LT1085
@Decept-O said:
"  @LT1085: I don't think Crazy Pan is saying he hates what you do, he'd just like to see more drawings.  No one has entered this Contest with a sketch yet, so I think that could be what the user is saying.  I could be wrong.    I have no idea how you do what you do, so I can't say whether or not your efforts take more work than say someone like IcePrince_X or Om1kron, whom are both incredibly talented and often detailed oriented.    There are other artists too like that but those fellows come to mind right away for me.  If it takes more work doing the photo manip stuff, do you get tired of doing that and ever consider drawing, like you said you can do?  I'd like to see your talent in that area!   I DO like the majority of your work, I do.  I noticed your black and white works really stand out.       "
I meant a typical drawing of my own doing. I might start getting back into traditional line drawing(since my photo manipulations have outlived there welcome haha), however, I usually have to be in the right frame of mind(I don't mean the minute-to-minute/hour-to-hour kind) to do line drawings, and I really haven't been in a while. Digital work is so much more varied in tasks as opposed to line drawings, which is probably why I do them so often - It keeps me entertained. I do like to work outside my comfort zone sometimes to expand my skills, so I'll try and start getting back to basics...Don't expect too much though.
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Decept-O
@LT1085:
Sure, that is what I meant as well, your own work.  I  use these artists as an example because they are often detailed in their approach and I don't know if what you do takes the same amount and time as effort as those guys.  I imagine it does by what you're saying.   

I don't think your photo manips have outwelcomed their presence.  It is obvious a lot of users have liked your works, you've won a number of Contests as it is.  I just think Crazy Pan is stating his ( or her, didn't check out the profile ) opinion, perhaps he just gets a bit tired of it.   

These Contests have displayed a variety of mediums, and that what this is about, from what I can tell.  I am saying I'd like to see your line drawings or any other approach.  "Kick things up a notch". 
Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Crazy Pan

First of all, everyone GROSSLY took my comments out of context. I never said that I hated photomanip and I didn't even say either of your works were BAD. What I said was a SHORT constructive criticism. As an artist, you are expected to take them. Explain why you did what you did but do so without sounding like you're defending yourself from J. Jonah Jameson for Pete's sake! 

On another note, I was making the comment about the 3D one as a (failed) attempt to be pervy/funny. I think computer 3D animation is a good thing. I prefer traditional animation but I still like 3D.

Also, I'm a girl >.>;;

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LT1085
@Crazy Pan said:

" First of all, everyone GROSSLY took my comments out of context. I never said that I hated photomanip and I didn't even say either of your works were BAD. What I said was a SHORT constructive criticism. As an artist, you are expected to take them. Explain why you did what you did but do so without sounding like you're defending yourself from J. Jonah Jameson for Pete's sake! 

On another note, I was making the comment about the 3D one as a (failed) attempt to be pervy/funny. I think computer 3D animation is a good thing. I prefer traditional animation but I still like 3D.

Also, I'm a girl >.>;;

"

For anyone interested in the current nonsensical attack on my by someone that obviously wasn't hugged enough as a child:

SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.

Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Crazy Pan

I stand by what I said. And I digress that I said what I said to him IN PRIVATE because it distracts from the point of this thread. But whatever makes you happy. I will never back down from an opinion of mine. He flung out his guns in defense of himself when I said a HARMLESS comment and so I whipped out my guns in return. He ranted about my first comment which had hardly any insult in it and so I felt the need to express to him my full opinion. And if you all hate me for feeling a certain way about an art style, so be it. Because like I said to him, if you all were to tell me that you love all art styles then I'd say you were lying ;) Last time I checked, part of being an artist was taking what people say, be it good or bad, and growing from it or ignoring it. I'm only a Junior in art school and I've learned enough about people and art to know that art is 100% subjective. I don't like Photo-Manip. I never will. But others love it. Whatever. Some people like Captain Crunch, others don't. You can't force someone to like something they don't and you can't force someone to hate something they love. But if people are afraid to express what they love or do not love and why they do or do not love it, then we have lost our way as people and artists.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Decept-O
@Crazy Pan:
You have valid points.  I agree, art is subjective.  Yes, I do agree, there are times when some art styles just aren't to my liking.  I try to be open and positive to a lot of them.  You are right we all have our opinions.    

I agreed with your criticisms of both LT and Tonis, yet I also defended their right to do what they do.  If you don't like their methods, I absolutely 100% respect that.  I'm a bit "old school" but have learned, through LT and Tonis and other artists like Payno, that other methods are indeed viable and can be very well done.

I need to apologize for not looking at your profile earlier to see your gender.  My mistake on that one.    I was "nosy", looked at your image galleries and I saw a number of your pieces of art, really good.

Are you going to submit an enrty for this Contest?
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tonis
@Crazy Pan said:
" First of all, everyone GROSSLY took my comments out of context. I never said that I hated photomanip and I didn't even say either of your works were BAD. What I said was a SHORT constructive criticism. As an artist, you are expected to take them. Explain why you did what you did but do so without sounding like you're defending yourself from J. Jonah Jameson for Pete's sake! 

Also, I'm a girl >.>;;

"
whew, now it makes more sense, and much less pervy :) 
I will definitely consider the female audience is out there in the future in that regards, it's just easier for me focusing on the girls parts cause well... 
I'm a guy :) 

btw, I don't take anything you said as bad, quite the opposite in fact, it's the kind of things that help bring necessary topics to the surface. 
But as a critic, you are expected to give them knowing your targeting artists, who aren't always just going to nod and say thank you sir/maam, may I have another, without defending their way on occasions. 
In the end, it's all good as long as we got something here to actually talk about.
Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Crazy Pan

I love how now you're attacking ME personally. You are the one who should be ashamed here when you're the only one who can't seem to control his temper. And why do you think you're so special hm? I'm a cartoonist. I get told all the time that my art sucks (it does, I'll admit xD) and that I shouldn't do cartooning, but do I care what people say about me? Only if it means I can improve my work! And if someone doesn't like it then nuts to them. You are going on about this as if it's the end of the world that one girl doesn't like your style. Again, YOUR STYLE. Did I once say that you were a bad person? Even in my first message to you I said that you weren't acting shrewd or devious. That I just felt the need to know your sources and I felt like THAT STYLE wasn't to be considered something that is original to YOU since the truth is you only took things from other people and pieced them together. Again, yes it takes time and skill I'll give you that. But dude, calm down okay?

And I know I'm not the only one here that sees this. You can spit at me all you want brother. Tell me how terrible of a person I am. Tell me that you hate my art. I could care less. But it is interesting to see that you sooner judge a person's character then their art. My best friend writes Inu Yasha fan fics. I hate Inu Yasha but I adore her. Doesn't make her a bad person. And she KNOWS I don't like Inu Yasha. Doesn't mean we still don't get along. You are treating my dislike of your art as if I dislike you personally, and I don't. I admire how you stick to your guns but you should know that so do I. I stand by everything I've said. Hey, if you want an apology from me--sure. I apologize that what I said hurt your feelings but I will never EVER apologize for saying it.

If ANYONE has derailed this thread it is YOU. You made a huge deal over my opinion, not me. So no, my friend, you have failed.

@Decept-O: See and that's what I'm saying man. People have every right to do things however they want. I mean some people hate Ed McGuinness's style and others love it. He does what he wants to do. He doesn't HAVE to cater to the masses. But NO ARTIST should expect that EVERYONE should love their work or even like it. I deal with that all the time. I have professors at my college who have outright told me that cartooning is stupid and I should pursue a different area of art (such as realism or something in drawing) but I don't care what they say. He wants to do Photo-Manip that's fine. But don't expect everyone to like it. Also, I might or might not enter the contest *shrugs* depends if I have time. Been having some personal family stuff lately =/.

Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Crazy Pan

Never wanted the spotlight bro. You put it on me *shrugs*. Anywho! Carry on with the contest good people of ComicVinia!

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By tonis

ahhh, it's all in good fun till someone pokes an eye out. Nothing wrong with opinions and people having them. 
Lets just shy away from any name calling and insulting, doesn't really accomplish much. 

I now see why they called this one the battle contest, it's been the most heated forum in the artists corner lately. 
Now, if we could just get the submissions to equal the posts, we'll really have a party going :)

Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Crazy Pan

Amen my friend haha!

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Looks like Tonis wins with no other entry.  

Onto battle contest #17.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Decept-O

Congrats to Tonis.   

Too bad this Contest, which was a great idea by LT 1085, didn't have more entries.  I just didn't have time myself, but it was a great idea, wanted to add that.   

I look forward to what Tonis comes up with!
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By IcePrince_X

Congratulations Tonis!