ARTIST SHOWOFF SHOWDOWN # 44

PLUTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PLUTON

Ok here s the new challenge....  ULIK   I really like this character he is the pic on my avatar... Anyway as u can see he has Hulks body type so u can exaggerate with the muscles and all... U don’t have to be accurate with his costume ... its an artist showoff so u can do what ever u like... Dont forget that he is actually a rock troll so u can be inspired from other troll characters like Lord of the rings cave trolls  etc... In general fill free to do what ever u want to make him look bossy, muscular and bad... 

grab   ypur pencils...   

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Watch Dog

Great choice I love Ulik he is a badass not to bright thou if I can get my scanner working I am so in.

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Agent Buttons
Ulik!!
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By sora_thekey

Never heard of him.... Good thing CV is an encyclopedia!!!

PLUTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PLUTON
@sora_thekey said:

" Never heard of him.... Good thing CV is an encyclopedia!!! "

Oh come on he is Thors number 1 enemy...    
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sora_thekey
@PLUTON said:
" @sora_thekey said:

Oh come on he is Thors number 1 enemy...     "
Yeah well I kind of.... started reading Thor on #600... 

Before that nada!
Tribute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Tribute

That's alright. I just started reading comics again after a 15 year break. 
And man am I lost.

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By ComicCrazy

Here is mine.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By joshmightbe
@PLUTON:
loki is his number one but ulik is cool too
Selkirk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Selkirk

@ComicCrazy hey looks good...ulik looks massive and you did really well on his hair/fur.

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By ComicCrazy
@Selkirk said:
"@ComicCrazy hey looks good...ulik looks massive and you did really well on his hair/fur. "

Thanks Selkirk. Can't wait to see what yours looks like.
PLUTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PLUTON

No Caption Provided
here is an old  attempt  to make Ulik... I had many anatomical mistakes so I  gave up... :p
Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Agent Buttons
great detailing...
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sora_thekey
@ComicCrazy:
Dude.. probably your best work so far.... the muscle details are awesome and you made him downright scary.. love it!
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Caligula
@PLUTON said:
" @sora_thekey said:

Oh come on he is Thors number 1 enemy...     "

i wouldn't say #1. i think Loki is Thor's #1.
Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Om1kron
@Caligula : nice user name.  

@ComicCrazy: 
Dude.. probably your best work so far.... the muscle details are awesome and you made him downright scary.. love it! 

I think he means the fact the spine is completely shifted to the right of his subject therefore the anatomy is not right to him and the pose seems forced. It happens, only people who are overly anal about their work will notice because he drew it. To the viewer like yourself and I, you would overlook that due to the fact it's bad ass.  
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sora_thekey
@Om1kron said:
" @Caligula : nice user name.  

@ComicCrazy: 

I think he means the fact the spine is completely shifted to the right of his subject therefore the anatomy is not right to him and the pose seems forced. It happens, only people who are overly anal about their work will notice because he drew it. To the viewer like yourself and I, you would overlook that due to the fact it's bad ass.   "
Either I read this wrong.. or this was mean...

What do you mean?
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Caligula
@Om1kron:
thx
Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Om1kron

well for Caligula.... it's the name of an old emperor, I think there were a few Caligula's but Gais is the only one I am familiar with.  

second pluton stated that it was a work in progress and he didn't like the anatomy on the image. So looking at the picture if you look at the head placement, the torso placement and the hip placement.  

you will see the torso is slightly to the right where as the head and the hips are slightly aligned. And instead of curving the spine and shifting the hips for that leg to be up to give the illusion he is setting his weight on one of those legs, or setting the pose to his satisfaction before continuing to finish up the drawing. He went ahead and started adding the detail and it obviously bugged him he didn't fix that before doing the details.  

That also includes the left deltoid for the hand that is moving upwards. the right deltoid matches but the arm isn't in a position for it to be as contracted as the other. But it's just for fun so it shouldn't matter. But these are things obviously a comic book portfolio review will point out about his anatomy if they still go into that much detail. 

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Caligula
@sora_thekey said:
" @Om1kron said:
" @Caligula : nice user name.  

@ComicCrazy: 

I think he means the fact the spine is completely shifted to the right of his subject therefore the anatomy is not right to him and the pose seems forced. It happens, only people who are overly anal about their work will notice because he drew it. To the viewer like yourself and I, you would overlook that due to the fact it's bad ass.   "
Either I read this wrong.. or this was mean...  What do you mean? "

he means us artists judge our own works far more intensely than others. 
I know I have a tendency to hate my own work, when others tell me its good, I just don't see it. 

He wasn't insulting Pluton, he was just saying Pluton judges his own works more harshly than someone seeing it from an outside perspective.
Avatar image for cuttingedgekomix
CuttingEdgeKomix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CuttingEdgeKomix

Edit: I saw what Pluton was saying so I went back and reworked it.

PLUTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PLUTON

Ok just to clear things up…. When I start the original drawing I had in mind that ulik would stand up… later I change my mind and I bent his knee… wrong cause his torso looks like his stading up so the bend knee doesn’t look so normal… The right hand wasn’t so high also… when I add digital colors it wasnt looking so nice so I raised it more… wrong cause I had to change all muscles around but I didn’t… for example if u raise your hand the chest muscles will look different… (its more obvious in bodybuilders cause they got more muscle mass…)

And the last one is that I made him taller… It’s a typical mistake when u try to make a Hulk type character… both comic crazy and cutingedge did the same mistake…

U actually try to draw a normal type hero with more muscles… wrong!!!

As u can see in the pics Hulk type body looks more like an ape… big hands small torso small and fat feet!!!

Check the hand on the pic… the risk of the hand is about the groin area wich is normal the same happens at the normal dude s pic!

Now check where the hand ends… Its about the knee!!!!

If u try to be anatomical accurate u ll see that the Hulk guy will look taller!!!

That’s what happent in my pic and also cuttingedges  and comic crazys pic…

We all did a normal dude with big muscles but if u look at comicvines pics u ll see the difference… 

Yes its very strange to draw a dude like this but this is the right way to make a hulk type body… 

Normal dude 
Normal dude 

Hulk type body

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Caligula
@Om1kron:
I know it's the name of a Roman Emperor. I took it from the Malcolm Macdowell film.
Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Om1kron

to be fair, I drew this up, but trolls are not my forte so this is about as much effort as I want to give this contest, I got a few other things on my plate.  

enjoy or not.  

No Caption Provided
Selkirk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Selkirk

good work so far from everyone. ulik is actually a hard character to draw...could be all the hair/the troll face/the armor etc. at any rate here is a guy i call ulik.

Ulik by selkirk
 Ulik by selkirk
goosehorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By goosehorn

this sucks sooooo bad! i wanted to save myself the embarrassment and not post it but my freinds said post it and i just did!

No Caption Provided
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Caligula
@goosehorn said:
"this sucks sooooo bad! i wanted to save myself the embarrassment and not post it but my freinds said post it and i just did!

"

I don't think it looks bad. in fact quite good. If it were colored it would look even better.
PLUTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PLUTON
 @CuttingEdgeKomix said:
"

Edit: I saw what Pluton was saying so I went back and reworked it.

No Caption Provided
"
oh come on cutting edge... the original pic was much better.... Actually your anatomy was great all u have to do is make the knees shorter (on the original pic).  
I didnt wrote all that just to say that your pic or crazy comics is bad I just wanted to explain why I didnt finished mine.... 
PLEASE post the original pic again!!! 
PLUTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PLUTON

I didnt expect so many entries great job people!!! 
@ComicCrazy: Great one comicCrazy I believe its one of your best judging from the other images of yours.... u add so many details!!! 
@CuttingEdgeKomix: Excelent work cutting edge I hope u post the original one back.... 
@Om1kron: Great energy one your pic om1cron.... I can understant why u didnt finished it (I dont want to spent more than one night on my pics too lol) maybe someone else can work the rest of the pic.. with your permission of course! 
@Selkirk: Great as always... I really like the left hand and the way he is holding the iron fist! I can really feel the weight of that thing! 
@goosehorn: This is quite a suprise for me goose... u did  the head great idea and I like the fact that u add so many details on your pic now!!! 
 I like  the eyes a lot especially the left MAD one!!! U gave 100% the feeling that he is watching Thor!!!!

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Om1kron

haha whoever wants to. I jotted up a pose and tried to remember his armor in my head while at dog park, then my dog was being a total ass messing up my creative juices, and I'm in the middle of digitally coloring something that has been on my back burner for months. 

frischdvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By frischdvh

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for cuttingedgekomix
CuttingEdgeKomix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CuttingEdgeKomix

Ha Ha. Man, Pluton, there is no pleasing you is there? I didn't thing you said that our pics where bad at all, I just tried to take what you said to help me out. I see what you where saying about him being a hard one to get a handle for. But here is the org. you can use what ever one you want to. It was fun working on this one, sorry but I never had heard of him before. 

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Om1kron

I love drawing while on the toilet, this is so much better than the last image lol.