Artist Show-Off Showdown #56 ( Mystique/Modok )

• 52 results
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DavidR

That last Showdown was close. Thanks to all the participants, both artists and voters.

This one is a suggestion by a Hierarchy on the Vine and I added a little twist. Since Modok might be a little tough I added some extra time. Looking forward to everyone's art...                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Let the showcase competition begin....          Deadline May 31 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
Blankspot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Blankspot

what is being drawn mystique or modok both together?  Their freak child?
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DavidR
@Blankspot: 

This is both characters interacting with each other as in one panel together. 

Combination of the two would be creating a separate entity altogether, which is the "Amalgam" contest here on the vine.

Maybe just for fun at another time it would be funny to see what their baby would look like but not this time.  : P

This is more like Beauty and the Beast, Marvel villain style!
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Caligula

will most surely be joining this one
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DavidR
@Caligula: 

I was hoping you would!! :D
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ssejllenrad
@DavidR:
I love the idea! Though I'm sorry I won't be joining this time. I've got lotsa things to do... :(  

Perhaps next time... There's a huge chance the thread maker would still be you.. :D
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Caligula

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
well I can't decide on which version I like better. so i posted them both. but please tell me which one you guys prefer and that shall be my offical entry.
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DavidR
@Caligula:  

My preference is in clarity and detail, so my vote is for the first one. 

You kicked ass in creativity and delivering your piece way in advance of the deadline (You must have been very inspired on this one.) Hehehe!

Visually provocative in layout and form. Well done Bud!!
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Caligula
@DavidR: thanks and yeah, this is one of the contests i was most excited about
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DavidR
@ssejllenrad: 

As  LT1085  stated on a different Vine contest, "This is unacceptable!!!!"  ... Excuses, excuses!  

Life can wait, these contests are more important!!!  : D
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DavidR
@Caligula said:
" @DavidR: thanks and yeah, this is one of the contests i was most excited about "
I can see that, glad this Showdown got ur creative juices energized!
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By sora_thekey
@Caligula:  Awesome! It's weird seeing Mystique as the weak character...
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Caligula
@sora_thekey: hahaha that's what my fiance said, she told me that this picture diminishes Mystique's power as a character and strong female figure and that i should never draw her again. lol.

well that's not what I was intending to do here, but it provokes thought, and that's what good art should do, so yeah I'm pretty pleased with this one.
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sora_thekey
@Caligula:  I actually like that... One of the main reasons I loved the Dark X-Men mini series' ending was because it showed how much of a broken and weak character Mystique can be even though mostly she is shown to handle everything with no problem at all!
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Caligula
@sora_thekey: well thanks.
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DavidR
@Caligula: 

Dr Phil here....   You know, I was thinking earlier that there might be some unresolved issues between you and your better half to be and in some way you are acting it out by drawing your perception of you as Modok and your Fiancee as Mystique. That's it man, let it out!!! let those pent up feelings release through your art!! 

Hahahahaha! Jussssst Kiddin' !! Couldn't help myself... : )                                                Heheheheh....
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Caligula
@DavidR: lol
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ssejllenrad
@DavidR said:
" @ssejllenrad: 

As  LT1085  stated on a different Vine contest, "This is unacceptable!!!!"  ... Excuses, excuses!  

Life can wait, these contests are more important!!!  : D "
Everyone is against me.. Waaaaaaah!!!! Hehehehe! Fine! I'll see what I can do.... Just realized I still have 10 days to come up with an entry.... Not like it's gonna matter cause you're just gonna kick our butts when all this is through! Hehehe!
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DavidR
@ssejllenrad: 

Against you? Not at all. In fact we want you to participate. I have fun looking at your version and creativity of the characters involved. You produced so much art in such a short time, we don't care if we burn you out, we want MORE!!!!  : ) Your art is great!

Oh, and nooooooo, I do not kick butt in these contests. I have noticed I have squeaked by on some. From what I can tell everyone voting has a preference and chooses different artists, that's what makes all of this fun. 

If I remember correctly, DID U GET MY EMAIL SIR????! : )
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ssejllenrad

Hey is 3d Art allowed? Cause I've made one.... During office hours.... Shhhhhhhhhhh! :D 

Love is in the air! :D
 Love is in the air! :D
If this ain't allowed then I quit! Hehehe! Joke... :D
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DavidR
I love it! 

I'm not sure if it's fair to the rest of the guys including myself to compete against the computer and 3D to boot.  : )

It is great to see the characters in this mode but it wasn't actually drawn by your hands either on paper or tablet form.  (Not in the traditional sense that is)

This would change the rules for what is to be a traditional way of presenting comic-book art that we see and love. 

I think you definitely started something new, I would really like to see a different contest with 3d versions of our favorite comic book personalities. 

U should see if you can start one up and get others to participate. On this thread I  want to keep it as just pencil, ink and if colored with either crayolas or or anything else that will fill in the space on a the drawing that was created by an artists rendition with his own two hands. 

Kudos man, great stuff but I want your personal style and special twist you bring to the contest!   : D

I hope we still get to see your great renderings for this particular Showdown!!!
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ssejllenrad
@DavidR: :(( Snif snif! I devoted a whole.... ummm... Half an hour for that! The whole 30 minutes! I'm never gonna post here again! (And Cue! Dramatic music plus walking alone into the highway while a storm is razing)..  

Hehehe! It's ok mate. I just wanted to show it anyway. I'll see what I can do at home... (in a traditionally manner... hmpf!) That is unless the tempting black box made by Sony (or the white box my Microsoft) drags me into the screen.. :D
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DavidR

Yeeeessssss, I plan an intervention!!!!  and what is "Cuel Dramatic music?"  : P

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ssejllenrad
@DavidR: I meant to say "cue" as in stage signal... Hehe! Sorry fr the typo...
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DavidR
@ssejllenrad: 

It's that happy trigger button syndrome from rapid fire from gaming too much, oh no! It's already started, it crossed over to your typing. You are typing too fast, you are showing the first signs of a gaming addict.

Oh hell, I have to get you help!!! I'm on the phone with the airlines, I'll be there soon little buddy! I'm coming to help, hold on, hold on please! Stay away from the box, it's evil !....
Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Agent Buttons
wow
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DavidR
@Agent Buttons: 

It's sad agent, I think we lostssejllenrad to Xbox and Playstation.... 
Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Agent Buttons
@DavidR said:
" @Agent Buttons: 

It's sad agent, I think we lostssejllenrad to Xbox and Playstation....  "
Hahahaha
goosehorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By goosehorn
@Caligula: 

caligula that first one is killer man really stunning    
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Caligula
@goosehorn: thanks very much :D
Avatar image for inspiringmuffin
InspiringMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By InspiringMuffin

To preface this picture, I didn't intend it to be a continuation of  ssejllenrad's nice 3D art, but after catching up with the posts it sure could be taken that way. At any rate, I would title this little piece "Love request denied". If anyone feels like inking or coloring this, please feel free, just be sure to send me a copy of the inked/colored version!

MODOK/Mystique: Love request denied
MODOK/Mystique: Love request denied

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Caligula
@InspiringMuffin: haha nice.
InspiringMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By InspiringMuffin
@Caligula: Also, while I'm thinking about it, I like the first version of the pic you put up. I especially like the way the figures are laid out - great composition! (And the outfit doesn't hurt either :) )
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Caligula
@InspiringMuffin: thanks.
yeah I tend to get a little skimpy with females clothing for some weird reason :D
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DavidR
@InspiringMuffin: 

Hey Muffin, great pic very creative, made me laugh hard at the rejection balloons, glad you entered.

I do not see similarities in the two other than the "Romantic theme", I did an early sketch the same way, even before he posted his. I am starting a new topic a little later and will post different sketches that I am working on, the romance themed version of mine will be in there. 

His was 3D and won't be entered in this voting. Unfortunately he hurt his hand in what he says is a sparring match and cannot draw for a while, so sadly we wont see ssejllenrad this time around. 

My personal belief is he has Carpal tunnel syndrome from playing with his Xbox... Hahaha. Hope he get's better soon.
shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator
@DavidR said:

" @InspiringMuffin:   Hey Muffin, great pic very creative, glad you entered.   I do not see similarities in the two. His was 3D and won't be entered in the voting. Unfortunately he hurt his hand in what he says is a sparring match and cannot draw for a while, so sadly we wont see ssejllenrad this time around.   My personal belief is he has Carpal tunnel syndrome from playing with his Xbox... Hahaha. Hope he get's better soon. "

If there's a particular medium that you want your showdown/contest to be in you need to declare that when you start the thread. Otherwise any medium should be available. We've had CG art win before and we've seen regular pencils & inks beat CG. Even if ssejllenrad is ok with it this time around, suppose someone put hours into a piece thats CGI or for that matter papier-mache or a noodle sculpture, its not really fair to disqualify them after they put the work in and submit it. While it might be easier to do CGI, people can take that into account when they vote.
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DavidR

I fully understand that, If I ever win again, I will put a disclaimer in the future. If you read the earlier posts between him and myself, he asked when he posted if I thought it was ok. I mentioned that the 3D might cause a disadvantage to not just myself but the younger participants that do not have the means to create their art through Cg and I would prefer that we kept it as pencil ink and any form of coloring beyond that. He said it was no problem and would submit another one. Everything is on an earlier post.

As long as you have dealt with me I always ask you if I can do something, I am not one to be a root of discord within this website or between me another individual. I was not aware everything goes in regards to "medium". 

As I told  ssejllenrad, I think it's a great idea to post Character images in only 3D and maybe do that as a separate contest. I would really like to see that. 

So I hope that clarifies things and if you wish to post his in the voting that is understandable if you feel I should have mentioned it at the beginning of the thread.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator
@DavidR said:

"     I fully understand that, If I ever win again, I will put a disclaimer in the future. If you read the earlier posts between him and myself, he asked when he posted if I thought it was ok. I mentioned that the 3D might cause a disadvantage to not just myself but the younger participants that do not have the means to create their art through Cg and I would prefer that we kept it as pencil ink and any form of coloring beyond that. He said it was no problem and would submit another one. Everything is on an earlier post. As long as you have dealt with me I always ask you if I can do something, I am not one to be a root of discord within this website or between me another individual. I was not aware everything goes in regards to "medium".   As I told  ssejllenrad, I think it's a great idea to post Character images in only 3D and maybe do that as a separate contest. I would really like to see that.   So I hope that clarifies things and if you wish to post his in the voting that is understandable if you feel I should have mentioned it at the beginning of the thread. "

I know you're definitely not someone that would cause a problem and I don't think there's a problem here, I think your involvement in the forum is awesome. My post was more about next time lets try to make things clear from the get-go.  My only concern is we've had a couple CG artists leave this forum with a bad taste in their mouth over this exact issue and I hope we can avoid people feeling excluded or confused about this in the future.
I'd love to see a CG contest too but I don't know if we've got enough users with access to that technology at the moment. 
ssejllenrad's rendition is definitely sweet.

Loving this showdown so far.
InspiringMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By InspiringMuffin
@DavidR:  Yeah, the romantic theme is what I meant by continuation, most certainly not the style. I do find it interesting that a "romantic" theme seems to be consistent throughout this competition. I guess no one can resist the beauty of the oversized cranium and haircut of MODOK. :)
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DavidR
@InspiringMuffin: 

What I found hilarious with yours is how it differs from a guys point of view. Guys will put her as the already accepted romance between the two, whereas you depict as yours being disgusted by his advances and fending him off. Mirroring life in a sense. Girls have many guys that they have to push away for one reason or another and guys always want to think they can get the girl. 

My new post is "Naked Doodles", My romantic one is in the lot that I posted if you want to see it.

I'm still chuckling...
InspiringMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By InspiringMuffin
@DavidR: Not to be a downer or anything, but I wouldn't say it differs from a guys point of view, since I am one. But perhaps a different point of view than one would expect, of course I like to think I'm a bit more of a catch than MODOK, even without the fortune or mental powers.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Caligula
@InspiringMuffin said:
" @DavidR: Not to be a downer or anything, but I wouldn't say it differs from a guys point of view, since I am one. But perhaps a different point of view than one would expect, of course I like to think I'm a bit more of a catch than MODOK, even without the fortune or mental powers. "
are you serious im a dude, and even I wouldn't turn down MODOK. LOL.
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DavidR
@InspiringMuffin said:

" @DavidR: Not to be a downer or anything, but I wouldn't say it differs from a guys point of view, since I am one. But perhaps a different point of view than one would expect, of course I like to think I'm a bit more of a catch than MODOK, even without the fortune or mental powers. "

Hey Muffin, sorry bud. seeing the names on here like Caligulas and others, made me think the wrong gender with yours, I will be more careful in the future to not be so assuming, I am glad u posted and great entry!
InspiringMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By InspiringMuffin
@DavidR: No problem, I got a good chuckle out of it!
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Caligula
@DavidR said:
" @InspiringMuffin said:

Hey Muffin, sorry bud. seeing the names on here like Caligulas and others, made me think the wrong gender with yours, I will be more careful in the future to not be so assuming, I am glad u posted and great entry! "
what no girls would call themselves Caligula? hahhahahaa
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sora_thekey

Ok... I would like to let everybody know that I finally made an entry in sooo long for an Artist Showoff Showdown... but I don't have a scanner... I will try to get it in before deadline but I just wanted to let you guys know!

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ssejllenrad
@InspiringMuffin: Very nice entry! This gets my vote... For now at least... :D
InspiringMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By InspiringMuffin
@ssejllenrad: Thanks dude, that means a lot! Better go sabotage any other artists before trouble arises... :)
@sora_thekey: Can't wait to see it!

DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DavidR

No Caption Provided

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Caligula
@DavidR: nice but i thin you misspelled "Tyranny", other than that it is brilliant.