Avatar image for ramsillustrations
RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RamsIllustrations

Thanks to everyone that voted and I appreciate the win! :)

This one is a ethnicity swap.

As I was a kid and read comics I grew accustomed to the characters, genders and ethnicity of the heros in the wonderful world of comics. Im sure im not the only one that feels that way. They were the story lines of fictional characters that meant something and the comfortable feeling of what I read and related to. Regardless of gender or racial background, thats who they were when I read about them.

I dont have issues with the big 2 doing different things with the characters to keep things fresh but once they become a different ethnicity or gender they arent familiar to what I knew.

That said, I wanted to see what we here in our small little corner of the world can come up with to reflect a different take on each character.

Batman maybe being Asian, Switching Powerman and Iron Fist for the opposite ethnicity. Powerman becoming white, maybe a boxer and Iron Fist turning into a black martial arts expert. Maybe DR Strange coming from India. The costumes should stay similar so we can identify who they are. As an example Superman being Scottish with red hair? Can still have his big S but wears a kilt? What would be interesting is making Supes into a Latino hero with a mustache. Doesnt have to change ethnicity but make the character from a different country Its entirely up to the artist that joins in, the most important thing is be creative and have fun with it.

No Caption Provided

Deadline is Dec-31st

@egod can you please pin?

Magistros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Magistros

@ramsillustrations: Really nice concept...I'm game! Ok if we submit multiple entries, or are we limited to one only? Kindly advise.

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RamsIllustrations
@magistros said:

@ramsillustrations: Really nice concept...I'm game! Ok if we submit multiple entries, or are we limited to one only? Kindly advise.

From past contests its been done before, I have no problem if you want to submit more than one.

From what I remember in some, the artist could only choose one but could display all the entries they wanted to. In other contests I believe all were valid entries. If no one else minds as I mentioned I dont have any issues if you want to do that.

Its the Christmas season... The more the merrier! :D

Btw, looking forward to your entries and good luck!

Magistros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Magistros

Ok, let's start with something simple. Inspired by the Māori people, here's old school She-Hulk with the telltale tribal chin tattoo.

In this alternate universe, Jennifer is a Māori attorney fighting against the government's nuclear testing and superfund disposal program. She's abducted and left for dead a mile deep on the South Island in a vat of gamma ray irradiated compounds. She emerges one very mean, green, Māori butt-kicking machine!

I may circle back to this at some point and draw Māori She-Hulk in her now classic Fantastic Four costume.

Edit: @ramsillustrations To keep things simple, let's go with She-Hulk as my official entry. I may yet post another drawing or two before the deadline, but no need to enter any of those in the voter thread. Much appreciated and Happy Holidays!!!

No Caption Provided
Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackdog2009: @magistros:

Nicely done both of you, good take on she hulk doing the Polynesian theme.

Blackdog, on the surfer is it a gender swap? I was doing an ethnicity swap but I guess we can include a gender swap as well. I just mentioned gender as being something the big 2 have been doing which also causes me to lose familiarity with the characters I grew up with.

LeeM724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Here's my entry:

WHAT IF...Wonder Woman was from India?

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leem724: Well done!

Watching some football felt like drawing something. This may be my last for a while since I have other things going on.

No Caption Provided

Magistros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Instead of Mary Marvel being a little girl transformed into a grown woman with godlike-powers, this alternate Earth features a Mary Marvel who is a terminally ill centenarian living out her final days in hospice care...until she summons the strength and mental clarity to utter the magic words, "Shazam!" When that happens, she transforms into the 14-year-old champion of truth and justice.

Note: Apologies for deviation from MM's original costume.

No Caption Provided

Jatinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Look little red riding hood has come to visit Granny....

Jatinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

What if the Batman wasn't rich and had to. patrol the streets on foot.

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jatinder: Looks great, lots of detail. Just wondering, this is not a what if like the old Marvel comic book about an alternate storyline. Its about a character being of a different ethnicity than the original portrayed in actual comic books. Is Batman supposed to be from a different ethnicity? Would be great but its not clear.

Jatinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations: I did shade his face. I recall an issue of detective or batman from the 70's where a Boxer of ethnic origin filled in as batman, If there was a batman of ethnic origin would he (or she), be rich like Bruce wayne or would they be living on the streets with the homeless?

Your competition upto you if you want to disqualify it, I did think it was an uncomfortable image, but hey that's what art is to me, something that looks at things in a different way. Enjoy.

Wish all the competition participants, organisers and viewers all the best Have a very Happy new year, all the best for the future and Good luck.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

FINALLY, FUZZY HAS COME BACK TO COMICVINE!!

Truth be told I would have returned long before now, but I keep missing the deadlines ( almost missed this one lol)

So lets brush off the ol' battle skills a bit, jump back into the ring and have some fun...here we go!

Pastor Howard Fulton of the Mt Zion Baptist church has always been a man of faith, strength, and integrity.

Pastor Fulton lived his life believing in the higher spirit and the strength he may have is nothing compared to his belief in the power of God.

After a fateful day, he heard a calling like nothing he has heard before, was it angels, was it the gates of heaven welcoming him home?, Pastor found himself soon holding the fabled hammer of The God of Thunder

How could this be, how can a deity other than the one he has dutifully worshipped bestow these abilities upon him, these abilities to do good, to help the less fortunate in ways he only dreamed

How could he now accept these gifts from a God that is not his own??

Pastor Howard Fulton fights for justice and his faith as...

THE ALL MIGHTY THOR!

Great to be back, some Great entries too!!

No Caption Provided

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jatinder:

Thanks for clarifying, definitely an entry never meant to disqualify by any means just making sure. Solid entry!

@mrfuzzynutz:

Welcome back Fuzzy! Great piece to restart things. Glad you are back!

Hope theres a few others that kind of disappeared that will start joining us again.

Anyone still planning on joining, tonights the deadline other than if you need more time please let me know.

Jatinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jatinder

The Photo was done a few years ago, The drawing and the Grant Woods homage (American Gothic Meets Indian Vader) was done around 2021. Even I get spooked with those eyes. ;)> ENjoy and Happy new Year.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for alexadavid1429_
alexadavid1429_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ssf

alexadavid1429_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

qewwaq

alexadavid1429_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dee

RazeTheRoof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations: Not gonna lie, my first thought was "Captain Marvel gave her powers to Nick Fury for some reason... It's about to get REAL!"

I would pay money to see this become a concept!

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations: Not gonna lie, my first thought was "Captain Marvel gave her powers to Nick Fury for some reason... It's about to get REAL!"

I would pay money to see this become a concept!

My idea was that when the original Captain Marvel died from I believe was cancer back in the 80s, he passed his powers onto another and your idea of it being Nick Fury is a great suggestion.