yolo2546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By yolo2546

Very simple and very diverse:

Any fiction character portrayed irl redrawn. It can be portraiture, the character in an animated form etc so long as you can tell that it was a specific portrayal (eg: a comic book version of ledger's joker, not a generic comic joker)

Oh and yes, digital art is allowed. I'll make this one due for halloween, so that people have a good length of time

yolo2546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like how quickly tbese submissions are rolling in

W6C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By W6C

So how does one submit artwork? I see challenges but I'm not seeing the artwork. Is there another forum to go to? Yep, new here. Knotty told me about this place and since we've known each other a long time I thought I'd check it out... just a little confused as to how it works.

yolo2546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w6c: You post here as a reply Activity is really low as of late, unless people plan to post it a day before the deadline or somethin

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 EGoD  Moderator
No Caption Provided

Decided to have since Halloween is upon us.

yolo2546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egod: Pretty good. I wonder if this will inspire others to make a submission...

yolo2546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egod: I think we should keep the competitions off pins; I think it makes them viewed less.

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EGoD  Moderator

@yolo2546: Thanks :) I did draw mine up to hopefully get people going on the contest. Not sure if others are like me, not being able to work cause of covid and stuck at home can kind of put a damper on your artistic mojo. I have a lot of unfinished work laying around.

Maybe, though with the lack of traffic on the site, I don't think it really matters about pinning. It does keeps the contests from getting lost if no one posts in them with people creating new art threads all the time.

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egod:

The lack of traffic I think is whats killing the contests for the most part, that and in the traffic thats coming through maybe not enough interested artists.

Usually with fall and winter coming up things get better but this year has been dismal so far. I would continue to join in but as you know I have my hands full at the moment with the project im working on and for months to come, 6 issues to start with but 3 to 4 need to be completed before I release anything.

Also the topics and themes have changed from what we used to do in the past. I mean yeah every character for the most part has been done, I mean main characters but thats what the appeal was just a personality such as The Hulk Batman Superman Wolvie etc in a splash page pose. This has deviated from what we used to do and I think maybe thats where the charms lost some polish.

I wonder what happened to Knotty and Mr Fuzzynuts and Dragonspine etc. losing them and a few others really dampened this.

Just wanted to let you know thats a great piece and glad you posted! Kudos Mr EGod. :)

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 EGoD  Moderator

@ramsillustrations: Thanks rams. I've been spending my abundant free time getting back into painting and writing, so I put drawing on the back burner. I do agree, maybe a simple back to basics might be better suited and since the old contests are retired, people can always go back to picking those other characters. No shame in redoing costumes or amalgams, new artists may have different takes on them.

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egod:

Hey man good to see you remaining creative. If you are the winner depending on how this one ends up, maybe you can get the ball rolling with an old school artist showoff contest.

BTW, Im wondering if Cyclops is dropping some nuts in that sack?

Just kidding but I was laughing since I just noticed that.

You remember your comment on my Hulk piece with all the little vampire kids biting into him? I thought I would return the favor. You probably dont remember hehe. One had his face looking like it was in his groin and you pointed it out... ;p

No Caption Provided

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

May not qualify if you consider this a generic pic of the Joker.

I saw this in my files and it was just a rough from 2012 that I never got around to finishing or submitted im guessing for the contest that year.

I added a bit to kinda finish it but I really do need to redraw this since I like the idea.

Just dont have the time at the moment so im throwing this in to join EGod if accepted...

yolo2546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egod @ramsillustrations: I think I'll just leave it up to him. I wouldn't say its in the bounds set by the competition but with the lack of contestants, I'll leave it up to EGod.

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yolo2546: Doesnt really matter to me I just wanted to help out.

Heres my official entry, I re drew it and its Cesar Romeros Joker if it gets used...

No Caption Provided

Jokerweenie ;p

yolo2546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations: I'll take it. May as well if you took the time to redraw it (though I'm not sure what you've changed to make it like Caesar Romero).

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yolo2546:

This was a tongue in cheek shoutout to the 40s-50s Joker, I didnt change it. Its the only thing I could think off to abide by the guidelines you set. ;p

yolo2546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'll submit this one. It's an older piece of mine, but I've never posted it anywhere; should be fine. Cooper from Interstellar:

No Caption Provided
EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EGoD  Moderator

@yolo2546 said:

@egod @ramsillustrations: I think I'll just leave it up to him. I wouldn't say its in the bounds set by the competition but with the lack of contestants, I'll leave it up to EGod.

You are correct that the contests have always been new work specifically for the contest. I think we can let it slide for now, so long as the piece has never been previously used for any other contest at CV, or posted (heck, if you guys weren't honest, no one would've known!).

@egod:

Hey man good to see you remaining creative. If you are the winner depending on how this one ends up, maybe you can get the ball rolling with an old school artist showoff contest.

BTW, Im wondering if Cyclops is dropping some nuts in that sack?

Just kidding but I was laughing since I just noticed that.

You remember your comment on my Hulk piece with all the little vampire kids biting into him? I thought I would return the favor. You probably dont remember hehe. One had his face looking like it was in his groin and you pointed it out... ;p

Wow, does that ever go back! lol I never noticed that, now I can't help but think about it! too funny.

yolo2546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egod: yh I think a general rule of thumb for any competition in general is that if you have to rely on the integrity of the contestant, it shouldn't be a rule. I.e if you have to rely on me posting new art without proof that it's new, then posting old art shouldn't be disallowef unless it's evident that it's old (in that you can perform an image search and see I've posted it elsewhere)

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egod: @yolo2546:

The point I was trying to make isnt that I was posting anything to get away with it and by my years of participation I know EGod and pretty much anyone else knows that. So yeah its not an issue hehe...

I saw that the interest here seems to be flailing to none with getting anyone to enter anymore. I didnt have anything ready and saw that I actually had that unfinished piece.

It was either for a contest I missed, or just for posting during Halloween years ago. Like both of you I felt if we can keep the contests afloat with something, maybe if we are lucky more people will join.

I think in the early days that I joined in in the fun, winning was the challenge that made it competitive but thats what I like about these contests, anyone can win no matter the level, I didnt catch on to that for a while.

Its up to the voters and they always saw something in everyones work and how it was executed for them to vote on.

Hopefully we have some still looking in and giving their vote this time around. Its not the first dry spell we have gone through but Im not sure how to get people to participate anymore....

yolo2546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations: Yh no I agree. I think that the cpncwpt of winning in comparison to the old days has lost its feel because you're winning against less people. As for older style contests I'm not sure; I think that making them more open ended will mean people can sometimes submit art that they would upload anyway.

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yolo2546:

I dont disagree but I have been watching this particular contest thats left and its become less of what made it more appealing to people joining.

Most artists that joined just wanted a chance to draw a pinup of a character they grew up with. many wouldnt draw maybe the one chosen but when the idea and topic was chosen they just wanted to interpret the character the way they saw it. It just works.

At least it did. Will it continue to do so? If we dont try and go back to basics this may just be time to call the end of the contests when no one joins in. I myself cant join anymore due to time so if EGod cant then whos left other than yourself?

We need more people and I see there are eyes on the contest and traffic on the artist showoff corner of things but how many artists still peruse this site? If there are any that actually would at least want to join in and havent, maybe going back to what worked years before I came around. I have been here since I think 2008. This is by far the worst I have seen in participation. Building on participants is key to having a more open contest like you are suggesting but we have to gain the momentum first. On my end I would hate to see things fade but its time to get some new energy going and motivation for another generation of creators just wanting to have fun with this.

yolo2546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yolo2546:

We had several contests going on at one time and it went well for I think a few years. I believe there might have been one along those lines, like the one you want to do.

Work it out with EGod since he is the moderator if he is willing to pin it when you post your new contest. Its kinda going to be your baby to get it going if that what you want to do. I had to do that with the Crank the panels contest I created years ago since it wasnt really going to move along on its own. It survived a while longer when I couldnt join in anymore but it eventually fizzled.

If you are game, get the ball rolling but dont be disappointed if things do not materialize, sometimes its just timing. We can try and gain some momentum here on this platform with the old style Showoff and maybe you can piggy back artists joining in from any one posting on here if its possible to resurrect this one again.

BTW, we can call this one early if you want and start the voting. Go back to basics with a character theme from the Big 2, Image and go from there.

In the meantime you can try and get the other contest started and see who may join you. Its a toss up but with winter starting maybe with so many people home due to the pandemic we can see some results. If you go on other forums about comics and or on CV maybe shout out and let people know we exist.

yolo2546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations: I think that we should kick off an 'Artists Show-Off 3.0 FFA' at halloween for mid-November. That way we can add a Christmas spin on the second contest. I think parallel contests will be a grave mistake.

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yolo2546:

I was under the impression thats what you wanted to do. I dont think this one will survive if you change the chemistry of what made it somewhat popular with the few that participated. I really dont have the time anymore, I just wanted to breathe some life by trying the way that always worked. You want to change it and I just dont think that will work and it is already hanging by a thread but I doubt you will see it flourish if you deviate from its original format. I myself dont feel motivated.

yolo2546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations: tbf most of the veterans aren't online anymore; and I'm only suggesting FFA for a single competition.

I mean I personally didn't join the mutant contest because I only like drawing from things I like. From what I can see form the site history, competitions have fell and risen many times; it wouldn't be too much of a risk for it to fall again if it fails. I just think that competitions back then were popular because they were popular, not because of the themes given.

ig we'll just wait until halloween, and to hear Egod's opinion on this

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yolo2546:

On my end this wont matter much anymore, I join mostly if I can to keep it going. Its just a tradition that this contest continues the way it was for what it was. Since they restarted it as 2.0 it hasnt really had the same vibe as the original and the few that joined in have kinda disappeared, personal things in their lives or disinterest I dont know.

This particular current contest also doesnt have the same vibe the original one did and it wasnt a success other than the 3 of us wanting to keep it afloat.

Its not up to me, my say so is that I am one of the few kinda original members still chiming in. Other than EGod there isnt anyone from the original group and he has other things going on as well.

Being that he is the moderator I guess it should actually be up to him to decide which way to go but also the fact that we usually see an uptick during the winter months this is when we should make it as attractive as possible for others others joining in.

What we used to do is use images of the theme to get the visuals rolling in their heads. Took a moment to choose 2 or 3 but that worked getting some salivating with interest. I noticed thats one thing thats kinda missing and the other its more complicated trying to get artists to follow a line of instructions when its just easy to see the character by name and then an image. Its about selling the topic and getting others to join.

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 EGoD  Moderator

@ramsillustrations: @yolo2546:

I think the closing date of this contest should remain how it is. You never know about last minute entries.

The Artist Show-Off was rebooted in hopes of artists having the opportunity to challenge themselves, like most contests. Since it's a general contest then any topic could be used, like the old battles, amalgams or costume contests for example. Picking a subject or topic gave a challenge for some to draw something outside their usual comfort zone and have some sort of unity. I don't see creating a new contest will draw any new people in. We only chose to revive the Artist Show-Off to see how things would go and it hasn't had the same luster as before (plus it could incorporate some of the above options, which it used to do in the beginning).

We can see what happens with the next contest, I do feel that rams is right with going back to basics. These contests are just for fun and for new people or artists just starting out, they may find them intimidating if subjects become to grand. Costume contests and amalgams were always fun because people could be creative with a subject, which may be an idea for the next one.

Voters count too, which in viewing the polls in previous contests, that is seriously lacking as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e7a5c633643
deactivated-60e7a5c633643

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Howdy folks. Here's a quick rendering of the Yvonne Craig Batgirl from the 1960s Batman TV show. I'm cheating a bit in that the cycle she's on is based on one of the Batman animated series motorcycles that Bruce used rather than the heinous contraption that Batgirl rode in the TV series. I just couldn't bring myself to even sketch that thing. (shivers)

No Caption Provided

yolo2546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yolo2546:

Uh, yah. Been doing this for over a decade, I get it but I also havent seen this be as slow as it has for a very long time. You also extended the deadline to double the time of what it normally is. So waiting a month or less at this point wouldnt have made that much a difference possibly, I didnt disagree but my point was maybe a different theme would bring more on board. I am glad some of us cared enough to jump in. Its worked out in the end. :)

@dragonspine

Love it, I think thats one of your best man, glad you came on!

yolo2546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yolo2546:

Im hoping man, the more the merrier!

Avatar image for deactivated-60e7a5c633643
deactivated-60e7a5c633643

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations: @yolo2546

Thanks! Sorry for the suspense, but it's been a crazy October, and it doesn't look like there'll be any let-up in November.

The worse part about not having any time is that everyone seems to be putting out all kinds of contests and art challenges around the web -- no doubt attributable to the fact that more people are out of work due to the pandemic. Really wish I had a clone. I'd send him off to the office to deal with ever-increasing and outrageous client demands, while I stay home and draw all day long. Maybe in the next life? Bury me with a Strathmore pad, some Copics cool gray brush markers, a Micron 03 fine tip and my trusty Staedtler.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the spirit of supporting artists in here I'll put this one here. Is also the one year anniversary I drew it. He's a very obscure character, they call him Joker I think. ;)

No Caption Provided

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackdog2009:

Well done, glad we had a good turnout, its worth it even though I may have spoken too soon. ;P

yolo2546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yolo2546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yolo2546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egod. So Imma make the voting thread in a couple hours. You appear to have the following decision:

- FFA competition where any art goes. (I advocate for this; since it means that whoever posts an artwork here in general can submit it because they may as well)

- Let the winner of this competition pick a character/costume amalgamation for the next match

- Continue on as normal

Anyway I recommend a 20th November deadline so that we can have a month long competition for Christmas day

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 EGoD  Moderator

@yolo2546: The contest will continue it always has, the winner will pick the next subject. Subjects or topics are always suggested since it keeps a unity to the contest. The winner can also choose how long they wish the contest to go. Sometimes having contests go on too long means less interest, but then the same is said for contests that end too early. I think 3 weeks has always been a good norm.