Artist Show-Off Showdown #136: Mysterio

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

My first choice was going to be Doctor Doom. But I see that he was already chosen not too awful long ago in the Artist Show-Off contest and I'd hate to be redundant.

So, with that in mind, I think I'm going to choose another villain I've always liked. A bit underrated by most accounts, but I've always liked his silly domed head and funky costume. I'd like to focus this month's Artist Show-Off on Mysterio from the Spider-Man books.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I figure Halloween time is the perfect opportunity to showcase a villain who's all about illusion!

Deadline will be three weeks from today. That's November 1st. Get them pencils flowing folks! :)

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Decept-O

@zzombie13: @zzombie13: Those threads don't get taken down. They will get "bumped" down but far as I know no Mods remove past voting threads.

Same goes for the Battle Contests.

Also there is a thread with a list of Artist Show-Off Showdown Champions.

Just FYI.

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By RamsIllustrations

Just a quicky, hopefully maybe someone else will join in. :)

No Caption Provided

Fiesty_Badger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holey moley, @ramsillustrations!!!

That's easily the best drawing I've ever seen of Mysterio... by some light years, by gum!

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fiesty_badger6: Hey man that means a lot, thanks! I ate something thats made me sick for 3 days and still not recovered. This was an effort on my part to draw in between sleeping. I thought it was sloppy at first but it grew on me. I'm so glad you ended up approving it. :)

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RamsIllustrations

@zzombie13:

Thanks man, always good to hear from you.

I got one comment that asked me elsewhere if that was a zit on his big dome head. Im like damn that's supposed to be his creepy cool blinking red eye. :p

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Just a quicky, hopefully maybe someone else will join in. :)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

i've seen your DA before and IMHO this is in the top 3 works you've done

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid:

Hey man thank you, I try and improve a little every time on at least one area of a drawing. This one I focused on composition with the camera angle and figure and also trying to improve my color scheme.

Glad its showing.:)

I have some good things coming up that I want to share, not practice but for show so thanks for keeping an eye on my work.

Let me know if you see me faltering or improving. There are times you have to really push yourself to draw and the results are mediocre. On this one even though I was sick I was in the mood to draw something. Every few years I draw Mysterio to see how far I improve. Here's the changes over the years.

Thanks again!

frischdvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Won't have time to color it today. Sorry.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

@frischdvh: I am digging the psychedelic background! Nice job.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet. I was worried we wouldn't get to have a voting round!

I'm too tired to get the voting thread set up right now. I am wiped out and I don't want to make a mistake. But I'll get it going in the morning! Thanks for entering. :)

frischdvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claymore1998:

As always you are a charmer, thank you!

My opinion on this is,

You are born with an inclination to understand something, If that's the gift then it is. To me you either have an interest or not to pursue it. Many people are good at something but don't like doing it.

To reach a higher level even if its facilitated you do still have to work at it. I really don't think its just a gift. :p

I'm glad you can see my effort is showing. :)

Also, I meant to tell you thank you for you votes on the current contests I greatly appreciate it!!

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Claymore1998

@ramsillustrations: That’s never a problem, friend and you are more than welcome.

Hehe you know seeing you I feel like maybe I could start learning art myself. Sadly, as a kid the only avenue available for me to learn art was using a pencil and a paper. Had I not been born with a genetic disorder perhaps I would someday be able to draw?

Lots of what ifs in life but hehe I suppose after a while you sort of start accepting your flaws. I am just glad you have both the passion and persistence. That I will always respect, even more so than other perhaps because that’s one thing I have never been able to do.

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claymore1998:

Pencil and paper is all I had too, :p

I used a ballpoint pen when I was about 7 or 8 so that it would force me to be more careful if I could not erase. I agree its about passion for a large part of it, then the hardest thing to let go is the hobby that you always loved because it becomes work.

Work that I enjoy but a hobby is doing what you want when you want, for me thats the hardest part is letting go of the hobby if I plan to make money at this.

I can always help with tips if you show an interest to start. Just Pm me when you need me. :)

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations: That’s never a problem, friend and you are more than welcome.

Hehe you know seeing you I feel like maybe I could start learning art myself. Sadly, as a kid the only avenue available for me to learn art was using a pencil and a paper. Had I not been born with a genetic disorder perhaps I would someday be able to draw?

Lots of what ifs in life but hehe I suppose after a while you sort of start accepting your flaws. I am just glad you have both the passion and persistence. That I will always respect, even more so than other perhaps because that’s one thing I have never been able to do.

I don't mean to butt in to your conversation, but learning art can be done. It takes some dedication of course, but so does learning anything really. People think that artists and art are all about the talent, and that does play a part. But it's not the huge part that many folks think it is. Art is 5% talent, 20% learned skill and technique, and 75% practicing your craft to perfect those techniques. If you have the desire, learning it can be done. And as Rams said, we're all here to help if folks need or want it. Tips, techniques, tutorial recommendations, etc. Let one of us know if you (or anyone) needs help. :)

Cheers!

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations: @zzombie13: Thank you so much to the both of you, I really appreciate it. Here is something I have never told anyone, as a kid I was diagnosed with Dystonia. It's a minor genetic disorder where you get mild tremors in your hand. Simply, my hand starts shaking randomly at times.

I think that was one reason why I was discouraged when trying to learn how to draw. I used to try and draw on paper. Try to get all the outline right but I always had the tendency to mess it up because of the said defect. However, in the current computer age where you can actually undo anything with a control + Z, it should help me learn. But I don't know why, the idea of learning how to draw used to fascinate me once, now it just scares me.

Deep down I have always blamed my genetic condition for not being able to learn how to draw. I don't wanna start now because I fear I will one day realise hehe I could never draw, the whole genetic condition thing was merely a psychological shield I was hiding behind. The idea itself scares me heh.

kfhrfdu_89_76k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By kfhrfdu_89_76k

@frischdvh:

Lovely linework and design on the first one.

The second: The darkly colored letters make the image heavy. So does Mysterios armor, which would need lighter areas. Maybe white, but that might be too radical. Or maybe the photograph doesn`t bring out truthfully, how it looks.

gamejutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking good you guys, keep it up.