Avatar image for ramsillustrations
RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@Decept-O:

I understand where you are coming from, I was kinda pushed into the digital world due to my eyesight changing, I can see fine but the near and far are progressively moving in a different direction from what it was just a few years ago. The fastest way to correct my artistic dilemma was to acclimate to the digital world.

With the zoom feature on the program I use, I can work on any given panel in the tiniest of detail with no visual issues detaining me. Before I had to work with a magnifying glass stuck to my forehead literally. Since I love technology it was a no brainer to embrace digital art. Eventually I will fix the problem but since it only affects me on the small details I really like what a Tablet can do.

spawndon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By spawndon

@IcePrince_X said:

I will not mention names but I've seen entries coming from existing photos of statues and people then manipulated in such a way so it becomes their artwork.

That's me. Good thing I felt that I cheated, so I removed a work from another contest.

@RamsIllustrations said:

Agreed, there is no originality or creativity by doing it that way and shows no effort and should not merit being in a contest.

Agreed.

@tonis said:

I'll be the first to say that if someone actually does that, I'll never join another challenge they offer no matter how cool it might be. ;)

That would be totally lame and without justification other than some snobby opinion on what makes an artist.

That essentially put a bar on an artist, and someone will just have to walk away without entering even if he wanted to.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By tonis

@RamsIllustrations: hahaha, I wanna meet the dude who has that control over pasta and coat hangers :D

@IcePrince_X: well said and I feel for the plight of getting the traditional beauty properly translated through scanners. I can be an art in itself to learn all the tricks. Your work always looks top notch though no matter how you do it :)

@Decept-O said:

@IcePrince_X: I agree. I think the point is getting misconstrued a little here. Some people do object to using computers and other technology but I don't. Your points are very well said and made.

Again, my point of contention is when someone is trying to pass of images as their own art, like they drew it. That really is my whole point, and unless I am mistaken, the point of some others right now.

there's no doubt no one is cool with someone passing off art as their own and as SC pointed out there's only been issue with that with one user who many on here are familiar with. That almost always get's picked up pretty quick though.

When it comes to blending images or photo manipulations in an image editor what I would propose is that we allow them so long source images are provided to allow the mod of the contest to determine if any work has actually been done. It's far more impressive to see photoshop work when you see the before and after and anyone serious about using that method in the contests do themselves well to show the transformation.

If they submit what appears to be a photo manipulation without source images it's not an entry, simple as that and you offer them a chance to enter at least so long as it's clear what they did. There are some photoshoppers who really do some incredible stuff in the hero world and I'd love to see what talent we might have here who've always assumed it's not manip friendly.

spawndon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#54  Edited By spawndon

@tonis: then its best that the user post both his entry and all source photos in one post itself, or it can get confusing.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By tonis

@spawndon: yea, my suggestion would be post the final in large centered format with source files in thumbs below it. In the case where their might be lots of little pieces of things then the main images and a simple description of the misc is enough for me to see if someone actually did anything impressive or just ran a filter over the original.

It benefits the photoshopper to do this, not only will it really show when they did a lot of work, they'll also get great tips and advice on how to improve because I know there's many on here skilled with these tricks :)

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#56  Edited By Gambit1024

@tonis said:

@spawndon: yea, my suggestion would be post the final in large centered format with source files in thumbs below it. In the case where their might be lots of little pieces of things then the main images and a simple description of the misc is enough for me to see if someone actually did anything impressive or just ran a filter over the original.

It benefits the photoshopper to do this, not only will it really show when they did a lot of work, they'll also get great tips and advice on how to improve because I know there's many on here skilled with these tricks :)

I was just about to suggest this. I think that's an excellent idea. I'm all for it.

PoachedPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By PoachedPig

I kinda like this idea. I support this one.

Honestly, the recent happenings here in Vine is kinda off especially to new users like me. Hope this would end soon.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By Decept-O

@PoachedPig: Don't be put off. We're trying to discuss things constructively but that doesn't always happen that way. Please continue to stay in the Artist Forum. I will also add if someone is using a site like "HeroGenerator3" and if it gets accepted, at least put forth a disclaimer saying that's what you used. My opinion.

PoachedPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By PoachedPig

@Decept-O: Yeah don't worry. I'll still visit the Artist forums.

Jokerpoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#60  Edited By Jokerpoker

@shatterstar: I have a question. So I make short films with superhero figures I collect, could I share those?

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 shatterstar  Moderator

@shatterstar: I have a question. So I make short films with superhero figures I collect, could I share those?

Of course, by all means feel free to post them.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a question. I made a thread for my work here. When I post new work should I edit the OP or is it cool to just post as I go? I just didn't know what was preferred.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#63 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@jj_was_here: That's up to you, in my experience they both have benefits and drawbacks. With updating the OP, you may come across problems bumping the thread (you can always ask me to do it though, that is relatively common on this board with the posting limits). Also you might start to get lag when opening it if all images are on the first page. On the other hand, with posting as you go you do then get to bump as you add (again you can contact me for art thread bumping and double posting problems) and this keeps your thread visible.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: Boo, I really think you should wear a cape (if you don't already). I have to say (and please don't think this is me kissing butt) but even this professional matter of fact reply brought a smile to my face. So you should wear a cape, because you're super awesome.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@bumpyboo: Boo, I really think you should wear a cape (if you don't already). I have to say (and please don't think this is me kissing butt) but even this professional matter of fact reply brought a smile to my face. So you should wear a cape, because you're super awesome.

*stands proudly on a mountaintop, new purple cape billowing in the wind*

THEN I SHALL! :D

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By JJ_Was_Here
ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By ZZoMBiE13

@jj_was_here said:

I kinda hope she wears Louise Belcher's rabbit cap in real life, just like in her avatar. The cape would just be gravy. :D

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@zzombie13: I have a wolf one? I know it's not quite the same though ;)

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo said:

@zzombie13: I have a wolf one? I know it's not quite the same though ;)

My daughter has little kitty ears she picked up at an Anime con one year.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@zzombie13: Awww! I'll bet that is an adorable sight :)

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: She has buckets of cosplay gear. Fawn ears, kitty ears, about 2 dozen wigs. This past August her and her friend went as a zombie and a wood sprite (hence the fawn ears).

I wish cosplay was a thing when I was her age. We had to wait until Halloween to play dress up! So not fair! :(

LuisEscobar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for this @shatterstar, I wasn't aware of any of these rules and contest forms. Very cool.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 shatterstar  Moderator

Thanks for this @shatterstar, I wasn't aware of any of these rules and contest forms. Very cool.

Sure thing, thanks for checking them out.

HigorM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 HigorM  Moderator

@shatterstar: Is there a "place" where we can ask for a specific drawing? Like if I had an idea for a amalgam character and want to share it and see if someone might take a shot at it..

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 shatterstar  Moderator

@higorm said:

@shatterstar: Is there a "place" where we can ask for a specific drawing? Like if I had an idea for a amalgam character and want to share it and see if someone might take a shot at it..

Just post a new thread in the artist show-off forum.

HigorM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 HigorM  Moderator
2Darkdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I read the headline, I don't quite understand. Is this section only for contests between artists or can artists also just show their work here?

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 shatterstar  Moderator

When I read the headline, I don't quite understand. Is this section only for contests between artists or can artists also just show their work here?

Artists can post their work here on the forum, these guidelines only have to do with the contest threads that run regularly and are pinned at the top of the forum. Anyone is free to participate (or not) in the contest threads.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

I gotta draw something soon

Medusa_Merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Medusa_Merc

Not that I'm planning on entering any contests or anything, but can someone cue me in on how this works with image manips? I'm a novice at any kind of visual art, and so far I've just been playing around with images pulled form the internet in photoshop. AM I breaking rules?

• Art must be of YOUR own creation (unless its a collaboration in which case give proper credit). If you suspect someone is breaking this rule please PM me or another moderator.

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 EGoD  Moderator

@medusa_merc: Sorry it's been so long with no reply, this thread can get missed cause of its age. To answer your question though, for you and others who might wonder the same thing; some people have entered manips in the past. It is sort of a debatable subject. I believe those who chose to go the manip route were allowed to enter so long as they clearly stated that it was a manipulation and credit given to the original piece (if required, using actual photos of celebrities per se is not easy to do).

Now I do think that using a full on manip with nothing but images pulled from other references would not be allowed. I can't say for sure, since I don't dabble in that sort of thing, but some people would use an actual image then paint costumes or whatnot over top? I suppose in that respect is where the manip is allowed.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

I need some clarification. It says the winner of the contest gets to choose the next contest, but it also says to get feedback from the artists about whether they want to do that contest? I just won the ASO Showdown by default (and you should all be ashamed lol) - am I picking the contest, or is it picked by committee? Not sniping, just trying to figure out how you do it.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 shatterstar  Moderator

@cbishop said:

I need some clarification. It says the winner of the contest gets to choose the next contest, but it also says to get feedback from the artists about whether they want to do that contest? I just won the ASO Showdown by default (and you should all be ashamed lol) - am I picking the contest, or is it picked by committee? Not sniping, just trying to figure out how you do it.

Well feel free to start a new showdown thread & feel free to pick the subject of your choice. It looks like people have abandoned ship so it may take some active recruiting to get people interested again.

FACILIYATSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By FACILIYATSI

@tonis said:

@Gambit1024 said:

" @tonis: I see. Do you have something in mind, sir? ;) "

on the amalgamations there's a lot of versatility https://downloader.vip/itunes/https://notepad.software/ Between villains and heroes across all the comic companies there's a lot of room for choices.

I'd say pick two characters that will really contrast their visual appeal and compliments their back stories :) https://showbox.bio

I actually have a question about the Amalgam Contest: Are you allowed to combine any two characters regardless of the company they belong to? If I were ever to win, would I be allowed to have the two subject be Flash and Green Lantern. for example?

FACILIYATSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By FACILIYATSI

@cbishop said:

I need some clarification. It says the winner of the contest [https://vidmate.vet/https://downloader.vip/itunes/https://notepad.software/ gets to choose the next contest, but it also says to get feedback from the artists about whether they want to do that contest? I just won the ASO Showdown by default (and you should all be ashamed lol) - am I picking the contest, or is it picked by committee? Not sniping, just trying to figure out how you do it.