Artist Show-Off # 24 VOTING

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By EGoD  Moderator

Poll Artist Show-Off # 24 VOTING (13 votes)

Ramsillustration 38%
Blackdog2009 15%
Anderloan 15%
Jatinder 31%

Here are the entries, draw your favourite character in a custom Phoenix costume. Names are below the images. Voting will end in a few days.

Ramsillustration - Storm
Ramsillustration - Storm
Blackdog2009 - Ronda Rousey
Blackdog2009 - Ronda Rousey
Anderloan - Dr Strange
Anderloan - Dr Strange
Jatinder Atlas comics Phoenix swapped with Marvel Phoenix
Jatinder Atlas comics Phoenix swapped with Marvel Phoenix
 • 
Maniac2312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

As always, great art.

Maniac2312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I asked my daughter to enter this one butvshe missed the deadline. I gotta show it off anyway.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RamsIllustrations
@maniac2312 said:

I asked my daughter to enter this one butvshe missed the deadline. I gotta show it off anyway.

No Caption Provided

She did a great job!

She deserves it to be displayed upright hehe...

Maniac2312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EGoD  Moderator

Sorry, I honestly forgot about this, have a lot of other things on my mind.

We have a 2 way tie with @ramsillustrations and @jatinder. If we can get a deciding vote cast for an official winner in the next couple of days.

@maniac2312 your daughter did an awesome job, sorry she missed the deadline.

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EGoD  Moderator

Looks like there is a tie for this one. Congrats @ramsillustrations and @jatinder. The two of you can decide on the next competition with a collaboration.

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egod: Im good if @jatinder wants t start the next one, lets see where he takes us, hopefully he is keeping tabs on this. :)

Jatinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jatinder

THANKS @egod and @ramsillustrations. I've had a think about this, The first comic I remember is Captain Marvel 19, so I decide to redraw the cover but not wanting to copy the Great Mr Gil Kane, I tried to update it. so it might be nice to see if anyone to like to rework a piece of art not necessarily a cover and make it a different setting, Time/space etc.

Here is an example I did 9 Years ago.

No Caption Provided
Magistros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lots of great work here. Congratz to @jatinder and @ramsillustrations . Phoenix is one of my favorite characters, so it's always fun to see the creativity that she inspires. Looking forward to seeing what comes next.

~ The contributor formerly known as Dragonspine

Jatinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magistros:Cheers, Always great to hear someone liked my art.

Jatinder

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jatinder:

Hey there Mr, I like your idea. Congrats on the win, I couldnt vote again if not I would have broken the tie hehe... Very cool version of that cover, I hope you post some more.

Are you planing on posting it as a contest thread? I know this may be new for you but its not hard and EgoD and I can help you get it going if you have any questions.

Gil was my fave when I was a kid and I actually took a class with him being one of the teachers.

Fun times. Long ago cough cough...

@magistros:

Hey man welcome back, thought you were gone for good. Hope you keep joining in. :)

Jatinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations:I didn't vote, I wasn't sure if it was allowed plus I liked all the pieces and it seemed unfair. Delighted and honored to be a co-winner.

Speaking of Mr Kane. I was so excited to meet him, especially as we were alone in a corridor. all I could say was that his art made me passionate about comics... And I managed to take a Photo of him.

No Caption Provided

I've been so fortunate to meet so many of my heroes, a lot of them I captured in pictures, that I took, partly for myself and partly because a friend of mine did a fanzine called Arkensword, later retitled to just Ark.

You can see the pictures at: https://artofjsg.com/convention-photographs/

I'm so glad I took the pictures as there are a lot of happy memories, and sadness that some of the people are no longer with us. We are fortunate to be able to enjoy what they left for us.

I'll try starting a thread. Please feel free to correct any errors. @ramsillustrations@egod

Cheers

Jatinder

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jatinder:

Looking forward to your post.

Sometimes the simpler the better with these contests. If you make it too involved most dont seem engaged and we miss an opportunity to get participation. What seems to work is just choosing a character to update or even just draw your own version of by each artist. Also, at least one image of the character you are using helps to sell the contest. As you know we get inspired by what we see, not just the written instructions. ;p

I will be there if you need some help but wanted to give you some easy tips to get you going. Also dont forget to add a deadline, at least 2 weeks to 3.

Yes, it was fun to meet a few in my past and chat with them. For whatever reason Gil's styling, anatomy and dynamics were definitely what I looked for when I went comic book shopping.

Have known and kept in touch with Kerry Gammill since I was 12 and actually visited his home a couple of times, met John Byrne and Burne Hogarth as well as Bob mcLeod and others I cant remember at this time. Its fun to see a glimpse of what goes on in creating all these great characters that we have learned to appreciate and enjoy once they are released to the public in print or other means.

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jatinder:

Hey Bud you had something up, didnt get a chance to look at it but now your contest post is gone. Are you planning on reposting something so we can get the ball rolling on the contest?

Hoping we get a few that join in, looking forward to it. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf4439ee1f9
deactivated-61cf4439ee1f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations: Your stuff is dang solid, man. I was looking through your portfolio, I have no idea how to crosshatch or ink like that.

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations: Your stuff is dang solid, man. I was looking through your portfolio, I have no idea how to crosshatch or ink like that.

Really appreciated that. :)

Well theres something I have learned, I paid too much attention early on to having a style that was different from everyone elses. At first I was absolutely influenced by the artists I admired growing up and I studied their way of feathering and cross hatching.

After a few comments of my style being classic, meant as a compliment and I appreciated it but I didnt want my work to be influenced by the 1970s in the 21st century.

I had to find a way to shed that.

I dropped to a 1 line approach similar to coloring books and stayed with that for about 2 years or so. Then I went to a crazy feathering approach (in my opinion) and realized maybe it was too much for me. :p

Tapered down and started to focus more on shapes than style but somehow ended up with what I have now.

Glad you like it but its been years of experimenting, one drawing at a time. :D

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf4439ee1f9
deactivated-61cf4439ee1f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anderioan said:

Well theres something I have learned, I paid too much attention early on to having a style that was different from everyone elses.

I know how that feels, good to have a kindred soul on here.