Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
#1 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6730 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi Everyone.

I decided to try drawing in a more realistic style than I usually do, as I'd love to be able to draw better, and I haven't tried drawing in this sort of way for ages.

So here's what I have:

No Caption Provided

I think it turned out O.K. for a first attempt, and with practise I can hopefully do better next time. I'll maybe add to it and post when I do. I was just wondering if anyone had any feedback or tips to give. Constructive criticism s welcome, but please be polite. :)

Scarlotte.

#2 Posted by ProofPudding (346 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Really not bad for your fist attempt. I would recommend doing some photo reference studies of both Female and Male faces. Lightly sketching line guides will also help getting the proportions correct. Hope this helps

#3 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6730 posts) - - Show Bio

@proofpudding: That's what I was thinking. I imagine practising with different kinds of faces would build up a general understanding of how to make things work. I used a couple of guide lines to get the eyes fairly straight, but perhaps applying them to other parts of the face could help.

Thanks for the tips. :)

#4 Posted by BumpyBoo (14790 posts) - - Show Bio

It is great to see you experimenting with different styles, I think I am going to like this thread :)

#5 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6730 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo: Thanks. :) I haven't drawn anything else yet, but I've added some hair detail to this first picture:

No Caption Provided

I'll be sure to post more as I draw them. It seems like feedback could be helpful for this kind of thing. I'll maybe try something more realistic for your Crow thread, as amalgams don't work too well with Powerpuffs. Not for me anyway.

#6 Posted by ProofPudding (346 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: No problem. I still have trouble with female faces but the guide lines do help with the general locations on eyes, nose, and ears.
One thing that is also good to remember is that human faces are rarely ever symmetrical or linear. So if your face drawing is slightly off it gives it more character and makes it more believable.

#7 Posted by BumpyBoo (14790 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Nice, I like it :) Wish I could offer something more like constructive feedback, but I can't really draw at all in that style, so I will just follow along with moral support ^_^

Oooh, I am looking forward to your Crow submission! :D I guess technically any character you draw in Powerpuff style is an amalgam already?

#8 Edited by Anbu_B_Team (748 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: It looks like you are on the right track. I was always taught you erase as much as you draw. Your first line does not have to be perfect. Add and subtract as you build up to a finished render.

Also one thing I have done in the past is focused on an individual feature of the face. Take a few photo references of close ups on different female eyes. You can practice by drawing 3 different shaped eyes and focus on the details. You will see if you get close there is a lot going one. Same for the mouth and nose. I would love to see you post some more.

#9 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6730 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo: Moral support is good too. :)

I never thought of it that way. I wonder if that would count.

@anbu_b_team: Thanks. I intend to practise individual features sometime.

@proofpudding:That's a good point. I'll keep that in mind if I try drawing faces withoit a picture to work from.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
#10 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (10331 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose:

Very cool. It's looking really good. :D Sorry, I can't offer any tips other than to just draw from life. That and practice allot, but I'm sure you had those things in mind already.

#11 Posted by BumpyBoo (14790 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6730 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo: I'll maybe try it sometime if I can't come up with something more difficult in a contest thread. :)

@battle_forum_junkie:Thanks. :) Had them in mind, but having it suggested means it's more likely to be the right approach. :)

#14 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6730 posts) - - Show Bio

Couple of new drawings:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

#15 Posted by Anbu_B_Team (748 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: I like the second one. A Straight on face drawing can be tricky. The side pose in the second drawing is much more interesting to me. What were you using for reference to draw these....mirror, picture?

#16 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6730 posts) - - Show Bio

@anbu_b_team: For the second one, I used a mirror to get the basic idea of what angles to use, and just kind of made it up from there. And the other one was a sketch I found when looking for something else. I can't remember if it was based on anyone.

I tried digitally colouring the second one. Not sure if it's a process I'll continue using.

No Caption Provided

#17 Posted by BumpyBoo (14790 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: I just saw this in the feed and had to come and comment because it jumped out right away, seriously impressed with this digitally coloured one :) Really like the original pencil version too though.

#18 Edited by Samimista (22297 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Such beautiful eyes and hair you draw! Really love your work. Especially of the colorized art. =D

#19 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6730 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista: Thank you. :D I hadn't expected "beautiful" to be a word that could be used for what I'm doing, so I appreciate your words. ^_^

@bumpyboo: Thank you. :D I was unsure of what the thoughts on the digital colouring would be. I think I'll need some practise if I'm going to do it more often. It's a little wiggly at the moment.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

#20 Posted by Samimista (22297 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Ah your welcome! You truly have your own wonderful style. ^__^ Do love your work! =D

#21 Edited by Anbu_B_Team (748 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Digital coloring does take practice. I would suggest focusing on shading with pencil as well. This will translate to color later, if you can work on variations of lighter - deeper shading techniques. The drawing above would be a great chance to work on that. If you have a scanner you can scan and print your drawing and play with different shading techniques without touching the original.

#22 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6730 posts) - - Show Bio

@anbu_b_team: I'll keep that in mind. I don't have a scanner, but I can trace the picture and try shading different copies of it.

@samimista:Glad you like it. :D

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#23 Edited by Anbu_B_Team (748 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: If you have a smart phone or any phone with a camera you can take a picture and email it to yourself.

#24 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6730 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the jaw on this picture is a little off, but apart from that, any thoughts?:

No Caption Provided

Edit: Quick digital tweaks, does this look a better shape?:

No Caption Provided

#25 Edited by BumpyBoo (14790 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the bottom one more, the jaw is jutting out a little in the top one. Still, very nice work, glad to see you posting in here again ^_^

#26 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6730 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo: Cool, thanks. :D I think the second one is still a little jutty, but I can keep that in mind for next time. :)

I kind of forgot I even had this thread. I'll maybe have a flip through some stuff and see if there's anything relevant that can be posted. :)

#27 Posted by Suske_Amoras (229 posts) - - Show Bio

Hé I´am someone at your level and some of this sites helped me out maybe its also usefull for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tX7y9mu-lM

http://moni158.deviantart.com/gallery/26778761/Anatomy-and-drawing-tips

http://moni158.deviantart.com/art/Drawing-hands-and-tips-182278160

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ9Hpp8JygI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPB_L6kS2rc

#28 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6730 posts) - - Show Bio

Not super-realistic, but these aren't Powerpuffs, so they can go here. Opinions welcome. :)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#29 Posted by BumpyBoo (14790 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by SilverPool (4562 posts) - - Show Bio

If you're wanting to improve your artwork you should pick up "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain." The book's insane.

#31 Posted by ARMIV2 (10074 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm seeing a lot of development in your style, and it's looking great!

Keep it up, please.

#32 Posted by Cutter (1026 posts) - - Show Bio

@armiv2 said:

I'm seeing a lot of development in your style, and it's looking great!

Keep it up, please.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
#33 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (10331 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: These look fantastic. You might want to check out this guy's Youtube channel. It helped be a lot when I tried a more realistic approach to my art.

#34 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6730 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie: @cutter: @armiv2: @silverpool: @bumpyboo: Thank you all very much for your comments and suggestions for reading material/online guides. :D

Wanted to say thanks so I just drew a quick picture so I could respond with more art, as I try to do in threads like this. :)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Hope you like it. :)

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
#35 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Looks good, better then anything I can draw. Ugh... way to make me feel bad about myself, you can be so inconsiderate.

Seriously though, great work.

#36 Posted by Tweetie (54 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it. Keep it up.

#37 Posted by Shot (2987 posts) - - Show Bio

Keep it up, what's your inspiration?

#38 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6730 posts) - - Show Bio

@shot: Thanks. :D Inspiration, like favourite comic book artists?

@tweetie: @captainmarvel4ever: Thanks. :D

Anyway, just a couple of recent sketches. Comments welcome. :)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I digitally tweaked this one, as I thought the jaw/lips were a little small. Better original or tweaked?

No Caption Provided

And not sure if this belongs in this thread, but never mind. :)

No Caption Provided

#39 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6730 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainmarvel4ever: Thanks. :) Do you draw?

Anyway, tried drawing Faora tonight.

Pencils:

No Caption Provided

Ink:

No Caption Provided

Digitally altered the jaw and added colour and shading:

No Caption Provided

And tweaked lighting and a glow effect:

No Caption Provided

Any suggestions or comments welcome. :)

#41 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: I do a bit here and there, but I'm pretty talentless in that field. i can draw scenery and animals ok, but not people.

#42 Posted by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose:

They all look awesome Scarlottee.

You are very talented.

Keep up the good work ^_^

#43 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6730 posts) - - Show Bio

@claymore1998: Thank you. :D

@captainmarvel4ever: Plenty of good can be done with them. :)

Anyway, I'm making an effort to try and draw a little every day now, to get practised. I think I'm starting to a improve a little. :) Here's some work from today:

Sketch:

No Caption Provided

Digitally coloured:

No Caption Provided

And a bit of Desolation Jones fan art:

No Caption Provided

Feedback welcomed. :)

#44 Posted by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: it's my pleasure and these new arts are super awesome too.

Keep up the good work ^_^

#45 Edited by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: oh and post number 34, hehe, I am somehow convinced that's exactly what you look like =)

#46 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6730 posts) - - Show Bio

@claymore1998: Thank you. :D

Nah, I'm much more realistic looking than that. :) I'll maybe try a self portrait someday. :)

Anyway, more art:

A coloured version of Desolation Jones:

No Caption Provided

Elektra:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Judge Dredd:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Tanga:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

And just a face:

No Caption Provided

Feedback welcomed as usual. :)

#47 Edited by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: No worries and looking realistic is no fun >_>

Hehe and as always, your art works are amazing. You are very talented, keep up the good work and please continue tagging me if and when you post more arts.

^_^

#48 Posted by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Hehe also the power puff girl in your art reminds me of the BumpyBoo hehe ^_^

#49 Edited by Fiesty_Badger6 (406 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say the sides of the nose's bridge is something you should only indicate shading with. In other words one side of the bridge of the nose gets shaded, or the other, or neither depending on where your light source is coming from. Otherwise you have a peeled banana in the center of your character's face. @v_scarlotte_rose.

Aside from that - your proportions have been steadily improving over the course of this thread but they still need work. I made up a quick template and over laid it over your redheaded elf. I've used the chin, bottom lip and lowest point of the nose as reference points... and as you can see.. with the human face being 3 thirds high and 2 thirds wide the head is too short, too narrow and the ears are too high.

No Caption Provided

drawing adjusted

No Caption Provided

If you are still aiming for realism - correct facial proportion is a really important thing to get a handle on

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
#50 Edited by captain_batman_FTW (8905 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the Faora drawings.