k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*Contains some spoilers*

You've heard Ra's al Ghul's the big bad of this season, right? Well, now it's time to finally see how he's brought into the story! "The Magician" primarily revolves around Nyssa al Ghul (Katrina Law) finding out about Sara Lance's death and she -- along with Laurel Lance -- immediately blame Malcolm Merlyn (John Barrowman). They both want him dead, but Oliver's doing the whole hero thing and wants to avoid killing. Will Malcolm finally push him over the edge and make him kill? Does the fact he's Thea's father impact Ollie's thoughts on the subject? All of these points are heavily discussed throughout the episode.

The "to kill or not to kill" path has been taken one too many times and I'll get to why I didn't think it was necessary in a little bit, but a nice surprise in this episode was Nyssa basically being the voice of reason when it comes to Laurel. I'll be honest with you, it's tough for me to imagine Laurel becoming Black Canary. She can obviously train and train to become a good fighter, but it's her personality and outbursts that make me believe she's not fit to be out in the streets and making difficult decisions. Nyssa bluntly says she's unfit to wear Sara's jacket -- a line which made me smile -- but al Ghul then kind of serves as a mentor. It's not until way later on, but Nyssa did make me recognize how powerful Laurel's drive is. Assuming it's handled properly and over a good amount of time, I can see myself slowly opening up to the idea of Laurel becoming a heroine.

John Barrowman (Malcolm Merlyn) and Paul Blackthorne's (Quentin Lance) performances were easily the highlight of this week's episode. Barrowman gives Malcolm so much personality; even something as simple as smirking after being attacked fills the character with charisma. Honestly, he tends to outshine other characters and his acting pulls more emotions from me. Plus, watching him casually dodge an arrow was the coolest moment in the episode. With everything going on between him and Thea, Arrow, and now the League of Assassins, he's sure to be an interesting and critical character as we move forward. As for Blackthorne, his sequence in the end is without question the most emotional scene. In an episode full of heated conversations and watery eyes, Lance leaving his daughter a voicemail was heartbreaking. They're going to make his arc painful for us, aren't they?

Felicity's absence really is felt. "The Magician" goes for dramatic moment after dramatic moment and no one's there to really make you smile. Look, I understand the stuff that's going down is dark, but she brings a nice balance to the show. If anything, her appearance in the end made this pretty obvious. With just a single line she made me laugh. Without her charm there to help lighten the mood just a tad, episodes like this one feel overly dramatic at times.

I admit my knee-jerk reaction to Ra's al Ghul's debut was a negative one. They did a nice job teasing the reveal, but after having such iconic versions of the villain in film and the animated series, the bar has been raised pretty high, hasn't it? Still, it's far too soon to stand by the immediate response because the guy's only had a handful of lines and many of us obviously had very high expectations. So, let's just wait and see how this plays out. Even without comparing him to previous incarnations of the character, Manu Bennett's time as the main villain in the last season is a tough act to follow. Here's hoping he grows on us.

No Caption Provided

Arrow tends to have impressive stunts, but sometimes there's action that feels like it's there to show off their stunts instead of having any meaning behind the fight. I felt that way about Roy's flip when he spotted Nysaa (sliding across the hood would have been more effective, wouldn't it?) and the final fight between three characters. Yes, tension is running high, but it's odd to have Malcolm say they need to talk and then basically go, "Screw it. Let's fight!" While this show usually has awesome hand-to-hand sequences, this one felt less focused and more like three people doing cool moves as blunt sound effects are added in. The Nyssa vs. Oliver bit was exciting, but what could have been a jaw-dropping final fight didn't come close to living up to previous action sequences.

The "kill or don't kill" conflict didn't feel as gripping as I hoped it would have. Malcolm mentions how no prison can hold him and he even comments on the hidden one, but why not at least try to defeat him? Ollie has a variety of trick arrows that can incapacitate him, after all. After that, give Waller a call and have him sent to the location with Slade (or another facility). It seems to be holding Deathstroke just fine, and that dude has enhanced physicals. I get Malcolm's a deadly guy with insane training, but I'm failing to see how that means it's impossible to contain him. This world has shown it has some pretty thorough facilities.

Minor gripe and doesn't impact the score: Did anyone else find a little odd that Oliver sent Roy to follow Nyssa al Ghul, a super deadly character from the League of Assassins? I know Oliver couldn't miss his meeting with Thea (especially after all they've been through) and this isn't a jab at Roy, but I'd seriously question his safety in that situation given the person he's following. Roy has proven himself a good sidekick, but trailing someone like that? Tough task.

The backstory is covering familiar territory (Oliver dealing with killing), but at least it gave the episode a wee bit of humor, a nice Easter egg (Ferris Air) and the return of a familiar face. It didn't compliment the main narrative all that much, but they're slowly building interest in this time period. Here's hoping this story begins to pick up the pace sooner rather than later.

Even though "The Magician" is full of drama, it leaves me thinking about Arrow's future instead of reflecting on what just happened. The fight sequences were okay and many of the interactions felt like they were building upon pre-existing arcs instead of giving them too many significant developments (e.g. relationships with Thea, Laurel's mentality). All in all, it primarily felt like it was there just to finally bring Ra's al Ghul into the picture. Well, it's time to see how the rest of Season 3 will be handled now that the Demon's Head has made his first appearance!

Oh, and do you guys also think Malcolm's telling the truth about Ra's, right? You know, about how the Demon's Head killed Sara because of her relationship with his daughter, yes? She recognized her killer and she certainly knows him. If it's not Malcolm, we can eliminate Thea as an option (which seemed unlikely to begin with), so all signs point to Ra's... or someone we've yet to meet. But Ra's seems more likely, doesn't he?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I was expecting Zatanna from the title.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

@xwraith said:

I was expecting Zatanna from the title.

Your not alone my friend.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Not my favorite episode. Not bad, but lacking. I agree that this episode didn't really bring much new material to the table.

I really want to like Nyssa, but she just didn't do it for me this episode. She comes across more like an archtype than an actual character. Even her initial reaction to Sara's death (the closest I've come to finding her interesting) was brief and underexplored. I sincerely hope that we get a better look into her character in the future. I really do want to like her.

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well looks like flash is never going to get Felicity staying for a whole episode.

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I thought this was a really solid episode. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I liked the episode 4/5 and yes I believe Malcolm that Ra's killed Sara

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Kidd

OK episode can't wait till someone make that Ra's Nolan vs Arrow battle thread, also anyone else find it hard to believe Waller is willing to sacrifice 100+ just to kill China White?

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lurkero

I wish Nyssa was a regular character. She is such a great voice of reason. I DO NOT want to see Oliver struggle with killing people again. If Malcolm Merlyn tries to kill YOU you kill HIM. It's that simple.

Also, I don't think I would like Laurel as Black Canary. Thea is right there. Why not, writers?

Speaking of writers. They do not give characters realistic motivations for keeping secrets. Why are Thea and Oliver still lying to each other? Why is Laurel not informing her father of Sara's death? There is nothing there that warrants the secrecy.

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I didn't really feel (it was okay) this episode tonight, I thought the acting done by John Barrowman was just phenomenal! And also that scene where Roy did the whole flip thing, I thought it was pretty funny cause of how he was trying to show off his flipping skills or whatever and then suddenly he gets shot by Nyssa

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FLASH >>>>>> ARROW

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and don't want her to be BC

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

This season of Arrow hasn't been really great so far.....

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

I liked the episode 4/5 and yes I believe Malcolm that Ra's killed Sara

Agree with both statements. I think Malcolm is going to die though I really hope he doesn't.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How badass was Thea when Roy went down and she stepped up to Nyssa without blinking an eye? Gurl was ready to throw down!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nyssa is annoying and bossy.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: she was going to blow starling city to stop deathstroke

Avatar image for fallen_crippled
Fallen_Crippled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I laughed extremely hard when Roy did that flip thing and got taken down so easily. He was trying to show off! HAHA!

I thought Thea was the one that killed Sara and still kind of do. Why was Malcolm looking for Thea in Starling City around the time that Sara was killed? What was Thea doing there? I don't know if this was addressed or not. But Ra's also seems likely to be the killer.

EdgeJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EdgeJohn

lol 3 out of 5 for this trainwreck! AOS destroys this pathetic excuse of a show

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I would give this 2/5

Something just felt so off.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Malcom is so badass, He embarrassed Nyssa.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This season so far has felt off to me but I felt this was one of the better episodes so far this season. 4/5

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheMantisShrimp

When did Ollie start thinking Merlyn was dead?

I also don't think Ollie wants Merlyn behind bars because he wants to protect Thea and for better or worse he is damn capable of doing so.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I feel like I enjoyed this episode more than the couple reviews I've seen for it but this season still hasn't quite picked up yet. Especially when compared to The Flash or even the Constantine pilot (which I loved), this season has been lacking. The mystery surrounding Sara's death isn't grabbing me, the flashbacks aren't all that compelling yet, and Laurel is awful. I haven't been fond of her since the beginning of the show but jeez, I was hoping by now she would be worthwhile. Instead, she is lecturing people who have way more experience than her about things she really doesn't understand. Her obvious transition into Canary has been a tough pill to swallow. Also, if it turns out that Ra's was behind Sara's death then that was way too obvious imo. They keep playing up the mystery of it but that is who I assumed was behind it from the second she died. The biggest plus for me in this episode was Katrina Law as Nyssa al Ghul. She is really great in my opinion and I could use even more of her in this show.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@themantisshrimp: Oliver thought he killed him at the end of season one. He never saw him alive after that, until now. Thea and Moira were the only two who did and Moira died before she could tell him and Thea left with Malcolm.

bizzy4chem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bizzy4chem

I think Amanda Waller has a mental disorder. In her head its like "blow them up, missiles away!!!!!!" anytime she hears of a target in an area with civilians. Solid episode though, would have given it a 4/5

Avatar image for deactivated-5da8e253e9df8
deactivated-5da8e253e9df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28 dernman  Online

Good episode though there were things I didn't like.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Did anyone else think that the flashbacks would be more interesting and relevant to the episode if they had shown Oliver struggling about assassinating somebody he didn't know the entire time and ultimately doing so to save his own life? The assassination aspect of the flashbacks was over in seconds. Maybe the time would've been better used showing Oliver's struggle with being backed into a corner and ultimately choosing the morally wrong path. That definitely would have been more in synch with Oliver's issues in the present day.

JV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Damn I am a bad critic. I thought this was the best episode of the year. 4 or 5. LOL I'll keep my day job.

eh, but then again, I liked Water world.

graftn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By graftn

I don't think it was Ra's. I think Malcolm thinks it was Ra's, and I think the writers want us to think it was as well, but it seems too easy and too early for it to be Ra's, and I don't buy that he'd even care enough to have her killed. Earlier in the season it was said that the League does not kill their own, and I think that line was for the audience, specifically people who pay attention, telling them to not be fooled. I think the real killer is either someone we haven't seen before, or someone so crazy we couldn't possibly know. I don't think we can confidently use the reaction as clues to who the killer is, and that once we do know the reaction won't make sense.

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the first time, I'm interested in the flashbacks. The main plot was okay-ish. Nothing to write home about. I definitely believe Merlyn. I'm overall less interested in Ra's and Sara and the current arc than I am interested in the OMAC stuff they teased.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@graftn said:

I don't think it was Ra's. I think Malcolm thinks it was Ra's, and I think the writers want us to think it was as well, but it seems too easy and too early for it to be Ra's, and I don't buy that he'd even care enough to have her killed. Earlier in the season it was said that the League does not kill their own, and I think that line was for the audience, specifically people who pay attention, telling them to not be fooled. I think the real killer is either someone we haven't seen before, or someone so crazy we couldn't possibly know. I don't think we can confidently use the reaction as clues to who the killer is, and that once we do know the reaction won't make sense.

In the comics, Ra's has very high standards for who Talia should be with. I wouldn't be surprised if that transfers over and he had Sara -- a character he likely doesn't admire/respect -- killed upon hearing about her relationship with his daughter, Nyssa. If it's a character we haven't even seen yet, I sincerely hope it's not just some throwaway villain. Can't help but wonder if that character was ordered by Ra's, though.

Also, I was suspecting Ra's before they tried to pin it on Malcolm and he responded that way ;)

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good ep. Ra's looks cool.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DeathandGrim

How'd this episode get a 3 with THAT FIGHT SCENE? Also lulz at Roy getting instabopped by Nyssa.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still banking on Thea. Malcolm kept saying, "It wasn't ME", "Her blood is not on MY hands". So basically he isn't lying about it, he just isn't telling the whole truth. And with the tangled web of lies everyone is telling everybody, it fits the bill.

If she did die by Ra's, it wasn't by his hand either. You see the amount of respect he commands from Nyssa ( I.E. kneeling, not looking in his face). If Sara saw him on that rooftop, she would have had a different reaction.

I agree with 3 stars tho. We all knew malcolm was aware of the tracker arrow right? I was with you on Roy spying.

Lastly, on the no killing standoff, I couldn't have been the only one thinking, "Ok, just shoot him in the leg already." Hell, he shot Roy when he wanted him to stand down, why wouldn't you incapacitate Malcolm at the very least?

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgejohn said:

lol 3 out of 5 for this trainwreck! AOS destroys this pathetic excuse of a show

First off, let me point out that AOS has only had a handful of solid episodes (this season is WAY better than last) while Arrow has had two successful SEASONS thus far.

Second, I noticed in another one of your breathtakingly poignant posts that you refer to Flash as a wannabe Quicksilver and Arrow as a Hawkeye rip off. You do realize, don't you, that both Green Arrow and The Flash have been around WAY longer than either of those characters, right?

Last, I know you love Marvel. In fact, it looks like everyone knows. And really, I appreciate your loyalty. But when you go trolling like this, it really just shows your age and immaturity. No one is respecting you or your opinion. If you are bullied at school or whatever, I suggest asking your parents to enroll you in martial arts or something instead of this troll shtick that you seem so intent on spewing forth. This is not making you a better person.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 the_stegman  Moderator

That fight scene was kinda silly, so many unnecessary flips and kicks. This episode was a bit weak, I'd give it a 3 too.

Avatar image for vincent_valjean
Vincent_Valjean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vincent_Valjean

@lurkero: Thea as Black Canary?Seriously?

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By theMightyMODOK

How hard would it be for Dc to a least once casta arabic actor as arabic characters? Ra's al Gaul is not a white dude!

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By mickey-mouse

How hard would it be for Dc to a least once casta arabic actor as arabic characters? Ra's al Gaul is not a white dude!

Hey can I get a job?

No Caption Provided

Anyway, I already hate the actor playing Ra's. Not because he is white, but because he looks like some scrappy homeless bum. They should have gotten someone who looks more imposing.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That fight scene was kinda silly, so many unnecessary flips and kicks. This episode was a bit weak, I'd give it a 3 too.

Yeah, that 3 way fight just annoyed me. It was terrible choreography.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys who do you think killed Sarah?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lurkero: Because, Thea will most likely wind up being Speedy. Partially because he's been calling her that since she was a kid.

With that said, I kind of wish she'd just been killed off earlier anyway.

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By redleader1

I really don't like that fact that they are using ras. They are just using him to show cool ninja stunts and not to actually do something with his philosophy. They could as time goes on but it seems he is just there as a pointless attempt to make fans happy. They keep trying to switch the tone of the show and the use of such a big and complex character like ras is out of place with this show. Ollie does not work as a parellel to ras, they are not really two sides of the same coin like bats is. So it is really overblowing how important Ollie is and making ras feel kind like just another big ninja guy.

Plus we still have not seen the league actually act like they should. They say they have a code but come across like they are just cool ninjas as a posed to being about rebuilding a better world by killing the corrupt and innocent people. The show really has not even done anything to show they even understand the league or ras. He is just a thing from the comics to make fans shut up, in the eyes of the writers.

Avatar image for the_thaumaturge
The_Thaumaturge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh. It seems out of character for Ra's to go all the way to Starling and personally kill Sara, especially when she wasn't a major threat. Sadly, I don't have enough faith in the show's writers to assume they'll realise this, so I do believe Merlyn. Also, I'm having trouble thinking of a third option - does anyone know any villainous archers from the comics who could have done it?

rollingshadow7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallen_crippled: I had a feeling Sara's killer was Ras, but when I read your theory - holy crap. That would be too good. Oliver would be so conflicted over that.