#1 Posted by joerdie (6 posts) - - Show Bio

So I have some ideas and am wanting to use the api. I am comfortable in the .NET world but don't understand where to get started with using this api. In another thread someone mentioned jq but I have no idea how to get it up and running and every tutorial I have come across seems to jump way ahead, skipping some really important points. I think what would help me would be something like the following.

1. Install ruby in windows

2. install the jq plugin

3. Install nokugiri (sp?) gem

4. an example use of the comic vine api is as follows: "the example"

Now, I don't think these directions are correct, I'm only using them as an example. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Edited by donnrri (5 posts) - - Show Bio

This may not be helpful, but why use Ruby ? You can use anything to build the app and make REST calls ? If you want some pointers let me know.

#3 Edited by ziikutv (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Just use https://www.getpostman.com/ to test your API calls then use them in whatever applications you are making

#4 Edited by joerdie (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not tied to ruby or any other language. I would like to experiment in .NET really. I looked into postman but am now even more confused. for example, the comicvine api doesn't specify what url to use for your requests. is it "comicvine.com"?

I suppose my issue is more basic. Like, am I using OAuth? Which version? I have an API key but what would my tokens be? What would consumer key be? If someone knows how to program a bit and is looking to expand into using an api, this site appears to be intentionally making it more difficult.

#5 Edited by docloliday (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just diving into this myself but you can start with this format: "http://www.comicvine.com/api/<resource>/?api_key=<api_key>&filter=<filter>:<value>&format=json"