API 'search' resource now implicitly uses OR instead of AND?

cbanack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cbanack

Very recently (within the last few hours) my users have started reporting strange search results when using my software to query the ComicVine API. I dug into the issue a bit, and realized that the 'search' resource has changed. Now it "OR"s all search terms instead of "AND"ing them.

So if I search for the query string: "batman arkham unhinged", I used to get back three results (i.e. the three series that have all three of those words in their name.) As of today, when I query for that string, I now get over 700 results back (any series that contains ANY one or more of those three words in their name.)

I also discovered that I can go back to the original behaviour by explicitly specifying the word "AND" between each search term, i.e.:

"batman AND arkham AND unhinged"

My question to the ComicVine API team is this:

Are these changes accidental, or are they a permanent, intentional API change? I'd like to go ahead an update my software to use "AND" between search terms, that way my users are not bogging your servers down by making unintentionally huge search queries.

(@frobie might be interested in this)

matthewlupo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can confirm that this is an issue for me as well. It also had started a couple hours ago.

I'm also having issues pulling back a listing of the issues that belong to a volume. The request doesn't seem to come back. Although I haven't looked that much into that problem yet.

matthewlupo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Figured out the issues that belong to a volume issue. It appears the type ID is now a requirement in the URL. But still wondering about the "AND" / "OR" change.

comictagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By comictagger

Yikes, this is a big change! Did I miss a memo?

Like @cbanack asked, is this intentional? I'll add the "AND" fix if this is the way things are going to be.

Help us, @frobie-wan!

lapotchkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By lapotchkin

@cbanack: I found parameter "filter" in specification for some requests. And i used it to search in volumes.

For example:

http://beta.comicvine.com/api/volumes/?api_key=******&format=json&field_list=name,start_year,image&filter=name:Mighty+Avengers

Jakanapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Any updates on this? The AND fix will work, but it would be nice if the api matched the web interface.