Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 206 - "A Fractured House"

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Note: There will be spoilers in our summary.

Recap

General Talbot is talking at the United Nations of the dangers and evil of S.H.I.E.L.D. and how they're using them. Since the Battle of New York, they've been gathering alien tech and building bases all over the world. When a delegate asks for proof, the room is attacked with deadly weapons that disintegrate the targets.

Skye and Simmons are watching Ward in his cell on the monitor when the alarm sounds off about the attack. Coulson figures it's HYDRA seeking revenge. Simmons recognizes he tech killing the victims. Bobbi Morse knows who created the tech. Coulson sends Bobbi and Hunter to talk to him. Hunter has a problem with this but Coulson won't stand for it.

Senator Ward. Evil?
Senator Ward. Evil?

Talbot gets some heat for not having control over he S.H.I.E.L.D. situation. Talbot thinks maybe it's not them. It turns out he's talking to Senator Christian Ward, Agent Ward's brother. He wants to send a task force against the S.H.I.E.L.D. since they're terrorists. Coulson is concerned since they just have a few agents around. If the task force initiative goes through, they're all targets. Coulson talks to an agent in he Netherlands about going dark just to play it safe.

May is flying Morse and Hunter. Morse tries asking May if she's ever been married. She doesn't answer but implies she was and doesn't talk to him. "Good advice." Simmons is going to try analyzing the HYDRA hard drive. Fitz wants to help but can't really. Skye tries getting information about Ward's older brother. Ward says they should stay away from his brother. He seeks bringing pain to others. He's worried Christian knows he's here with them. Ward tries saying he's never lied and starts talking about her father. She bursts out, "He's a monster. You forgot to mention that." Coulson shuts down the cell and tells Skye to stay on task.

Morse goes to talk to Toshiro. She's going to use her HYDRA cover, which might be blown, if necessary. Toshiro brings up the 'rumor' hat she's working for S.H.I.E.L.D. She says they're all working for S.H.I.E.L.D., as seen on the news with the terrorist attack at the U.N. They were using what Toshiro calls "splinter bombs." Toshiro hopes to work for The Diviner (the name we heard in the last episode for the Obelisk). A message comes in that her cover was blown. Hunter rushes off with May. Fight! Morse did find out the next target is in Belgium.

Fitz is still trying to decipher he files. He tells Simmons not to look at him hitherto way she is. He confronts her about leaving when he needed her. He says she gave up on him. She says she left because...she trails off and says she can't do this right now.

Coulson makes his way into Senator Ward's office. The Senator says Coulson just wants something. Coulson turns things around by bringing up his brother. Asks what if the public found out his brother was HYDRA, especially during an election year? The a Senator seems concerned. He asks what he told Coulson. The Senator says Ward is all about lies. Skye goes to talk to Ward again while Coulson is away. Each Ward brother is saying the other is lying. The Senator says that Ward couldn't be left alone with their younger brother. Says there's something hiding and he keeps looking for someone to believe his lies. Coulson says he knows a way they can both get what they want.

Ward tells Skye her father killed for her. The entire village that died was HYDRA. He says they found her. They killed her mom and her father lost it. He killed everyone. Ward says he has connections and can take her to her father. She doesn't believe him but he says they can go off together. He can trust her. She says she'll get him out. They can leave together. It turns out Coulson is turning over Ward for in exchange for the anti-S.H.I.E.LD. Initiative to go away.

Mac and Fitz May have uncovered something on the file. Coulson returns and Ward tries telling him to wait before turning him over. He says he can help. Coulson says he sat there for three months. He goes off on Ward about dropping Fitz and Simmons out of the Bus, for killing Victoria Hand, etc. Ward will never be part of his team.

Vincent Beckers was the name Mac and Fitz uncovered. He was the target but was really working with the mercs to infiltrate the safe house. The agents there are killed. Hunter walks into the safe house with some beer as a distraction. More fighting.

No Caption Provided

Simmons thanks Mac for being Fitz's friend. He says he just likes him. Says she's causing problems for him. She says that's why she left.

Hunter says he's going to leave. S.H.I.E.L.D. was always her thing. She says to stay alive. But he can stay if he wants. The transfer of Ward begins. The Senator is giving a speech. May turns over the mercs to Talbot. He asks how many were killed. She says six. He says it's a shame when good soldiers are lost and shakes her hand. The Senator makes a speech about his brother being part of HYDRA. As Ward is being transferred, he starts rubbing his thumb again, something he's been doing in his cell. He manages to dislocate his thumb and escapes.

A guy walks into a tattoo parlor to finish what he's been getting. He has the alien symbols all over his body.

Thoughts

No Caption Provided

The show continues it's up and down pattern. The reminder that the attack in New York was two years ago was eye-opening. That's the great thing about the Cinematic Universe, time passes naturally. We're seeing some interesting developments as HYRDA and S.H.I.E.L.D. are involved in a strange dance trying to outdo the other. The public attacks in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s name is a pretty smart move. It really puts the team on the defensive.

Ward has mainly been stuck in his cell the entire season. He's given the occasional bit of intel but there's also been episodes where he hasn't been seen. Having his older brother, the Senator, appear opens up the door to Ward's past. Throughout the exchanges, it's starts to become a mind game for viewers as we can't tell who is lying, who is more evil.

There's also a continuation of character development between Fitz and Simmons, Mac, and Bobbi and Hunter. The show tries its best to remind us these characters are human. They have their personalities, quirks, and pasts that come up.

Then there's the fighting. The action sequences have been pushed further this season. Having more Adrianne Palicki as Mockingbird allows for more butt-kicking. Not to be outdone, Ming-Na Wen has her share of fighting in a nice fight scene as well.

There were moments it felt like not as much happened in this episode as some of the previous ones this season. The further fleshing of characters and the fight sequences are keeping us entertained. Not every episode can or should have big dire consequences. The absence of Whitehall or Skye's father was actually good for a breather. If this was the big episode ABC wanted people to see while waiting for the new Avengers: Age of Ultron footage, I'm not sure if this is the one to win over new viewers. I'd be curious to know what others thought.

The show is still on the right track. We'll just have to hope it doesn't lose its momentum as we won't get an episode next week due to the Marvel 75th Anniversary special.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

I've only seen a couple episodes from season 1, but I decided to check this episode out today and I was pleasantly surprised. Sure I was lost about a few things, but I'm glad the show has moved towards a more SHIELD/action-oriented show instead of a bunch of college kids running around with technology. Mockingbird was badass and it convinced me to start watching the show. I'll go back to season 1 on Netflix and catch the rest of the episodes. I was surprised to see Talbot, that was cool to have other Marvel characters in there (no idea when he was introduced, again I don't watch the show). Also, that Age of Ultron clip that aired with this was pretty creepy...

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papinacho: It was a scene with the Avengers trying to lift Thor's hammer. Nobody is able to and Thor declares they are unworthy, where Ultron steps out and says "Of course you're not worthy, you're all puppets". Marvel's twitter account said they would be releasing the clip soon

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By WheatStalker

Hell yeah Talbot's on our side!

Also, confirmation Mariah Hill is the woman in the red dress from the Ultron trailer. Still don't know who's in the blue dress. Cap budging Mjolnir ... even more awesome than the look on Thor's face. :)

Also, also, Mockingbird in a Star Wars baby doll t-shirt at SHIELD headquarters ... I can die now, I've seen all the best things in life. :)

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FearTheLiving

Mark Scarlotti as Whiplash, enjoying his tools of the trade.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was tempted to give this show another try.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BigL
FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My thoughts on the episode is that it was alright some good character development though Hunter again feels like a character they're using to faze out that part of Clint's life which is extremely annoying. Other than that the villain didn't talk much but he had some cool moves and interesting gadgets. Mockingbird also has more fight scenes but with the lobby dubby stuff with Hunter makes me not want to make gifs of that at the moment. So content with Whiplash for a while. Overall I liked last episode better but this one set up quite a bit (Grant, SHIELD attacks, Relationships) so it was alright.

If we never see Clint and Bobbi together at some point this is gonna eat up at me, throughout the season...

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't think they could have done a better casting job for Mockingbird.

EdgeJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best show ever! This show craps on that quicksilver knock off show as well as that Hawkeye bootleg show

Crimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Crimz
Crimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great episode, Ward is going to be a problem.

red_rover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mockingbird is this show's Seven of Nine for all the right reasons.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Really enjoyed the episode. Really interested to see what's going to happen now that Ward is back on the board. I'm really glad that Skye didn't fall for his talk and run away with him because it would have been a big step back in her character progression.

Nothing much to complain about at all with it.

nfareed71024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The second best comci book related show on TV besides the Walking Dead

nfareed71024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@transformers1024: totally agree. I wonder if they will abandon Hawkeye and Black Widow's "budding romance" for Mockingbird and Hawkeye so she can become his ex-wife like in the comics lol

morgena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By morgena

Start working at home with Google! It's by-far the best job I've had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this - 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. I work through this link, go to tech tab for work detail

---------------------->http://www.jobs700.com

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FearTheLiving

Here's some more of the beautiful Bobbi Morse aka Mockingbird :)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#22  Edited By SynCig

This season has been stronger than the first by far but it still doesn't do it for me. I don't watch the show live anymore because I watch Supernatural in that timeslot but I've been recording every episode. I'm a few behind now but I just don't care to watch them. I may wait until most of my shows are on break for the holiday season and then catch up then when I have the time.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

What is it with Marvel senators and being a-holes?