Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 208 - "The Things We Bury"

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Note: There will be spoilers in our summary.

Recap

No Caption Provided

Austria 1945. Whitehall has the Obelisk and trying to conduct more tests. He's making people touch it to see how long it takes to kill them. One women isn't affected. It starts to glow and symbols appear on it. Whitehall wants to dissect her but the Red Skull has fallen and Allies are on the way.

In the present, Whitehall has Skye's dad and is demanding answers (are they ever going to reveal his name?). He tells Whitehall to tell him what they know about the Obelisk. When Whitehall says it's a weapon, Skye's dad says it's a key. When one of the special people touches it, it'll open up a lot more.

Coulson is headed to Hawaii while May has to stay behind. Morse is interrogating Bakshi. Mac is concerned with how violent Coulson was (in the previous episode). He's talking to Hunter but Simmons comes in. Bakshi says Whitehall was a disciple of Red Skull. The escaped Grant Ward finds his brother, Christian, the Senator, and grabs him.

In Hawaii, Coulson gives missions to Skye and Trip. He we even gives one to Fitz. The missions don't make sense but Coulson isn't giving any more explanations.

Morse tries to figure out Bakshi. Simmons finds old research files including Agent Carter's original file since their base is the old one.

No Caption Provided

Flashback to Peggy interrogating Whitehall. He teases her about the mysteries of all he things they have locked up. In the present, he's comparing notes with Skye's dad. The object fell from the sky and the visitors planned on ending mankind. In the present, Skye's dad offers to help try to find the city. Whitehall is concerned about him trying to take the power for himself. Skye's dad says he doesn't want any power. He just wants to kill his enemy and join his family...in he afterlife.

Ward is taking his brother through the woods. Christian Ward says it was his plans that let Grant escape. Ward wants to get back at him over the incident at the well with their little brother.

Fitz is practicing trying to regain his muscle memory and rebuild a device under pressure. He wonders if he's being tested or just being kept busy. Now they're off to Australia.

In a vault at the base, May, Hunter, and Simmons look through more files. Simmons sees an old file with Whitehall's picture. It turns out he was kept at a prison callepd "The Rat" for life. They wanted to keep him just in case they needed him. 44 years later, he's being moved because of budget cuts and because he's old. The man says, "Hail Hydra." They found "the woman." Back in Austria, they bring in all the elders from the village. The woman that touched the Obelisk is still alive and young. Whitehall is ready to find out what makes her so special.

Morse talks to Bakshi again. She's trying to taunt him by saying he's afraid. He tries turning it on Bobbi by asking her how she would feel if her friends knew what she did in order to get in deep with HYDRA. She points out that Whitehall will be upset that Bakshi gave him up. She shows him the file. He insists on being loyal and smashes his face against the table. He had a cyanamide capsule in his cheek.

No Caption Provided

Christian digs up the well that was buried. Ward wants Christian to admit he was the one that made him push their brother into the well. He was the one always putting ideas into his head. Ward threatens to throw him in and gets him to admit he wanted heir parents dead. Their brother was the only one their parents didn't torture. Ward says that's all he wanted to hear. He tells him, "It's time we went home," and walk off together.

In Australia, the next stage in their plan is in motion. The missions in Hawaii were related. They're trying to find the city. Hydra is already there. They're under fire while Fitz tries building the device. Trip gets shot and one of he hostages says he can help because he's a doctor. Unfortunately it's Skye's father. He starts working on Trip to remove a bullet and slips by saying Phil's name. Skye's dad still wants to impress her. Skye's dad says he needs Whitehall and the end will justify the means. Coulson says that if he lets Trip die, Skye will never forgiv him. He yells that Skye is not her name. He leaves as Coulson tries to save Trip's life. Fitz was able to build the device and Trip might make it.

Whitehall is experimenting and dissecting he woman in a very long and gruesome process. He took what he could from her and somehow made himself young. Ward meets with Whitehall. He believes everyone deserves a second chance, if they can do what it takes to earn it. Ward points out he's willing to do whatever it takes to move forward. On the news, Senator Ward's parents' house is on fire. They think it was a murder/suicide. There was also a recording where he says he wanted them dead.

On the Bus, they got a match for the location where the city should be. Skye's dad is called in by Whitehall. He finds out Ward is there and worked with S.H.I.E.L.D. He tells Ward it's always good to look your enemy in the eye and turns to Whitehall.

Flashback to he village. Skye's dad finds the woman's body and vows revenge for her death.

Thoughts

No Caption Provided

We get some more answers in this episode. We know the truth about what happened in Ward's past. It seems part of why he's evil is due to his brother. But the fact that he was still willing to kill him and his parents shows that Ward is still on the dark side.

One of the questions from this season was how could Whitehall have stayed the same age since 1945. Now we know that he took something from the mysterious woman at the village to make himself younger.

This also ties into Skye's past. We now know there was something special about her mom. She was able to touch the Obelisk without being killed. Whether this means she's alien origin or an Inhuman, remains to be seen. This means that whatever her origin is, it changes who Skye is. Skye is, obviously, not a normal human. There's also the mention that "Skye" isn't her name. Could this mean she might have some connection to an existing comic character? We'll have to wait and hope we find out more soon.

Krissyjump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I absolutely loved this episode. It was absolutely phenomenal (easily one of the top 3 episodes of this TV season) and in my opinion it definitely deserved a 5 star rating. It was tense, taut, funny, thrilling and horrifying all at the same time. It was also a great use of the entire cast (seriously, Raina was like the only character who didn't appear) and the writing really just was fantastic.

Banemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rogue Ward has actually made me like him as a character. He was so very cookie cutter in season one up until the Winter Soldier tie in. Granted season 1 wasn't very good until the Winter Soldier tie in.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man this season has been awesome. Still not liking the Lance & Bobbi relationship but as long as Clint comes in later I can look past it. Next episode is suppose to be very fight heavy according to AP. So if you thought there was a lot of story and not enough combat the last few episodes you should be getting your wish in 2 weeks.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@banemax: I feel like that was kind of the point. To show these character be all green only to flip the switch and see them change through the obstacle that is Hydra.

Merc20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So if the theories about Skye's father being Hyde hold true, then could Skye be the MCU version of Daisy Johnson?

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry but not only does this episode deserve 5 stars, but what is up with this review? Is this how it always is?

It was basically a recap. Then your thoughts section was merely an indepth recap. You didn't tell us what the show did well or bad. You didn't talk about any character developement or plot pacing. You gave it fours stars(even though it deserves 5) yet didn't give us a single reason why. Maybe I'm just new to this but I was kinda hoping for some in-depth discussion, and thoughtful analysis.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FearTheLiving

@truemarvel: This is how it usually is. Though you do bring up some valid points as their episode reviews aren't really reviews outside of the star rating.

EDIT: To be fair that's what most people look for anyways, so I don't really blame them for not going all in depth with their television show reviews.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Another solid episode! Not my favorite of the season, but it answered a lot of questions and built a lot of hype for the next episode. I loved all the flashbacks, Peggy(and Haley) is awesome! So glad Ward didn't just forgive his brother that wouldn't been super weird, and would have destroyed the whole Dark Ward thing. I'm not sure how I feel about the Bobbi/Hunter...thing, it didn't really feel like it needed to happen. I'm torn because I'm so glad Fitz is getting better, but I want to see more of the drama that comes along with broken Fitz. This episode needed more Simmons! I'm starting to dislike Mack with him pushing Jemma and Fitz apart, and questioning Coulson. Does anyway know why AoS is taking ANOTHER break?!

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matthewparker: Adrianne Palicki, she basically said what would usually take a couple of days of shooting in a movie they did in 12 hours.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FearTheLiving

@matthewparker: As for the break. Filming? Thanksgiving week? Other than that I don't know.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By batmite1995

Hmmm I might jump in when it gets a five...still not sold yet

Banemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: I know but the characters, except for Coulson, felt wooden for the most part until the Winter Soldier tie in got moving. Everyone fit their archetype and that was it.

It's better now, since each character is showing more than just one side and are actually growing.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definately would not call this a review, it's informative but certainly not a review. Anyway, this episode kicked ass, the show really feels like it's adding to the MCU instead of taking advantage of its existence.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@banemax: Yeah, but I think that was entirely the point. To show these characters as boring by the book type agents get use to their archetype then flip it and having it fall apart around them.

Not to mention it's the first season which is usually used to get to know the characters and not really build the greatest of stories (aside from a few choice shows). I mean look at most of the new comic book shows that have been on. It's monster/villain of the week with character moments, people are just less inclined to noticed because those shows have super powered main characters.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: oh awesome!

And yeah that's probably it, I'm still bummed though. Also I hope it doesn't hurt the ratings, AoS has gotten so good it needs a season 3!!!

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By ForeverMan

Man, anyone who is still ripping on this show must not be watching. Kyle Maclachlan's performance alone slam dunks anything else we're seeing on superhero television right now.

The Ward developments, the direction of every character on the SHIELD team right now, the clues being dropped about the obelisk, the revelations & twist tying to Skye's past; everything in this show is kind of hitting on all cylinders at the moment.

Definitely one of the best episodes of the series so far.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foreverman: @themantisshrimp: "Man, anyone who is still ripping on this show must not be watching."

"Anyway, this episode kicked ass, the show really feels like it's adding to the MCU instead of taking advantage of its existence.".

I could not agree more.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

loooooved this ep, still think Skyes dad is Dr. Hyde.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheMantisShrimp

@foreverman: agreed, it's unfortunate but I think many people dropped off this show before the winter soldier episodes. I like green arrow, flash and Gotham but no way is the story in any of those shows significantly better than shield. Shield found its groove and is going for the long burn, Im very excited to see how the season plays out.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So from what I've heard about the Inhumans comics, Attilan is originally in the Himalayas but when they get discovered they move to the blue side of the moon. So is the Attilan they find in the next episode an abandoned earth based one, and the one that will be in the movie the moon based one?

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that was awesome, now we know who Skys mom is, who killed her, and how her dad is going to avenge them (giving Hydra a taste of its own medicine)

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This episode kicked ass.

@merc20 said:

So if the theories about Skye's father being Hyde hold true, then could Skye be the MCU version of Daisy Johnson?

That's what I'm thinking as well.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I believe the place that they show the team going in the previews for the next episode is the Old San Juan fort in Puerto Rico. I wonder if what they are looking for is actually in Puerto Rico or if they will say that the location is elsewhere.

It was also basically confirmed that the device is Kree when they were talking about the blue angels that came down. Just another feather in the Inhumans cap.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BullPR

Did they fire someone after the bad start of the season one???

Right now it's incredibly good.

Yesterday's episode was probably the best episode from AoS. The series has now a real depth. I can't believe I write that but as of today AoS is the more solid Comic based TV show around.

"Anyway, this episode kicked ass, the show really feels like it's adding to the MCU instead of taking advantage of its existence."

I agree.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr said:

Did they fire someone after the bad start of the season one???

Nope it's just a story being able to succeed off a now established cast. People can knock the first season, but they really gave you an idea of how these characters were, so it made it all more sweet when the rug was pulled out from under them and started the change of pretty much everyone of the characters.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

I like the theory that Skye's father is Mr. Hyde, but it seems that his motives are a bit more sympathetic than that of his comic book counterpart.

Yes, he could have caused his wife to stay young for far longer due to experimentation. But rather than doing it for "mad scientist" reasons, he might have done it for preservation. In other words the MCU Mr. Hyde could have better motives for his evil ways.

Either way, the idea of Skye being Daisy Johnson is very plausible and exciting. Quake's relationship with SHIELD parallels Skye's even though their personalities don't.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome episode. Definitely a soft R-rated hour as well, with the vivisection of Skye's mom, Ward's familicide, and Bobbi and Hunter going at it like meerkats.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: I agree. It was more a rhetorical question to make a point: the quality difference is so sharp that it gives the feeling that somebody from the writing crew has been fired.

Now, do you think Ward evolution, for example, was planned all along or did they adapt themselves to the public reaction (or to something else)?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr: I think they planned it, very loosely but I think it was planned. I mean he isn't doing anything that different from how he was in the second part of the first season other than being a lot darker is obsession for Skye has been there, so yeah my guess is it was planned.

I still find it funny that after Captain America people thought AOS wasn't aware it was going to happen lol.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: Maybe. Anyway, when Ward said to his brother: "let's go home now" I really thought things will get better between the two brothers.

I guess part of me has still hope for Ward...

nfareed71024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

another five star episode that gets four stars. It's whatever though. Refreshing with the reveal that Skye's father is doing all this to kill whitehall for torturing his wife. Kind of interesting that the diviner holds something inside. Maybe its another infinity stone. it was funny when coulson asked skye's dad about the tesseract and he said he does not knwo what that is.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@nfareed71024: Another option is for users to write their own reviews. They show up on the episode page. So if you strongly disagree with my rating, please add yours. It'd be great if more people did this.

nfareed71024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@g_man: i am not mad at your rating giving that its your opinion and you have the right to think whatever you want to. I just personally think its five stars. Plus four stars is not saying its a bad episode in the first place, just not your definition of a perfect episode.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*SPOILERS*

The alien is officially a Kree!!!

"In an interview with TV Guide, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. executive producer Jeffrey Bell has confirmed that the blue alien found in the Guest House is a member of the Kree race. The revelation will be made officially in the December 2 episode of the series, “Ye Who Enter Here.”

"Our people don't know anything about the Kree or that there's a planet full of them," Bell says. "What they do know is that the strange carvings created by Coulson after he was injected with the Kree serum are actually the map of a city, and they need to find that city before Hydra does. But where is it? Here or on another planet?"

As the prominent blue-skinned alien race of the Marvel Universe, fans have long suspected that the alien was Kree. Chloe Bennet, the actress who plays Skye, basically confirmed this as true in an interview last year, but later tried to back away from her statement.

The confirmation that the alien is Kree, and the Kree’s connection to the Inhumans in Marvel Comics, would seem to be pretty strong evidence that the city everyone on the series is looking for is the Inhuman’s home, Attilan, and that Skye herself is likely an Inhuman. Ronan the Accuser, the villain of Guardians of the Galaxy, was also a member of the Kree race.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., “Ye Who Enter Here,” will air December 2 on ABC."

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good news guys AoS got a 1.6 rating still not great, but an improvement over last weeks rating!

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've enjoyed this season so far.

Bored of Ward, though. Would have preferred him to bite it that go through whatever angsty redemption/deception arc is planned for him.

ReverendHunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry but not only does this episode deserve 5 stars, but what is up with this review? Is this how it always is?

It was basically a recap. Then your thoughts section was merely an indepth recap. You didn't tell us what the show did well or bad. You didn't talk about any character developement or plot pacing. You gave it fours stars(even though it deserves 5) yet didn't give us a single reason why. Maybe I'm just new to this but I was kinda hoping for some in-depth discussion, and thoughtful analysis.

Not only that but it doesn't seem to be spell-checked at all. It doesn't kill the 'review', but it is glaring, and coupled with the tone it's more than a bit distracting.

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Skye's daddy was screaming: That's not her name! I was yelling to the screen hoping Coulson would ask her real name but clearly he doesn't give fuck (untill the season finale).

kantrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Oh man. I have been very nervous about Whitehall and what he can do to the team, but after seeing this episode, I can't wait to see if Skye's dad will get the revenge he is seeking. As for Ward, wow...he went dark. Hella Dark.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I never realized just how psychotic Ward was