epicmeltdown's Fortune And Glory #1 review

Avatar image for epicmeltdown

Fortune and Glory Review

I'm used to Bendis as a writer for Marvel whether it be Daredevil, Ultimate Spider-man, Avengers, etc. I've read quite a bit of his work from the superhero genre but I hadn't ever read Goldfish, Torso, or Jinx. I wasn't really sure what to expect from this volume especially since I'd never seen Bendis' art work before. The cartoonish art style was perfect tonally. My reservations quickly disappeared with in the first few pages. Fortune and Glory was engrossing enough that I read it in one sitting. Bendis wisely never takes his subject matter too seriously. He is quick to poke fun at himself and others. Fortune and Glory revolves around Bendis' early comics career and his attempts to get a Goldfish movie made. It quickly becomes clear that Hollywoodland is more frustrating than glamorous. Bendis goes through highs and lows on his journey which unfortunately never lead to a film. (I can't imagine that detail is a spoiler to anyone familiar with him). But as in all stories about growth, Bendis comes away a little more savvy than he started. Definitely worth the read. A must for any Bendis fan.