Follow

Flash Thompson

Character » Flash Thompson appears in 1920 issues.

Flash frequently bullied Peter Parker but was actually Spider-Man's greatest fan. In time, Flash befriended Peter, became a decorated war hero, and eventually joined the Marvel superheroes as a symbiote host, first with Venom and then with Anti-Venom.

Could Flash change the symbiote's nature?

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GraniteSoldier

For anyone who read the original incarnation of Toxin, you saw Officer Pat Mulligan teach the young symbiote what it meant to be good, even though it seemed the writers have neglected all that in Toxin's recent incarnation. So it got me thinking, can Flash eventually bend the symbiote to his will to being a more benevolent creature? Flash's power is often greatly held back as the symbiote feeds on his rage and other negative emotions, taking over. But if Flash could eventually bend the symbiote's will, on his own without the sedative drugs, he could channel that great power without fear of losing control and potentially causing great destruction and perhaps death around him.

Do you think Flash will ever gain complete control? Do you even think it's a good idea if he did? Would it make the story of Flash-Venom boring if he doesn't live with the threat of losing control?

Tell me what you guys think.

FlashDamn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I think he can but the essence of the conflict the comic revolves around will be list.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Do you think Flash will ever gain complete control? Do you even think it's a good idea if he did?

No idea if Bunn has that idea in mind but yes, I would like to see that happen. We've seen what happens when Flash loses control. It's cool, but it's a card that has been played many times now. I'd like to see a win for Eugene. Let him earn control and then focus on external issues.

But then there's that whole demon thing... never been into fantasy/magic, so that wasn't very appealing to me and I wouldn't mind if that entire point just vanished.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n:

Well that's kind of what got me thinking about it. I haven't seen it mentioned since the U-Foes really, and frankly I agree that it didn't seem to fit with the Venom story. I think an internal confrontation with the symbiote (or symbiote/demon combination) would be a good "cleansing" of Flash's personal demons. He's really trying as of last issue to get his life together, so I think getting the symbiote under control would be a good last step. I don't know if it should happen any time soon, but I think Flash being able to fully dedicate his powers to good would be a nice touch. I think it would help evolve the character down the road so it does not become stagnant with no personal growth.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he can but the essence of the conflict the comic revolves around will be list.

With such strong will he could "turn the symbiote too good". But that wouldn't ruin the story. On the opposite, it would a next step in the story evolution.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashdamn:

Just out of curiosity, would you not want to see the symbiote ever change? Do you think it should stay an evil being but change hosts? I only ask because I can't help but feel if the dynamic between Flash and the symbiote never changes the story would start to stagnate. Again not saying it should be anytime soon, but an idea for the future.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bystander

@flashdamn:

Just out of curiosity, would you not want to see the symbiote ever change? Do you think it should stay an evil being but change hosts? I only ask because I can't help but feel if the dynamic between Flash and the symbiote never changes the story would start to stagnate. Again not saying it should be anytime soon, but an idea for the future.

Long-away future perhaps...

wolverine1610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he could, they do basically share a mind and with the suit being drugged up alot of the time it doesnt really have a choice but to observe what flash does and thinks. i think one day he's gonna need some help and the suit is gonna usurp control and save flash's life in a heroic non violent kind of way and be all surprised and whatnot. im personally digging this new venom

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's interesting seeing how thing turned out 3 years later

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.