Having been challenged to read 5,000 comics at one time on a bet, the unknown man suffered brain damage and immediately appeared afterwards as The Flaming Carrot. The Flaming Carrot's costume consists of a giant carrot for a mask, with a perpetually burning flame atop the head. In the mask, The Flaming Carrot has been known to store a few items, most notably a nuclear powered pogo stick. The Flaming Carrot usually wears a white shirt, red pants, and flippers on his feet. He says he wears the flippers in the event he has to swim.
The Flaming Carrot also employs a few other non-essential items which he somehow manages to make into weapons. He wears a utility belt, not unlike Batman. However, in the utility belt, he uses items such as sneezing powder, silly putty, cards, and a soap bubble pipe. He has also used plungers to assist him in climbing walls. Additionally, The Flaming Carrot is not above using firearms against villains.
The Flaming Carrot has encountered bizarre things, such as alien invasions, clones of Hitler's boots (which were self-ambulatory and tried to take over the world), and suffered amnesia. In one issue, the Flaming Carrot encountered burnt, flying dead dogs. The Flaming Carrot often spouts sayings, one-liners and other quotations that are highly inappropriate during battle and during routine happenings. His infamous phrase is "Ut!". Inexplicably, women seem to be attracted to him.
The Flaming Carrot helped found the group The Mystery Men. Members include The Shoveler, Mr. Furious, and other low-rung heroes. The Flaming Carrot has had crossover appearances with other comic book characters, most notably an obscure character named Herbie, but he also appeared with Raphael from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Raphael had suffered amnesia and decided to fight crime along with The Flaming Carrot in a different crime-fighting identity.
The Flaming Carrot was created by Bob Burden.
The Flaming Carrot has been published by different publishers, from Aardvark-Vanaheim, Renegade Press, & Dark Horse. The Flaming Carrot didn't appear for a number of years, but Image has since published a few issues since 2005.
The Flaming Carrot has the honor of using some of the oddest and most seemingly useless weapons and equipment in comic history. Listed below are gadgets, gizmos and gear that the Flaming Carrot has used throughout his time as a super hero.
- Utility Belt: Flaming Carrot uses a utility belt (similar to the popular hero, Batman) which holds a plethora of different items. These items are a yo-yo, lucky rabbits foot, laughing gas, magnifying glass, band aids with little stars and rockets printed on them, silly putty, a skeleton key, stink bombs, a decoder badge, pez candy, a magnet, a bubble pipe, super glue, a wish bone, trading cards, invisible ink, sneeze powder and fizzies.
- Baloney Gun: The Baloney Gun was a weapon introduced in the Flaming Carrot's toy-line, thus forcing Flaming Carrot to use it for promotional purposes.
- Flippers: The Flaming Carrot wears flippers on his feet should he ever have to swim.
- Nuclear Powered Pogo Stick: A collapsible Pogo stick created by Doctor Heller. According to the Flaming Carrot it was once used as a question on jeopardy.
- 9MM Parabellum: It's a gun, simple as that.
- The Flame: A device created by Doctor Heller has been implanted in the Flaming Carrot's head. The force of the flame can be increased or decreased via a small flap on the side of the head. While it mainly serves for cosmetic purposes it can also be used as a weapon to burn foes to a cinder!
- Toilet Plungers: The Flaming Carrot uses these should he have to cling to surfaces.
- Mysterious Speaker: A mysterious speaker that was implanted into his chest by an unknown. On occasion a voice is heard from the speaker, warning FC of dangers or giving him insights on his current situation.