Follow

Firestorm

Character » Firestorm appears in 1152 issues.

Originally a composite being, Firestorm had power over fire and heat, and could alter the atomic structure of objects

Carbon Copy Villains and the Future of Firestorm

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz
    Neither of these two characters is Firestorm 
    Neither of these two characters is Firestorm 
    For those that have read my review of The Fury of Firestorm #4, I apologize beforehand because some of my comments here will mirror those.  As I keep saying I am still working through my backed up readings since the month off that I missed (though I am only a week behind now.)  This morning my sequential process of reading caught me up to Hawk and Dove and issue #5.  This is the first series of those being canceled to make way for the second wave of the new 52 that I have read knowing about the pending cancellations.  With that in mind though, this issue was completely awful and save for some of the ones in the early part of Red Hood and the Outlaws (which I begrudgingly admit is getting better) this is the single worst issue I have read thus far in the new 52 from the perspective of trying to tell a story (the Red Hood stories were bad for other reasons, namely the depiction of Starfire.)  Still with this failure I think there are some lessons which can be learned from this failed series.  One might be to never to try to give these characters their own ongoing monthly again, they are nice characters and I especially like Dawn, but they have consistently proven themselves to not to be able to hold down a monthly series.  I think that there is a better lesson to be learned here though and one which can be applied to Firestorm.  In Hawk and Dove the main villains which were introduced were Condor and Swan.  Granted this alone took a lot of lacking imagination to come up with.  "Hawk and dove" is of course a long standing term for outlook on war which has been co-opted by the political systems in North America, where those words are supposed to be almost insults.  Condor and swan on the other hand means nothing.  Yet the characters were created as almost carbon copies of the heroes.  This creates a situation where it is really hard for the reader to associate with the villains.  Most of the great villains are so because they are nothing like the hero.  For instance, in Superman comics I have always found that the least engaging villains are those that can stand face-to-face with Superman and fight it out.  Rather the villains such as Lex Luthor and Brainiac that have confront him in different ways are much more engaging to read.  Even a villain like Bizarro who is mostly the same as Superman still seems as though he is different enough due to outlook.  This comes back to the impending problem with Firestorm.  Thus far the two hero firestorms have faced off only against governmental black ops squads, but the firestorm protocol is being used elsewhere to create other villains by the same process., a Quraci and a Russian (Pozhar).  The original Firestorm dating back to the late 1970s had a decent and varied group of villains to work against (Killer Frost, Parasite, Plastique and even Black Bison), and so I don't see the new one succeeding all that well with somewhat generic and carbon copied villains.  
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Daveyo520

Evil versions of the heroes are always so dumb. Like Nega Flash, hey I am the Flash but yellow and evil!

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Daveyo520: Agreed that character is kind of pointless
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Daveyo520

@RazzaTazz: Hmm I think I may have gotten his name wrong. Anyway, it is the reason there was a Nega Duck on Darkwing Duck, to lampoon the idea.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By ReVamp

@Daveyo520 said:

Evil versions of the heroes are always so dumb. Like Nega Flash, hey I am the Flash but yellow and evil!

Zoom?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Daveyo520

@ReVamp: That is it. I thought it was Nega Flash because of Darkwing Duck... Ah I meant to say Reverse Flash (who is Zoom).

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Daveyo520

Relavent 

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Daveyo520: With Reverse Flash though, at least Barry had a fleshed our Rogues gallery, it wasnt only super fast people that he battled
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Daveyo520

@RazzaTazz: That is true. A super smart talking gorilla is kinda unique.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ReVamp

@Daveyo520 said:

@ReVamp: That is it. I thought it was Nega Flash because of Darkwing Duck... Ah I meant to say Reverse Flash (who is Zoom).

RF =/= Zoom IIRC.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Daveyo520

@ReVamp: Well there is a Zoom and a Professor Zoom, they are also both known as Reverse Flash.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ReVamp

@Daveyo520 said:

@ReVamp: Well there is a Zoom and a Professor Zoom, they are also both known as Reverse Flash.

You're right, I was thinking about Rival.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Daveyo520

@ReVamp: Let us pretend Barry was the first Flash.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ReVamp

@Daveyo520: Whatcha talkin' bout? Wally was the first flash, Barry's just backstory. :P

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Daveyo520

@ReVamp: lol, and Guy Gardner is the 1st Green Lantern. So what is Wally up to these days?

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ReVamp

@Daveyo520: No Hal is the first GL and you just deeply hurt my feelings =)

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Daveyo520

@ReVamp: :P He will come back eventually. Though I do really enjoy the current run of The Flash with Barry.

PS Guy Gardner sucks.

batfan916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By batfan916

Fire storm is the next series that needs to get let go. I love Gail but this is just trash. Hawk and dove, Firestrom, Static, justice league Int, Red hood( getting better), and Teen titans ( I like it now) are the worst series in the new52 IMO. They should have just carried over from brightest day and have ronnie and jason cont to be that version of firestorm. This whole reboot of their story is just trash.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By jointron33

@RazzaTazz:HAVE YOU READ ANYTHING WITH THAT CHARACTER?!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.