Follow

Fear Itself

Story arc »

In a time of fear and uncertainty, the Avengers make plans to rebuild Asgard, while Sin enacts a mysterious plan to fulfill her destiny and resurrect a forgotten god of fear.

Nobody's scared of Fear Itself

Battlepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

Edited By Battlepig

So I’m sitting here, minding my own business, procrastinating on my column about horror comics and then this sudden thought crosses my mind: Fear Itself sucks.

I have no idea where it comes from, no idea what brought it on, but now I can’t fathom why I hadn’t realized it up until now. Fear Itself is really, really boring. Why? Numerous reasons, and I’m making those up as I go along because the thought didn’t care to elaborate. It just rang rather true.

We all know what’s going to happen

Fig #1: Yeah, this is going to happen... again.
    Fig #1: Yeah, this is going to happen... again.
    Fear itself does not contain any kind of exciting prospect. We know that Steve Rogers will be back as Cap, so that surprise has gone out the window, if it was ever intended to be a surprise. That leaves readers without one of the biggest – if not the biggest – points that could raise excitement. Don’t you wish you’d have a comic book where you’d be surprised? Where you’d go “Steve Rogers is back!? Holy crap, that is totally awesome”? But you’re left with about half a year’s worth of comic books that just drivel on and – if anything – you catch yourself feeling “Come on, we know what’s going to happen, just get it over with!” Sure, you don’t know how it will happen, but, honestly, do you care that much? Do you care for half a year of decompressed storytelling with a hundred tie-ins that you have no intention of reading? 

Same goes for The Worthy. Here’s how it will play out. The heroes and The Worthy will battle each other in New York City. We’ve had Times Square, we’ve had Central Park, so it will be something else. How about Ground Zero? I mean, how boring does an event have to be until you start worrying about where the big fight will be? Mind you, I’m not asking whether or not there will be a big fight. I know it’s going to happen. The Worthy and the Avengersdefendersmen or whatever the team du jour will be called will make their stands, shout battlecries and then bash their heads in for about twenty pages. Whoop-dee-doo. And then the inevitable happens…   

T he Worthy lose, the good guys win. Big surprise. Who saw that coming? Sure, some character will die here and there and will eventually come back, which saves us the trouble of being emotionally affected in any kind of way, and in the end, we’ll be left with Steve back as Cap which in turn is a giant retcon and in a couple years, nobody will even remember Bucky being Cap.

Furthermore, we know that none of the Worthy will die. Hulk dead? Come on, he’s a staple character. You can’t kill him off, mainly because his own book is going strong and so on. Killing off villains is always dicey because you never know when you might need them and having to come up with a convoluted and thoroughly idiotic way of “They died but got better” is so bothersome. Besides, nobody really cares about it anymore.

We don’t know what’s happening

Fig #2: Guess who wins... boring, innit?
    Fig #2: Guess who wins... boring, innit?
    We’re about three issues in – without proper motivation to check when #3 is going to be out / was out, I will just assume that #3 will be out soon-ish, as it feels like it should come out around now – and we still have no clue what’s going on. Sure, hammers have fallen, people have picked them up, started mumbling gibberish in runes and then did… nothing of any sort of interest. Hulk did some smashing. Surprise, surprise! And the others just did the same. What about that fear we were promised? Has that happened yet? Nobody’s particularly afraid in this book as Bucky’s first reaction was not to pee his pants but rather to shout “Avengers Assemble!” and run head-first into a fight he’ll surely win. What about that psychological horror of having to face all the scary things that have ever scared you at once we were promised? And if we weren’t promised that, then it was heavily hinted at.   

What’s the deal with Asgard and why do we care? Asgard’s left. Why? Because of the hammers, presumably. If we’re indeed at #3 and we still have Odin be a twat about it and Thor being a whiny teenager, then this is about the halfway marker of the entire story and we still have absolutely no idea what their sudden urge to move is all about. It would be about time to let us know, though. Because we have no idea who sent the hammers and why. We have no idea why the Asgardians are being asses about it and we have no idea how they plan on getting Steve back into the suit. So we have three issues and about fifty-nine tie-ins left and nothing has happened so far. Awesome.  

We know that nobody’s scared

Also, nobody in this book – and I mean, absolutely nobody – is scared. In fact, I’m surprised that Marvel even made an attempt at bringing fear into the mix. Most of these characters have faced off against alien demon zombies from another dimensions, creatures with six mouths that devour entire dimension and crap lightning, Galactus, each other and everyone else. Is there really anything left that strikes fear into these characters? Even mild concern would be hard to do at this point. And “Mild Concern Itself” is a crappy title anyway. A couple of hammers would mildly inconvenience these characters at best. So now they’re trying to shoehorn fear into these characters. With home improvement utensils.  

The main question here is this: Why do we still bother? The story falls flat on all accounts. It is bland, it is confusing, it is predictable, it is boring. Yet people still buy it. Why? Because apparently, we’re having an event of our own: “Stupidity Itself”.
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @Battlepig said:
    It is bland, it is confusing, it is predictable, it is boring. Yet people still buy it. Why? Because apparently, we’re having an event of our own: “Stupidity Itself”.
    Same could be said with a lot of main events these days. With the exception of Final Crisis (and even its everything-back-to-normal ending was a wee bit disappointing), I haven't read any really unpredictable main event since maybe Onslaught....
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

I love this article <3

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Battlepig said:
      The main question here is this: Why do we still bother? The story falls flat on all accounts. It is bland, it is confusing, it is predictable, it is boring. Yet people still buy it. Why? Because apparently, we’re having an event of our own: “Stupidity Itself”.
    Well said. That's modern comics (mostly Marvel) for you, I'm afraid.
    Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Deranged Midget

*cough* Marvel has lackluster stories... I mean WHAAAAT!?

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CATPANEXE

I like some of the oddball books that have come with the event, but they would have regardless (Youth In Revolt for example).
    I'm not sure whether I feel impacted or not by FI yet, meaning I'm not sure it registers as stupid, great, mediocre or anything
    at all right now. It seems like Thor live action film promotion to me anyways.

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By armylife1124

This article is more entertaining then most of the series so far, so sad, and yet I have bought each tie in so far...  :(

Ego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ego

all comics are predictable when someone dies, they come back. that's how they make money.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Billy Batson

This isn't really off-topic... 

But I agree with you. 

BB

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
    texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By texasdeathmatch

Once again, another mainstream arc that flops.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mercy_

@texasdeathmatch said:

It's over-saturation. Between how many "major" events the big two churn out and the ridiculous amount of tie-ins (there were something like 28 for the month of August) it pushes readers away. Add into that all the points that were made in this article (the lack of suspense and generic story plot) and it makes people shy away from buying them.

texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By texasdeathmatch
    @The Dark Huntress: I agree, that's why I stopped after lnfinite Crisis and Civil War. 

On the side note, you ought to check out Locke and Key. Just started it a few weeks ago, reeeeeeeeeally interesting series.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Fear Itself just... sucks. Actually, every event Marvel puts out since Annihilation sucks.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mercy_

@texasdeathmatch said:

@The Dark Huntress: I agree, that's why I stopped after lnfinite Crisis and Civil War.

On the side note, you ought to check out Locke and Key. Just started it a few weeks ago, reeeeeeeeeally interesting series.

Infinite Crisis is what turned me into mostly a DC reader. One of the best things I've ever read and 52 was just..epic.

Ooooooooooh. Looks intriguing.

texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By texasdeathmatch
    @The Dark Huntress: Yeah Infinite wasn't bad...but then there was the Final Crisis, which to me was a complete shit show. 52 didn't sound bad, I don't give a crap about the 50 different characters that are featured.

Yeah, its completely different than any other title I've read, but its got this cool, horror TV series feel to it.
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Fear Itself just... sucks. Actually, every event Marvel puts out since Annihilation sucks.  

this, i seriously haven't read a good Marvel story in YEARS. and i also completely agree with this article, Fear itself is boring and predictable, what i THOUGHT it was going to be, was some type of fear demon (similar to Dc's Scarecrow only...stronger) invading all of the hero's psyche's and bringing their true fears into physical manifestations and the heroes would have to confront and overcome what they fear the most (then they would be able to become Green Lanterns :O jk jk) but yea...it didn't turn out that way 

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By isaac_clarke

*Sits in a corner reading his Fear Itself Spiderman tie-in*

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By isaac_clarke
    @The Stegman said:

this, i seriously haven't read a good Marvel story in YEARS. and i also completely agree with this article, Fear itself is boring and predictable, what i THOUGHT it was going to be, was some type of fear demon (similar to Dc's Scarecrow only...stronger) invading all of the hero's psyche's and bringing their true fears into physical manifestations and the heroes would have to confront and overcome what they fear the most (then they would be able to become Green Lanterns :O jk jk) but yea...it didn't turn out that way 
    I don't know, most of the books seem to have a lot of people ravaged by fear, Spiderman, Namor and Tony being the big three that I've read that are scared out of their minds in this event.  
    The recent Invincible Iron Man has Tony surprise me at the end though.
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @isaac_clarke: really? huh, maybe it's not so bad then, at least the tie ins, i'm only reading the main story and the "Avengers" tie in
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Osiris1428

Yeah, Fear Itself does suck. I thought I was the only one.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By PowerHerc

@texasdeathmatch said:

Yup.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By isaac_clarke
    @The Stegman said:
    @isaac_clarke: really? huh, maybe it's not so bad then, at least the tie ins, i'm only reading the main story and the "Avengers" tie in
    Invincible Iron Man 504 -505 would be the ones that actually really get into fear itself and has Tony terrified / a complete mess after his trip to beautiful paris. 
    Fear Itself: The Deep would be Namor find himself broken and beaten by the Worthy, literally unable to shout his battle cry, requiring some help from his best buds(Starts with a D). 
    Fear Itself: Spiderman - basically has Pete caught up with the same irrational fear as everyone else, while also getting some detail on said people suffering from their various fears. 
    I don't know if this fear being generated in the folks is all due in part to the Serpent's power, as a lot of heroes seem just fine under the conditions, even Red Hulk went a few rounds with the Thing amped up on Worthy juice before the Avengers Tower goes down.  

Although I guess Bucky was a little afraid after Sin / Skadi stabbed him with her hammer.  
    The only Fear Itself tie in I detested so far was  the Deadpool tie in. Outside that I've liked Youth in Revolt(Even if Thor girl desperately needs a new costume), Homefront, while reading up the other books.  
    Although Journey into Mystery is a lot more enjoyable than the whole World Eater arc thing. 
    *Goes back to reading his comic book in his corner with teary eyes*
    nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By nefarious

I knew it would suck.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By isaac_clarke
    @Nefarious said:
    I knew it would suck.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By InnerVenom123

The book's too damn long. Needs to be more fast paced. I like the premise, but it needs more "OOMPH". Also the choices on The Worthy could have been better (Who gives a sh*t about Titania?).

yeopop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By yeopop

Where's the fear in Fear Itself?

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By isaac_clarke
    @yeopop said:
    Where's the fear in Fear Itself?
    There has been plenty so far, just not for a lot of the heroes, minus Iron Man, Spiderman, Bucky in his last moments, Namor, etc who are scared out of their minds.  
    Although I think if people want to avoid predictable / lack of wow excitement in their comics, you shouldn't be reading DC or Marvel caped hero themed books. It's the same stories told a million different ways.
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By IrishX

I love when a bunch of DC lovers give their opinions on Marvel events......  

Same old crew doing what they do best.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

"Mild Concern Itself" falls flat. Well put.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#29  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @IrishX said:

I love when a bunch of DC lovers give their opinions on Marvel events......  

Same old crew doing what they do best.

I'm exempt though, because I complain about Flashpoint just as much :P 
    Probably moreso, I prefer FI to Flashpoint.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I bought the first 2 issues and then dropped it. There seems to be way more going on in the tie-in books. I won't be buying all of those.
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By IrishX

Fade I don't count you because you dislike everything.... just kidding.

I can understand a legitimate complaint but there are some users who seem to make it their job to trash Marvel. When they have openly declared their love for DC (and dislike of Marvel) and made statements such as "I'm dropping all Marvel to fully get into the DC revamp" I can't take their opinion too seriously on the topic.

Battlepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#32  Edited By Battlepig
    Whoa, now that's a load of replies. Thanks, guys. Now, let's see...

@IrishX said:
    I can understand a legitimate complaint but there are some users who seem to make it their job to trash Marvel. When they have openly declared their love for DC (and dislike of Marvel) and made statements such as "I'm dropping all Marvel to fully get into the DC revamp" I can't take their opinion too seriously on the topic.
    Sir, you have inspired me to write an article on that. Stay tuned. No idea when it will hit, though.

But still, I read comics because of stories, not because of publisher or even country of origin. I'm all for the DC reboot, because we get better stories out of it. Well, maybe not better, but certainly different, and seeing the partially sad state the DCU is in, it's needed. See my column about Fans being stupid about the DC Relaunch for details.

@InnerVenom123 said:
    The book's too damn long. Needs to be more fast paced. I like the premise, but it needs more "OOMPH". Also the choices on The Worthy could have been better (Who gives a sh*t about Titania?).

That alone would help the book a lot. If it was at least a fun superhero romp that lasts all of three issues maybe. Heroes meet, bigass, hammerwielding creatures arise, they fight, good guys win, everyone goes home and has a cold beer. That would be a nice event for a change. And even the tagline "Nothing will change" would make me want to read it. 

And the reason we don't give a damn about Titania or any other Worthy character is because there's no reason to actually give a damn. We know who they are, we know they won't die, we know that they'll eventually return to normal because some of them have either spots on teams or their own book. So why would we worry? Why would we think "Man, this could be it for Hulk. The one where he dies! I must read it!" And even reading that statement makes you grin, not because of the death-thing, but because you know that you'd never think it. You  haven't had a thought like that ever since you understood the first tiny bit about comics. You've come to terms with the fact that there's nothing that would kill off something like the Hulk. Just because he's the Hulk, not because he's unkillable. Just like "I'm Batman" has become an explanation for everything Batman has ever done and will ever do. Basically, there is very little excitement in comics these days.

@The Dark Huntress said:

I love this article <3

@ntb1124 said:
    This article is more entertaining then most of the series so far, so sad, and yet I have bought each tie in so far...  :(

Thank you!
    Avatar image for omertalvendetta
    Omertalvendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#33  Edited By Omertalvendetta

I have found it to be enjoyable.  I haven't read all the tie-ins, but I find it fun.  What I cannot figure out is how Titania & Absorbing Man are in Dubai in Avengers Academy #15 and in China in Iron Man 2.0 #6... apparently, the hammers give The Worthy powers of being in more than one place at the same time...

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nova`Prime`

What are you talking about nobody is scared of Fear Itself, Roosevelt was scared of Fear Itself.. and stairs.

Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    I'm exempt though, because I complain about Flashpoint just as much :P  Probably moreso, I prefer FI to Flashpoint.

I hate Johns more than Fraction, but he is doing a better, more honest, job with Flashpoint, Fraction is just jacking off all over the place while thinking 'I'm the new Shakespeare".

What I hate the most about this event was the promotional ads which looked awesome, it was really promising and it had some great pictures, yet it turned out to be absolutely NOTHING.
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36  Edited By DMC

There are only a few point I don't agree with but other than that, you've hit it right on the nose. 

Where is the fear all those teasers images, interviews, trailer, and the actual title, seemed to strongly enforce?????

You know why people will keep buying this event (myself included)? Many of us have gotten into this bad habit of wanting to see an event or storyline through. First we make excuses and compromise, "Oh it's only the 1st/2nd/3rd issue of 8, it will get better, I just have to be patient." I know that's what I'm thinking, or in this case, what I'm hoping DESPERATELY.  

Sometimes patience is rewarded, like in Fraction's "Utopia" crossover, a key reason why I thought this event would do well...plus no Bendis. But something tells me when all is said and done Fear Itself will only be slightly better than SIEGE...which really isn't saying much.

Avatar image for coldmaster61342
    coldmaster61342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By coldmaster61342

This comic does suck. If you really wanted to read a book about heroes overcoming fear, then read The Sinestro corps war which is more exciting and engaging than "Fear Itself".

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- The only thing scary about Fear Itself was how terrible it was

- It failed on so many different levels you have to assume that the ball was dropped at every level (writers,editors, EIC) for something so pointless to come out to such hype.

- Marvel seems to have a quantity over quality attitude about events, just pump them out and make sure nothing of consequence happens so it does not interfere with the next one. Sadly most of us end up buying the issues or TPB because we are hoping this one is different.

- Marvel Studios may be printing money to critical acclaim, but Marvel Comics is bleeding readers, getting bent over and abused by DC, and looks lost and directionless.

- How can one of the first big events of the "Heroic Age" be a mass battle between the two franchise teams (X-Men Vs Avengers)? They are throwing sh!t against the wall and hoping it sticks, no matter what marketing BS we get I have no faith in people in charge anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.