inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

The last issue left readers wondering "what was it that Johnny did to Ben that was so terrible?" Well, here, readers get their answer, and it's not as bad as one would think, but it is something that would affect Ben's life and trust in Reed.

Once again, during scenes that took place in the past, Dean Haspiel and Nolan Woodard took over on art duties giving the scenes a nice Silver Age feel. It brings an element of fun into and overall extremely depressing issue. On top of that, we have Leonard Kirk with Karl Kesel and Rick Magyar on inks and Jesus Aburtov on colors doing a phenomenal job through the rest of the issue. Yeah, there's a lot of cooks on this dish, but they're all doing a fie job.

The majority of this issue, without spoiling it all, deals with Ben losing the friendships around him. Now that he knows what happened, he feels betrayed by Reed and Johnny. He's spent years being the butt of the joke from Johnny, and it all comes to a head here. No, he doesn't clobber Johnny, but he does come to a point where he can't take it anymore. Again, this is a sad issue, but James Robinson writes it so well.

This book ends in a fantastic way. No pun intended, but I'm totally keeping it in. Robinson has been setting up what's coming down the pipelines for a few issues now and the ending is supposed to be shocking, but as a fan of earlier FANTASTIC FOUR stories, I like how this ended. Sorry, no spoilers, but this is going to make for some great future issues. Ben has a lot on his plate now and I can't wait to see what Robinson has coming up for him and the rest of the team in the next issue.

The Bad

The issue gets so focused on Ben and Johnny and moving forward with the next story that the reader gets nothing with what's going on in the three other stories happening in FF. We know Sue is hurt and that's about it. However, at the same time, adding anything to this issue would take away from the main story.

This cover has nothing to do with the issue. None of the characters on this cover are even in the issue. Sue is mentioned, but that's about it.

The Verdict

I haven't been a big fan of more contemporary Fantastic Four volumes and creative teams. They just weren't my cup of tea. However, I am loving what James Robinson is doing with this team and series, even though this issue was incredibly depressing. I love the flashback scenes with Haspiel and Woodard on the art, and this series has really captured my attention in a way other volumes and creative teams have failed to do. Overall, I highly recommend this issue.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Cap10nate

I am really enjoying this series. I am disappointed that Sue wasn't featured as that is what I was most excited for since last issue.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Rubear

Hm. Shouldn't this cover be cover of previous issue? And cover of previous issue be cover of that issue?

@cap10nate said:

I am really enjoying this series. I am disappointed that Sue wasn't featured as that is what I was most excited for since last issue.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

This issue was pretty good and I must say Robinson is doing a great job so far. The so called Sin was something I expected and I would definitely say that Ben can go on with it and not be that mad to Reed and Johnny but I am not complaining.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I can't wait to see Sue's fight. She is such a badass.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

It was in previous issue and not aexactle fight.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:

@teerack said:

It was in previous issue and not aexactle fight.

No last issue they showed Sue flip out and then it cut to Jim and FF kids and didn't show the fight.

jedijesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

No last issue they showed Sue flip out and then it cut to Jim and FF kids and didn't show the fight.

I almost feel like the covers for #6 and #7 got switched...
    I'm guessing there won't really be a fight...Everyone knows how upset she is, I don't think they'll attack her, and she seemed to just be having an (appropriately placed) outburst, and doesn't actually want to harm any of the Avengers...

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Teerack
    @jedijesse said:

@teerack said:

I almost feel like the covers for #6 and #7 got switched...

I'm guessing there won't really be a fight...Everyone knows how upset she is, I don't think they'll attack her, and she seemed to just be having an (appropriately placed) outburst, and doesn't actually want to harm any of the Avengers...

Idk when Sue has flipped out before she's been pretty hard core about it. Though... I'm not sure how much of what I'm thinking of was Skurll Sue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.