inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

With the past couple of issues showing readers how insane and delusional The Quiet Man AKA John Eden is, I find this character to be super appealing because he's just such an "out there" and "over the top" villain who hides in the shadows. It's almost like he's a walking contradiction at times, and much like the rest of James Robinson's run on this book, this is a character that feels like he could have existed back in the 70s.

We get quite a bit more from Bentley and Wizard in this issue as the two do not see eye-to-eye. The two pages with the father and son coming to terms with where they are at is utterly fantastic. What we have is two characters, related by blood, on opposite sides, yet they come to this conclusion to go their separate ways. We've seen this before, but I can't think of a time where a son bested a father in this manner. It's a compelling and emotional moment that is brief but ultimately ends up being the highlight of the issue.

Sleepwalker is here! Well, he's kinda here. This issue reads more like a Sleepwalker 101 than anything else as Robinson catches readers up on who and what this character is, since a giant chunk of readers probably aren't familiar with this character. He's explained pretty well and said information doesn't take up a lot of time in the book. In addition, the character is also being explained to other characters in the book as well, so it's more of an "along for the ride" feeling rather than an information dump.

As always, the artwork on this book is just wonderful. Leonard Kirk, along with inker Karl Kesel, and colorist Jesus Aburtov provide some stellar storytelling. This creative team's art is exciting and mixes classic and contemporary styles with how the pages are laid out the the perspectives in each panel.

The Bad

At times, this book gets bogged down with too much going on and it can be a bit jumpy. This issue is exactly that case. Keep in mind that everything that's happening within the book is a good read, but it feels a bit more chaotic than it needs to and the pacing and flow of the overall issue is a bit jumpy.

The Verdict

While it stinks to see this book go, for now, at least it's building up to an exciting and fantastic conclusion that will really keep readers on the edge of their seats. Robinson, Kirk, and company have done wonders with this volume and it's becoming a must read run of FANTASTIC FOUR. I highly recommend checking it all out, especially for the moments between Bentley and his father here. This is one awesome, highly connected series that deserves your dollars.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Cap10nate

Another enjoyable issue. I wouldn't say that this was my favorite of the series, but it has been good. I'm still not sold on the Quiet Man. He continues to be a pretty generic villain to me. Great scene between Bentley and his father. However, that wasn't nearly as good as Namor's reaction later in the issue when Reed returns and kisses Sue. Definitely a lot going on and it does seem fragmented at times. The Sleepwalker exposition did drag on a little bit. Looking forward to seeing how Robinson closes out his run.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I really hope this book being canceled is a big fake out and it comes back after Secret Wars.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I had several Sleepwalker books growing up. Don't remember anything about the character other than him looking scary and cool.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I really hope this book being canceled is a big fake out and it comes back after Secret Wars.

I think it depends on how well the FF movie will go. If the movie goes well, Marvel would certaintly try to cash-in on it.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

i disagree about the pacing a lot is happening outside the baxter building and the book is trying to wrap up looses ends (reed and the quiet man) while trying to give a good ending for the book so it doesnt end too abruptly , i would rather a little sped up narrative then a long fully detailed story that ends in the last book very quickly and anticlimactic

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By SoA

@squalleon: not necessarily . they want to put a hold on movie franchises that are not owned by marvel . an example would be no new x-men characters being created and no real games either . that is why we are getting more involvement from the inhumans . i do not know what they will replace the book with since inhumans are a spin-off of the fantastic four and marvel is trying to use them as substitute mutants to fill the x-men niche .

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

#7  Edited By Teerack

I love how this series even included Sleepwalker. This is a perfect example of what Fantastic Four should always be. A crazy weird and fun adventure taking things for all aspects of the Marvel U. I'm gonna miss this book so much.

BigMan1227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@soa: no new X-Men? BS. And anyway, the X-Men have more titles than the Avengers. Marvel put their golden boy Bendis on writing two X titles: I think they still care about them. @captainmarvel4ever they definitely will, because Axel Alonso mentioned a "New Fantastic Four" coming in Secret Wars: if they didn't care about them they DEFINITELY wouldn't bother making a new team (and it's still most likely an alternate version of the old team). ALSO, The Fantastic Four are the main characters of Secret Wars anyway, it's all about Hickman's amazing FF run (and this one by Robinson as well). I can guarantee they will come back in All New Marvel, and better than ever.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

after secret wars human torch will be a black man ....and I don't mind at all

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Agreed. I hope it's the first book of the relaunch too since it'll mirror the FF starting the original MU and will now start the nuMU.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

me too, its been great from the start. I've had so many arguments on here about it, people just didnt give it a chance. its funny, i recognize some of the names on this very post, names that were spitting on this book just a few months ago............ Just saying. People need to relax with judging books before they have a chance.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.