inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Like a magical genie putting some of my favorite Fantastic Four moments and characters into one book, writer James Robinson continues to pull from some of the great underrated stories to create one fantastic issue. A combination of all this would make it seem like the book is doing too much, but frankly, it all works extremely well and at no point does the main story suffer in the slightest way. This volume of FANTASTIC FOUR feels like a love letter to the team and its history while telling brand new and interesting stories.

There's quite a few of key emotional issues here for the characters that will hit home with the reader. Spoilers ahead folks. Ben and Sandman (which is actually one of my favorite quick-fix, modern team-ups) are escaping from prison and as you may remember in previous issues, Sharon Ventura aka She-Thing, who loved Thing and eventually became a lot like him, had a run in with Ben in prison, Sharon stands in their way. The five panel page is incredibly emotional and artist Leonard Kirk does wonders with her face, showing the reader an immense amount of sadness. Although I had a few problems with this character in a previous issue, this very short scene makes me forget all about that.

Another fantastic scene takes place in the last few pages of the issue where Sue has a talk with Ben and Johnny before they head off to find Reed. The dialogue between the characters is fantastic as Sue explains where they've been going and where the team is headed. This call to arms moment breathes a lot of hope and excitement into where this series is headed. FANTASTIC FOUR tells great stories while getting the reader excited for the next issue.

Leonard Kirk, Karl Kesel (inks), and Jesus Aburtov (colors) are wonderful on this book. The opening two-page spread showing the destruction of many of the things the FF hold dear is beautiful. It's a gorgeous looking piece and one you can stare at for hours taking it all in. The art is consistent and awesome. This team has really elevated this to a must read book for FF fans.

One quick, last thing. I'm really digging the font for the number four on the new costumes and just the new costumes in general. I loved the red, but seeing the team back in blue makes me smile.

The Bad

The book is ending. This is the first time I've felt a real connection with a Fantastic Four volume in a long time. The sadness is overwhelming.

The Verdict

Although it's an incredible bummer this book is coming to an end, this volume has been a joy to read. FANTASTIC FOUR is a love letter to the vast history of the team at Marvel comics, all while telling brilliantly crafted tales. It's creative team truly knows what it's doing and this issue especially hits on an emotional level multiple times. Everything is coming back together and all the team needs is Reed back on their side and that's where we're going next. This book is a must read for Fantastic Four fans.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Sigh...... such a shame a good book like this has to end not because of sales, but because of a battle over rights. At least when they go out, they'll look good.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This series has been really good, but I'm way behind on #10

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I actually liked the Red look for the team more.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Such a great issue. It was incredibly heartfelt. The whole extended family pitching in for Ben was great and almost as emotional as the final scene with Sue, Johnny, and Ben. I am really looking forward to see what Sue does when she sees what is happening to Franklin. I also want to see Jim unleash whenever he finds the missing children as well. I was definitely shocked to see Bentley-23 like that. Robinson and Kirk have taken my favorite team and done amazing work with them. Really sad to see it go.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Boynerdgeek

Great book. Now can't wait issue for issue 645-650...then I will be sad because Marvel's first family who is foundation of Marvel comics will not have comics series

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I really liked the red suits and not in a The Incredibles way. I'm a fan of James Robinson's writing. I read a couple issues back in the '70's - when they tried to recruit Luke Cage to replace Ben, but the Puppet Master interfered. I jumped on for Heroes Reborn; and then for Waid and 'Ringo's run. I'd never heard of She-Thing before... I'm really enjoying this run. I'm sorry that it has to come to an end.

CoryNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ben loving this series! Sad To see it end.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get why to emotional when thinking about this book ending, I just want to scream at the one selfish prick that own so much stock in Disney that he wants to pack up these characters and give the finger to there fans, all because he wants the movie rights back. It's childish and sets a dangerous precedent for comics as a whole.

CoryNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CoryNick

This book and Robinson's Invaders have been to of my favorite books at Marvel (The others being Black Widow and Punisher). And now marvel is canceling both of Robinson's books? I wonder what he will do at Marvel next?

Crimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue, great to see them back in the blue. The prison break was fun, and seeing the characters that came to help were great. When Sue see's what they are doing with the kids..... they are going to have a major problem. And I can't wait until Johnny gets his powers back.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll pick it up in a year or two in the discount box, if marvel is throwing the title and the characters away I'm not paying full price for the story.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eamon542000: Fox owns the rights to the FF, and Marvel wants them back very badly. They set up a meeting with Fox to see if they could make a deal to get them, but Fox wouldn't even have the meeting, and then set production for an FF movie to be made. In order to spite Fox and lower interest in the FF Marvel is canceling this book.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eamon542000: Yup, and in the end it's the FF and fans like us who lose.

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
    DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazing read, pretty much everything from the F4 over 50 years pulled into one book.

robinson clearly did his reserach (unlike some writers cough*bendis*cough)

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Robinson might have done a good job but I doubt anyone at marvel cares. They are going to kill this title so the last few issues could have been done in crayon and they probably would have ok'd it. Give the guy credit for doing his best, but it's like he was white washing the deck of the Titanic.

Fantastic4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This comic has it all out right Fantastic! They wont be gone long,after this BS with fox is done.Fantastic4 Fan for life baby!!!!

Scarbearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

Man the whole sequence of events that has lead to this book getting cancelled, depresses me greatly. I'm holding onto some slim hope though, This FF movie by Fox buy all accounts sounds like it is going to be a hot mess, and it's going to be coming out into a field that is /saturated/ with Super Hero Movies, without the benefit of being connected to a larger 'Cinematic Universe' that I think will keep people coming back to find out what happens next, despite getting a little fatigued by this style of movie.

So when Fox's FF movie takes a bath at the box office, maybe Fox will be begging Marvel to buy the rights back.

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By catfightfan

The end of the Fantastic Four is like losing a member of the family.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Jphu8414

Seriously one of the most underrated books out there right now

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was one of the best team comics I've read in a long time. Marvel's making a huge mistake in canceling it.

@micah said:

I actually liked the Red look for the team more.

This was my only complaint.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll miss this series when it goes...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.