mrfantastic's Fantastic Four #588 - Three, Epilogue: Month of Mourning review

Avatar image for mrfantastic
    • mrfantastic wrote this review on .
    • mrfantastic has written a total of 3 reviews. The last one was for

The End of the Fantastic Four?

If you can't tell already, I am a huge fan of the Fantastic Four. I have read all 588 issues to be brought to this "final" issue.  Wow.  Let me say that again, Wow.  Where do I start?  The art. As with many many "death of..." stories, there is no room for words. In a very classy manner, the art says all the things that words cannot. The images of Ben Grimm showing his complete devastation over the loss of his best friend brought me to tears.

Ben's Grief
     Ben's Grief
    Seeing each member of the family working through their grief was completely true to these most classic of characters.  The scenes of support from the rest of the superhero community were honest, but no panels can compare to the Thor/Hulk support group for Ben Grimm.  Fans of the Thing have know for years that under that hard rocky exterior, beats the heart of a gentle giant. Watching that heart break brings home the truth, Johnny is dead.