otoboke's Fantastic Four #4 - The Coming of the Sub-Mariner! review

Avatar image for otoboke

The Coming of the... Sub-Mariner!

Drawing a thin line connecting Marvel’s Golden Age with their current age, Lee and Kirby break down more walls and expand the space between their borders once more by infusing backstory from decades prior into its weaving. So not only do we have characters that exist within our real world New York who share a less than perfect relationship with each other that develops over time, but we can look forward to seeing villains and other backing characters in more than just a single issue. Again, it’s nothing we think twice about these days, but back in 1962, this was by no means commonplace thinking or formula.

Luckily however, Lee was all about switching things up to get ahead on the game, and he does that here not just by rethinking concepts, but also by telling a pretty good story to boot. The first of its kind, actually, since the Four were born six months prior—this re-introduction to the Sub-Mariner is great stuff that mixes pathos with some interesting character conflicts (Sue and Namor for one goes against all conventions) that point towards a brighter future. Great reading.

Other reviews for Fantastic Four #4 - The Coming of the Sub-Mariner!

Best of the Early Fantastic Four stories 0

From a writing standpoint, the fourth issue (coincidence?) happens to be the most memorable of the early issues. It brings the Sub-Mariner back into the Marvel Universe, and is often reprinted. It's also a little less silly than most of the early issues (especially the last one). Although there's plenty to dislike, like Johnny Storm being able to (and choosing to) create a tornado in downtown NYC (after the team detonated a nuke there), and some of the things listed below, but for all the good r...

Fantastic Four #4 0

This is the return of the Sub-Mariner from the Golden Age of Timely Comics. He returns after being discovered by the Human Torch in the Bowery. There is also another atomic bomb explosion in this issue, showing more repetitive plotting.   Another motif in the early Fantastic Four comics is Susan Storm as the damsel in distress. She usually contributes very little to the fight scenes (well, I mean, all she can do is turn invisible, so I guess what do you expect?) and frequently ends up needing t...