Follow

Sam Wilson

Character » Sam Wilson appears in 2471 issues.

A social worker turned hero, Sam Wilson's bleak outlook on life was wiped away the day he met Captain America. Using a winged costume and his remarkable combat prowess and avian telepathy, he became the Falcon - defender of Harlem, and eventually bearer of Captain America mantle.

I think they should make a Falcon ongoing!

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was going to make a whole big essay just now convincing the many people who would doubtlessly roll their eyes why I think now is a good time for Sam Wilson to get his own series to get his own ongoing series.

Honestly, I can't do that. All I can do is say that now is probably the best of all times to release a Falcon book because of Falcon's increasing presence, and growing importance to Marvel's Cinematic Universe, the comics, and even television. They should do the same thing they did with Hawkeye; They released an awesome Hawkeye book fresh off the success of the Avengers movie, and it is popular.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Falcon is starting to be everywhere in Marvel now. He's on the main Avengers, he's going to be in the new cartoon, and in Cap's sequel movie in 2013. Now is a good time for someone to pick up the slack, and release a book. I know Marvel can do it. If they are unsure of sales, just slap an "Avengers" logo on the front. I know Marvel has amazing writers and artists. More than enough to help flesh Sam Wilson out and help him become more than "that guy" in the Avengers that can talk to birds.

Come on Guys, and Marvel NOW! Give him a chance. I think he has potential.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump!

Some replies would be nice. Good or bad, I'd like to read some opinions. Certainly, I'm not the only one looking for a comic like this at this time.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most people around here seem to hate Falcon irrationally.

Avatar image for jesusdisciple001
    jesusdisciple001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jesusdisciple001

Have Brubaker write and Dustin Weaver on art give him a "Young Justice" like suit in that it is aerodynamic and covers his body due to air pressure and altitude and it will probably sell more than batman. (jk)

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Veshark

I'd love a Falcon series - anything's possible with a good creative team, as seen with Fraction and Aja on Hawkeye.

I just hope he doesn't turn out to be the new Cyborg of the Avengers...

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Black Widow didn't get her own ongoing out of being in the films, so Falcon might not get the opportunity either.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: I actually think Falcon has more potential as a lead character than Widow, but that's my opinion. She's a great character, yes, even moreso than Falcon, but I have always seen her in like a team gig, or such an event in which she's always on hand to back Hawkeye, Fury, Stark, etc...

@veshark:

@laserlambert:

I have noticed that. Shame, too.

I as well Veshark. Just there to appease a fraction of the audience. That sucks.

ShadowX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a Falcon ongoing could be intresting... i also think a black widow one could work too

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twentyfive: You could be right. I'm not an expert in either of them, so I can't really compare them in detail. Has Falcon ever had any mini-series' before?

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

NO no no no no no!

gumflabica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No! Archangel would be better! He can throw metal out of his wings too! but he's a mutant! A MUTANT I TELL YOU!!!

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gumflabica: I like archangel. I especially liked him in Remender's X-Force. I would not mind that.

@pyrogram: Thank you for elaborating. You have been helpful to this discussion.

@v_scarlotte_rose: I think one some time ago. Maybe he should get a new mini. Or a 12 issue maxi.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By Pyrogram

@twentyfive: I think he is the worst character in comics. That is my reason.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twentyfive: I think a mini-series would be a good way to see how fans would respond to an ongoing, and I think some mini-series' have become ongoings because of positive fan response.

GoodLuckKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GoodLuckKid

Out of the characters pictured in the Avengers image, Falcon would have the hardest time making Marvel any money. They excel by level importance. Falcon is one of the least important Avengers there ever was. Black Widow and Hawkeye have trouble keeping an ongoing for a year or two so I doubt if Falcon got a book it would even last 12 issues.

GoodLuckKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowx said:

i also think a black widow one could work too

If i'm not mistaken she had about 4 and they were all short lived.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@twentyfive: O.K., turns out I was wrong. Black Widow did get given an ongoing in 2010, not long after the release of Iron Man 2, but it was ended after only 8 issues, the first selling 32,807 copies, and the last selling 14,856. I thought this was a mini-series. So maybe they will give a Falcon ongoing a try.

@goodluckkid It seems that she's only had one ongoing, but several mini-series'.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Twentyfive

@v_scarlotte_rose: Dang. I hope Captain Marvel does not meet the same fate. I think it is one of Marvel's best titles out now.What does it take to hold an ongoing comic at the big two these days?

@pyrogram: Oh, okay. I respect that.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twentyfive: Captain Marvel definitely will definitely get to #16, so it's managed twice that of Black Widow, but sales are kind of low. I think it's when a series starts selling under 20,000 copies that they considering cancelling it, and it's been like that for the last 5 issues. Hopefully the mini-event and Infinity tie-ins will push sales up, and get a few more regular readers.

GoodLuckKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GoodLuckKid

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@goodluckkid It seems that she's only had one ongoing, but several mini-series'.

I just looked it up on comicvine, you may be right. I thought her Marvel Knights series was an ongoing.

ShadowX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShadowX

I think if Falcon ( and black widow) need to not only have the exposure from film but also be backed up my marvel in general, push them. The problem with marvel( and dc) is that they focua on pushing there big names. The big names are going to sell either way, just from the name alone, they need to push the lesser knowns and give them consistent writers and artists. They make the series and give give writers but then you don't here from them really and sort of fade. They need to constantly push them.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowx:

You make too much sense.

DC advertises Batman in the books of lesser known characters who themselves need to be pushed.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_stegman  Moderator

I just can't take Falcon seriously, no matter how hard I try.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By InnerVenom123

I can't believe it.

Falcon fans exist.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By waezi2
    waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By waezi2
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:

@innervenom123: There is more of us than you think

This makes me scared.

Is it like a cult?

I bet it's like a cult.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@innervenom123: Oh yes, we kill pigeons in the honor of Redwing every sunday... oh shit, I forgot to kill a pigeon today! Falcon will feast on my milt tonight!!!

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@innervenom123: @the_stegman: Hey, those were the very same things people were saying about Aquaman even as recent as before Johns' run on him. If time can tell a person anything, it's that anything is possible.

But even if he rises to be the premier character of Marvel, I'm afraid there will always be people who won't open their minds to it.

Shame, shame. Oh well, I guess.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By waezi2

@the_stegman: Yeah, a guy who can fly and communicate with birds telepathically, its like a guy wearing the american flag, using a shield as a weapon, or a man who scares people dressed like a bat.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_stegman  Moderator

@innervenom123: @the_stegman: Hey, those were the very same things people were saying about Aquaman even as recent as before Johns' run on him. If time can tell a person anything, it's that anything is possible.

But even if he rises to be the premier character of Marvel, I'm afraid there will always be people who won't open their minds to it.

Shame, shame. Oh well, I guess.

The difference between Aquaman and Falcon is Aquaman has ALWAYS been cool with the exception of Super Friends. He's a king, controls some of the most powerful creatures under the ocean, has superstrength, is bulletproof, is a trained combatant and a founder of the JL. Falcon has always been just...Falcon. But who knows, I suppose it IS possible to change him for the better, but I don't see it happening.

@waezi2 said:

@the_stegman: Yeah, a guy who can fly and communicate with birds telepathically, its like a guy wearing the american flag, using a shield as a weapon, or a man who scares people dressed like a bat.

Are you seriously comparing Batman and Cap, two of the greatest fighters in their respective universe, one who's trained his body to be the best it can be, mastered many martial arts and has advanced tech, and the other who is a super soldier and the pinnacle of human potential...to a guy that has false wings and can talk to birds?

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman:

Yet he's been the butt of so much criticism and jokes like the ones you posted about the Falcon for decades. And what waezi2 is saying is that if you strip all the years of stories and attention that Batman and Cap have gotten, it is just as ridiculous as Falcon. All I'm saying is that Falcon deserves a chance from Marvel, and you come in here typing up ignorance, and generally nothing that helps or makes you look smart.

All characters have the same potential. Just give them a good writer, and artist, and even a guy who talks to fish can be cool.

But it's whatever with you.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@twentyfive said:

@the_stegman:

Yet he's been the butt of so much criticism and jokes like the ones you posted about the Falcon for decades. And what waezi2 is saying is that if you strip all the years of stories and attention that Batman and Cap have gotten, it is just as ridiculous as Falcon. All I'm saying is that Falcon deserves a chance from Marvel, and you come in here typing up ignorance, and generally nothing that helps or makes you look smart.

All characters have the same potential. Just give them a good writer, and artist, and even a guy who talks to fish can be cool.

But it's whatever with you.

Wait, I give my opinion on a forum, which by definition is a collection of opinions, so that makes me ignorant? All I said was, throughout everything I've seen Falcon in, he hasn't once made me think. "Man that guy is cool". Does he have the potential to be cool? Sure, every character does, look at Jason Todd, I thought he was pretty lame as Robin, but Red Hood is awesome, however I just don't see Marvel doing anything to change Falcon's appearance in the near future. I understand you're a fan of the character, but just because someone disagrees with your assement of them doesn't mean that they're wrong and unreasonable, that kind of thinking is what creates fanboys.

ColonelRunAway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

There are two categories that can kill any comic character that falls into them, and Falcon has essentially been stuck in both for years.

1. Characters with non-combat specific powers, like Ant-Man or Aquaman. Even though there are tons of popular heroes with no powers period, the general mindset is that because Sam can fly and talk to birds, that's all he's good for. Never mind the strategic applications, or his martial arts skills. Having wings doesn't help you punch bad guys, therefore fans write him off as useless.

2. Minority characters. Like it or not, a majority of the superhero comic buyers are straight white males investing in a personal fantasy, and aren't as willing to put money into characters that seem too separated from themselves.

Anytime those apply to the main character of an ongoing, the book's sales are going to be low, which means less experienced or popular creators are probably going to be placed on it, which means the quality will probably dip, which means the few fans who are actually willing to give it a chance probably won't be inclined to keep reading or take the same chance on any other book, and if any of them ever get work in the industry they won't care enough to do anything with the character once they have the chance. It's a failure that continually feeds itself.

The only way to break this is if an incredibly talented or popular creative team actually wants to do the book, like Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye, or Christopher Priest's Black Panther, and even then they'll still just be drawing in a niche of a niche.

Priest and Brubaker have proven that Sam can be written well. But it could be a while before the stars line up to actually give him the chance he deserves.

ColonelRunAway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@waezi2 said:

@innervenom123: There is more of us than you think

This makes me scared.

Is it like a cult?

I bet it's like a cult.

No Caption Provided

Are you mocking my shrine? Boi, say you ain't mocking my shrine.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Yes.

He is more than just a guy with wings. He is one of Captain Americas longtime partners who also trained Falcon in martial art, he is an avenger, a agent of S.H.I.L.D., he briefly took up the mantle of Cap America, and he can kick some serous ass. My point by taking up Batman and Cap is that 90% of all superheroes seems to be lame at first sight.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By waezi2
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

This would be cool, but there are other characters I think are more worthy of an ongoing.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I think Ultimate Falcon is cool

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.