Powell has written and provided artwork for franchises of Dark Horse Comics, DC Comics and Marvel but is most regarded for his original series The Goon, which debuted from the small publisher Avatar Press. Powell quickly switched to self-publishing under the moniker Exploding Albatross Funnybooks before being picked up by Dark Horse after only a handful of issues. The Goon's quality was recognized with an Eisner Award in 2004 for Best Single Issue (Dark Horse The Goon #1) as well as an International Horror Guild award. The following year Powell won Eisner's Best Humor Publication and Best Continuing Series awards.
He is a featured interviewee in the movie Independents. Additionally, he has illustrated roller derby bout posters for Fracture Magazine.
Powell will co-write the first two volumes of IDW Publishing 's Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters with Tracy Marsh.
- Winner 2004 Eisner Award Best Single Issue for The Goon #1
- Winner 2004 International Horror Guild Best Illustrated Narrative for The Goon #1-4
- Winner 2005 Eisner Award Best Humor Publication for The Goon
- Winner 2005 Eisner Award Best Continuing Series for The Goon
- Winner 2008 Einser Award Best Writer/Artist Humor for The Goon
- Winner 2008 Eisner Award Best Painter or Multimedia Artist-Interior for The Goon: Chinatown and the Mystery of Mr. Wicker