Follow

Emperor Palpatine

Character » Emperor Palpatine appears in 492 issues.

Palpatine is the public face of Darth Sidious, the heart of the Sith, from the time before the Empire, and until slightly after. His Sith apprentices include: Darth Maul, Darth Tyranus and Darth Vader in addition to multiple Dark Jedi apprentices such as Mara Jade. He is a true master of the Dark Side of the Force and is considered to be the most powerful Sith Lord that ever lived.

Star Wars question Palpatine related.

Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Karl

I'm a fan of the Star Wars films.and Star Wars in general but I never got into the comics or any other Star Wars media, so I know nothing more that what i have seen in the films.

So I was reading a star wars wiki about  Palpatine on how he became a sith, how he trained Darth Maul etc.... Then I came across the part in the article on how he died, because I knew how he died because I'd seen it it the film I skip that section and started to read on.

This is were my question starts, It said Palpatine was reborn and became a clone, is that even possible? Does that mean the empire came back? This kind of makes Return of the Jedi a pointless film.

Sorry about all the movie question but I was hopping they explained all this in the comic books?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Here's what happened:

Palpatine's first recorded death was on the second Death Star. He used a power called "Transfer Essence" which he used to escape his body. He traveled to Byss where he had clone bodies; he then took possession of them. But the clone bodies were incapable of sustaining his vast power, and so they started to wither and die. He set his sights on the newborn Anakin Solo. He was finally killed when a Jedi allowed Palpatine to possess him, basically killing himself so Palpatine could not return.

These events occur in Dark Empire, Dark Empire II, and Empire's end. Now the whole Empire thing is a different question altogether.

The Empire was basically scattered after the Battle of Endor, but it wasn't completely destroyed. There were still surviving commanders that vied for control. One such was Grand Admiral Thrawn, who was close to bringing the Empire back - but he was killed. Palpatine, soon after, also attempted to bring it back - I already explained what happened after that. All this time the Empire was called the Imperial Remnant for there was no true Empire - just different factions. One faction was controlled by Jerec, a Dark Jedi that wanted control of the Valley of the Jedi. Desann - another Dark Jedi - tried the same, but ultimately failed. Tavion, Desann's apprentice, attempted to bring back the fallen Sith Lord Marka Ragnos, but was stopped by Jedi Knight Jaden Korr. Eventually, after the Yuuzhan Vong War (which the Empire participated in), the Imperial Remnant was starting to unify, making their main homeworld Bastion. They were on "good terms" with the Galactic Alliance (the New Republic was destroyed during the war. The Galactic Alliance was made up of the remaining members of the New Republic). I'd mention their role in the Second Galactic Civil War, but it's rather complex and has less to do with the Imperial Remnant as it does the Galactic Alliance.  Everything I just mentioned took place over a span of 35 years.
    Many years later - around 80, actually - the Empire had unified under the new monarchy. The emperor, Roan Fel (the guy I have as my avatar, for the record) was coaxed into attacking the Alliance while it was weak, but he didn't put all of his effort into the war - not even allowing his Imperial Knights (basically Grey Jedi who have a loyalty to the Emperor and are trained to put the Empire's interests first. They're not Sith, however. They serve the light). The New Sith Order eventually allied themselves with the Empire. Fel was against their alliance, but the Moff Council overruled him. Flash forward and the Sith brutally attacked the Jedi homeworld of Ossus, the Empire took control of Coruscant, and the Alliance was basically destroyed and the Jedi in hiding. The Sith turned against the Empire, with their leader Darth Krayt taking the throne from Roan Fel. Fel and his Knights retreated to Bastion where those still loyal to him - not the throne - gathered their forces. Thus the Sith-Imperial War began.

I may have missed some details - intentionally, for the sake of simplicity, or because I may have forgotten. For more information, go to Wookieepedia.

Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Karl
    @JediXMan:  Thanks for answering.
     I have one last question, Over at  Wookieepedia it said Han Solo shot  Palptine and killed him for good while he was trying to  possess  Anakin Solo. How come 
    Palptine died this time instead of getting a new clone body?
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @Karl: 

Here's what happened:

Palpatine exited his final clone body in order to take possession of the baby Anakin Solo. As I said, the clone bodies were unable to hold his power. The Jedi Knight Brand, who was dying, basically got in his way and Palpatine possessed him. Brand used his last bits of power to keep Palpatine bonded to his soul so that - when he died - Palpatine would be taken to the afterlife with him. 

Palpatine is not the first to do this. Darth Andeddu is the first recorded Sith to do it, and is credited with creating this ability. Darth Bane used the technique through magical incantations (which he learned from Darth Andeddu). Karness Muur had a very lazy method: he put his soul in a talisman, which would crawl to powerful Force users and attempt to possess them. Darth Nihilus might be the most impressive example of Transfer Essence: he put his soul into his suit of armor. Because a suit of armor is not one piece but many pieces, it can be theorized that he actually filled the suit and cloak with his soul. He was even able to wield a Lightsaber this way.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.