Follow

Emma Frost

Character » Emma Frost appears in 6154 issues.

Emma Frost is a fictional character originating from Marvel Comics. Originally starting off as a super villain and enemy of the X-Men, during which she was the White Queen of the Hellfire Club, Emma Frost is a powerful mutant telepath who can transform herself into organic diamond. She has become a prominent member of the X-Men. A gifted teacher, Emma is renowned for her beauty, wit, and sense of fashion.

Grant Morrison on the Telepathic Affair

• 74 results
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mercy_

Source is Comic Creators on X-Men 

In your mind, did Scott and Emma commit adultery?

The way I saw it was that Jean and Scott had become remote. For me, the great emotional moment for Scott and Jean was when they ran out to die together on the moon during the Phoenix Saga. After Jean died, Scott ended up with a lot of other women. Scott was very attractive to women even though he didn't know it and I wanted to play around with that. Since he was becoming emotionally remote from Jean, because she was becoming more and more godlike, it just seemed he would naturally fall into the arms of someone more emotionally connected, which Emma actually was. Yes, it was a kind of adultery, but at the same time Jean wasn't being his wife anymore. I just felt that the spark between them had died out and it was time to give Scott someone else.   

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " Source is Comic Creators on X-Men 

The way I saw it was that Jean and Scott had become remote. For me, the great emotional moment for Scott and Jean was when they ran out to die together on the moon during the Phoenix Saga. After Jean died, Scott ended up with a lot of other women. Scott was very attractive to women even though he didn't know it and I wanted to play around with that. Since he was becoming emotionally remote from Jean, because she was becoming more and more godlike, it just seemed he would naturally fall into the arms of someone more emotionally connected, which Emma actually was. Yes, it was a kind of adultery, but at the same time Jean wasn't being his wife anymore. I just felt that the spark between them had died out and it was time to give Scott someone else.   

"
    SCOTT IS NOT A PIECE OF MEAT!!! Wait...ohhh so that's how that feels like.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @The Dark Huntress: Thank you for adding this :) 

Morrison is so brilliant.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mercy_
    @TheCrowbar: LOL.  

@FadeToBlackBolt: I fecking love him. He gets her sooo well. 
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@The Dark Huntress: I know. I'm going to name my son Grant. Or failing procreation, my dog :P

@TheCrowbar:
    lol, win, mate, absolute win.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Gambit1024

Great stuff. I need to read his run in its entirety. 

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mercy_
    @Gambit1024: It's collected in three ultimate editions. Sooooooooo worth it.  

@FadeToBlackBolt: It's a good name. ^_^
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @Gambit1024: It's collected in three ultimate editions. Sooooooooo worth it.  

I vouch for this. Best X-Men run ever.
    nikbackm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By nikbackm
    @TheCrowbar said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:

"
    SCOTT IS NOT A PIECE OF MEAT!!! Wait...ohhh so that's how that feels like. "

Why did you get that impression reading this?

It was not "give Scott to someone else", it was simply "give Scott someone else". So if anything the "someone else" he got was the piece of meat. (Not that I read it that way, but it would be closer).
    doddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By doddy

i loved morrison's run, he is a genius.
    and i found this...interesting, isn't it?  : )  

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2008/01/31/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-140/

COMIC URBAN LEGEND: Grant Morrison got the idea to use Emma Frost in his New X-Men run from an online fan.

The other week, in a previous Comic Book Urban Legends Revealed installment, I discussed how Colossus was replaced by Emma Frost during Grant Morrison’s New X-Men run – despite his initial writing of Colossus into the comic proposal, Morrison was denied use by Marvel, who had just killed off Colossus. 

But amazingly, we have a record of where Morrison got the IDEA to pick Emma to be his choice to replace Colossus!

A few years back, on Grant Morrison’s website (which you can find here), there was this one cool section called Digital Ink, where people could then send in questions to Morrison and he would reply.

While fans were waiting for Morrison’s New X-Men run to begin, reader Ken Kneisel sent Morrison the following question:

I’ve been pissing myself wondering if you’ll be using Emma (White Queen) Frost during your run.

Since GenX is being cancelled, we’ve got this horribly powerful telepathic leather fetishist Daddy’s (poor little rich) girl who straddles the fence between right and wrong just lying around, begging for a certain Scottish genius writer to snatch her up. Please make my day and tell me you’ve got big plans for her.

Morrison replied to this with:

I had no plans at all for Emma Frost but now that you mention it, man…

Soon after that, though, he had to change his plans, so he decided that he WOULD add Emma to his cast (and she worked well), and on his website a couple of weeks after Ken’s original post, Ken wrote in again, and Morrison replied :

I do have you to thank for the fact that Emma is a major part of my new X-MEN team, however. Wait till you see what I’ve done with her.

So to all those Emma fans out there, Ken is who you want to thank!
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mercy_
    @doddy: Awesome! Thanks for that!
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SC  Moderator

Its slightly sad that so many fans will need to read that to get what Morrison was trying to do. Thats why he is such a good writer, and considered that by so many, you can read what he just wrote in that paragraph in that actual story if you look hard enough. Not everything needs pages and pages of exposition. Morrison, smart writer. 

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @nikbackm said:
    " @TheCrowbar said:

"
    SCOTT IS NOT A PIECE OF MEAT!!! Wait...ohhh so that's how that feels like. "

Why did you get that impression reading this?

It was not "give Scott to someone else", it was simply "give Scott someone else". So if anything the "someone else" he got was the piece of meat. (Not that I read it that way, but it would be closer). "
    It's a joke.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#14  Edited By xerox_kitty

Why is the emphasis on Jean not being his wife anymore... she reached out to Scott.  It was Scott who wasn't being a husband anymore.

And as strained at the time, a telepathic affair is just as bad (if not worse) than the real thing when you're already married to a telepath. 

nikbackm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nikbackm
    @TheCrowbar:  Yeah, that part I got :) 

I just did not see a lead-in to the joke in the Morrison quote, so it seemed to come a little out of nowhere to me.
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#16  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

really we're back on this? i still cant belive its a question in anyone's mind that scott had an affair. im not mad at morrison for having scott do this, its a brilliant and (sadly) realistic move but that really dosnt make Scott any less of a douche. as a husband was Scott's job to stand by Jean NO MATTER WHAT and for someone who had already given up so much for her including a previous wife and child he gave up on her pretty easily. 

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mercy_

Jean's no saint either. 

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SC  Moderator

Morrisons writing invites discussion. Thats meant to be a good thing, instead of writers trying to shoehorn in what characters actions are, in terms of good and bad. Wolverine takes a shower, this makes him good, Beast drinks milk from the container, Beast is doing a bad thing. He doesn't try to justify whether a characters actions are good or bad, he justifies why and how they may have done what they did, and its up to the reader to apply things such as good or bad, understandable or not, fair or not fair and so on. 

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By jordama

*grumble* I hate morrison *grumble*
    HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By HexThis

While I do believe that Jean becoming more "godlike" as he puts it did impede on her character's ability to remained stationed amongst the X-men and I have always believed Jean's return should absolutely, 100% exclude the Phoenix Force, Scott's shortcomings also drove a dagger into the relationship. 

Jean: I can't stand you being so distant all the time. It's driving me mad...

Scott: I can't make it feel like it used to..it's not...what's the point of it all coming out wrong? Read my mind, Jean.

Jean: No. Read my lips, nothing will break the bond between us. We both know that. But we've barely touched for months and right now this marriage seems very strange and cold, Scott.

That was from "New X-men" arc E is For Extinction that Morrison wrote. 

Now, that part where Scott urges Jean to read his mind is an indicator to me that he's emotionally immature. Jean's provoking him here because he's ignoring her, he's being distant with her and she's frustrated and confused as to why that is. Rather than putting the effort into communicating with Jean, rather than giving her an explanation she's owed as his wife he tells her to read his mind because (as he said on their very first date in Central Park) he has difficulty expressing his emotions. So then, what? Jean should do the work for him? Infest his mind and suss out his intentions using her powers? The very same thing he resents Xavier for? Telepathic intrusion. He doesn't have to be open, he doesn't have to be honest, and he doesn't have to take action himself, it's always the job of the telepath he's relying on. 

Jean is punished essentially for not solving Scott's problems that way Emma does which is by way of telepathic intrusion, not the most ethical of bonds. Jean maintains a psychic bond with Scott but he wants someone to mother him, to always be entering his thoughts to fix what's broken. Well, even Emma can't do that, no one can but Scott. So really, I don't think Scott didn't love Jean, he just idealized Emma in contrast and fell in love with her as well effectively sabotaging the beneficial growth his relationship with Jean would've given him.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " Jean's no saint either.  "
    That's exactly right, but as far as most fans think Jean is the greatest woman ever and completely incapable of doing anything wrong. Never mind the fact that her constant flirting with another, particularly a serial killer, wouldn't edge away at her husband's already low self-confidence. Then she starts ascending to godhood, all of which is after Scott risked everything for those he loves by losing his identity and becoming merged with the monster that is Apocalpyse. But no, there's no way he could feel isolated and suffering from deep existential despair. Nah that can't be it, he was just a douche the whole time (rolls eyes). 

Sorry for getting snippy, this topic always gets me mad :P
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mercy_
    @FadeToBlackBolt: Thumbs up. 
    Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Lance Uppercut

Yeah, still a dick move to cheat on your wife. Most husbands would, y'know, not be little girls and talk that kind of thing out, rather then getting Emma to dress up like his wife.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @The Dark Huntress:  (Thumbs up)

And on that note, no one ever brings up the fact that Emma loved Scott for all he was; problems and all. Jean always saw him as the man she grew up with, and never wanted him to grow. As far as she was concerned, as long as Scott loved her, what's his personal identity matter? It became more and more apparent during Morrison's run that Emma loved Scott and wanted to help him with his problems; Jean just wanted him to love her and remain attached to her, so as to give her a connection to humanity. 

It's only since he's been with Emma has Scott become the greatest leader in the history of comic books, uniting an entire race of people who were more often than not, warring amongst themselves. He's made the tough calls and has never doubted himself. Had he still been with Jean, she'd have died again and Magneto would probably be leading mutantkind. 

People often underestimate just how huge Scott's accomplishment was, but it's basically if someone managed to unite the entire Middle East into a peaceful group.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Lance Uppercut said:
    " Yeah, still a dick move to cheat on your wife. Most husbands would, y'know, not be little girls and talk that kind of thing out, rather then getting Emma to dress up like his wife. "
    Jean had been eye-****ing Logan for years though, Scott mind-****ed Emma and he's Satan. But I know what you're saying.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mercy_
    @FadeToBlackBolt: Emma loves him despite his flaws (and also because of them), Jean just stuck her head in the sand and ignored them.  

Became apparent in Morrison's run but was more than driven home in Whedon's.  

Agreed so much. 
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @The Dark Huntress: Exactly. (Awesomeness high five)
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mercy_
    @FadeToBlackBolt: <333 

Jean had been eye-****ing Logan for years though, Scott mind-****ed Emma and he's Satan.

And again, exactly right. 
    Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lance Uppercut
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @Lance Uppercut said:
    " Yeah, still a dick move to cheat on your wife. Most husbands would, y'know, not be little girls and talk that kind of thing out, rather then getting Emma to dress up like his wife. "
    Jean had been eye-****ing Logan for years though, Scott mind-****ed Emma and he's Satan. But I know what you're saying. "
    I'm not saying Jean was any better, and Scott probably should have called her out on that bullsh!t years ago. But if you're going to go bone someone else, have the good decency to either talk, or get a divorce. 
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Lance Uppercut said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @Lance Uppercut said:
    Jean had been eye-****ing Logan for years though, Scott mind-****ed Emma and he's Satan. But I know what you're saying. "
    I'm not saying Jean was any better, and Scott probably should have called her out on that bullsh!t years ago. But if you're going to go bone someone else, have the good decency to either talk, or get a divorce.  "
    Ahk, I misunderstood, my apologies. I agree with that.
    Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lance Uppercut
    @FadeToBlackBolt: IMO, defending any of the three is like defending Hitler, Mao, and Stalin in a "who was less morally reprehensible" contest. You don't win, you just find out which one was less of a dick then the other two. 
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @Lance Uppercut said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt: IMO, defending any of the three is like defending Hitler, Mao, and Stalin in a "who was less morally reprehensible" contest. You don't win, you just find out which one was less of a dick then the other two.  "
    Godwin!
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Lance Uppercut said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt: IMO, defending any of the three is like defending Hitler, Mao, and Stalin in a "who was less morally reprehensible" contest. You don't win, you just find out which one was less of a dick then the other two.  "
    Heh, fair call.
    X-MEN55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By X-MEN55

Jean was holding Scott back, Emma pushes him more and he's become an even better leader because of it.

doddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By doddy

@Lance Uppercut said:

lolll
    btw, scott was a fan of cosplay
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @doddy:
    that wasnt the only thing he was fond of 

why am i not fucking suprised
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @FadeToBlackBolt:
    two completely different things. everyone lusts for other people but that dosnt mean everyone cheats.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Avenging-X-Bolt: It's a good thing Cyke didn't either then.
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @FadeToBlackBolt:
    i geuss its just a matter of personal philosophy then, thats why i hate this topic because i normally love cyclops but when people drag it gets be pissed over something that should be dead and done with
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Avenging-X-Bolt: You love Cyclops? We're cool then :P 

I get so sick of the haters >_>
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @FadeToBlackBolt:
    ahh yes, im a hal jordan fan......you ont have to tell me about haters
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    @The Dark Huntress:
    he wrote things right, good find huntress
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

This make me want to re-read my New X-Men Omnibus

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mercy_
    @god_spawn said:
    " @The Dark Huntress: he wrote things right, good find huntress "
    Thanks ^__^ 

@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    " This make me want to re-read my New X-Men Omnibus "
    Do it. I plan on re-reading the Ultimate Editions in the next few days. 
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@The Dark Huntress: I do love owning books I can kill folks with ;)
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mercy_
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir: LMAO. Multi-use!
    queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#47  Edited By queenfrost_

LOL :'D
    But I think there's an Emma/Namor telepathic affair waiting to happen!

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By Shadowdoggy

well, it's nice to hear that directly from the horses mouth 
    but Jean fans will probably always call Emma a slut, whore, homewrecker, whatever 

doddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By doddy

haters gonna hate... we can do nothing about it.
    for me, just personally, emma + scott >>>jeannie + scottie, and emma&scott is one of my favorite pairings.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#50  Edited By time1
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @Gambit1024: It's collected in three ultimate editions. Sooooooooo worth it.  

I vouch for this. Best X-Men run ever. "
    No way in hell. You thing it's best cause of an affair.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.