Follow

Emma Frost

Character » Emma Frost appears in 6154 issues.

Emma Frost is a fictional character originating from Marvel Comics. Originally starting off as a super villain and enemy of the X-Men, during which she was the White Queen of the Hellfire Club, Emma Frost is a powerful mutant telepath who can transform herself into organic diamond. She has become a prominent member of the X-Men. A gifted teacher, Emma is renowned for her beauty, wit, and sense of fashion.

emma has new powers in XFC

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By jubilee042

at first i thought i  watched a trailer with poor quality but  yesterday i watched x men first class and well emma could turn her clothes diamond aswell she was wearing a skirt and bra but now its diamond weird but i like it your thoughts x fans

emma in diamond form in x-men first class movie
    emma in diamond form in x-men first class movie
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By iLLituracy

They were just being lazy. How is that a completely new power, though?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mercy_

That's not a new power, it's just an adaptation of one she already has. They most likely did it because the diamond form FX was absolutely terrible and it would have looked even worse with her wearing clothes over it.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mercy_

@iLLituracy: Same mind.

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TypingKira

Her diamond powers look absolutely terrible :{ Which is really, really sad. 

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @The Dark Huntress said:

That's not a new power, it's just an adaptation of one she already has. They most likely did it because the diamond form FX was absolutely terrible and it would have looked even worse with her wearing clothes over it.

This. 

Emma was not well done in this film, characterisation, powers, whatever. The whole point of casting an American actress as Emma is so you can have an authentic Faux-British accent, and she didn't speak with one! 
    Then her diamond form was cracked with the bars on a bed, which wouldn't be made of anything capable of cracking diamond, and she was subdued, physically, by Erik and Charlies in DIAMOND FORM! WTF? 

And let's not even get into the fact she was basically Shaw's pet. Even when Emma was evil in the comics, she still had a personality and her own mind, here she was just broken by Shaw.
    fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @The Dark Huntress said:

This.   Emma was not well done in this film, characterisation, powers, whatever. The whole point of casting an American actress as Emma is so you can have an authentic Faux-British accent, and she didn't speak with one!  Then her diamond form was cracked with the bars on a bed, which wouldn't be made of anything capable of cracking diamond, and she was subdued, physically, by Erik and Charlies in DIAMOND FORM! WTF?   And let's not even get into the fact she was basically Shaw's pet. Even when Emma was evil in the comics, she still had a personality and her own mind, here she was just broken by Shaw.
    Common misconception.
    Diamonds have extremely high hardness, not toughness. It's not as difficult as you may think to crack a diamond.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @fesak said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @The Dark Huntress said:

This.   Emma was not well done in this film, characterisation, powers, whatever. The whole point of casting an American actress as Emma is so you can have an authentic Faux-British accent, and she didn't speak with one!  Then her diamond form was cracked with the bars on a bed, which wouldn't be made of anything capable of cracking diamond, and she was subdued, physically, by Erik and Charlies in DIAMOND FORM! WTF?   And let's not even get into the fact she was basically Shaw's pet. Even when Emma was evil in the comics, she still had a personality and her own mind, here she was just broken by Shaw.
    Common misconception. Diamonds have extremely high hardness, not toughness. It's not as difficult as you may think to crack a diamond.
    Ah, that's right. No toughness, but no maleability either. My apologies. Thank you =]
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

They should've stuck with the original actress IMO.

EmmaGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By EmmaGrace
    @FadeToBlackBolt
    It also seemed like she was being choked, when she doesn't have to breath in diamond form. And I TOTALLY agree with the Shaw comment. She just agreed and did everything he said with a boring, and definitely not British, monotone voice. 

In terms of casting, Ali Larter would have been my first choice..
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mercy_

@EmmaGrace said:

@FadeToBlackBolt: It also seemed like she was being choked, when she doesn't have to breath in diamond form. And I TOTALLY agree with the Shaw comment. She just agreed and did everything he said with a boring, and definitely not British, monotone voice. In terms of casting, Ali Larter would have been my first choice..

You have to remember thought that this took place in the sixties and things back then are not how they are now. So some of the subservient attitude could very much have to do with that. On top of that you have to take into account that Emma's manipulative, it's a skill that she's known for and that serving Shaw like that in the long run, helped her out. She was extremely formidable as a telepath and as a brawler in her diamond form (you see the way she threw Mags into the water effortlessly) and playing along with Shaw (also adding in the fact that she loved/cared for him) would keep him from looking at her as a threat to him.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Kallarkz
    @EmmaGrace said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt: It also seemed like she was being choked, when she doesn't have to breath in diamond form.  
     Seeing this did bug me a bit as well. In her diamond form she doesn't need to eat, breathe and has almost unlimited stamina. 
    Was boring to see her subdued by bed railings...but too make movies more interesting I suppose tweaking some powers is necessary. 

It was a very good movie overall though. 
    EmmaGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EmmaGrace
    @The Dark Huntress
    Yeah that's what I figured, she was just doing what she had to in order to keep he standing with Shaw. She obviously wasn't all that committed to him because once he was out of the picture she had no trouble moving on to Mags :p
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mercy_

@EmmaGrace: Exactly ;)

EmmaGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EmmaGrace
    @Kallarkz
    Yeah, it bothered me but it didn't make or break the movie. Plus she sent him flying, so I guess they're even ;) 
    And I agree, overall it was a great movie
    uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By uncanny89

to get around it they could say that they took the art from Astonishing X-Men Ghost box where the artist made her and her clothes turn to diamond

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PrinceIMC

I just kinda wished they'd shown that she's emotionless in diamond form.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

It's to prevent wardrobe malfunctions.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By fodigg
    @fesak said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @The Dark Huntress said:

Common misconception. Diamonds have extremely high hardness, not toughness. It's not as difficult as you may think to crack a diamond.
    I believe you, but then why is her diamond form so durable in the comics?
    fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    @fodigg said:
    @fesak said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @The Dark Huntress said:

Writers have the same misconception. When this power was introduced she was shattered by a gunshot.
    agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By agent9149

couldn't they make her diamond from smooth...why does it look like they bedazzled her skin -.-

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fodigg
    @fesak said:
    @fodigg said:
    @fesak said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @The Dark Huntress said:

Writers have the same misconception. When this power was introduced she was shattered by a gunshot.
    That's really a shame. I think it's far more interesting that way. 

But then, what's the point of her diamond form? To literally cut glass with her, uh, fingers?
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @fesak said:
    @fodigg said:
    @fesak said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @The Dark Huntress said:

That was a diamond bullet fired into her single imperfection (that all diamonds have) though.
    nikbackm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nikbackm
    @fodigg said:
    That's really a shame. I think it's far more interesting that way.  But then, what's the point of her diamond form? To literally cut glass with her, uh, fingers?
    Uh, to make her somewhat invulnerable?

I did not know this was up for debate, we've seen her take bullets and far greater impact damage many times without getting hurt in any noticeable way. For example getting shot at in Uncanny X-Men #496-497 as well as in Phoenix Warsong. And in Astonishing X-Men #35-36 we saw her get swatted away by a giant meat-sentinel and sent flying through the walls of a building like cannonball.

So the diamond form seems to offer at least moderate protection.

Of course it's not absolute, anyone can (and will) get hurt when the plot calls for it. Just compare Colossus getting his arms broken when grappling with Nimrods in Second Coming. Or simply having his metal melted away by Omega Red's death factor.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fodigg
    @nikbackm said:
    @fodigg said:
    That's really a shame. I think it's far more interesting that way.  But then, what's the point of her diamond form? To literally cut glass with her, uh, fingers?
    somewhat invulnerable?
    I'm laughing at this phrase. I get your point, but isn't that like being "kind of pregnant" or "a little diabetic?"
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    @fodigg:

I'm laughing at this phrase. I get your point, but isn't that like being "kind of pregnant" or "a little diabetic?

Lol what? No not really.
    fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fesak  Moderator

More like somewhat fireproof or almost-flight.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cattlebattle

Lets also remeber Darwins clothes changed with his body.....magic!!

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fodigg
    @god_spawn said:
    @fodigg:

I'm laughing at this phrase. I get your point, but isn't that like being "kind of pregnant" or "a little diabetic?

Lol what? No not really.
    Invulnerable means "impossible to damage" so being "somewhat invulnerable" is a non-binary modifier on a binary condition, which isn't strictly appropriate. In the context of comic books, it makes more sense because the word "invulnerable" is overwhelmingly used to just mean "difficult to hurt." I wasn't trying to be a pedant or call out @nikbackm: for his use of the word—as I said, effectively everyone in the world of superheroes uses it that way—it's just something I noticed that made me laugh.
    StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By StarKiller809

I didn't notice that. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention. Good point. Does that mean she can turn things into diamonds or were the special effects department tired of working too hard?

I don't know but it still was a great movie.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#31  Edited By AssertingValor
    @fesak: i've told poeple on this site about diamonds so many times! they don't want to listen..................
    Avatar image for iknoweverything
    IKnowEverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By IKnowEverything
    @ebuchanan said:
    @fesak: i've told poeple on this site about diamonds so many times! they don't want to listen..................
    they be diamond-ignorant
    jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jubilee042

by new powers i mean her real powers tweaked a little i was okay with her diamond form not crazy and i did check this blog because  i thought no one cared and commented my bad sorry about that folks

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jubilee042
    @iLLituracy: i was just trying to get your peoples attention my previous blogs have failed miserably
    emmo_frost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By emmo_frost
    @FadeToBlackBolt: well said, i hope emma in the next movie is better, i want a british accent too!!! january jones is not british O.o btw, i though the same thing about diamonds, i though diamonds cant be cracked

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.