Who was Batman's Partner the Longest?

Avatar image for domdom
Posted by DomDom (1060 posts) - - Show Bio

A question that my sister and I have been disputing over for a while now. 
 
No Caption Provided

Alright so Dick Grayson would seem like the logical choice, right?  But in Batman Return of Bruce Wayne #5, Tim Drake claims: "I was Batman's partner longer then anyone else."  Buuuut how can that technically be if Tim started out as Robin at the age of (14?) which ended in him becoming Red Robin at (17?).  That'd be around 4 years in the "R"-suit, where as, Dick became Robin at a much younger age and was...(fired/retired/graduated) at about (18? or so). 
 
Jason wasn't Robin long at all, so...it's not him. 
The girls...lasted about a few weeks...days... 
Damian's hasn't been robin that long yet, so he doesn't count. 
 
So what we'd like to know is the (Boy Robins) exact age at Becoming Robin and exact age at Giving up the mantal. 
Who was really the longest Robin???
Avatar image for LeonardoTMNT
#1 Posted by LeonardoTMNT (2097 posts) - - Show Bio

It was Kal-El.... Yea, I said it.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
#2 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (17490 posts) - - Show Bio
@DomDom said:

A question that my sister and I have been disputing over for a while now. 
 
No Caption Provided
Alright so Dick Grayson would seem like the logical choice, right?  But in Batman Return of Bruce Wayne #5, Tim Drake claims: "I was Batman's partner longer then anyone else."  Buuuut how can that technically be if Tim started out as Robin at the age of (14?) which ended in him becoming Red Robin at (17?).  That'd be around 4 years in the "R"-suit, where as, Dick became Robin at a much younger age and was...(fired/retired/graduated) at about (18? or so).  Jason wasn't Robin long at all, so...it's not him. The girls...lasted about a few weeks...days... Damian's hasn't been robin that long yet, so he doesn't count.  So what we'd like to know is the (Boy Robins) exact age at Becoming Robin and exact age at Giving up the mantal. Who was really the longest Robin???
it was probably retconned during the infinite crisis
Avatar image for enzeru--defunct
#3 Posted by Enzeru--defunct (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

The writers don't bother anymore to look back at previous story-telling. The simply continue, write well known characters out of character, use PIS whenever they can, to make the fights "more interesting", but mostly produce only crap in order to "shock" the readers.
 
I wouldn't be bothering about questions like yours.
You should ask yourself with which bad events we need to deal in the future. Well at least in the Marvel universe.
DC just had the reboot and I'm optimistic.

Avatar image for kainscion
#4 Posted by KainScion (2991 posts) - - Show Bio

dick put up with the nut way longer than timmy boy. RECOGNIZE!!!

Avatar image for the_poet
#5 Posted by The Poet (8646 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm...that is an interesting question...
 
My vote is for Dick because he was "boy wonder" and then "teen wonder", but as X-bolt said that might have been reconned due to one of the crisis-es

Moderator
Avatar image for the_stegman
#6 Posted by the_stegman (38693 posts) - - Show Bio

Technically...Alfred was his longest partner

Moderator
Avatar image for kairan1979
#7 Posted by Kairan1979 (22691 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman said:
Technically...Alfred was his longest partner
My thoughts exactly.
Avatar image for domdom
#8 Posted by DomDom (1060 posts) - - Show Bio
@KainScion
That's what i thought! =) 
 
@The Stegman: 
haha, Yes! I believe you're right, lol. 
Avatar image for saturnssailor
#9 Posted by saturnssailor (108 posts) - - Show Bio

Author mistake.  
Even if you want to claim that Tim started at 13 he still quit before he was a legal adult so he gets 5 years maximum. 
Dick started when he was 12 and was Robin for part of college so if you want to call ending age 18 that still 6 years minimum.

Avatar image for entropy_aegis
#10 Posted by entropy_aegis (19090 posts) - - Show Bio
@saturnssailor said:
Author mistake.  Even if you want to claim that Tim started at 13 he still quit before he was a legal adult so he gets 5 years maximum. Dick started when he was 12 and was Robin for part of college so if you want to call ending age 18 that still 6 years minimum.
Nope there was no mistake,Tim was surrounded by Starfire,Congorilla,etc.So yes compared to the other people in the room at that time he DID know Bruce the longest.
Avatar image for raineffect
#11 Posted by RainEffect (3376 posts) - - Show Bio
@Enzeru said:
The writers don't bother anymore to look back at previous story-telling. The simply continue, write well known characters out of character, use PIS whenever they can, to make the fights "more interesting", but mostly produce only crap in order to "shock" the readers.  I wouldn't be bothering about questions like yours. You should ask yourself with which bad events we need to deal in the future. Well at least in the Marvel universe. DC just had the reboot and I'm optimistic.
I know of only one writer who has bothered to study a character's previous run and other incorporated comics; Majorie Liu. Marvel is incredibly lucky to have her.
Avatar image for wizardshazam
#12 Posted by WizardShazam (49 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

Technically...Alfred was his longest partner
Avatar image for slick23
#13 Posted by slick23 (461 posts) - - Show Bio
@WizardShazam said:

@The Stegman said:

Technically...Alfred was his longest partner
Or those bats in his cave? only Batman know how he doesnt go insane w/ his bat friends....
Avatar image for jnr6lil
#14 Posted by Jnr6Lil (8723 posts) - - Show Bio

Alfred was his longest partner 
 
But in terms of crimefighting, mentally, physically, Dick Grayson's always been by Batman

Avatar image for billy_batson
#15 Posted by Billy Batson (59982 posts) - - Show Bio

Alfred then Dick. 

BB

Avatar image for primmaster64
#16 Posted by Primmaster64 (21668 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

Alfred then Dick. 

BB

Avatar image for jnr6lil
#17 Posted by Jnr6Lil (8723 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

Alfred then Dick. 

BB

Avatar image for kiddevil
#18 Posted by Kiddevil (7509 posts) - - Show Bio

alfred then s-man
Avatar image for comicstooge
#19 Posted by ComicStooge (22010 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Tim started being Robin when he was 12.

Avatar image for revamp
#20 Posted by ReVamp (23015 posts) - - Show Bio

Alfred is the trick answer, lol. But when I thought about it, before actually reading the blog I was thinking like this: In RL time Tim was Batman's partner for longer, or at least it seems that way because most of the time Dick was with Batman as Robin (I think even all) was pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths, thus it allows us to have the illusion that Tim was a Robin for really long. Though I think this means it was probably a retcon, so that RL time equates Comic Book time.

Avatar image for redowl_1
#21 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1743 posts) - - Show Bio

Alfred!! No, talking seriously Dick I think

  • Dick: 4 years
  • Jason: 1 or 2
  • Tim: 3
  • Steph: 3 months or less :D
  • Damian: 1 or 2 (not sure at all)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.