Follow

Dragon Ball Universe

Concept » Dragon Ball Universe appears in 185 issues.

The shared universe between some of the works of Akira Toriyama such as Dragonball, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, Dr Slump, Neko Majin, and other one shot mangas.

Weren't characters FTL way earlier than Super ?

• 106 results
    Trololololol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Dyspo is faster than light and apparently , it's a big deal . Characters keep mentioning how how awesome that speed it . But weren't DBZ characters faster than light speed way back in DBZ ? Why is light speed even impressive now ?

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes they were, Dyspo is a speedster type of character and there is no speed above light so they have no choice but to bring light speed.

MorbusGrav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No they mostly weren't, barely anyone of them had feats to make a halfway reasonable case for that.

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Royal_Warrior

FTL reactions and perceptions since Saiyan

FTL movement and combat in Buu saga

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trololololol: you do reason that his speed more was called maximum faster than light speed in the sub

Which isn't a direct translation

In Japanese a it was massively FTL basically but there's no direct translation from the Japanese word

Thedarkpaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No real proof they were FTL before DBS, unless you take dub mistranslations as valid.

On the other hand, their clear cut speed feats that don't rely on any degree of speculation or calc stacking all demonstrate slower than light movement.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
    ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ITouchedTheBoat

No real proof they were FTL before DBS, unless you take dub mistranslations as valid.

On the other hand, their clear cut speed feats that don't rely on any degree of speculation or calc stacking all demonstrate slower than light movement.

this

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. And all this does is reinforce that fact.

Avatar image for masterskywalker
    MasterSkywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MasterSkywalker

Nope. It was only a fever dream at best with no amount of accurate evidence to reinforce it.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FTL Dragonball Z characters is mostly a product of the fans of the show feeling the characters should be at that level, then saying they are at that level to each other so many times that it became an ingrained truth about the franchise that was obvious to everyone. When faced with evidence to the contrary many refused to accept that evidence and went out of their way to invent "proof" of massively faster than light combat speed by grabbing hold of an outlier speed showing and scaling the living crap out of it while ignoring all the contrary evidence.

Dyspo is the first truly confirmed FTL character, not counting the Angels when traveling with their staffs. Personally, I think it's great. I love that Dyspo is a genuine speedster character. More characters with unique attributes and skillsets can only make the franchise better.

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FTL Dragonball Z characters is mostly a product of the fans of the show feeling the characters should be at that level, then saying they are at that level to each other so many times that it became an ingrained truth about the franchise that was obvious to everyone. When faced with evidence to the contrary many refused to accept that evidence and went out of their way to invent "proof" of massively faster than light combat speed by grabbing hold of an outlier speed showing and scaling the living crap out of it while ignoring all the contrary evidence.

Dyspo is the first truly confirmed FTL character, not counting the Angels when traveling with their staffs. Personally, I think it's great. I love that Dyspo is a genuine speedster character. More characters with unique attributes and skillsets can only make the franchise better.

Agreed.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No, not by feats atleast.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Base rusty Gohan dodges point blank Jacos laser that hits something outside Earth in seconds.

Loading Video...

Shenron007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is many FTL Feats in the manga lol.

Avatar image for nemesisreloaded
    NemesisReloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There precisely zero provable or calculable FTL feats in the manga previous to Super, and the same is true of the anime too.

It's not that the characters are not or were not FTL, it's that there was never any proof at all of FTL movement until at LEAST the U6&U7 tournament, and no concrete proof at all until the Tournament of Power.

Between @zoldycklogic and I we have managed to provide minimum provable speeds of Dyspo (no secret speed technique) of 10C, ToP Golden Frieza of 56C and UI Goku of 563C ('C' being the speed of light) using actual evidence from the anime based on the known speed of a laser beam of 1C.

I stress that these are the minimum provable speeds. Any other speed above them is pure speculation.

It's worth remembering however that since we are literally only just now seeing actual evidence and statements in the anime that these characters are hitting lightspeed, as well as having other characters not be able to see those movements, it needs to be acknowledged that the reason may be because these characters actually are only just reaching these speeds.

That HAS to be a possibility.

It's entirely up to anyone who reads or watches Dragonball what they think these characters speeds are, but having spent a good amount of time calculated various feats, there is certainly no evidence of Light Speed from not GoD's/Angels until at least the U6&U7 tournament in Dragonball Super. Once again, it doesn't mean they weren't, it means the calculable feat are not.
    None of them.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wolfrazer  Online

More characters with unique attributes and skillsets can only make the franchise better.

Which was great that we got introduced to the Pride Troopers....only for the majority of them to be blown away by huge amounts of power. -_-

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer:

Eh, there's still a good chance the show will do the painfully predictable thing and have Goku wish all the universes back at the end.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Wolfrazer  Online

@metaljimmor: We'll see, still I am a little bit miffed it happened though.

Shenron007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shenron007
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ae6527167c26
    deactivated-5ae6527167c26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

King Kai being able to track FTL saiyan pods, but couldn't keep up with Goku and Frieza. That's enough evidence right there

Skrskr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They don’t have flight in the tournament, they were moving that fast on foot.

Imagine with flight.

TheDeathstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheDeathstar

Yea they were, pretty close to Relativistic speeds in Saiyan Saga up to slightly above Light Speed in later arcs. Not to mention Burter's exact translations "I am the fastest in the Universe." then Goku says "That makes you the second". The one where it says "I am the fastest being in the Universe" is from Viz and was slightly wrong hence corrected by Herms.

Shenron007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Shenron007

@metaljimmor: you can't wish back the universes that would go against Zeno's ruling.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shenron007:

That's what I keep saying too, but it's still a popular theory of how the arc ends. Personally I think it'd cheapen the entire arc, but it's not something completely out of the ballpark for Dragonball either.

Trask10100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Trask10100

This is the disconnect I just recently encountered too. I often believed, just like many, that FTL was just a given in DB, especially given the context of many of these battles. I mean, Piccolo was able to destroy the moon all the way back in the Raditz saga, which is a half light speed feat alone. Given all the scaling since then, I just assumed that yeah, of course they were FTL. To put even more emphasis on this, Super Saiyan transformations I always assumed were straight across the board boosts in all categories. That just seemed natural, given all the fight structure works in Dragonball Z.

But recently, after going through so many calculations and feats and whatnot, it struck me that there is actually no concrete proof before DBS that characters have gone FTL.
    Were characters moving faster than light? No way to prove or show this.
    Super Saiyan transformations surely boost speed beyond the speed of light, right? Well, speed certainly does increase, but by how much? And it seems that strength is far more effected then speed. It doesn't appear to be a clear cut all around multiplier. Only Kaio Ken specifically states speed is increased in its form.
    Piccolo destroys the moon at half the speed of light, so it's just a given they moved up from there right? Well, no feats support this. Not to mention ki speed is not the same as travel speed, which is certainly not the same as combat speed or striking speed.

It's not for lack of trying though. Many calculations have been done to pin down the speeds of characters at certain points and it's certainly possible they've already passed that point. The problem is proving it. Context wise? It's almost guaranteed. But we need evidence and hopefully soon enough it'll be found. I have a few ideas myself that I'm exploring.

LiTTlleJeiKKie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nemesisreloaded:

There precisely zero provable or calculable FTL feats in the manga previous to Super, and the same is true of the anime too.

maybe if you botherd to read some you would be ashemed of your own post.

NemesisReloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NemesisReloaded

@shenron007 said:

@nemesisreloaded: There is multiple ftl feats in manga u are just ignorant lol.

Lets just say, this is where you try and prove it, then don't because you can't without making massive assumptions or invention. Then I explain all the various reasons why those examples are not actually FTL, you disagree anyway and we've all wasted our time. Lets just pretend that happened and move on.

@03s7 said:

King Kai being able to track FTL saiyan pods, but couldn't keep up with Goku and Frieza. That's enough evidence right there

He was also able to track Beerus being taken by Whis -the fastest being in the Universe - crossing vast swathes of space in 26 minutes and 44 seconds to arrive at King Kai's planet.

I suggest that King Kai can track FTL movement so long as its in a straight line, but struggles to track the darting movements of slower beings, kinda like a person being able to see small objects that travel at hundreds of mph in straight line, but struggle to see a fly darting around at 4mph. It's common sense and avoids a massive inconsistency.

@nemesisreloaded:

maybe if you botherd to read some you would be ashemed of your own post.

Is this where we're supposed to have some kind of show-down about who read the manga the most times or who watched the anime the most times and who read it the best and who translated their own version from the original Japanese, and then compare who has the most screen caps and scans on their computer logged in folders according to feats and evidence for occasions such as this? Oh I do hope so, lame trash talk is such fun.

TheDeathstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheDeathstar

@nemesisreloaded: King Kai wasn't exactly able to track them and this wasn't even shown or mentioned either. He just sensed they were coming. In fact, when they arrived he did not even know they did until Beerus spoke.

Thedarkpaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If only there were something like a feat or statement confirming characters pre-DBS were as fast as the fanbase claims them to be. This post sums it up quite perfectly:

Avatar image for masterskywalker
    MasterSkywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If only there were something like a feat or statement confirming characters pre-DBS were as fast as the fanbase claims them to be. This post sums it up quite perfectly:

@metaljimmor said:

NemesisReloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nemesisreloaded: King Kai wasn't exactly able to track them and this wasn't even shown or mentioned either. He just sensed they were coming. In fact, when they arrived he did not even know they did until Beerus spoke.

He was able to sense that they were moving and in precisely which direction - a planet in 30-35m radius range in an entire universe and cosmos and King Kai knew they were coming directly to him from Beerus' movements. I think it's safe to say he was panicked and distracted by Goku, taking his eye off the ball when he hadn't realised they'd arrived.

Shenron007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lots of baselles arguments lol, the Manga has plenty feats and statements that are ftl.

TheDeathstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheDeathstar

Nowhere is it mentioned that "Dyspo is the first FTL character". I like it when people bring these arguments that we only now had hit FTL combat speeds when earlier Z has shown such things where even weaker characters were able to hit Relativistic speeds of about 48-90 percent of Light's speed with their beams alone and later characters were dodging much faster and stronger beams. In fact, Burter in the original translation which was corrected by Herms stated that "I am the fastest in the Universe" where Goku reacted with "That makes you the second" up until everyone we know existed.

NemesisReloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shenron007: Ok, list them. This topic is about pre-super FTL, it's up to you to prove it.

Shenron007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nemesisreloaded: There is plenty of other topics regarding ftl speeds feats and they are all over the Manga i don't need to list anything xd.

NemesisReloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nemesisreloaded: he didn't track Whis and this argument isn't about Super, he just knew they were coming.

jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

There is no FTL feats before DB Super. Solar flare doesn't count

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The lowball is hilarious

jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@03s7: Um, where are the FTL feats before super?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashugan: there are a few, where are the inconsistencies?

jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@03s7: If there are a few then provide them.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No proof of that

NemesisReloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@03s7: He tracked Beerus, who was being taken by Whis. If he didn't track Beerus how would he have known he was coming? And this argument is about FTL before Super. So yeah, Super is involved.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nemesisreloaded: he sensed his presence, it wasn't the same as him tracking their movements.

NemesisReloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By NemesisReloaded

@03s7: If youre looking for a scan or statement, I dont have one for you. I have simple that far exceeds "he just knows".

In order for you to determine the direction of travel and to determine no deviation in course, you need to know the location at at least 3 different times over the course of a large enough distance to remove error.

The fact that King Kai knows in a vast universe ? and cosmos that Beerus is coming to him means he knows precisely the direction of his travel, and he can only know that if he keeps tabs on his movements, ie, tracking him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nemesisreloaded: alright well unfortunately I did watch it and there is a very different context then the one your implying. Unless you can prove otherwise, you should concede.

NemesisReloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@03s7:I should concede because you feel the context is different?

Ok bud, I'll do whatever you feel I should do.

No Caption Provided

Why.... is Beerus-sama's KI... headed for this planet...?

No Caption Provided

He'll... be here... any moment!

I am curious what it is I got confused about, or what I misrepresented about this that leads you to believe that I should concede, when you were denying first that this counts, and next that King Kai - and I quote -

@03s7 said:

@nemesisreloaded: ... just knew...

Or maybe consistency should only be strictly adhered to when its not you.

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@03s7 said:

The lowball is hilarious

No one's lowballing here, my friend.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.