Follow

Dragon Ball Universe

Concept » Dragon Ball Universe appears in 185 issues.

The shared universe between some of the works of Akira Toriyama such as Dragonball, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, Dr Slump, Neko Majin, and other one shot mangas.

So..why did people hat GT?

• 51 results
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Primmaster64

Why did you?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I didn't. I love GT. Super 17 and SSj4 ftw.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Primmaster64
    @FadeToBlackBolt: Some people, well a lot of people did
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Primmaster64: I know, I could never understand why. The Goku being a kid thing was a pain, but that was only for the first season anyway. The villains were awesome.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Primmaster64
    @FadeToBlackBolt: Yeah the whole kid Goku thing inda sucked
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Primmaster64: That it did. A terrible, terrible idea. Fortunately the insanely epic season 2 made up for it.
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sexy_merc

Plot holes are by far the biggest reason. If you watch it in Japanese, plot holes are fixed, just not all. Other than that, most of the characters felt like a bunch of pussies. At least in the Saiyan saga, Yamcha and them didn't look like total chumps. Oh yeah, and Piccolo was barely there, Goku was a kid which a lot of people didn't like, and it was too focused on Goku and Pan. The audience is probably more used to Toriyama-sensei's style of the Dragon Ball franchise, and he didn't create GT, he just monitored it, made designs for a bit of stuff like SSJ4 Goku and he enjoyed GT himself.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Sexy Merc: That's a fair summary of the cons. Pan was in it too much, and Gohan getting sidelined sucked.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By InnerVenom123

Cell + Buu = Baby 

You know it's true.

biggkeem89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By biggkeem89

I hated in this order: 
    1. Turning Goku back to a kid 
    2. The drastic alteration of power levels. Super Saiyan 4 Goku was being hurt by glass. There's no way the characters should have gone from easily being able to destroy a planet, to being able to be hurt by glass. 
    3. The Dark Dragons-Just hated the idea of the Black Star Dragon Balls and those Dragons. Plus, each one of those evil dragons should only have been as powerful as Shenron, and Shenron was easily killed my King Piccolo in DragonBall. Side Note: When Kami and Piccolo merged in DBZ, the DragonBalls Kami created were rendered inert(that's why they had to get Dende). If that's the case, since Kami created the Black Star Dragon Balls then they should have been inert as well. 
    4. The Half and Quarter Saiyans not being as powerful-They stated throughout DBZ that half-Saiyans have greater potential that full blooded Saiyans. I know that Super Saiyan 4 can only be achieved by full saiyans, but shouldn't that half saiyans(with their tails restored) be able to go even further. Side note #2: Why didn't Pan ever go Super Saiyan? Or Bra for that matter? They both faced life threatening situation that could have turned them. Kinda Sexist  
    5. Piccolo being trapped in Hell-The coolest character in the DB universe get the crappiest fate. 
    6. Androids-You know after all that Cell stuff, I didn't need anymore androids. Super Hell Fighter 17(besides from having the lamest of any DB villian) was just kinda lame. 
    7. Uub getting the short stick-This kid was hyped as being the new protector of Earth by Goku, but when it got down to it, he kept getting horrible outclassed. Terrible misuse of character. 
    I could go on forever

webhe4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By webhe4d

Not enough Goten and Trunks shenanigans

RoosterCogburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RoosterCogburn

Just took it too far.
    Besides I don't really like anything to do with the Dragonball series after Cell Games.
    I really hate how they pushed all the original characters to the side and threw in a shitload of Saiyans.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By danhimself
    @biggkeem89 said:
    " I hated in this order: 1. Turning Goku back to a kid 2. The drastic alteration of power levels. Super Saiyan 4 Goku was being hurt by glass. There's no way the characters should have gone from easily being able to destroy a planet, to being able to be hurt by glass. 3. The Dark Dragons-Just hated the idea of the Black Star Dragon Balls and those Dragons. Plus, each one of those evil dragons should only have been as powerful as Shenron, and Shenron was easily killed my King Piccolo in DragonBall. Side Note: When Kami and Piccolo merged in DBZ, the DragonBalls Kami created were rendered inert(that's why they had to get Dende). If that's the case, since Kami created the Black Star Dragon Balls then they should have been inert as well. 4. The Half and Quarter Saiyans not being as powerful-They stated throughout DBZ that half-Saiyans have greater potential that full blooded Saiyans. I know that Super Saiyan 4 can only be achieved by full saiyans, but shouldn't that half saiyans(with their tails restored) be able to go even further. Side note #2: Why didn't Pan ever go Super Saiyan? Or Bra for that matter? They both faced life threatening situation that could have turned them. Kinda Sexist  5. Piccolo being trapped in Hell-The coolest character in the DB universe get the crappiest fate. 6. Androids-You know after all that Cell stuff, I didn't need anymore androids. Super Hell Fighter 17(besides from having the lamest of any DB villian) was just kinda lame. 7. Uub getting the short stick-This kid was hyped as being the new protector of Earth by Goku, but when it got down to it, he kept getting horrible outclassed. Terrible misuse of character. I could go on forever "
    a lot of that stuff wouldn't have happened if Toriyama...had his way with the show....I read an interview once where he said that it was his intent to have Gohan become the main focus of the show after the Cell saga and you could see that it was going that way for a while but the executives didn't want to change focus from Goku so he was brought back in the Buu saga....basically you can tell that Toriyama wasn't writing the series after DBZ because everything he did in DBZ was reversed or ignored
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Primmaster64

you guys are right

untammed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By untammed

i liked gt not as much as dragonball or dragonball z  but it was good

Man of Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Man of Lengend

i enjoyed SSj4 Vegeta ... bout all i remember really

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By difficlus

Eh it was ok IMO, just a little too much with kid Goku, i enjoyed the SS4 stuff though...

Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Theworldbreaker

I dont realy care for it, it was ok Omega shenron was a pretty cool guy. the SS4 transformation was also pretty cool i guess and SS4 Gogeta with his FTL punchs and i-can-hurt-you-by-starring attack.
    SHAFEMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By SHAFEMAN

Not Related To Toryama. Thats enough reason for me
    Lilja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lilja
    @danhimself said:
    a lot of that stuff wouldn't have happened if Toriyama...had his way with the show....I read an interview once where he said that it was his intent to have Gohan become the main focus of the show after the Cell saga and you could see that it was going that way for a while but the executives didn't want to change focus from Goku so he was brought back in the Buu saga....basically you can tell that Toriyama wasn't writing the series after DBZ because everything he did in DBZ was reversed or ignored
    This. I recently finished Dragon Ball Kai an the ending was great. It ended with the Cell saga, Goku dead and Gohan becoming the ultimate protector of earth. End of story.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Primmaster64

No Buu?

Avatar image for the_mayhem_theory
    The_Mayhem_Theory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the series. I was hyped when I saw Goku reach Super Saiyan 4.
    Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#23  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I didn't really like the idea about Goku being a kid throughout the series. I liked seeing young Goku in Dragonball, but I didn't want him to revert back to a kid since he had so much character development as an adult. I also didn't like the fact that Gohan was shoved to the side since he was such a great character in DBZ.

RScottH08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RScottH08

@danhimself said:

@biggkeem89 said:
    " I hated in this order: 1. Turning Goku back to a kid 2. The drastic alteration of power levels. Super Saiyan 4 Goku was being hurt by glass. There's no way the characters should have gone from easily being able to destroy a planet, to being able to be hurt by glass. 3. The Dark Dragons-Just hated the idea of the Black Star Dragon Balls and those Dragons. Plus, each one of those evil dragons should only have been as powerful as Shenron, and Shenron was easily killed my King Piccolo in DragonBall. Side Note: When Kami and Piccolo merged in DBZ, the DragonBalls Kami created were rendered inert(that's why they had to get Dende). If that's the case, since Kami created the Black Star Dragon Balls then they should have been inert as well. 4. The Half and Quarter Saiyans not being as powerful-They stated throughout DBZ that half-Saiyans have greater potential that full blooded Saiyans. I know that Super Saiyan 4 can only be achieved by full saiyans, but shouldn't that half saiyans(with their tails restored) be able to go even further. Side note #2: Why didn't Pan ever go Super Saiyan? Or Bra for that matter? They both faced life threatening situation that could have turned them. Kinda Sexist 5. Piccolo being trapped in Hell-The coolest character in the DB universe get the crappiest fate. 6. Androids-You know after all that Cell stuff, I didn't need anymore androids. Super Hell Fighter 17(besides from having the lamest of any DB villian) was just kinda lame. 7. Uub getting the short stick-This kid was hyped as being the new protector of Earth by Goku, but when it got down to it, he kept getting horrible outclassed. Terrible misuse of character. I could go on forever "

I grew up watchin and readin just about anything and everything DB related I could get my hands on, and I must say I completly agree with both these comments. I know this has been said, but the lack of the coolest characters is what killed it for me, especially Piccolo, him being my favorite all the way through DBZ, then just seein him cast off aside in GT really sucked. I will admit though when he died in GT i thought it was kinda cool, the ultimate sacrifice and all, and being little and watchin that really hit a soft spot. Overall though it just couldnt capture the magic of DB and definetly not DBZ.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Hazlenaut

It was flawed in the very beginning. Why would cross the universe when the basic dragonballs would do the same thing. Why it a planet must be destroyed when the other dragonballs do not require that high price or the effort? Why have earth when you can be a ruler for another that less formidable? We can grill dragonball gt to show how many flaws this series has. This is one the reasons there are boundary line in mangas and comics. Dragonball Z Kai wants recon that failure and I will allow it.

There was no need for Super Sayien 4 and it ruin the series. The feat of Super Sayian was considered a legend it relys on depth of anger to bring out. When trucks and Gohan become super sayian it rendered it as child’s toy but it at least they put effort into it. Super Sayian 2 required year of fully strict training. Super Sayian 3 required to be dead in order be dead to gain that power. SS4 makes lazy in comparison when you can use a device to become it. Sayians were finally out class when dealing with Majin Buu. There was finally a limit to that species. They shown tools from gods in order to gain more strength they can did alone. The former Supreme Kai gave power up to Gohan stating sayian power up nothing compared to inner power he has. Yes, the form is not popular but that is the thing. The gimmicks are done there is no need for add-ons this is the limit he can be. There shame about it people that your character is not invincible. Flaws makes you care for the character. It means they make do what they have. Do we need to add another number in order to win the day? Do we want to hear that the hero relies on specie’s superiority forever as a clutch? If the series continue do you want to hear Super Sayien 139 in order to gain victory?

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Superguy0009e

Nuff Said

Cold_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cold_World

Nuff Said

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Cold_World said:

Nuff Said

WTF? Inconsistency....

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
    deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed GT.  
    It wasn't the best, but it was entertaining.

Cold_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Cold_World

@InnerVenom123: GT was without a doubt the most inconsistent trash i have ever watched. In one episode you have Goku at super saiyan 1 punch someone to the other side of the planet. And in the next he struggles to punch someone through a building. In one episode you have the shock wave from Goku's punches destroy a city. And in the next at super saiyan 4 he struggles to hold a falling building. Baby in vegetas body, transformed into a super saiyan great ape failing miserably to destroy a planet with his most powerful attack. It was painful to watch.

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By majestic99

LOVED IT. Anyone who thinks different is missing out on an AWESOME series.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kidchipotle

GT was horrible. I do admit there were some cool things about GT, such as SSJ4 and I'll even give you Super 17. But the constant plot holes were just unbearable as well as the lack of focus on anyone OTHER THAN Goku and Pan. Goku as a kid - annoying. Piccolo being sentenced to hell for ever - annoying. Trunks, Gohan, and Goten being vagina's - annoying. Baby - annoying. The entire dark shrenron saga + the black star balls not being inert - annoying. Uub being a bitch - annoying. The list can go on. The worst part may have been when Goku left with Shrenon. That was the worst flipping thing that could have ever been conceived. It's just horrible in it's entirety.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kidchipotle

@RScottH08 said:

@danhimself said:

@biggkeem89 said:
    " I hated in this order: 1. Turning Goku back to a kid 2. The drastic alteration of power levels. Super Saiyan 4 Goku was being hurt by glass. There's no way the characters should have gone from easily being able to destroy a planet, to being able to be hurt by glass. 3. The Dark Dragons-Just hated the idea of the Black Star Dragon Balls and those Dragons. Plus, each one of those evil dragons should only have been as powerful as Shenron, and Shenron was easily killed my King Piccolo in DragonBall. Side Note: When Kami and Piccolo merged in DBZ, the DragonBalls Kami created were rendered inert(that's why they had to get Dende). If that's the case, since Kami created the Black Star Dragon Balls then they should have been inert as well. 4. The Half and Quarter Saiyans not being as powerful-They stated throughout DBZ that half-Saiyans have greater potential that full blooded Saiyans. I know that Super Saiyan 4 can only be achieved by full saiyans, but shouldn't that half saiyans(with their tails restored) be able to go even further. Side note #2: Why didn't Pan ever go Super Saiyan? Or Bra for that matter? They both faced life threatening situation that could have turned them. Kinda Sexist 5. Piccolo being trapped in Hell-The coolest character in the DB universe get the crappiest fate. 6. Androids-You know after all that Cell stuff, I didn't need anymore androids. Super Hell Fighter 17(besides from having the lamest of any DB villian) was just kinda lame. 7. Uub getting the short stick-This kid was hyped as being the new protector of Earth by Goku, but when it got down to it, he kept getting horrible outclassed. Terrible misuse of character. I could go on forever "

AT has stated the only reason he never had a female turn into a super saiyan was because he couldn't figure out how to draw the female's hair without it looking ridiculous. It wasn't sexist, he just couldn't figure it out.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

GT was horrible. I do admit there were some cool things about GT, such as SSJ4 and I'll even give you Super 17. But the constant plot holes were just unbearable as well as the lack of focus on anyone OTHER THAN Goku and Pan. Goku as a kid - annoying. Piccolo being sentenced to hell for ever - annoying. Trunks, Gohan, and Goten being vagina's - annoying. Baby - annoying. The entire dark shrenron saga + the black star balls not being inert - annoying. Uub being a bitch - annoying. The list can go on. The worst part may have been when Goku left with Shrenon. That was the worst flipping thing that could have ever been conceived. It's just horrible in it's entirety.

Pretty much this. And considering that Akira Toriyama more or less retconned this when Dragonball Online came out, it makes GT inert.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Online

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By Nerx

@Primmaster64: goku getting cut by broken glass, b!tch please and no planet busting shown

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Aiden Cross

They turned Gohan into a softy.. he was supposed to be the most powerful!

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Onemoreposter

Didn't read all the previous posts so if i reiterate I apologize. Dragon Ball was perfect how it was. Buu was the ultimate enemy. As a fan, sure I wanted more, but GT wasn't what I wanted. GT just seemed like a pointless rehash (poorly written at that) to make a few extra bucks. I didn't like it because it really didn't add anything to the mythos, but more importantly it was just plain boring.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#38  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

It wasn't good...

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Nerx: The hell?

Yes after watching it again....It is horrible.
    Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#40  Edited By Nerx

@Primmaster64: it never happened as far as I am concerned

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Nerx: It should have never existed in the first place.
    Avatar image for theamazingbatman
    theamazingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By theamazingbatman

I hate GT because of it's inconsistency . Oh come on ssj 4 goku getting cut by glass,really?? If a simple human being was 4000x his base form , the glass wouldn't scratch him let alone goku who was as strong as ssj 3 in his base form and was transformed into a ssj4! I also liked few episodes of GT. The last episode almost made me cry. I hated the scene where goku goes off with shenron and does not even say a proper good bye to his family and friends. Krillin and Goku had been life long friends for like 50 years and he did not even say goodbye . and can anyone tell me why did goku leave with shenron and will there be a new series of dragonball?? and is there any way that i can post more than 4 times in a day??

Shenron007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
    The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Statements over feats, and constant showings that would go against such statements(such as the infamous "SSJ4 cut by glass" argument).

Like, I still prefer The Baby Arc of GT over most of Super's stuff, but at least Super attempts to show power(even if it sometimes doesn't make sense). GT's new character additions were also kind of lackluster, with Uub kinda being forgotten(Goku spent so many years training him, and the one major time he's involved with the story he gets turned into chocolate -regardless of this being a "key" moment later on-), The Shadow Dragons being rather bland characters(they're literally just here to destroy things, no other motives/goals. Their personality's also aren't that interesting either). I liked Baby though, he was sort of GT's saving grace(for lack of a better word) - and his legacy kind of lives on with Super's Black Arc practically stealing Baby's entire gimmick.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Season was terrible with Akira crappy humor, and just cringe worthy scenes. Pan was also an annoying side character.

Season 2 however has more good stuff that only had some really stupid moments.

Shenron007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk:

just because glass is onto floor they say he was cut by glass? while there is no blood.on the broken glass. Also ignoring the fact he was thrown into the building by very powerful shenron version xd GG.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b728068f211c
    deactivated-5b728068f211c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never liked GT's hat.

Shenron007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5b728068f211c
    deactivated-5b728068f211c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shenron007: Yep.

But i liked GT alot, specially the Space Arc.

Avatar image for ssgssj4_debater
    SSGSSJ4_Debater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SSGSSJ4_Debater

I liked things about it and didn’t like some things about it. Not too bad a show, just not what we wanted. SSJ4s were BADASS though. And Gogeta finally being cannon (and then technically not being cannon :( lol that sucked). And Goten and Trunks FINALLY aging and getting some development was nice) Trunks was an owner of a big business or something and Goten was into chicks. And I liked the shadow dragons. Didn’t know why they were so strong but idc now lol. I’ve seen 17 get to SSG-SSB levels of power by training on an island. I’ve seen Frieza go from Namek saga level to SSB goku level in 4 months. Etc. It hasn’t flaws but it was enjoyable. Just wish we could’ve had adult Gotenks and the gang fight together like they did back in Z (without plot power ups like in super)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.