Follow

Dragon Ball Universe

Concept » Dragon Ball Universe appears in 185 issues.

The shared universe between some of the works of Akira Toriyama such as Dragonball, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, Dr Slump, Neko Majin, and other one shot mangas.

Size of the Tournament of Power Arena

Avatar image for nemesisreloaded
    NemesisReloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is one of those things people have been wondering about for a while - how big is the ToP arena. There are a ton of ideas about its size across the internet, and it turns out there's a good reason for that.

I went through the early episodes of the ToP arc because thats when the arena is still intact and I could make use of the pattern on the floor. I was able to reasonably accurately measure 4 different instances of the size of the arena.

Bare in mind that all of these boil down to knowing that Goku is 1.75m tall. I used Goku because he's the main character and compared to him, other characters heights can vary, or are obviously not the height they are supposed to be because the difference in height is exaggerated.

So below are the four results.

Viewing Angle

The viewing angle of the platform distorts the view of the U7 fighters standing on it, but because we know a circle is as long as it is wide, that can be corrected.

No Caption Provided

From the above you can calculate the viewing angle to be 55.453°

No Caption Provided

And taking that a step further, you can calculate Goku's true height and the true distance his height represents on the ground:

No Caption Provided

So the 10px represents 12.141px on the ground. I could have just gone through the simpler route of 448/369= 1.2141 to get the ratio between Goku's apparent height of 10, to the amount of floor that covers, but the above was a more comprehensive proof.

Transferring this to the edge sections of the arena, the hypotenuse accounts for approximately 30% of the arc of one segment.

No Caption Provided

And the hypotenuse has a measurement of 14.014px, putting the arc at 45.5466px.

No Caption Provided

From the above, it can be shown that one edge segment represents 1/64th of the circumference of the arena, which would then have a circumference of 2914.9846px and a diameter of 927.8684px.

As calculated above, Goku has a pixel height of 17.634px as well as a true height of 1.75m. This means that the arena has a diameter of 92.082m.

No Caption Provided

Taking a horizontal line through the centre, the top edge, the bottom edge, then through Goku's feet a proportional and equivalent distance to Goku's position below the centre line. Where Goku's line and the equivalent line cross the red circumference provide points that create single point perspective lines that can then be extended to the left and right edges, joined at the centre line. Every point along these perspective lines is now equivalent to the centre line.

So the centre line, the true width of the arena, is 900px. At Goku's line, the apparent width is 874px. This means that Goku's line is just 97.11% of its true size. This also means that Goku and the edge segment are also 97.11% of their true size too. Thats just the bottom end of the segment though, at the top end, the apparent centreline width is 866px and is 96.22% of it's true size. Taking an average, the segment itself is 96.67% of it's true size.

So the segment nearest Goku is not 45.5466px long, but 47.1172px long, making the circumference of the Arena not 2914.9846px, but 3015.49903px. Goku's height is now not 17.634px, but 18.1586px. For a character of 1.75m height, that means the circumference of the arena is more accurately 290.613m.

This means the diameter is 92.505m.

Compared to Zeno

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Given the likely discrepancies from scaling the arena from Goku, 200m diameter is probably an acceptable approximation in this case.

Compared to Frieza

When looking at the following, it's worth remembering that because the view is of an angled circle, it's apparent shape is that of being wider at a point below the horizontal diameter that at the diameter itself.

No Caption Provided

So by this standard, the ToP Arena is 375m in diameter (or more accurately 374.96m).

The Trio de Dangers

Below, the black dot in the blue circle is both Goku and Vegeta standing back to back, outside the blue circle and inside the red are the Trio de Dangers.

No Caption Provided

Given that the Trio are very close to Goku's height from this distance, and that it's impossible to separate Goku from Vegeta, I will use one of the Trio for sizing - the smallest of the three dots, since I believe that to be Lavender who is closest in height to Goku.

No Caption Provided

Using this, it's possible to make a comparison to the size of the block they are standing on. There's not enough info in the frame to get an idea of the angle of view to correct for it, but the size difference is so large it's likely negligible.

No Caption Provided

The above means that the depth of the segment is 23.43x greater than Goku is tall... approximately. Meanwhile, the radius of the arena is 9.04x larger than the depth of the segment.

No Caption Provided

Meaning that the radius of the arena is 211.794x greater than the height of Goku... approximately. Knowing that Goku is 1.75m tall, it's possible to approximate that:

The Arena is 741.28m in diameter.

-----------------------------------------

I don't think I've made any mistakes but it wouldn't be the first time.

ad-arts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's size changes each episode, let it go...

thedemonlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nemesisreloaded: The real question is how the fighters can hear what the spectators are saying.

Shenron007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedemonlord: yet picollo strugles hearing a small bug, from close by maybe because he skipped the gregory training in king kai planet lol.

Avatar image for nemesisreloaded
    NemesisReloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ad-arts said:

It's size changes each episode, let it go...

Let what go? This is the first time I've even said anything about the size of the ToP Arena. And I know the arena changes size every episode, these 4 sizes are just from 2 episodes, I just realised a few days ago there have been 7 months of conjecture about it, so I just proved it.

@nemesisreloaded: The real question is how the fighters can hear what the spectators are saying.

Thats what makes me think the middle two are closer to the truth

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.