Follow

Dragon Ball Universe

Concept » Dragon Ball Universe appears in 185 issues.

The shared universe between some of the works of Akira Toriyama such as Dragonball, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, Dr Slump, Neko Majin, and other one shot mangas.

Should Ultra Instinct be used at all?

Yabuturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I wonder if it was good to have Goku use it, or have him use it at all

In the anime he was just bombarded by the spirit bomb when he was a super saiyan blue kaio ken x 20 but in the manga he just has a sudden realization and he starts to use it when Roshi tells him to focus more than just power. But shouldn't Ultra Instinct be a state of mind anyway? In the anime he was covered with the spirit bomb so it looked like it gave him a new form. If all Roshi had to do was tell Goku to not just use power, why did it give Goku a new form?

Although rarely opponents were not all defeated with just power alone through transformations. They had to outsmart Raditz and have Goku sacrifice himself, Frieza defeated himself. Vegeta had to intervene to help Gohan stop Cell and they had to use a spirit bomb to stop Buu.

I always thought it was pretty strange. Goku had a bunch of teachers, Korin, Roshi, Popo, King Kai tell him to use more than just power but I still find it strange that Goku is still able to use Ultra Instinct, something that potentially puts him above the gods, at least when he mastered it. Beerus who was taught out to use Ultra Instinct for millions of years but doesn't master it

I always thought it would make more sense if Goku was a prodigy, but never really was. The Nameless Namekian was a prodigy, Vegeta was a prodigy, Goku was pretty weak as far as saiyans go and he kind of got lucky that he ended up with great teachers.

I understand he can't use it at will and it doesn't last that long but I felt he still shouldn't be so close to finding out what Ultra Instinct is, let alone use it. It'd be like learning basic math and all of a sudden having a grasp of how calculus works.

Pretty much no god has ever mastered ultra instinct and the closest one would be Beerus and even he still doesn't fully get it.

SSB even when mastered still can't beat Beerus when Beerus gets serious. I felt if Goku and Vegeta keep getting stronger and become on par with Beerus wouldn't it be a little too much? No matter how strong other characters get i.e. Dr. Strange, Hulk ect. those guys still can't do much to a skyfather or Galactus.

Goku has mastered it in the anime but then he really hasn't? Because he can't maintain it and I guess the only way you can be fully mastered is if you are like Whis and use it on a basis or without using a different form.

I always felt Ultra Instinct should be something to strive for, or at the very least use it in extremely small bursts, like to dodge one punch or blast but not use it for a period of time. Plus there really is no way to stop someone who masters ultra instinct unless you are absurdly powerful like Jiren, although Goku wasn't exactly at full strength so maybe he'd do better if he was healed? And they never explain Jiren's strength either exactly. Which is weird because you'd think someone who can hold his own against someone who mastered something the gods can't master would have some explanation.

Maybe it really isn't UI I have a problem with but how they obtain it which seemed pretty easy especially in the manga if someone can just realize that power isn't everything or get bombarded with an energy blast. They make UI the ultimate elusive fighting technique but the way it's achieved is absurdly easy and once he gets it, he's pretty much invincible like with Sonic and the chaos emeralds and the only danger I guess is how long he can last and because how easy it's obtained, it makes you think how gods, who are millions of years old, can't seem to grasp it.

Does anyone else notice this?

Eragale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Eragale

@yabuturtle said:

"... Plus, there really is no way to stop someone who masters ultra instinct unless ... "

Enter: Kaname Tousen Bankai - who literally shuts-down Ultra Instinct via negating the opponents senses ... except for The Sense of Touch.

@yabuturtle said:

" ... it makes you think how gods, who are millions of years old, can't seem to grasp it ... "

G.o.Ds .... they don't really seem to be real Gods since Toppo is ... " a G.o.D. in Training " . With this said, you can assume that Beerus and the rest of the G.o.D. are like fake gods - whereas the Kaioshins are more " true " gods base on how they are born.

Green_BurstXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be perfectly honest the concept of it makes no sense. It's a technique but operates as a transformation. Not only that but it should be something that's MUCH easier to attain than even regular SSJ. I mean they were doing stuff like it in regular DB.

LeonardoTMNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eragale said:
    @yabuturtle said:

"... Plus, there really is no way to stop someone who masters ultra instinct unless ... "

Enter: Kaname Tousen Bankai - who literally shuts-down Ultra Instinct via negating the opponents senses ... except for The Sense of Touch.

@yabuturtle said:

" ... it makes you think how gods, who are millions of years old, can't seem to grasp it ... "

G.o.Ds .... they don't really seem to be real Gods since Toppo is ... " a G.o.D. in Training " . With this said, you can assume that Beerus and the rest of the G.o.D. are like fake gods - whereas the Kaioshins are more " true " gods base on how they are born.

True that, another way of countering UI is for an opponent to be faster than what the user can react to.

To be perfectly honest the concept of it makes no sense. It's a technique but operates as a transformation. Not only that but it should be something that's MUCH easier to attain than even regular SSJ. I mean they were doing stuff like it in regular DB.

I kinda agree with this. It seems like pressing to reach SSJ, or even their god forms would be harder to achieve than UI. Of course all of that would vary from character to character

Trask10100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the manga, I completely agree that it was too easy to attain UI. It was simply a state of mind that was reached after focusing on something. While it was good they tied to all of Goku's past teachers and that it was a lesson that had been taught to him all his life, it was still way too simple to just "enter it" as he did. But in truth I do like the idea of it as a technique/state of mind form, though I prefer it be attained somewhat like the anime, where it took an incredibly huge amount of stress and focus to reach the level. Goku had to push himself to the absolute limit just to survive the Spirit Bomb, where no doubt the Ultra Instinct level was attained.

As for using it as a form/transformation, I think it makes sense to me. If Goku doesn't have to think and his body is working at its absolute most efficient form, isn't it possible that it has far better use of ki in this form? Like it doesn't even have to think about how to use or focus ki, it just DOES and that natural affinity for the ki makes it that much more potent. Or perhaps the strain of his body to use ki naturally is lessened in this form and releases much more to be used in combat and that's how he has more. Those are my theories on how his power/ki raises during UI anyways. But I think I like it where it is in the anime form, as a hyper powerful form that requires the absolute edge of strain and combat to attain it. I liked it even better that he wasn't able to use it again afterwards, proving just how powerful of a form this was. The realm of the gods is powerful, but reaching it even for a short while took everything Goku had. His goal now is to reach that level on his own and burst into that "level" whenever he needs to, like against Broly or something.

And while this form does have a lot of advantages, it's not perfect. The difficulty to attain it (anime at least) is super high and even that is only a physical advantage. It can't block against attacks that can restrain or suppress otherwise, such as illusions, curses, or the aforementioned sense deprivation. Also, Jiren's power seemed to be just raw mortal strength. He was a one in a million powerful fighter that was strong simply because he was (or because he worked insanely hard to reach it).

But the form in the manga is disappointing in a lot of ways, because it shouldn't be so easy to master. Especially someone like Roshi. Sure, he's got the age and wisdom, but he's never been pushed that hard, so it's hard to imagine. Although it does seem odd that in the manga Beerus is the only one really capable of it. It seems like a technique most of the gods would have. I strongly believe that to be the case in the anime, as it was heavily suggested that this power rivaled that of the gods, so it seems very likely.

Otherwise, I felt it was a good step up. Something new, not just another "power-up", it was more nuanced than that. Though again, the manga should have done better for it.

DeathHero61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of wish it wasn't a thing in the first place. DB had too much potential for Goku to already be surpassing the GoDs.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.