Follow

Dragon Ball Universe

Concept » Dragon Ball Universe appears in 185 issues.

The shared universe between some of the works of Akira Toriyama such as Dragonball, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, Dr Slump, Neko Majin, and other one shot mangas.

It's Freezer and not Frieza

Wassely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wassely

Frieza, Freeza or Furiza is the japanese pronconciation of "freezer".

Do you also say "kakarotto" instead of karakaot? Raito instead of light (deathnote)? Gatsu instead of guts? Aru maito instead of all might? Bejita the otosan of Torankusu?

So to settle this once and for all:

Vegit (vegeta+kakarot)✓ Bijito (bijita+kakaroto) ✕

Bloomer✓ Bulma ✕

Mr Satan ✓ Hercule ✕ This name originated from the french dub

Ten Shin han ✓ Tien ✕

Brief ✓ Briefs ✕

..etc

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MainJP

I grew up reading the manga as a wee lad. I always call him Freeza. I don't like the "i" in his Funimation name and even now it still throws me off.

I also tend to call Krillin "Kuririn". I like keeping with the puns of the characters names and here's the deal with Kuririn's name:

Kuririn

There are a few things going on with Kuririn’s name, though Toriyama doesn’t really explain any of it (see below). First, kuri-kuri bouzu means a clean-shaven head, which certainly fits him. Second, 栗/kuri is Japanese for “chestnut”, which besides tying back into his “smooth head” image, is carried over into the name of his daughter (and in the anime, his early girlfriend). One of the title pages also shows Kuririn riding an air bike with the 栗/kurikanji on the front. Finally, the “rin” on the end of his name may be a reference to the Shaolin monks (少林/Shourin in Japanese), a staple of martial arts films. “Shaolin” more or less translates to “little forest”, and the temple where Kuririn trained prior to become Kame-sennin’s pupil was called the Oorin Temple (多林寺/Oorin-ji), “big forest temple”, an obvious play on the name Shaolin. The Oorin uniform worn by Kuririn and his formal seniors at Oorin Temple are also clearly based on the Shaolin uniform.

Toriyama Explanation: “This is a name that I decided completely based on just the ambience from the character’s image. At that point, I didn’t think this was going to be a character that would continue to appear for a long time afterwards, so I used this half-baked naming.” [DBF]

Source Spelling:: くりくり/kuri-kuri 栗/kuri, 少林/Shourin

Name Spelling: クリリン/Kuririn

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31249

Sometimes I alternate since I'm used to hearing both.

Never called Tenshinhan "Tien". Funimation for some reason calls him Tien Shinhan and it makes everyone thinks it's his last name when It's all supposed to be one name.

Funimation also made everyone think that Brief was a family name by referring to them as "the Briefs" in the Funi Dragon Ball English dub.

cromulor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The manga always called Frieza as “Freeza” and the Japanese dub called Cooler as “Coola” if I’m not mistaken.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also it's Vegetto not Vegito

Absol123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the same thing

Divyansh13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically English dub.

gelato_exotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mainjp said:

I grew up reading the manga as a wee lad. I always call him Freeza. I don't like the "i" in his Funimation name and even now it still throws me off.

I also tend to call Krillin "Kuririn". I like keeping with the puns of the characters names and here's the deal with Kuririn's name:

Kuririn

There are a few things going on with Kuririn’s name, though Toriyama doesn’t really explain any of it (see below). First, kuri-kuri bouzu means a clean-shaven head, which certainly fits him. Second, 栗/kuri is Japanese for “chestnut”, which besides tying back into his “smooth head” image, is carried over into the name of his daughter (and in the anime, his early girlfriend). One of the title pages also shows Kuririn riding an air bike with the 栗/kurikanji on the front. Finally, the “rin” on the end of his name may be a reference to the Shaolin monks (少林/Shourin in Japanese), a staple of martial arts films. “Shaolin” more or less translates to “little forest”, and the temple where Kuririn trained prior to become Kame-sennin’s pupil was called the Oorin Temple (多林寺/Oorin-ji), “big forest temple”, an obvious play on the name Shaolin. The Oorin uniform worn by Kuririn and his formal seniors at Oorin Temple are also clearly based on the Shaolin uniform.

Toriyama Explanation: “This is a name that I decided completely based on just the ambience from the character’s image. At that point, I didn’t think this was going to be a character that would continue to appear for a long time afterwards, so I used this half-baked naming.” [DBF]

Source Spelling:: くりくり/kuri-kuri 栗/kuri, 少林/Shourin

Name Spelling: クリリン/Kuririn

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31249

Sometimes I alternate since I'm used to hearing both.

Never called Tenshinhan "Tien". Funimation for some reason calls him Tien Shinhan and it makes everyone thinks it's his last name when It's all supposed to be one name.

Funimation also made everyone think that Brief was a family name by referring to them as "the Briefs" in the Funi Dragon Ball English dub.

I never thought people cared about garbage side characters like Krillin and Tien to this extent

Pandalumina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I'm glad someone pointed this out

Also it's Begeta not Vegeta.

Get it right people!

Avatar image for deactivated-60584707e8b9b
    deactivated-60584707e8b9b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i usually write it as "freeza" rather than "freezer" which sounds odd

Kali_Verantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL

Avatar image for daddyprometheus
    DaddyPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Freeza" it's the name, Freezer is the pun.

Amnesiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We do call him Freezer in France

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.