Follow

Dragon Ball Universe

Concept » Dragon Ball Universe appears in 185 issues.

The shared universe between some of the works of Akira Toriyama such as Dragonball, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, Dr Slump, Neko Majin, and other one shot mangas.

is DBZ overrated?

• 161 results
    Raizell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

DBZ is awesome

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goosehorn:

Nope.

You lack perspective : DBZ is quite good... for a twenty year old anime/Manga.

It codified many things in Shonen and Nekketsu style. One Piece, Fairy Tail and other new stuff have very much inherited from DB and DBZ.

It's like saying the Simpsons are bad, back in the 90's, it was awesome and all the rage, but now, it's been reduced to a cash cow franchise. (Like many stuff in comics and manga industry, anyway.)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#154  Edited By Lvenger

I've rethought my stance on the quality of DBZ as a show and franchise ever since the disappointing Battle of Gods showed how stretched for ideas Toriyama is becoming. For good ones like Beerus actually being an interesting character, we get more silly humour, Goku hogging the limelight and poorly paced storylines. There's very little originality left in DBZ anymore, it was running out in the Buu Saga and it's certainly run dry now that gods are being brought into the picture. With the exception of Vegeta and Piccolo, the characters aren't as compelling as they used to be either for me and if there's one thing the Death Battle rematch did right, it was to show how self centred Goku was in the manga and Japanese anime before his personality was altered in the English dub. Goku's character arc just doesn't do it for me anymore, he seems simplistic and cliche now compared to other fictional characters I still like today.

AdamAnouer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goosehorn: I don't think it's overrated i think of it's time in the late 90's it was best show by miles creating a really in-depth look at a long overarching plot and the first real JPN style anime that showed us real destruction on a massive scale. I think it still holds quite well but by modern day standards I really don't think there is too much to say for it because more shows cartoons and comics are doing it now.

pinecone1510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say not anymore. With Battle of Gods being one of the best films and comedies i've seen this year. Showing mostly what the series did amazingly with it's lore and more importantly it's progression. Every character has evolved in ways other shows are too afraid to go.

Zero_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you didn't grow up with the show or aren't growing up with the show atm (through BoG, RoF, and DBS), then you will never understand.

Supreme Cosmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

overrated!? Where else can you see death a god attempt to destroy the earth because some pink fat buu ate his puding?

BaldManjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By BaldManjunior

The plot story DBZ is overrated.

Mostly the villains.

dbzaota482

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes and no.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

It had a huge impact in anime and even cartoon show, and was many people gateway to anime and the plot all the way to cell saga was a brilliant development on Gohan. But Buu saga is a thing. Also the dub is not perfect.

Kute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Kute

still good

ImpossibleImpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.