Discussion: The mechanics behind Striking in the Dragon Ball Universe.

#1 Posted by slimj87d (15607 posts) - - Show Bio

The purpose of this topic is to discuss on striking works in the Dragon Ball Universe.

In real life, we know that striking depends on speed, acceleration (or rather deceleration upon impact) and mass. But as it seems, in the Dragon Ball Universe, a ki amped limb will deliver additional power into the punch.

Ki seems to increase ones durability and other physicals as well as boost the striking power to a Dragon Ball Fighter.

So what about Dyspo? This guy can move at FTL and strike his opponents, yet his strikes aren't as damage as someone like suppressed Jiren, KK20X Goku, etc.

Does this mean that ki control can amp punches far greater than speed can? I think so. I'm basing this off of Dyspo's FTL strikes vs. Other Dragon Ball fighter's strikes.

MUI Goku and Jiren surpassed limits are examples of characters that have both, powerful ki and speed.

A similar character in comic book lore would be Iron Fist. He's capable of sending the chi of the dragon into his punches.

Please discuss.

#2 Posted by blackknighting (400 posts) - - Show Bio

Dypso is a speedster not a powerhouse, he is all about speed. I don't know about physics but doesn't one has to be able to resist the impact of the blow to not end up with a broken hand, Dypso can strike at ftl speeds but if his body can't take the impact.

#3 Posted by slimj87d (15607 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackknighting:

Well him suddenly accelerating from rest to FTL would put a significant amount of G force on his body alone. So he's definitely durable. This would lead me to believe that ki amping ones durability is greater than a FTL punch.

I'm not trying to turn this into a vs topic, but Goku in his stronger forms should be able to take a FTL punch from Flash if he is using his ki to amp his durability.

#4 Posted by Oreoghoul (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

Goku and friends just have better strength and striking than anything speed did for Dyspo. So I'd say yes to:

@slimj87d said:

Does this mean that ki control can amp punches far greater than speed can?

#5 Posted by JohnCena69swag (3417 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't the striking force depend more on the transfer of kinetic energy and not necessarily the velocity or acceleration. I mean yeah they certainly increase the amount of kinetic energy which is the way that it works in real life and comics, but the source of the powers these guys have is based on the manipulation of energy.

#6 Edited by EmpressOfDread (10479 posts) - - Show Bio

@johncena69swag said:

Doesn't the striking force depend more on the transfer of kinetic energy and not necessarily the velocity or acceleration. I mean yeah they certainly increase the amount of kinetic energy which is the way that it works in real life and comics, but the source of the powers these guys have is based on the manipulation of energy.

In DC comics unlike even Marvel comics. Speed implies striking. In most cases of course there are exceptions. It has some scientific relation like transfer of momentum, force per unit area, approaching relativistic speeds increases the mass of fists immensely etc. I can give examples if you want. But I believe you'd get the gist.

However I don't think that is the case in DBverse your strikes are amplified by Ki energy.

#7 Posted by JohnCena69swag (3417 posts) - - Show Bio

In DC comics unlike even Marvel comics. Speed implies striking. In most cases of course there are exceptions. It has some scientific relation like transfer of momentum, force per unit area, approaching relativistic speeds increases the mass of fists immensely etc. I can give examples if you want. But I believe you'd get the gist.

Yeah I can certainly get behind this.

However I don't think that is the case in DBverse your strikes are amplified by Ki energy.

But what makes you say this? This is a pretty widely accepted belief that explains a lot of the issues in the series. Like Dyspo in the op.

#8 Posted by aqmatlatsuji (44 posts) - - Show Bio

I think we could look at Dragonballs as a rpg. Dyspo is fast and not strong because he put most of his status points into agility(speed). Like with ultra ssj being strong but slow because it put most of it status point into power(strength). We can apply this to real life too, like with a tract star being fast but not strong or a muscle-builder being strong but not fast.

#9 Posted by EmpressOfDread (10479 posts) - - Show Bio

@johncena69swag:

But what makes you say this? This is a pretty widely accepted belief that explains a lot of the issues in the series. Like Dyspo in the op.

So few things -

Dyspo is an exception he is different from other warriors speed was his forte and he was behind on other things like Durability.

Then we still don't know if it is speed that makes his strikes impressive to whatever level they are ( I am not sure about this) but I don't think it was explicitly mentioned that Dyspos FTL punches are making more Damage than his normal KI based punches. Then again Dyspo could have just powered himself up for maximum light speed mode.

Mostly DB characters load ki into their punches and hit, more than speed the Ki matters for the intensity of the strike.

#10 Posted by slimj87d (15607 posts) - - Show Bio

My friend... What is Kinetic energy? 1/2 * mass * velocity^2

*shocking*

Avatar image for deactivated-5b466be4b5981
#11 Posted by deactivated-5b466be4b5981 (3660 posts) - - Show Bio

>Implying IRL physics applies in Dragon Ball

#12 Posted by JohnCena69swag (3417 posts) - - Show Bio

So few things -

Dyspo is an exception he is different from other warriors speed was his forte and he was behind on other things like Durability.

Then we still don't know if it is speed that makes his strikes impressive to whatever level they are ( I am not sure about this) but I don't think it was explicitly mentioned that Dyspos FTL punches are making more Damage than his normal KI based punches. Then again Dyspo could have just powered himself up for maximum light speed mode.

Mostly DB characters load ki into their punches and hit, more than speed the Ki matters for the intensity of the strike.

Ok see I must have been misinterpreting what you said because I'm agreeing with literally everything you say lol.

@slimj87d said:

*shocking*

No need to be so condescending. I passed 5th grade I know what kinetic energy is. And just because it contains velocity within the equation doesn't make them the same. You also have to factor in mass. Now we don't know if ki has mass which would directly influence the force of their strikes, but we do know that these guys spent their whole loves controlling their energy and it is likely that this includes kinetic ENERGY.

#13 Edited by slimj87d (15607 posts) - - Show Bio

@johncena69swag:

So few things -

Dyspo should be incredibly durable if he's able to accelerate himself to FTL near instantly. His body has to be able to take that sudden weight shift.

I believe that Ki amped strikes deliver more destructive power than the KE a person can deliver. Ki can also be used defensively to increase ones durability.

Dyspo can move and hit someone at FTL, but Frieza's ki amped strike (, although slower) does much more damage.

Loading Video...

@empressofdread said:

So few things -

Ok see I must have been misinterpreting what you said because I'm agreeing with literally everything you say lol.

@slimj87d said:

*shocking*

No need to be so condescending. I passed 5th grade I know what kinetic energy is. And just because it contains velocity within the equation doesn't make them the same. You also have to factor in mass. Now we don't know if ki has mass which would directly influence the force of their strikes, but we do know that these guys spent their whole loves controlling their energy and it is likely that this includes kinetic ENERGY.

I wouldn't categorize Ki as KE or anything relating to it. I would say it's a type of energy on its own.

#14 Edited by EmpressOfDread (10479 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d:

Dyspo should be incredibly durable if he's able to accelerate himself to FTL near instantly. His body has to be able to take that sudden weight shift.

Yes. But a lot of characters do that. In DB character move at that speed and going to FTL actually makes your "mass imaginary". So your weight only shifts till light speed after that your mass becomes imaginary. His body can handle this "mass change" and not weight change since his body is evolved to handle that level of acceleration. I don't know how would a human body be effected if it was accelerated from zero to light in fraction of seconds. I am guessing it should not be good for us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_number

I believe that Ki amped strikes deliver more destructive power than the KE a person can deliver. Ki can also be used defensively to increase ones durability.

True. Since we have confirmation for Ki amping strikes by DB.

Dyspo can move and hit someone at FTL, but Frieza's ki amped strike (, although slower) does much more damage.

Frieza also was able to Tank his hits with Minor trouble. That makes me believe that speed is his only chance against SSB level opponents.

#15 Posted by EmpressOfDread (10479 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d said:
@slimj87d said:

*shocking*

I wouldn't categorize Ki as KE or anything relating to it. I would say it's a type of energy on its own.

Ki does have mass or I should say it can have mass. What I mean is it can become something tangible. Characters can use their Ki to create tangible constructs. Energy can be converted into mass and mass can be converted into energy. Ki does have some mass like properties and has some energy or light wave type properties. Even light has some mass like properties.

But but.....we only have confirmation of Ki amping theri strikes and not the mass. Since there is a direct mention of the former, even though logically there can be a relation to both these things.

#16 Posted by slimj87d (15607 posts) - - Show Bio

@empressofdread: I think a ki punch is almost like taking an invisible explosion concentrated on a person's fist going only in one direction.

#17 Posted by EmpressOfDread (10479 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d: I think so too. Using energy to amplify your strikes is not uncommon in fiction, even outside of DBverse.

#18 Posted by slimj87d (15607 posts) - - Show Bio

@empressofdread:

Another instance that proves my point is Jiren. He has a barrage of punches that he throws at FTL. Punches that KK20X Goku can't even react or see, yet Goku is able to sense and react to Dyspo. These barrage of punches can't be seen or be reacted to by Hit or Golden Frieza either, and Golden Frieza did the best at reacting to Dyspo's amped FTL mode.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Although Jiren is throwing a bunch of FTL punches, it's his focused ki strikes that do far more damage than these FTL punches, and the Ki amped strikes from Jiren aren't as fast as his FTL punches.

I think that DB characters are far deadlier than people give them credit for around here. Not only do they generate the kinetic energy in a punch at near light or FTL speeds, but they can amp their strikes with their ki.

If the Flash threw a IMP at Goku, it wouldn't do much because Goku can take FTL punches already. They would have to have additional amps in the strike besides just being a punch with a lot of KE.

Lastly, speaking of other universes, in Naruto, the second Hokage uses chakra to crack a giant wall just by touching it with his fist. That's probably a similar mechanic.

#19 Posted by EmpressOfDread (10479 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d:

Jiren is stronger than Goku. Also there is nothing impressive about Dyspos strikes he just powered upto Super Maximum light speed mode yet could not finish off Frieza easily meaning Frieza can easily tank his attacks. Although Frieza would have lost no denying that since Dyspo was pushing him off the edge.

I think that DB characters are far deadlier than people give them credit for around here.

I think they are fairly rater and yes they are deadlier specially in DBS. But being put against characters who are above their pay grade like Galactus so I don't think I agree with you here. But we can agree to disagree on this if you think otherwise.

If the Flash threw a IMP at Goku, it wouldn't do much because Goku can take FTL punches already.

I don't think FTL punches are as good as Light speed punches like I told you. FTL punch where your mass becomes imaginary is actually less impressive than a punch just under the speed of light 99.9999 % speed of light for example. Thats just due to physics. Although yeah Goku will still tank IMP because of high durability. IMP are max our Moon level by feats. Even by scaling and taking into consideration the statements - it is at best planetary. Which Goku can easily tank.

They would have to have additional amps in the strike besides just being a punch with a lot of KE.

I think Ki is the only amp we can as for sure. The IMP is a technique that we do not have an explanation for in DB universe. So we are assuming that.

#20 Posted by slimj87d (15607 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d:

Jiren is stronger than Goku. Also there is nothing impressive about Dyspos strikes he just powered upto Super Maximum light speed mode yet could not finish off Frieza easily meaning Frieza can easily tank his attacks. Although Frieza would have lost no denying that since Dyspo was pushing him off the edge.

I think that DB characters are far deadlier than people give them credit for around here.

I think they are fairly rater and yes they are deadlier specially in DBS. But being put against characters who are above their pay grade like Galactus so I don't think I agree with you here. But we can agree to disagree on this if you think otherwise.

If the Flash threw a IMP at Goku, it wouldn't do much because Goku can take FTL punches already.

I don't think FTL punches are as good as Light speed punches like I told you. FTL punch where your mass becomes imaginary is actually less impressive than a punch just under the speed of light 99.9999 % speed of light for example. Thats just due to physics. Although yeah Goku will still tank IMP because of high durability. IMP are max our Moon level by feats. Even by scaling and taking into consideration the statements - it is at best planetary. Which Goku can easily tank.

They would have to have additional amps in the strike besides just being a punch with a lot of KE.

I think Ki is the only amp we can as for sure. The IMP is a technique that we do not have an explanation for in DB universe. So we are assuming that.

1. There is nothing impressive about Dyspo's strikes, Dragon Ball verse wise, because he probably uses his ki to speed up his speed and durability (just enough to take the acceleration), but he doesn't use his ki to amp his strikes. That's the problem with Dyspo, his attacks are only kinetic energy. They don't have much if any ki in them.

Ki adds more to a strike than KE does. We have seen similar things with Naruto characters, Iron Fist, etc.

2. The Flash's IMP punch is slightly under light speed. Dyspo is hitting his opponents at above light speed, hence the FTL. By logic, Goku should take a Flash IMP as well as he takes Dyspo's punch.

3. Flash explains exactly what an IMP is. It's the massive amount of momentum behind a punch going at incredible speeds.

#21 Posted by EmpressOfDread (10479 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d:

I think Dyspo still powers up to speed up. His speed is also coming from his ki. Though yes as I agree there is some effect to his strikes being stronger after the SMLSM then before SMLSM. So yeah in SMLSM his strikes are better so make of that what you will.

2. The Flash's IMP punch is slightly under light speed. Dyspo is hitting his opponents at above light speed, hence the FTL. By logic, Goku should take a Flash IMP as well as he takes Dyspo's punch.

now this logic I don't agree with. Since there is no on panel confirmation for Dyspos hits at light speed being similar to an IMP. Now IMP has different feats which can not get carried over to a different universe. For example lets say IMP broke Anti monitors armor. We can not say this type of feat will carry over to Dyspo. However Goku can still tank IMP because of having > planetary durability and IMP being moon level by feats. By statements it is star level. But I don't give statements credit over feats.

3. Flash explains exactly what an IMP is. It's the massive amount of momentum behind a punch going at incredible speeds.

Actually flash explains it is more than just momentum. Its like hitting your face with the mass of a white dwarf star which is at star level.

#22 Posted by slimj87d (15607 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d:

I think Dyspo still powers up to speed up. His speed is also coming from his ki. Though yes as I agree there is some effect to his strikes being stronger after the SMLSM then before SMLSM. So yeah in SMLSM his strikes are better so make of that what you will.

now this logic I don't agree with. Since there is no on panel confirmation for Dyspos hits at light speed being similar to an IMP. Now IMP has different feats which can not get carried over to a different universe. For example lets say IMP broke Anti monitors armor. We can not say this type of feat will carry over to Dyspo. However Goku can still tank IMP because of having > planetary durability and IMP being moon level by feats. By statements it is star level. But I don't give statements credit over feats.

Actually flash explains it is more than just momentum. Its like hitting your face with the mass of a white dwarf star which is at star level.

Not sure why it's so hard to comprehend the IMP, it's just a punch at light speed.

No Caption Provided

The faster Dyspo moves, the more mass he should also attain. So we can agree to disagree.

#23 Posted by EmpressOfDread (10479 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d:

Not sure why it's so hard to comprehend the IMP, it's just a punch at light speed.

When did I say its hard to discern, I just said what your scan says his fist hits with the mass of a white dwarf star.

The faster Dyspo moves, the more mass he should also attain. So we can agree to disagree.

Yah we can agree to disagree but how many times I told you at FTL the mass becomes imaginary ? So an FTL punch is actually less impressive then a light speed punch. Do you want me to elaborate on this because I can, I linked the wiki page I thought you were getting the idea.

#24 Edited by slimj87d (15607 posts) - - Show Bio

@empressofdread:

Again, the point is that for objects to theoretically travel at light speeds or greater, they have to become massless, in theory.

We're talking about fictional characters here that retain their mass, so assume newtonian physics applies at light speeds and above.

What you want to link is irrelevant.

#25 Posted by EmpressOfDread (10479 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d:

Again, the point is that for objects to theoretically travel at light speeds or greater, they have to become massless, in theory.

Yes that is correct.

We're talking about fictional characters here that retain their mass, so assume newtonian physics applies at light speeds and above.

Thats using physics the wrong way to highball your character. We go by feats and statements from the source material in fiction. We apply physics for something then we apply it all the way or we don't apply it at all. So anyone who punches at FTL speed we have to involve his striking feats and in this cases Dyspos striking feats were so unimpressive even all out he got out brawled by Gohan of all people. His speed is linear and he is fast as hell and that allows him to dodge everything and tag but he is not strong.

No its relevant. Since I am also using science.

#26 Posted by slimj87d (15607 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d:

Yes that is correct.

Thats using physics the wrong way to highball your character. We go by feats and statements from the source material in fiction. We apply physics for something then we apply it all the way or we don't apply it at all. So anyone who punches at FTL speed we have to involve his striking feats and in this cases Dyspos striking feats were so unimpressive even all out he got out brawled by Gohan of all people. His speed is linear and he is fast as hell and that allows him to dodge everything and tag but he is not strong.

No its relevant. Since I am also using science.

Dyspo's striking isn't impressive. If Flash entered the DB verse with his powers, his striking wouldn't be that impressive either if he only limited himself to light speed. It'd only be as impressive as Dyspo has been shown to be.

#27 Posted by EmpressOfDread (10479 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d:

Dyspo's striking isn't impressive. If Flash entered the DB verse with his powers, his striking wouldn't be that impressive either if he only limited himself to light speed. It'd only be as impressive as Dyspo has been shown to be.

True. I agree. But instead of applying physics equations wrongly (- like where it can not be applied in case of FTL speed. ) its better to use feats instead.

#28 Posted by slimj87d (15607 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d:

True. I agree. But instead of applying physics equations wrongly (- like where it can not be applied in case of FTL speed. ) its better to use feats instead.

That doesn't work though. It's counterproductive. Flash shouldn't have mass at light speed yet he does. So why do we suddenly disregard it at speeds faster than light?

#29 Edited by EmpressOfDread (10479 posts) - - Show Bio
@slimj87d said:
@empressofdread said:

@slimj87d:

That doesn't work though. It's counterproductive. Flash shouldn't have mass at light speed yet he does. So why do we suddenly disregard it at speeds faster than light?

At light speed you have mass. Your mass if infinite - its where the name infinite mass punch has originated from. Although in DC comics they made it to be the mass of a white dwarf star. If you put the speed of light in the equation you mass will become infinite just try it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_in_special_relativity

So why do we suddenly disregard it at speeds faster than light?

We don't suddenly disregard it. There is nothing sensible in using it in the first place. Like I said when you go FTL your mass becomes imaginary. So using physics to create a feat for your character does not make sens sine physics is actually against it. Its wrong. We can not use it because it contradicts the very physics you are trying to use.

#30 Posted by slimj87d (15607 posts) - - Show Bio

@empressofdread:

There is nothing sensible behind the Flash. Mass approaching anywhere close to light speed is supposed to massless. But we're not talking about relativity here. We're talking about characters that can accelerate faster than light, which is theorized to be impossible, and they retain their mass at these speeds, another impossibility.

So we'll agree to disagree.

#31 Posted by EmpressOfDread (10479 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d:

There is nothing sensible behind the Flash.

A lot of things in fiction don't make sense. Even in DB. Flash is just weird.

Mass approaching anywhere close to light speed is supposed to massless.

No. Like I said I even gave the equations. Mass first approaches infinity - when v=c, it becomes infinity. Then it becomes imaginary. Which is mass less. So FTL speeds make it mass less.

But we're not talking about relativity here. We're talking about characters that can accelerate faster than light, which is theorized to be impossible, and they retain their mass at these speeds, another impossibility.

So we'll agree to disagree.

I know Dyspo is FTL. But my point was to not use physics where its not applicable. Basically its using the wrong equation, the equation does not support well after mass becomes infinite already at v=c. After that it becomes an imaginary number.

Yeah we should probably agree to disagree. This doesn't seem to get anywhere.

#32 Posted by marioclone (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Dypso is a speedster not a powerhouse, he is all about speed. I don't know about physics but doesn't one has to be able to resist the impact of the blow to not end up with a broken hand, Dypso can strike at ftl speeds but if his body can't take the impact.

#33 Edited by nilok (702 posts) - - Show Bio

@empressofdread: To add on to what you were says, as far as I can tell, your mass is only infinite at the speed of causality. What this really means is that things cannot cross the boundary of the speed of causality, which is why hypothetical particles like the FTL tachyons are just fine, since they are always FTL.

I don't remember where I heard this, and I'm having trouble finding it, so take this with a grain of salt. Things approach infinite mass on both sides of the speed of light, with it being an insurmountable mountain separating two plains. In this regard, traveling at MFTL would suggest that you need less energy than just above the light speed, the problem is jumping over the speed of light without actually passing it.

If that is accurate, than Dyspo, who is FTL, would pack less kinetic energy than someone who is traveling at 99.999c.

#34 Edited by EmpressOfDread (10479 posts) - - Show Bio

@nilok: I don't agree with you totally. But only on a few things. I don't think its a good idea to use kinetic energy to gauge punches power, feats should be used. Feats are more accurate, however if you are applying science we apply it withing reason and not go overboard.

So FTL particles can not have mass according to physics thats where classical concepts totally fail. Things that move at faster than light speed stop having mass like properities and start displaying more energy or light like properties since light is also a form of energy. Even though mass energy equivalence is there but it just does not hold up since we clearly see guys like Dyspo are tangible even at FTL.

#35 Posted by nilok (702 posts) - - Show Bio

@empressofdread: Where can I find that information about objects theoretically have more light like properties than mass like properties when they are traveling faster than light outside a warp bubble? I was searching for more reference material, but I was having trouble finding it.

Tachyons hypothetically actually do have mass, but because their velocity never decreases to equal the speed of causality/light, they don't require infinite energy.

It may also be too late right now and I may be rambling.

#36 Posted by EmpressOfDread (10479 posts) - - Show Bio

@nilok: I'll try to find something.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.