There has been more than one Doctor in the WildStorm Universe. There have been Doctors since the very beginning of human thought. There can only be one at a time and each one is stronger than the last. When one becomes a Doctor he becomes a shaman charged with the protection of the planet. The first known Doctor was member of the Changers, meanwhile tthe two Doctors that have been members of The Authority are Jeroen Thornedike (deceased) and Habib Ben Hassan (recently deceased).
Linage of Doctors
Background images of the Garden of ancient memory has implied than the Doctors had been in the past thinkers with heavy cultural influence in mankind history, manily as agents of change: priests, philosophers, mystics, naturalist, scientists, religious figures. the doctors always are present in the human consciouness, either as faomous or unknown figures. Jesus and Albert Einstein are being counted as Doctors in this reality.
The oficial linage of known Doctors are:
- The Doctor: Of unknown name, the Doctor was the first to be publicy know as such and was an ally of the High in their failed attemp to make the world a better place.
- Jeroen Thorndike: The successor of the Doctor, he was the first shaman to be member of the Authority.
- Habib Ben Hassan: The second Doctor member of the Authority, Habib was the doctor until the events of the End of the World.
- Sir Edwin Makeplace: A doctor from the 19th century, half resurrected by Voodoo to help the surviving heroes in found a new Doctor who could help them to heal the dying earth, in the post End of the world earth.
- Shen Lin Min: Choose as successor of the Doctor title by a renovated Jeroen, Shen received the abilities of the Doctor to help resurrect earth.
Powers & Abilities
Each Doctor has the combined knowledge and abilities of all the Doctors before him and the power to alter reality as long as he can imagine what he wants to do in "poetic terms". The Renegade Doctor described how his powers worked by saying that all he had to do was "draw a detailed picture in his mind" of what he wanted and it would happen. According to the previous Doctors that Jeroen has talked to, there seems to be no limit to what he could do. He could de-create the universe from the Big Bang to the end of time or stretch one moment to infinity if he wanted. There's a reason he generally doesn't use his powers on that kind of scale though. His powers come from the Earth and very powerful acts of magic can be harmful to
the planet (for example, he brought the immortal Jenny Sparks back to life at the cost of one year of the planet's life), so while the Doctor can do anything, he rarely uses his powers to their full potential. His relationship with the Earth is more than just the planet supplying him with power. He can feel how it feels and has a deep connection with it that is spiritual, emotional, mental and possibly physical. When Jeroen first became Doctor he complained to the previous Doctors that he had a pain in his heart and one of them told him, "The world now turns where your heart used to sit. A certain amount of pain is to be expected." Anyone with the power of the Doctor receives 15 new senses which, among other, unnamed things, allows them to not only connect with the planet, but with its people as well. At least one of the senses has something to do with an altered perception of how time flows, allowing for its manipulation, the ability to travel through it in more than one direction, move outside of it, and function at speeds different than the world around the Doctor.
Garden of Ancestral Memory
Doctors can also go to a place called the Garden of Ancestral Memory where they can talk to their predecessors.
The Renegade Doctor was an evil man who had once had all the powers of The Doctor, before the antecesor of Jeroen. For crimes against humanity, he was stripped of his powers and sent to a prison at the beginning of time. (He was only able to be caught because after killing untold numbers of people one night, he decided to drink all the wine in existence.) From this prison, he was somehow able to set in motion events that threatened the present day. He told The Authority that he would only fix things if the powers of The Doctor were returned to him for one hour. Jeroen, to save the world, gave the powers back.
He fix the problems he had caused, but attacked the Authority. He was easily beating them all and was doing things than Jeroen had never shown the others (he even went back in time and raped The Engineer when she was a child). He was only stopped when the full powers of The Doctor hit him. (He had been getting it back little by little.) When he got all the powers, he was weakened when his mental link to everyone on the planet was restored. As soon as his mind connected with everyone else's, he was so sorry for his crimes. That didn't stop The Authority from killing him though. After he was dead, Jeroen got his powers back.
The Surgeon was created to replace the Doctor. He was from france and like the rest of his team he was a big jerk and love to use violence. His attittude towards his companions were despective, as he showed an arrogance comming from a superiority complex.
Meanwhile he took the powers of the Doctor, the SUrgeon trie dto create a manofactured religion to sell to the whole planet. Eventually he was killed by Midnighter.
The Chimera was an alternative candidate to the title of the Doctor after the death of Jeroen. He had ability enough to bring to life facsmils of the heroes of the DC Universe who fought against the inhabitants of the Wildstorm Universe. The boy was defeated by Habib, breaking the dreamworld he had created who take out his capacity to dream. However after the End of the World, Chimera would start again dreaming, creating new versions of the Americans and other SPBs before being stoped again by Jackson King and Ladytron.
Outside of the main linage of the Doctors, there has been other versions from the alternate earths:
- The Meritocracy's Doctor: On a reality of inversed genders, here Jeroen Thornewas a woman and member of the group knows as the Meritocracy.
- The Intern: Member of the Authoriteens, a group from an alternate reality where there were no adults. The Intern is a good natured and peaceful hero and possessor of great power. He's very intelligent but his reality's speaking patterns as well as his childish teammates hides that fact. He made himself friend with Sarah Rainmaker.
- The Alienist: Member of the Higher Power, a corrupt version of the Authority. This version of the Doctor clashed against the forces of the Monarchy. However isn't clear if the events of the Monarchy were canon after the Worldstorm.
- The Lost Year Doctors: During the time when the Authority was lost from the main Wildstorm Universe, the team found alternate versions of themselves, with several others version of the Doctor, including:
- The Right Reverend Doctor: From a reality where the Authority had spinted and caused a war between magic against technology.
- An alternative version of Habib Ben Hassan who instead being muslim was jewish and was more prone to make trick cards than real magic.
- An alternative version of Jeroen Thorndike from a reality where the Authority had conquered the world and had alll the other superhumans in prision. Jeroen was still alive, but had fallen in a deep drug adiction and was asking to the main Habib to kill him.