✫The Doctor Strange Discussion Thread☥

#301 Edited by Supermanthor (21373 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for mylittlefascist
#302 Posted by MyLittleFascist (31796 posts) - - Show Bio
#303 Posted by MyLittleFascist (31796 posts) - - Show Bio

@supermanthor: That's kind of what we've been brainstorming for the past page.

#304 Posted by MyLittleFascist (31796 posts) - - Show Bio
#305 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

who should play clea in mcu ?

We're still discussing that here.

How about Miranda Cosgrove?

She has what? 25 these days? It's not a bad idea, but at the same time, I'm not so sure about it because wouldn't be able to take Clea seriously anymore. Every time I would look at her, I would instantly remember ICarly...And on the other side, if by any chance I ever get to watch an episode or scene of that show again, I'll become traumatized by not being able to disassociate her from Clea herself.

#306 Posted by MyLittleFascist (31796 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101:

Every time I would look at her, I would instantly remember ICarly...

Hey, that's not fair. How else is she supposed to break out of that image? xD

@andromeda101: Katrina Law (Nyssa Al Ghul)?

#307 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@mylittlefascist said:

Katrina Law (Nyssa Al Ghul)?

She could definitely work, yes.

What's better is that with her, they could even do Clea's blue eyes without looking weird.

#308 Posted by MyLittleFascist (31796 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101: who should play clea in mcu ?

Guess there is your answer:

@mylittlefascist said:

Katrina Law (Nyssa Al Ghul)?

She could definitely work, yes.

What's better is that with her, they could even do Clea's blue eyes without looking weird.

#309 Posted by Supermanthor (21373 posts) - - Show Bio
#310 Edited by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm, I think Miranda looks too young now. She might be 25, but she still looks like someone with 19 or less based on my searches.

I do think she could pull out certain aspects from Clea's early personality when arrived on Earth since her character in ICarly also had those same traits from what I remember, but she's probably not a very good choice overall.

#311 Posted by MyLittleFascist (31796 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101:

Hmmm, I think Miranda looks too young now. She might be 25, but she still looks like someone with 19 or less based on my searches.

Eh, I think that's just because she's still typecast into teenage roles. If she plays an adult role, she can probably make herself look her age if need be.

It's like Maisie Williams. She looks like a teenager when playing Arya, but looks like an adult when playing an adult.

#312 Edited by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone such as Katrina Law still seems like the best bet for role, but I wonder if Derrickson has or will have the same thoughts...

While I didn't mind much about what was done with the Ancient One given Tilda Swinton still nailed Yao somehow, I do think his decision with casting Chiwetel Ejiofor as Mordo was terrible....If anything, I believe Mads Mikkelsen would've been done a better choice to be him rather than fricking Kaecilius.

#313 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@mylittlefascist said:

Eh, I think that's just because she's still typecast into teenage roles. If she plays an adult role, she can probably make herself look her age if need be.

It's like Maisie Williams. She looks like a teenager when playing Arya, but looks like an adult when playing an adult.

A bit off-topic, but I'll never believe that...

#314 Edited by MyLittleFascist (31796 posts) - - Show Bio

@mylittlefascist said:

A bit off-topic, but I'll never believe that...

That's because you're rigid and stuck in your ways. >_<

#315 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@mylittlefascist: No, I'm serious here.

I can't even begin to imagine Maisie looking like an adult, lol.

#316 Posted by MyLittleFascist (31796 posts) - - Show Bio

@mylittlefascist: No, I'm serious here.

I can't even begin to imagine Maisie looking like an adult, lol.

I know... That's because you're rigid and incapable of breaking free from first impressions.

#317 Edited by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@mylittlefascist: Shut up, I don't think you can judge me regarding conceptions and impressions when at the same time also thinks that aborted fetus Midna looks good. :P

That's like the very definition of having a bad taste and views, Zets. Lol.

#318 Posted by MyLittleFascist (31796 posts) - - Show Bio

@mylittlefascist: Shut up, I don't think you can judge me regarding conceptions and impressions when at the same time also thinks that aborted fetus Midna looks good. :P

That's like the very definition of having a bad taste and views, Zets. Lol.

Well, I think you're gorgeous, so if my taste is bad, what's that say about you? xD

#319 Edited by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@mylittlefascist: Hence why I said it that made me worry a lot.

Anyone who thinks that form of Midna looks good is either insane or have some very bad tastes.

#320 Edited by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@mylittlefascist: You make me go off-topic even in my own thread, don't ya? -_-

That topic is over for now then.

EDIT: And for the sake of maintaining the coherence, I won't reply in another post, but goddamit Zets...By everything that's most sacred, I need to say it's better for you to reformulate your post below. That's some real cheesiness.

#321 Posted by MyLittleFascist (31796 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101: Not my fault you have no resistance to my charms. =P

#322 Posted by MyLittleFascist (31796 posts) - - Show Bio
#323 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

Just dropping these videos here from Marvel's own Youtube account since I found them cool and is relevant to the thread:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

#324 Edited by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio
#325 Posted by jrupert1 (1518 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101: Hmm... probably not. Seems more like a one-off cameo. He doesn't seem to want to get involved and unless Umar takes Galactus there out of spite (which would be funny) I don't see how or why Galactus would go to Nightmare's realm. It would be interesting though, as a sort of warm up for Dormammu.

#326 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrupert1: You're probably right, but Umar's words seem like some sort of foreshadowing for me. Maybe that's too much to ask, but I would like a short 1v1 of Galactus against the other mystical entities before we get to the big showdown between him and Dormammu.

#327 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrupert1: Do you think that fire planet may have something to do with Dormammu himself? I'm wondering this because Strange said it's filled with dark energy.

#328 Posted by jrupert1 (1518 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101: I'm thinking a trap by Dormammu. It just seems too convenient, a fiery planet with no sentient life full of dark mystical energy in an issue where the confrontation between Dormammu and Galactus has been teased?

#329 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrupert1: Exactly. It's definitely something Dormammu might do.

We'll still have to wait until the issue comes out to be fully certain, though.

#330 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrupert1: @cosmic_reign@wastelandman: Have you guys read the new DS comic? What'd you guys think?

Oh, Clea also appears during Asgardians of the Galaxy#9 too. A quite minor one, but I loved to see her on Villanelli's art.

#331 Edited by cosmic_reign (3680 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101:

Yes! Great book IMO... and one of the better newer story arcs I've read.

Dormammu gets + points for prep. He pretty much instigated the whole thing once Galactus arrived in the Mystical Realm. I absolutely like Dormammus alliance, but I'm sure that'll hit the fan as soon as there is opportunity.

Don't want to spoil too much just yet...but def a good book to discuss!!

#332 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@cosmic_reign: I honestly didn't like it as much. I wanted for them to at least battle, but I guess that could still happen in the next issue. It was good to see how powerful truly are his Faltine Flames to do all that with Galactus, but I guess it was already established back in A+X#15 when Impossible Man used them to create a singularity to end all universes. The best part of this issue for me was Stephen's thoughts about Clea, honestly.

#333 Edited by dami24434 (4451 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101: what do you think about Mephisto easily containing Clea and her mother? Tbh this is pure pis to me I know they weren't fighting it though.

#334 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@dami24434: Yeah, it's another point I didn't like it, but they at least didn't seem to be fighting back so far and so who knows what might happen in the next issue. Regardless, I think we shouldn't still ignore certain factors like how it was inside his realm and Mephisto does mention beforehand that Galactus' actions in all the mystical realms have been tremendously advantageous for him by providing new souls, which Mephisto himself feeds on for power.

#335 Posted by cosmic_reign (3680 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101:

Ah, I see...

Along with the characters, I seem to like the scale and scope of the arc in general. Science and Magic dancing at some of the highest levels...

But of course the dialogue between Strange and Clea was warm.

#336 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@cosmic_reign: I do like the scope and the theme as well, I just wish it had the same art as the cover/previous arc. Not that is bad, but they're in two different levels altogether.

#337 Edited by jrupert1 (1518 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101: I liked it, even though as you said it didn't exactly deliver on all we hoped, such as a real confrontation. But I sort of expect one later, as part of the fall out to the arc. The Clea stuff was great, easily the best part and seemed to be a big step in what has previously been a bunch of little steps in the right direction. But the pace, more than before, is showing to be a somewhat double edge sword. A lot is happening and being covered so it's never dull, and the content is great. But I feel it tends to move too fast. Like the story is bigger than the issues he has allotted for so he jumps from one thing to the next. Which is great for urgency as it is a key theme here but nothing has time to simmer and set in.

As for Umar, I think what happened to her could be because a more powerful Mephisto is being made more powerful still with the mystical realms shenanigans or Waid honestly just overlooked the fact that Umar used to be as powerful as Dormammu once. He has shown knowledge of past Strange comics but it's something easily overlooked, and he has done that before for the story he wants. Such as Strange and Galactus' previous interactions being forgotten. It's nothing near Cates level of inconsistent but potentially not an issue to be ignored, until context is given.

#338 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrupert1: Well, I won't say that was bad because would be lying, I think I'm just very disappointed that wasn't really even a single big battle in this issue. I still rate it as a very solid issue with an 8 or so.

You're probably right about the Umar part, but maybe things will take a different turn in the next comic. And frankly...They didn't even seem like were trying to escape from Mephisto's prison at that moment, too.

Avatar image for whatisthisdarnthing
#339 Posted by whatisthisdarnthing (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Umar pretty much always backstabs and outsmarts Dormammu in the end so I’m fully expecting her to have something up her sleeve

Now that the villain is fully revealed and powered, I wonder where the next few issues will go

#340 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@whatisthisdarnthing: Maybe Mephisto does backstab him instead, I wouldn't put past someone like him in all honesty.

Based on the previews of the covers and the summaries, Galactus will somehow turn back into normal later yet still maintain a new sort of amp, will probably fight against Eternity in an event that will threat the multiverse and Strange will need to choose between saving everyone or saving Clea. That's all pure guess, though.

#341 Posted by WastelandMan (8817 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101:

I thought it was a pretty good issue overall. I liked the twists and the interactions he's exploring with science/magic. Since Mephisto's now a factor, I'm wondering if he'll attempt to betray Dormammu at some point or battle Umar. I know where you're coming from about the issue not doing Dormammu vs Galactus, it seems like such a wasted opportunity, but it could still happen like you pointed out. With as many cosmic entities getting involved I feel there's going to be at least one battle coming up. Also, Strange outright states he's going to put an effort to try to fix his relationship with Clea so it might finally be happening.

On a side note, Strange also got some pretty good feats like being in close proximity to Galactus while he was shrieking with enough force to shatter a moon (alongside Clea) or surviving the compression of a dimension collapsing on him

@jrupert1 said:

But I feel it tends to move too fast. Like the story is bigger than the issues he has allotted for so he jumps from one thing to the next. Which is great for urgency as it is a key theme here but nothing has time to simmer and set in.

With as big a scope and build up as the current story has I'm hoping the arc doesn't end as abruptly and neatly as the previous one.

#342 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman: Yes, I think that we could see Galactus+Dormammu sweeping across the mystical realms and beating its entities before culminating in a full-battle between the two(Maybe, I'm still somewhat skeptical about it now). And indeed, Strange has gotten some impressive new showings.

#343 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrupert1: @whatisthisdarnthing: @wastelandman: Here are the previews for August!:

BLACK CAT#3:

No Caption Provided

JED MACKAY (W) • TRAVEL FOREMAN (A)

Cover by J. SCOTT CAMPBELL (VIRGIN VERSION ALSO AVAILABLE)

Bring on the Bad Guys Variant Cover by INHYUK LEE

Variant Cover by Jen Bartel

Variant Cover by FRANK CHO

• Surprising no one, Black Cat’s heist of Doctor Strange’s Sanctum Sanctorum has gone horribly wrong.

• Felicia and her crew are under attack in a place where any wrong turn or opened door means certain death.

• It would take an insane amount of luck to get out alive. How much luck would it take to get out alive with the loot?

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

DOCTOR STRANGE#18:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

MARK WAID (W) • JESUS SAIZ (A/C)

Bring on the Bad Guys Variant

Cover by IRINA NORDSOL

Marvels 25th Tribute Variant

Cover by ALAN DAVIS

• Stephen Strange is back on Earth after his Multiversal odyssey with Galactus and Clea.

• But is the Multiverse done with Doctor Strange?

• A truly terrifying villain is working their way into the Marvel U via a small house in Kansas, in the issue that will have people talking for years!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

DOCTOR STRANGE#19:

No Image So Far.

MARK WAID (W) • JESUS SAIZ (A/C)

Bring on the Bad Guys Variant

Cover by MARCOS MARTIN

• Doctor Strange’s life was changed by a car accident in upstate New York.

• A new accident is going to change Stephen’s life in just as big a way.

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

And as a bonus, Nightmare's future appearance in the Acts of Villainy:

Deadpool Annual#1:

No Caption Provided

Dana Schwartz (W) • Reilly Brown (A) • Cover by Aaron Kuder

Connecting Variant Cover by John Tyler Christopher

ACTS OF EVIL!

Eight-year-old Peter Quincy is willing to pay seven dollars to the person who can kill his bad dreams, and the Merc with a Mouth is on the case! But if Deadpool wants to earn that sweet, sweet paper, he’s going to have to throw down with Nightmare himself!

40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99

=========================================================================

What'd you guys think?

#344 Posted by whatisthisdarnthing (6 posts) - - Show Bio

So secretive for #19, not even a cover?

Well, I trust Waid to not screw it up. As long as he doesn’t lose his magic AGAIN, I’m in. Clea also better be involved somehow

#345 Posted by WastelandMan (8817 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101:

Great art for the Doctor Strange covers as always. Judging by the synopsis and art, Strange is going to deal with another cosmic threat to the multiverse. I'm not following that Deadpool series so I don't know how good the writing consistently is but it's worth checking out because the potential for Nightmare in a Deadpool comic could be amazing.

#346 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@whatisthisdarnthing said:

So secretive for #19, not even a cover?

Well, I trust Waid to not screw it up. As long as he doesn’t lose his magic AGAIN, I’m in. Clea also better be involved somehow

When they don't reveal the cover, it's usually because it spoils quite a lot about the plot in the issue or/and the entire storyline. I honestly believe they won't show to us what's all about until the #18 is already out.

I doubt it, Waid already seemed to make a critique about how many times writers had Strange lose his magic and get it back when the story-arc began:

No Caption Provided

And if you remember, Waid's first arc was even about Strange going to space to get new forms of magic after the Damnation Arc by Cates. And we might be able that this "big change" in Strange's life is fixing his romantic relationship with Clea, too.

Great art for the Doctor Strange covers as always. Judging by the synopsis and art, Strange is going to deal with another cosmic threat to the multiverse. I'm not following that Deadpool series so I don't know how good the writing consistently is but it's worth checking out because the potential for Nightmare in a Deadpool comic could be amazing.

And apparently the same art as the covers will be the one inside the issue again, which's great since I really loved Jesus Saiz's art style. I'm not so sure about the Deadpool comic though, based on what I searched, Dana Schwartz has never written a comic in her life.

#347 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@whatisthisdarnthing: @wastelandman: I wonder, but maybe this villain the summary is referring to might be Shuma-Gorath itself? I ask this because of the cover where it shows tentacles, lol.

#348 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman: @jrupert1: Have you guys read Superior Spider-Man(2018)#6? Honestly, I had very mixed opinions about it. Master Pandemonium was always an underwhelming threat and it seems the writer was trying too hard to us take him as so, I don't believe those jokes about his acting career helped any bit. His power was always kinda goofy to me and never that great, so it would've been so much better if they actually used real Hell-Lords such Satannish or actually Mephisto, who did appear in the end and was teased for a future conflict. On the other side, I did like the flashbacks about Stephen's past showing his character development and his neurosurgeon skills being put into action more often.

What are your thoughts about it?

#349 Posted by whatisthisdarnthing (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightmare was wayyy too easily defeated in war scrolls, like come on even if you aren’t scared of him he has power over you

#350 Posted by Andromeda101 (493 posts) - - Show Bio

@whatisthisdarnthing: I just finished reading it. It was still way better than Strange's other appearance in Otto's book, tbh. And I don't think Nightmare's defeat was that bad though.

Strange has already shown that Nightmare doesn't have power over him anymore in Waid's Doctor Strange Vol.5#10, so much that that was even hinted back then that Nightmare's worst nightmare...Is Strange, lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.