Follow

Doctor Strange

Character » Doctor Strange appears in 4912 issues.

Dr. Stephen Strange was once a gifted but egotistical surgeon who sought out the Ancient One to heal his hands after they were wounded in a car accident. Instead, the Ancient One trained him to become Master of the Mystic Arts and the Sorcerer Supreme of Earth.

✫The Doctor Strange Discussion Thread☥

Avatar image for deactivated-5c522ab96172e
    deactivated-5c522ab96172e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@wastelandman: @jrupert1: So, his face has been revealed, but I don't remember seeing the guy before. Does any of you record where did he appear?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman: @jrupert1: The comic's out! What are your thoughts on it? It seems I was wrong, Casey told Stephen this enemy is a new guy. Another thing, I didn't expect Kanna to simply walk away...That was a bit surprising tbh. Still, I'm not digging how the writers lately are trying to portray Stephen as kind of a douchebag, we should've been long past that phase, so Waid definitely let me down on this one.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By WastelandMan
    @andromeda101 said:

@wastelandman: @jrupert1: So, his face has been revealed, but I don't remember seeing the guy before. Does any of you record where did he appear?

This new villain definitely seems really weird. Apparently has control of all of Earth's magic and takes the appearance of a African American wearing outdated clothing?

@andromeda101 said:

@wastelandman: @jrupert1: The comic's out! What are your thoughts on it? It seems I was wrong, Casey told Stephen this enemy is a new guy. Another thing, I didn't expect Kanna to simply walk away...That was a bit surprising tbh. Still, I'm not digging how the writers lately are trying to portray Stephen as kind of a douchebag, we should've been long past that phase, so Waid definitely let me down on this one.

I actually liked this issue except for the ending. I hated the reason given for Strange erasing Kanna's memories as him simply wanting to feel powerful which was not the direction I was expecting that to go. I'm also shocked Kanna straight up just left. I really hope she returns because it'd be a waste since there's still a lot of potential for her character. Besides that, the writing, art, and action were good, we got some closure of Casey's arc, and I'm genuinely interested in finding out more about what Waid's setting up with this villain.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman: This new villain definitely seems really weird. Apparently has control of all of Earth's magic and takes the appearance of a African American wearing outdated clothing?

Yeah and if you look closely, you'll notice he also has a stamp written "Rejected" on it. I believe that, together with his formal attire, may imply the guy is most likely based on those people who work on banks and deal with loans(In this case though, in the mystical-side). Lol.

I actually liked this issue except for the ending. I hated the reason given for Strange erasing Kanna's memories as him simply wanting to feel powerful which was not the direction I was expecting that to go. I'm also shocked Kanna straight up just left. I really hope she returns because it'd be a waste since there's still a lot of potential for her character. Besides that, the writing, art, and action were good, we got some closure of Casey's arc, and I'm genuinely interested in finding out more about what Waid's setting up with this villain.

Yeah, I hated that part because Kanna's words make Stephen looks like he was and is an absolute dickhead with everyone around him thanks to something as trivial as "ego", but Strange already faced that flaw a long time ago when training under the Ancient One and someone would expect that a guy who lived through all of his experiences, would at least develop some humility. Either Kanna might return or maybe Strange will need to deal with this situation/problem in the worst manner, by eventually talking with his former-lover Clea over his mistakes(I sure hope it takes this turn so the two might be together again, lol). I agree that everything else was top-notch, especially Strange battling both an extremely amped Casey with artifacts like the Crimson Gem of Cyttorak, Spear of Longinus and so on, while still holding back and having Mordo to team-up against him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman: Oh! I was looking at the previous comics and this new enemy already fully-appeared in the third issue:

No Caption Provided

So Waid was planning on setting up this guy since the very beginning.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101:

Holy crap that is him, good find! And it looks like you're right, he's some kind of accountant/banker of magic but if that's true that implies he has a boss.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman: Thanks, lol! Another thing that might reinforce this theory, but didn't Mordo keep screaming to Stephen things like "You'll need to pay the price for your magic"? If that's true, makes sense the enemy would be based on accountants/bankers to fit that narrative.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman said:

Holy crap that is him, good find! And it looks like you're right, he's some kind of accountant/banker of magic but if that's true that implies he has a boss.

Maybe Waid is trying to set up a new magical hierarchy/group then? We might finally get a decisive answer on who sits above everyone else in the mystical-side.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By WastelandMan

@wastelandman said:

Maybe Waid is trying to set up a new magical hierarchy/group then? We might finally get a decisive answer on who sits above everyone else in the mystical-side.

That's what where I'm thinking he's going too. Marvel really does need to give a better update on what's happening on its mystical side of things after Last Days of Magic. You'd think the death and revival of all magic would be a bigger deal.

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finally read it and yeah, I am always annoyed by writers when they portray him like that, even more disappointed in Waid because I had hoped he would drop that angle that modern writers keep trying to attribute to his character despite time and again proving to have wholeheartedly changed under the tutelage of the Ancient One. And then showing how despite all his power and responsibilities he is a humble character, one who cared first and foremost for others, even beyond his own life. But writers keep making him someone who is arrogant, irresponsible, and acts out of a fear of death.

But otherwise it was well written and pretty badass. And I guess we were all pretty off when it comes to the villain. But if he has a boss I have no clue who that would be. As for a mystic hierarchy, it would be nice. I mean they had a pretty good one before but in the last 10 years or so that has been pretty much messed up and ignored.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrupert1: @wastelandman: I decided to post those artworks made by Abz-J-Harding because I found them both cool and interesting. Remember that demon who Stephen made a pact with it back in New Avengers(2013) Annual#1 until New Avengers(2013)#21? These drawings are based on that, about Strange being corrupted into an evil and more amped version of himself, which kinda make me wonder if the writers will ever address this again since it has potential.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman: @jrupert1: The preview of the next chapter is out!:

I must say though, I laughed a lot. This is what I call a good humor in a Doctor Strange comic, heh.

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By jrupert1

@andromeda101: That takes me back. Back to the way the Doctor should be written. Also really loving the art there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrupert1: Yeah. Unlike Cates or Aaron, Waid seems to be trying his hardest to please the fans in general with both serious tones and humor.

I think if any writer these days deserves a shot to show us what he can do, it's him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb
    deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: Can u tell me where does Classic Strange ranked among the high tiers(it will also be great if u can show me an RT for Strange ) ? Btw it's really nice to see a fan who has interest in Marvel Mysticism :)

I haven't really started the new run cause's i have only read some of the few issues from Aaron's run but that's it for now .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biswaboxz: Hi! Answering your question, there's not really a difference between modern Strange and classic per Tom Brevoort's own Tumblr page back when he was Marvel's editor. Some folks misinterpreted the small time when Stephen was no longer the SS and when the character fell into the hands of inconsistent writers like Bendis as an indication of being weaker than his past-self all the times. Anyway, I usually rank him considerably above most high-tiers like Thor, Green Lantern, Superman, Surfer and so on and I think Strange is more in the "Transcendent" level as some people call the tier above heralds.

Great! I'm not that much of a fan from Aaron's run, but will definitely be worth when you get to Waid, I can promise that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman: @jrupert1: The comic's out already, folks! And, like, I REALLY NEED TO TALK ABOUT IT! If you guys haven't read already, be careful with the rest of my post:

No Caption Provided

That was probably the BEST DOCTOR STRANGE COMIC to have launched so far since his own series started again in 2015. Like, I'm starting to think Waid is reading this thread after all. He delivered a very sympathetic and thoughtful Stephen with the people of Bleecker Street, even saying that his main reason to staying with the house is to protect them and the lives they've created, which in my opinion excuses his writing from the previous comic.

Everything was top notch, from the humor to the serious tones. Not only that, but THE ANCIENT ONE IS FRICKING BACK! I can't really believe it, even less when he called Stephen by the title of master. Yao even explained that apparently this new villain is a threat to the entire universe, so Strange is back to facing the big enemies again. It seems we're getting some cool action and emotional/serious moments in the next comic then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman: @jrupert1:Another thing, but you guys should read Immortal Hulk: The Best Defense. Strange has a cameo there, I won't say it I liked it so far, but seems to be the start of an interesting mystery.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: Can u name the person who appeared on the last panel of the Best Defense ? The issue was really good though .

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@andromeda101: hey you have dr strange discussion thread thats awesome

tag me in if there any major announcements in the future

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biswaboxz said:

: Can u name the person who appeared on the last panel of the Best Defense ? The issue was really good though .

That was future Strange, who killed his past-self.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By jrupert1

@andromeda101: Yeah this run is turning into something special. That preview was a great tease but didn't reveal just how great every page after that would be. It's great seeing Stephen act like Stephen (despite that minor worry earlier with Kanna). Seeing him as a caring person alone would have been enough, his swift act of justice against the threat to the neighborhood was so satisfying, the lawyer bit was great, and yes the Ancient One is back!

Cool to see Strange have a cameo in Hulk.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biswaboxz: do you have sliver surfers preview as well ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanthor: No i haven't got it yet , either way it may the one that was leading to the continuity of Namor's Defenders issue which i haven't read yet .

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: @jrupert1:

I finally got around to reading it. 10/10 on everything! The art was fantastic too:

I really hope to see more scenes like that with the artist. Strange's characterization this issue was also a really great way to bounce back from how he was depicted the last issue. Probably my favorite Strange comic in a long time. With the current Strange series, Hulk's Immortal Hulk series and now the Defenders series, Strange and Hulk have been getting some great stories recently. Makes me feel really bad for Thor fans since he's getting shit on at every corner currently.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biswaboxz: Thanks for the link, friend! It looks awesome, but I'm still not sure if will be since the writer is Garry Duggan...The same guy who wrote those atrocious Infinity Wars: Soldier Supreme comics.

@andromeda101: @jrupert1:

I finally got around to reading it. 10/10 on everything! The art was fantastic too:

I really hope to see more scenes like that with the artist. Strange's characterization this issue was also a really great way to bounce back from how he was depicted the last issue. Probably my favorite Strange comic in a long time. With the current Strange series, Hulk's Immortal Hulk series and now the Defenders series, Strange and Hulk have been getting some great stories recently. Makes me feel really bad for Thor fans since he's getting shit on at every corner currently.

Yeah, sadly we'll have to wait until January 30 for the next issue(Longer than it took to launch the others) to discover how big of a threat this new enemy is and finally see some great characterization from Strange again if Waid continues with this level of quality. I also agree that's a pity how Strange and Hulk have been amazingly handled by Al and Waid while Thor fans got the bad luck of having Jason Aaron as the main writer of the characther's series.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: It's not his responsibility(as a whole) to write this character , given the majority of the Defenders is being orchestrated by Al Ewing , so let's hope we get to see him in a good way :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101:Just asking out curiosity if u don't mind replying me , do u like to read horror comics ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biswaboxz said:

ust asking out curiosity if u don't mind replying me , do u like to read horror comics ?

I do, although I haven't found any good comics of the genre lately.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrupert1: @wastelandman: Have you guys seen the link posted by Biswaboxz above? Just reminding the "Old Man Strange" launches tomorrow, lol.

Do you guys think it's worth to give a shot though? It's written by Garry Duggan after all, who mostly write Deadpool comics and is responsible for those Infinity Wars: Soldier Supreme comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: Can u give any preferences for reading good read on horror comics ?

BTW Have u seen the January Solicitations ? It seems like Marvel is going release horror comics on late January .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biswaboxz: Harrow County and Nameless are the best modern horror comics that I know of.

No, I didn't. I heard they did something for the Halloween though, but I haven't read it yet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: Thanks . I will check those out .

Yeah they only made a one shot comic issue on Avengers for Halloween .

There are quiet a few no of horror comics that are coming on January . Some comics like Crypt of Shadows and War is Hell are out on January that are being mentioned here(Bleeding Cool) .But i can't really recall any other comic right now . U can check all the solicit if u want . Marvel Comics JANUARY 2019 Solicitations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biswaboxz: So, I've read Doctor Strange: The Best Defense.

I liked the art, but not the storyline. Plus I found very stupid how Gerry Duggan handled Dormammu, again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: I am actually confused with how did he able to defeat Dormammu . It wasn't entertaininng but either way i got to realize how/which Strange died b4 .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biswaboxz: Strange kept Hulk's head alive and mystically change it to able of absorbing magic, then used Dormammu's attack to power-up Hulk and have the same donate himself right after to create an energy wave powerful enough to ride what's left of Surfer's board.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: So by help of Surfer's board he time traveled ? and apparently it seems like Dormammu is the main antagonist of Best Defense .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biswaboxz: I don't know since Strange went through the Eye of Agamotto in the end. As I said, Dormammu actually came after the new enemy and conquered the Earth.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it seems like all things are revolving around celestials(i mean Avengers , Infinity Wars and now Defenders) . Don't feel it quite uncanny ? Either way i will read the Surfer issue b4 getting into conclusion .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biswaboxz: It's either Marvel trying to connect all events into one thing or they simply lack the imagination to come up with different plots.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to say though, but I really hate Cates and Duggan's design for Dormammu. The human-sized Dormammu is a shit choice as well.

I believe he should be at least 13 feet tall. The best design for him still continues to be Derrickson's unused artworks for the movie IMO.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: Yeah I read it, I had mixed feelings. Most of the dialog felt wasteful, like they tried to hammer a bunch of events in to set up the story but didn't do it effectively. I liked the ending, everything after Hulk's head did the magical explosion, so there's still promise.

I didn't mind Dormammu's look though, I have seen just about as many worse as I have better. It was serviceable, much like his overall presence in the story ended up being.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrupert1: I also liked the ending of the issue, but still maintain my dislike for Dormammu's design. He's supposed to be this godlike mystical entity whose name strike fear across dimensions and they have his clothes like something straight out of Village People(The only reason why didn't seem worse is because of the art-style itself). This isn't the 60's/70's anymore, those types of bland and cheesy designs don't please the eyes now IMO.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.