Follow

Doctor Strange

Character » Doctor Strange appears in 4912 issues.

Dr. Stephen Strange was once a gifted but egotistical surgeon who sought out the Ancient One to heal his hands after they were wounded in a car accident. Instead, the Ancient One trained him to become Master of the Mystic Arts and the Sorcerer Supreme of Earth.

✫The Doctor Strange Discussion Thread☥

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#502  Edited By jrupert1

@andromeda101: I liked it as well. It was quite reminiscent of the type of little stories we used to get, which is welcome after such an arc. And yeah, that ending left me with a smile. That would be funny if Waid has seen this.

Speaking of call backs, that feat of resetting the house (and even with the addition) was nice continuation of his old trend of resetting damaged locations (because he doesn't like to leave behind a mess.

Avatar image for whatisthisdarnthing
    whatisthisdarnthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue was fun and a great breather issue after the last arc. The solicits overhyped this, but any comic book reader should know better than to trust solicits at this point

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101:

I would love to see Shuma-Gorath adapted on-screen, but I think they should reserve the character for a third/final movie because it's Strange's most powerful and dangerous enemy after all. Derrickson could use the Fear-Lords in this one instead IMO:

We've got all sorts of different/unique members in the Fear-Lords and makes sense to see them all in a movie thematically addressing the multiverse.

That'd be awesome in fact when Nightmare was first rumored to be the villain I hoped for an adaptation of The Great Fear arc.

Woah, do you have a link? I would've definitely wanted to see that, but yeah, I agree the general audience might not understand anything and could badly hurt the pacing.

https://www.cbr.com/avengers-infinity-war-thanos-almost-faced-living-tribunal/

@whatisthisdarnthing@wastelandman@jrupert1: Ah, I forgot the comic was out today. I just finished reading, what are your thoughts about it?

I like it, honestly. It feels like a breath of fresh air after the last arc and was a fun read, Stephen's personality and sweet-side were highlighted by Waid in this part:

Which's a good thing for me because I thought Strange was being a bit too jerky in the preview. Reading this comic for me was like watching Spider-Man: Far From Home in the theaters, heh. It wasn't anything groundbreaking, but once again, still fun.

I agree that the issue really wasn't anything special but is good pacing to have this detour after all the action. Waid pretty much did the same thing after the last arc in issue #9.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman: @whatisthisdarnthing@jrupert1: Derrickson has shared this on Twitter:

It's from Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme#21 and it's from the same arc as Dormammu's return, but it's also very close to the Great Fear! If Derrickson is reading this volume and if already had plans to bring Nightmare, we could potentially get the rest Fear Lords as well.

Nice catch! This is definitely encouraging if he's currently reading the arc because apparently the script is still being written, so the possibility he's taking inspiration by these stories is strong.

Avatar image for professorrespect
    ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Surgeon? arf

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101 said:

@wastelandman@jrupert1@whatisthisdarnthing: So, what'd you guys think about this issue? I like it, especially because Waid has been introducing new lore to Strange's world.

I liked it too though I feel like it treads a lot of old ground with his character, but it's still the first issue in the arc to be fair.

And once again, I loved Nightmare's portrayal in Loki(2019)#3:

He's almost at Silent Hill's level of terrifying now, I definitely want Derrickson to use a version like this.

His depiction has been a really present surprise in a series I wasn't expecting much from.

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: I quite liked it and as you said, especially the additional lore he added here. Although the crisis took some suspension of disbelief because I could think of several things he could have done that are within his abilities which wouldn't require him to do what he did.

It will be interesting to see how the new development at hand plays out, hopefully it doesn't just end up amounting to nothing (I just see him having to sacrifice them in the near future).

And yes I'm continuously impressed with Nightmare's depiction as of late in, as WastelandMan said, appearances where I wasn't expecting much. If I had one criticism it would be the continued use of the words "my nightmare vision." It's probably just me but it sounds so cheesy and out of place in contrast to his actions. If he were to say to Loki something along the lines of "even the god of lies cannot hide his nightmares, I see what you truly fear." it would retain the tone and gravity of Nightmare better. I just feel the writing should commit and ax the misplaced hokey dialog.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman: @jrupert1: Have you guys seen this?

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/10/marvel-comics-doctor-strange-relaunch-surgeon-supreme-healed-hands

Not too crazy about the concept as I don't see how/why Strange recovering his hands would cause such a supposed impact to the character at this point outside whatever cost the spell he used to heal them had that was hinted at in the last issue. The choice to have Wrecker as an antagonist is also pretty odd. I'm still open to see where it's going but we'll have to wait and see.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom and Strange working together again is interesting. Even though I enjoy the title so far, I am starting to share doubts that he could properly write for Strange. The fact he needs Doom's help just to deal with Kulan Gath, who should be well below Strange's paygrade at this point, is concerning. Then again we don't know what Gath's planning currently so there could be factors that warrant it, but I'm skeptical seeing as more powerful and better prepping sorcerers have tried and failed against Strange with zero help in the past.

Avatar image for whatisthisdarnthing
    whatisthisdarnthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like marvel does want to push his new status quo, at least for a month

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I trust Waid but the synopsis of Surgeon Supreme can't help but have me somewhat nervous for his character.

I'm not particularly excited about any of those upcoming other comic appearances. And yeah, something big would have to happen to justify Kulan Gath.

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: Yeah but the whole "torn between and forced to choose between obligations" doesn't sit right with me. This is ground that has been thoroughly covered before and I don't see him backtracking simply because it's now an option. Granted I'm certain Waid will have him make the greater choice but I don't see how they can make it a thing without forcing it.

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#532  Edited By jrupert1

@andromeda101: Well yeah a lot of stories have been told and character stuff has been covered. It's hard to come up with something completely original. I'm not suggesting or expecting it. But there's a difference between moving forward while incorporating old themes, stories, arcs, etc and artificially backtracking. The topic in the upcoming comic series is one that has been utilized multiple times, it being brought up again in and of itself isn't the issue (and really it's only a concern on how it might be handled). The thing is, it has built up his conviction (in moments where he's tested or someone's attempting to manipulate him) and how his new path is the path for him, it's more important not only to the universe but to him. To move forward on the topic it should be, even with his hands and the new potential and opportunities, reinforcing his conviction and duty. Not make him question his path as seems to be suggested. The choice is being made to seem tougher than it should be for him.

As I said I don't know how it'll be done, and I have trust in Waid, but the way the preview has been written I can't help but be a bit nervous.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#534  Edited By WastelandMan

Made a Baron Mordo Respect thread:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/respect-baron-mordo-archenemy-of-doctor-strange-2047264/

@jrupert1: @andromeda101:

I didn't add his feats from Strange Tales when he was working for Dormammu or when he was given power by Satannish and Mephisto since he was amped but was thinking about adding a separate section for that. When thinking about it though, in that instance with Dormammu, I'm considering adding it because Mordo has been a regular patron of Dormammu and he's far surpassed that level anyway. What do you you guys think?

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman: You're on a roll with the respect threads.

I think including them should be fine as long as there's a disclaimer explaining the context (because you're right).

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: Yeah I read it earlier today. But unfortunately it seems people are focusing on "you were shown the origin of this universe" and are taking it to mean he was only responsible for affecting one universe.

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#540  Edited By jrupert1

@andromeda101 said:

@jrupert1: Yeah, but if I'm not mistaken, even the Living Tribunal has come from the birth of the mainstream universe together with the other abstracts. It's a low attempt to lowball it IMO.

Right, I thought it was relatively clear that the multiverse expanded from a focal point at the big bang. When he goes back in time before the creation event and then creates the big bang, it's evident he created more than one universe.

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#546  Edited By jrupert1

@andromeda101 said:

@whatisthisdarnthing: @wastelandman: @jrupert1: Have you guys read this issue? I honestly have mixed feelings about it, especially it was overhyped for nothing.

Overall I enjoyed it, and would have even more if they didn't (as you said) hype it up to be something it wasn't (seriously covers are often misleading but that was overboard). I feel the issue with the muscle memory in his new hands was a huge stretch just to create some level of threat, ultimately the same can be said about why he even needed Kanna.

Strange's password was a nice touch though. And I totally called the thing about his nightmare.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#549  Edited By WastelandMan
    @andromeda101 said:

@whatisthisdarnthing: @wastelandman: @jrupert1: Have you guys read this issue? I honestly have mixed feelings about it, especially because was overhyped for nothing.

Definitely. I was waiting in anticipation for the "event so epic" that it "shakes Doctor Strange to the core" from the synopsis for most of the comic until I realized it would never come. This was very much like a filler story which is a disappointing end to an overall solid series. I also agree entirely with @jrupert1 about Kanna's role and his his muscle memory especially. I mean are we to believe Strange never noticed this despite casting several spells already or never bothered to run some test spells after his hands were healed at any point prior to that especially considering how he got them? It's also really weird why Kanna didn't know the Ancient One Strange was referring to despite her having literally met him back in issue #11.

There were still things to appreciate (I like Strange using his Cloak to stealthily wielding a nearby weapon and the subtle throwback and references).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.