✫The Doctor Strange Discussion Thread☥

#501 Edited by Andromeda101 (1429 posts) - - Show Bio

Hum, sometimes I feel like Waid has actually been reading this thread. Especially with that part of Strange being a jerk in this comic.

I mean, in only eleven months, we've got over 9,000 views here and usually stay listed among the most popular boards. Who knows then? Maybe a few were actually from him, heh!

#502 Edited by jrupert1 (1580 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101: I liked it as well. It was quite reminiscent of the type of little stories we used to get, which is welcome after such an arc. And yeah, that ending left me with a smile. That would be funny if Waid has seen this.

Speaking of call backs, that feat of resetting the house (and even with the addition) was nice continuation of his old trend of resetting damaged locations (because he doesn't like to leave behind a mes).

#503 Edited by Andromeda101 (1429 posts) - - Show Bio
@jrupert1 said:

I liked it as well. It was quite reminiscent of the type of little stories we used to get, which is welcome after such an arc. And yeah, that ending left me with a smile. That would be funny if Waid has seen this.

Speaking of call backs, that feat of resetting the house (and even with the addition) was nice continuation of his old trend of resetting damaged locations (because he doesn't like to leave behind a mes).

Yeah, lol. I got some vibes from Strange Tales back when Stan and Ditko had Stephen fix the mess at the end of each comic. If I'm not mistaken, Dan Slott used to frequent this site and even had an account here...So yeah, I don't think it's impossible for Waid to have at least read a few posts.

Avatar image for whatisthisdarnthing
#504 Posted by whatisthisdarnthing (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Issue was fun and a great breather issue after the last arc. The solicits overhyped this, but any comic book reader should know better than to trust solicits at this point

#505 Posted by WastelandMan (8855 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101:

I would love to see Shuma-Gorath adapted on-screen, but I think they should reserve the character for a third/final movie because it's Strange's most powerful and dangerous enemy after all. Derrickson could use the Fear-Lords in this one instead IMO:

We've got all sorts of different/unique members in the Fear-Lords and makes sense to see them all in a movie thematically addressing the multiverse.

That'd be awesome in fact when Nightmare was first rumored to be the villain I hoped for an adaptation of The Great Fear arc.

Woah, do you have a link? I would've definitely wanted to see that, but yeah, I agree the general audience might not understand anything and could badly hurt the pacing.

https://www.cbr.com/avengers-infinity-war-thanos-almost-faced-living-tribunal/

@whatisthisdarnthing@wastelandman@jrupert1: Ah, I forgot the comic was out today. I just finished reading, what are your thoughts about it?

I like it, honestly. It feels like a breath of fresh air after the last arc and was a fun read, Stephen's personality and sweet-side were highlighted by Waid in this part:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

Which's a good thing for me because I thought Strange was being a bit too jerky in the preview. Reading this comic for me was like watching Spider-Man: Far From Home in the theaters, heh. It wasn't anything groundbreaking, but once again, still fun.

I agree that the issue really wasn't anything special but is good pacing to have this detour after all the action. Waid pretty much did the same thing after the last arc in issue #9.

#506 Posted by Andromeda101 (1429 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman: @whatisthisdarnthing@jrupert1: Derrickson has shared this on Twitter:

It's from Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme#21 and it's from the same arc as Dormammu's return, but it's also very close to the Great Fear! If Derrickson is reading this volume and if already had plans to bring Nightmare, we could potentially get the rest Fear Lords as well.

#507 Posted by WastelandMan (8855 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman: @whatisthisdarnthing@jrupert1: Derrickson has shared this on Twitter:

It's from Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme#21 and it's from the same arc as Dormammu's return, but it's also very close to the Great Fear! If Derrickson is reading this volume and if already had plans to bring Nightmare, we could potentially get the rest Fear Lords as well.

Nice catch! This is definitely encouraging if he's currently reading the arc because apparently the script is still being written, so the possibility he's taking inspiration by these stories is strong.

#509 Posted by Andromeda101 (1429 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for professorrespect
#510 Posted by ProfessorRespect (8842 posts) - - Show Bio

Surgeon? arf

#511 Posted by Andromeda101 (1429 posts) - - Show Bio

@professorrespect said:

Surgeon? arf

Lame ideas for a new volume aside, I think it makes sense.

He's probably going to "heal" a lot of things, such as his marriage that Marvel decided to ruin for PC reasons.

#512 Posted by Andromeda101 (1429 posts) - - Show Bio
#513 Posted by Andromeda101 (1429 posts) - - Show Bio

And once again, I loved Nightmare's portrayal in Loki(2019)#3:

He's almost at Silent Hill's level of terrifying now, I definitely want Derrickson to use a version like this.

#514 Posted by WastelandMan (8855 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101 said:

@wastelandman@jrupert1@whatisthisdarnthing: So, what'd you guys think about this issue? I like it, especially because Waid has been introducing new lore to Strange's world.

I liked it too though I feel like it treads a lot of old ground with his character, but it's still the first issue in the arc to be fair.

And once again, I loved Nightmare's portrayal in Loki(2019)#3:

He's almost at Silent Hill's level of terrifying now, I definitely want Derrickson to use a version like this.

His depiction has been a really present surprise in a series I wasn't expecting much from.

#515 Posted by jrupert1 (1580 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101: I quite liked it and as you said, especially the additional lore he added here. Although the crisis took some suspension of disbelief because I could think of several things he could have done that are within his abilities which wouldn't require him to do what he did.

It will be interesting to see how the new development at hand plays out, hopefully it doesn't just end up amounting to nothing (I just see him having to sacrifice them in the near future).

And yes I'm continuously impressed with Nightmare's depiction as of late in, as WastelandMan said, appearances where I wasn't expecting much. If I had one criticism it would be the continued use of the words "my nightmare vision." It's probably just me but it sounds so cheesy and out of place in contrast to his actions. If he were to say to Loki something along the lines of "even the god of lies cannot hide his nightmares, I see what you truly fear." it would retain the tone and gravity of Nightmare better. I just feel the writing should commit and ax the misplaced hokey dialog.

#516 Posted by Andromeda101 (1429 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman: @jrupert1: Have you guys seen this?

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/10/marvel-comics-doctor-strange-relaunch-surgeon-supreme-healed-hands

#517 Posted by WastelandMan (8855 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman: @jrupert1: Have you guys seen this?

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/10/marvel-comics-doctor-strange-relaunch-surgeon-supreme-healed-hands

Not too crazy about the concept as I don't see how/why Strange recovering his hands would cause such a supposed impact to the character at this point outside whatever cost the spell he used to heal them had that was hinted at in the last issue. The choice to have Wrecker as an antagonist is also pretty odd. I'm still open to see where it's going but we'll have to wait and see.

#518 Posted by Andromeda101 (1429 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman said:

Not too crazy about the concept as I don't see how/why Strange recovering his hands would cause such a supposed impact to the character at this point outside whatever cost the spell he used to heal them had that was hinted at in the last issue. The choice to have Wrecker as an antagonist is also pretty odd. I'm still open to see where it's going but we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah, but Waid apparently will still be the writer and I completely trust his writing. It's a chance for him to continue and conclude that storyline with Mephisto.

#519 Posted by Andromeda101 (1429 posts) - - Show Bio
#520 Edited by Andromeda101 (1429 posts) - - Show Bio

@whatisthisdarnthing: @jrupert1: @wastelandman: I recently found more of discarded designs for Dormammu in the MCU and frankly, they're quite good:

I still wonder why Derrickson even picked that terrible purpled-smoke form, really.

#521 Posted by WastelandMan (8855 posts) - - Show Bio
#522 Edited by Andromeda101 (1429 posts) - - Show Bio
#523 Posted by Andromeda101 (1429 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman:@jrupert1@whatisthisdarnthing: Here are the solicitations of December, gentlemen!

DR. STRANGE#1

Mark Waid (W) • Kev Walker (A)

Cover by Phil Noto

Variant Cover by INHYUK LEE

Hidden Gem Wraparound Variant Cover by Frank Miller

VARIANT COVER BY SKOTTIE YOUNG

VARIANT COVER BY GERARDO ZAFFINO

The impossible has happened! Doctor Strange’s hands have been healed, restoring his surgical skills - but now he’s being torn between his obligations as the Sorcerer Supreme and as a neurosurgeon. And when he’s forced to choose which vows to uphold, who suffers most for it? After all, magic always has a cost…Be here for a brand new era of magic…and horror from Mark Waid (HISTORY OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE) and Kev Walker (BLACK PANTHER)!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VALKYRIE: JANE FOSTER#6

No Caption Provided

Al Ewing & JASON AARON (W) • Pere Pérez (A) • Cover by MAHMUD ASRAR

2020 VARIANT COVER BY DAVID NAKAYAMA

VENOM ISLAND VARIANT COVER BY ANNA RUD

HEROES OF MEDICINE UNITE!

But are they all about to become doctors to the dead?! Doctor Strange, Night Nurse, Cardiac, Faiza Hussain and more join forces with Jane Foster for a supernatural medical emergency that will give you heart palpitations!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAGNIFICENT MS. MARVEL#10

No Caption Provided

SALADIN AHMED (W) • MINKYU JUNG (A)

Cover by EDUARD PETROVICH

While Doctor Strange tries desperately to save the life of Kamala’s father, Kamala is forced to abandon her tragedy-stricken family to thwart Mr. Hyde’s rampage through Jersey City. With her new suit, she may just have the power to stop him…but does that power come with a cost?

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

SAVAGE AVENGERS#8

No Caption Provided

GERRY DUGGAN (W) • PATCH ZIRCHER (A) • Cover by VALERIO GIANGIORDANO

Conan hates wizards, but this holiday he has to deal with both Dr. Strange & Dr. Doom. Ho-ho-holy $@#%!

Can these three set aside their differences to deal with Kulan Gath, the name on the top of their naughty list?

32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99

SWORD MASTER#6

No Caption Provided

SHUIZHU, GREG PAK & FONDA LEE (W) • GUNJI & ARIO ANINDITO (A)

Cover by GUNJI

STRANGE DAYS!

When you run around the Marvel Universe with a big magic sword, you have to expect you’ll eventually get a visit from the Sorcerer Supreme. It’s time for tea and terror with Doctor Strange! Meanwhile, in our second story, co-written by Greg Pak and World Fantasy Award winner Fonda Lee, Shang-Chi and Lin Lie learn the true secrets of the dragon son of Ares!

40 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

#524 Posted by Andromeda101 (1429 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll give it a chance to this new "Surgeon Supreme" title, I trust Waid and Kev Walker is up there with Jesus Saiz in terms of art-skill. As for his other appearances, I don't want Gerry Duggan anywhere close to him again, but I'm more interested at the moment in knowing what timeline that story from Sword Master takes place in since Strange seems to be using his same attire from LDoM.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.