✫The Doctor Strange Discussion Thread☥

Avatar image for deactivated-5c522ab96172e
#1 Edited by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

"I think it was about time for a thread focusing only on our favorite sorcerer and a place where his fans can discuss/post news about him, their personal opinion about his comics and make their own reviews if they wish to. So with no further delay...The Master of the Mystic Arts, Protector of the Earth-Dimension, The Champion of the Great Vishanti":

Stephen Vincent Strange! Earth's Sorcerer Supreme!

No Caption Provided

====================================================

#2 Posted by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman@jrupert1@the_wotan@krleavenger: If you guys know any other users who might be interested, feel free to tag them. Regardless, I'll soon my post my own review of Doctor Strange(2018) Vol.5#5 by Mark Waid/Jesus Saiz and Infinity Wars: Soldier Supreme (2018) #1 by Gerry Duggan/Adam Kubert.

Until then, here are the previews of comics featuring Stephen until the end of this year:

OCTOBER:

DOCTOR STRANGE #6

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

MARK WAID (W) • JAVIER PINA (A)

Cover by KEVIN NOWLAN

Marvel Battle Lines Variant Cover by SUJIN JO

MKXX VARIANT COVER BY TBA

MKXX VIRGIN VARIANT COVER BY TBA

• Doctor Strange returns home to find…DOCTOR STRANGE?!

• Something bizarre happened since Stephen took off into the cosmos — and it doesn’t bode well for him.

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

---------------------------------------------------------------------

INFINITY WARS: SOLDIER SUPREME#2 (of 2)

No Caption Provided

GERRY DUGGAN (W)

ADAM KUBERT (A)

Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI

Trapped outside time in the Dark Dimension since the days of World War II, the Soldier Supreme returns, a mage out of time, to find a world unlike any he has ever known!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

NOVEMBER:

DOCTOR STRANGE #7 & #8

No Caption Provided

MARK WAID (W) • JAVIER PINA (A)

CoverS by KEVIN NOWLAN

ISSUE #7 - UNCANNY X-MEN VARIANT COVER BY JOHN CASSADAY

ISSUE #8 - UNCANNY X-MEN VARIANT COVER BY NICK BRADSHAW

• Stephen Strange is back on Earth, and he knows how to build his own arsenal.

• He’ll need it! His troubles continued growing while he was gone, and while he’s using magic to solve them…

• He’ll need it to fight… himself? It’s Doctor Strange vs. Doctor Strange!

32 PGS. (EACH)/Rated T+ …$3.99 (EACH)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

DOCTOR STRANGE BY MARK WAID VOL. 1: ACROSS THE UNIVERSE TPB

No Caption Provided

Written by MARK WAID

Penciled by JESUS SAIZ & JAVIER PINA

Cover by JESUS SAIZ

Earth’s Sorcerer Supreme goes intergalactic! When Stephen Strange loses his mastery of the mystic arts, Tony Stark offers a 21st-century solution: search for new magic in outer space! Bizarre new spells, allies and enemies await Strange beyond the stars, as he uncovers corners and secrets of the Marvel Universe never before witnessed! But he’s a little out of his element traveling the galaxy — and it shows! Doctor Strange soon finds himself the prisoner of a hostile civilization. Powerless, friendless and far from home, can he convince an alien stranger that he’s worth saving? Plus, with Infinity Wars on the horizon, Strange and a new companion face the Super-Skrull, wielder of the Time Stone! But where will Strange head next on his interplanetary power trip? And what shocking surprise is waiting for him back on Earth? Collecting DOCTOR STRANGE (2018) #1-5.

112 PGS./Rated T+ …$15.99

DECEMBER:

DOCTOR STRANGE: DEFENDERS #1

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

GERRY DUGGAN (W) • GREG SMALLWOOD (A)

Cover by RON GARNEY

Variant Cover by CHRISTIAN WARD

VARIANT COVER BY MIKE MCKONE

REMASTERED VARIANT COVER BY STEVE DITKO

VARIANT COVER BY SKOTTIE YOUNG

“THE BEST DEFENSE” PART THREE!

• In a desolate, barren landscape, the Master of the Mystic Arts fights what may well prove to be his final battle—alone, unaided, friendless…

• Except…what’s in that bag that Stephen Strange is carrying with him?

40 PGS./one-shot /Rated T+ …$4.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------

DOCTOR STRANGE #9

No Caption Provided

MARK WAID (W) • JESÚS SAIZ (A/C)

FANTASTIC FOUR VILLAINS VARIANT COVER BY MARKO DJURDJEVIC

THE DOCTOR IS IN!

• Doctor Strange is back on Earth and back in the Sanctum Sanctorum!

• But a villain from his past is back, threatening Greenwich Village and the Sanctum in a way Strange has never been threatened before.

• Only one more issue until #400, and Mark Waid and Jesús Saiz are setting the dominoes up for a huge 400th issue celebration.

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

#3 Posted by KrleAvenger (26178 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101: Thanks for the tag. I think @king-ragnar might be interested in this too, since he told me he started reading Doctor Strange (if you're not, sorry for bothering you). Frankly I am surprised that nobody made this thread already. Although for the record, is it relevant to discussing stuff from other eras? Because I'm not reading anything ongoing.

#4 Posted by del_torro (3793 posts) - - Show Bio

So what's up with the two Doctors? Any theories? I kind of hope they return the Dr Strange that Aaron wrote to be like an impostor or doppelganger or a clone or a piece of his soul that was left on earth while the real strange was in space, or something

#5 Edited by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@krleavenger said:

Thanks for the tag. I think @king-ragnar might be interested in this too, since he told me he started reading Doctor Strange (if you're not, sorry for bothering you). Frankly I am surprised that nobody made this thread already. Although for the record, is it relevant to discussing stuff from other eras? Because I'm not reading anything ongoing.

Of course! Any discussion, theories, question and things alike about Stephen are welcomed.

@del_torro said:

So what's up with the two Doctors? Any theories? I kind of hope they return the Dr Strange that Aaron wrote to be like an impostor or doppelganger or a clone or a piece of his soul that was left on earth while the real strange was in space, or something

I kinda have two theories. The first one is pretty much what you said, that could be a piece of his soul separated from him when dealing with Mephisto during Damnation. The second is based on the cover from the issue number nine, which shows Space Doctor Strange(Meaning that's the real one while the other is likely the doppelganger), I think it could actually be Baron Mordo posing as him because we haven't seen or know what happened with the character since the Secret Empire event when he took control of the Dark-Force Dome and the Sanctum Sanctorum already.

#6 Posted by KrleAvenger (26178 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Edited by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@krleavenger: Which comics with him are you reading right now? I remembered you once commented that liked a lot Dr. Strange & Dr. Doom: Triumph & Torment IIRC.

Doctor Strange: What Is It That Disturbs You, Stephen? is another cool, classic one-shot if you want to read it as well, friend. It has amazing art, an interesting storyline and some of the craziest showings/feats Strange has even today.

#8 Posted by KrleAvenger (26178 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101:

Which comics with him are you reading right now? I remembered you once commented that liked a lot Dr. Strange & Dr. Doom: Triumph & Torment IIRC.

Currently I'm not reading anything with him. I stopped before finishing Vol. 1, but I'll get back to it eventually. And yeah, I liked that graphic novel and I even reviewed it on the Daily Debater. It's one of the best comics I've read. Although I consider it to be more of a great comic with Doctor Strange rather than a great Doctor Strange story. Because honestly, that was Doom's comic more than anything.

Doctor Strange: What Is It That Disturbs You, Stephen? is another cool, classic one-shot if you want to read it as well, friend. It has amazing art, an interesting storyline and some of the craziest showings/feats Strange has even today.

Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks.

#9 Edited by WastelandMan (8817 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't aware of the Defenders series, those covers are fantastic.

@andromeda101 said:

I kinda have two theories. The first one is pretty much what you said, that could be a piece of his soul separated from him when dealing with Mephisto during Damnation. The second is based on the cover from the issue number nine, which shows Space Doctor Strange(Meaning that's the real one while the other is likely the doppelganger), I think it could actually be Baron Mordo posing as him because we haven't seen or know what happened with the character since the Secret Empire event when he took control of the Dark-Force Dome and the Sanctum Sanctorum already.

I could see it being a part of his soul that he merges with at the end of the arc. If a villain's involved, Mordo impersonating him would probably be too similar to what happened in Marvel Feature #1 where he pretty much did the same but who knows.

#10 Posted by Darth_Nimrod (2800 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool thread idea.

#11 Posted by jrupert1 (1518 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman: Indeed the covers are great.

I'm sure you have kept up on Strange, so what has been your takeaway? I think it has been baby steps but Strange has finally started recovering from Aaron. Or at least the writers are beginning to pan out what they intend to do with him. Almost like they admit that the character as he used to be is gone and are trying to find a way to bring some of it back. His upcoming Defenders series really gives that vibe.

#12 Posted by WastelandMan (8817 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrupert1 said:

@wastelandman: Indeed the covers are great.

I'm sure you have kept up on Strange, so what has been your takeaway? I think it has been baby steps but Strange has finally started recovering from Aaron. Or at least the writers are beginning to pan out what they intend to do with him. Almost like they admit that the character as he used to be is gone and are trying to find a way to bring some of it back. His upcoming Defenders series really gives that vibe.

The current run has definitely been a big improvement over Aaron's run. The dialogue isn't nearly as cringey and the stories are more consistent in quality (also Kanna >>>>>> Zelma as a supporting character). I'm looking forward to his Defenders series but I was hoping for the Midnight Sons to come back especially with that tease at the end of Damnation which is apparently going nowhere lol

#13 Edited by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@krleavenger: Currently I'm not reading anything with him. I stopped before finishing Vol. 1, but I'll get back to it eventually. And yeah, I liked that graphic novel and I even reviewed it on the Daily Debater. It's one of the best comics I've read. Although I consider it to be more of a great comic with Doctor Strange rather than a great Doctor Strange story. Because honestly, that was Doom's comic more than anything.

I see, well, I can always give you some suggestions of comics featuring Strange as the protagonist or as a deuteragonist in the figure that are arguably as good as Triumph and Torment if you want to. Did you like what you read from the first volume though? If I'm not mistaken, it's from Doctor Strange(1968)#169 to183.

@wastelandman: I could see it being a part of his soul that he merges with at the end of the arc. If a villain's involved, Mordo impersonating him would probably be too similar to what happened in Marvel Feature #1 where he pretty much did the same but who knows.

Hmmm, now that you mentioned, yeah. Like, even small-time villains such as Charles Benton/Asmodeus have also pretended to be Strange back in Doctor Strange#177. The soul-theory might be the best and not so overused one so far.

The current run has definitely been a big improvement over Aaron's run. The dialogue isn't nearly as cringey and the stories are more consistent in quality (also Kanna >>>>>> Zelma as a supporting character). I'm looking forward to his Defenders series but I was hoping for the Midnight Sons to come back especially with that tease at the end of Damnation which is apparently going nowhere lol

Indeed, albeit the "Doctor Strange Lost In Space" concept isn't nothing new and was actually explored many times, Waid is making the run an enjoyable read nonetheless. Also, Kanna is really so superior to Zelma as a supporting character that I don't think I'll dislike if they make her a romantic interest as well(Only temporary until Clea returns though, lol). The Midnight Sons coming back would be difficult, but if Marvel wants to please more the 80s/90s fans and explore that dark side of their universe, they'll need to do something with them eventually.

@jrupert1 said:

Indeed the covers are great.

It seems Stephen stopped with that self-loathing from Aaron's run, which is honestly a good thing since I couldn't stand anymore the same person who withstand all sorts of cosmic/magical trials on his life ever doubting again that deserves to be SS. I also like Waid's current take on how magic works.

#14 Posted by KrleAvenger (26178 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101: Yeah you are correct and yes, I liked what I read so far. I appreciate it but considering the fact that I plan on reading all Doctor Strange comics, I don't think it's necessary to recommend them because I will get into them and read them anyway, eventually.

#15 Posted by WastelandMan (8817 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101: @jrupert1:

Did you guys read the new issue? That reveal was infinitely better that I thought it was going to be lol I can't believe that arc is finally being picked up,

#16 Edited by jrupert1 (1518 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman said:

@andromeda101: @jrupert1:

Did you guys read the new issue? That reveal was infinitely better that I thought it was going to be lol I can't believe that arc is finally being picked up,

Agreed, and I guess you could say The Doctor Is In. More shocked that they seem to actually be working towards closure to a previous Strange story than the twist (aside from the "who") being what it was.

#17 Edited by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman said:

I did and goddammit it...I never expected Waid to not only bring fricking Casey back in such a twist, but to continue that storyline from years ago. I respect him much more as a writer now and I heard after this arc is over, he's bringing ANOTHER classic character back too.

Besides, I'm already sensing some sweet good feats for Stephen from now on. Heh.

#18 Posted by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

And poor Baroshtok. Only had one appearance in the comics after all this time and appears dead in the second, lol:

No Caption Provided

#19 Edited by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@del_torro: @darth_nimrod: @wastelandman: @jrupert1: Two more comics were revealed featuring Stephen for January of the next year.

DOCTOR STRANGE #10:

MARK WAID (W) • Jesús SAIZ, CHRIS BACHALO, KEVIN NOWLAN & MORE! (A)

Cover by JESUS SAIZ

VARIANT COVER BY JOE QUESADA

B&W VARIANT COVER BY JOE QUESADA

HIDDEN GEM VARIANT COVER BY FRANK MILLER

B&W HIDDEN GEM VARIANT COVER BY FRANK MILLER

VARIANT COVER BY TBA

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VARIANT COVER BY TBA

DOCTOR STRANGE HITS HIS MILESTONE 400TH ISSUE!

Creative team Mark Waid and Jesus Saiz are joined by some of the best DOCTOR STRANGE artists of all time to tell a monumentally strange tale! Someone has been working in the background since the first issue, chipping away at Doctor Strange and other magicians, undercutting and depleting their magic, and the other shoe finally drops. Does Strange stand a chance against someone who can take his magic away with the snap of their fingers?

48 PGS./Rated T+ …$5.99

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOON GIRL AND DEVIL DINOSAUR #39

No Caption Provided

BRANDON MONTCLARE (W)

NATACHA BUSTOS (a/C)

“BAD DREAM” CONTINUES!

GUEST-STARRING DOCTOR STRANGE!

• The sleep of reason produces monsters...

• What monsters lay within the unconscious mind of a 65-million-year-old thunder lizard?

• Worse yet, the mind of a 9-year-old super-genius?!

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

#20 Posted by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone have an idea or a hint of who this enemy that can "take his magic away with the snap of their fingers" may be? Of course, if isn't a completely new character to begin with.

#21 Posted by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, I'm already calling that Strange will be facing Nightmare in that Moon Girl storyline.

#22 Edited by WastelandMan (8817 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101:

Nice. I'm not the biggest fan of the new design but it at least helps distinguish Waid's incarnation of the character. What do you think Casey’s motives are in the current series by the way? Revenge just for Strange not saving her seems too obvious and cliche.

#23 Posted by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman said:

Nice. I'm not the biggest fan of the new design but it at least helps distinguish Waid's incarnation of the character. What do you think Casey’s motives are in the current series by the way? Revenge just for Strange not saving her seems too obvious and cliche.

I'm not sure and I do hope that isn't solely about revenge as well, might be related to the arsenal of mystical weapons that she seems to be building it though. Oh, speaking of which, have you also taken a look at the new What If comic featuring Magik and Strange? It's scheduled to come out in a few days and is about Illyana becoming the Sorcerer Supreme, not a very original plot, but the art strongly resembles Dr. Strange & Dr. Doom: Triumph & Torment and some of Stephen's old comics. Here's the full preview for the public:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7Gallery image 8

#24 Posted by WastelandMan (8817 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101:

I noticed its release but wasn't too interested at first but the art does look great. Have you read it yet?

#25 Posted by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman said:

I noticed its release but wasn't too interested at first but the art does look great. Have you read it yet?

I did, a bit sad that isn't canon. Stephen's personality there was more accurate than everything Aaron did in his entire run, lol.

#26 Posted by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrupert1: @wastelandman: Btw, what'd you guys think of this reimagination of Dormammu? I've found it here on the Vine and thought that gave him a more Darkseid-looking and feels:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4

There's also the design for Doctor Strange from the Square Enix toyline:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4

What your thoughts on both re-designs?

#27 Edited by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

There are also these redesigns by an artist on Tumblr, she even explained her reasons/artistic decisions.

Longtime P:R readers know Jemma Salume. She won our Black Canary Canary on the Catwalk contestand did a great Collection of would-be Sorcerers Supreme in the Marvel U. Now she returns to the mystical arts to bring a new fashion sense to Doctor Strange’s most potent foes — and a special image at the end! These pieces will have you saying, “By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!” – Chris A.

No Caption Provided

Dormammu & Umar

Jemma: I can’t read about Dormammu and his sister Umar’s history as Faltines without seeing parallels with real mythology – Namely the Islamic concept of a Djinn and the story of the fall of Iblis/Shaitan. For that reason, I pulled the majority of their design influence from pre-Islamic Middle-East (with a dash of a shout-out to Guy Davis’ second Black Flame from BPRD for flavor). Umar is in a psuedo-Egyptian garb, with a collar and crown fit for a queen, and Dormammu is in disintegrating armor, most of the cloth and flesh of his upper body burned away by his own fiery power. With an army of Mindless Ones at their command, only Doctor Strange stands between our universe and their all-consuming ambitions!

No Caption Provided

Shuma-Gorath

Jemma: Marvel’s Lovecraftian horror! Well, one of them. Doctor Strange was willing to kill the Ancient One to prevent this guy’s manifestation on Earth, so any redesign has to underscore visually how much of a threat to our realm he really is. Making him too huge to exist is a start, and I went further by basing him on a crown-of-thorns starfish, with deadly spikes on his back and creepy tube feet adorning his horrible tentacle arms. The single hateful bloody eye stays, of course.

No Caption Provided

Satannish

Jemma: My favorite thing about Doctor Strange’s rogues gallery is that there’s really nobody whose abilities rely on physical prowess. Most of what we see of these jerks is an illusion anyway – What need do they have for huge muscles? There’s other ways to look like you’re going to mess someone up, and Satannish served as my proof of concept. I tried to build him like a hateful, emaciated old man, stretching his face to resemble something from one of those old etchings of Satan or Ba’al, and worked to up the creepy factor on that face in his torso. The guy’s in the biz of stealing souls – and while having your soul stolen is bad enough, you really don’t want to be the one he gives to his second maw to gnaw on. Naturally, he is still on fire, because demons on fire is awesome.

No Caption Provided

Nightmare

Jemma: Nightmare is a fantastic concept. Humans brush against the borders of his realm every time they close their eyes, maybe even wander in a little and wake up screaming, drenched in a cold sweat… And once in a while, someone gets pulled in so far it’s up to the Sorcerer Supreme to get them out! It’s like a tug-of-war with people’s sanity. But man. Demon horse? Green longjohns? I’ve seen scarier in videogames. This new Nightmare’s taken design cues from medieval kings by way of Slenderman, with ghostly little servants running around his feet, perhaps shades of the people who fell into his grasp long before there was a Sorcerer Supreme to save them.

No Caption Provided

Baron Mordo

Jemma: A classic – Baron Mordo! The cockiest and cruelest of the Ancient One’s students, I kitted him out in a variation on an Eastern European military dress uniform to reflect his noble Transylvanian background. His eyes have been darkened by his alliances with shadowy powers, and his sleeves bear the burning eye of his earliest benefactor, Shuma-Gorath. He doesn’t need swords, really, but I gave him some anyway – He strikes me as the kind of guy who, despite his imposing mystical power, would derive a lot of satisfaction from personally cutting Doctor Strange to shreds. Sans magic.

No Caption Provided

#28 Posted by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrupert1: @wastelandman: Have you guys read the latest issue? Waid is really turning out to be the best Doctor Strange writer since the series from 2015 and this issue proves that. I knew Mordo was involved! Kanna also seems to be Strange's new love interest after all.

#29 Posted by jrupert1 (1518 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101:Yeah, I have really been liking him so far. And I think him being involved was something we all suspected. Not sure how I feel about the direction they're going with Kanna but she is infinitely better than Zelma.

Also, those redesigns are great.

#30 Edited by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrupert1: Still though, having Mordo kill a being like Baroshtok was an insane feat. Even more to Stephen since he's probably going to fight and defeat Karl in the next issue going by the newly released cover:

No Caption Provided

Yeah, I'm also not sure how I feel about Stephen having a relationship with Kanna, but as long as doesn't become something permanent then I think there's no problem. Speaking of which, what do you think Mordo is truly planning by having Casey go after all those mystical items?

#31 Edited by jrupert1 (1518 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101: Yeah it's refreshing to have a good string of feats now, and it's not like they're out of left field.

As for what Mordo is doing. That's hard to say because while some things are predictable there have been some surprises. But I have a feeling it's him working on something big in order to undo something that has been done. Or he's working for/with someone and maybe trying to bring them there. Regardless he'll have his own agenda, but I don't think it's something as basic as collecting power to defeat Strange.

#32 Edited by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrupert1: Indeed, I'm just worried about Stephen's appearances outside of his solo books since most writers don't seem to have him as impressive or powerful as Waid does. I mean, Aaron was and is considerably good with the power-levels(At least regarding Strange), but his writing overall is just terrible as can be seen when introduced Zelma.

Maybe Mordo wants the title of SS or re-write history to make as if Stephen was never chosen by the Ancient One? As you said, it's hard to know and I'm hoping to be something big. One thing I'm sure of though, Waid is proving himself a great writer by bringing back old enemies and creating new characters.

#33 Posted by WastelandMan (8817 posts) - - Show Bio

Have you guys read the latest issue? Waid is really turning out to be the best Doctor Strange writer since the series from 2015 and this issue proves that. I knew Mordo was involved! Kanna also seems to be Strange's new love interest after all.

I wasn't expecting Mordo at all, Waid did really good job at setting up the reveals in the arc and really honors previous storylines. Mordo Killing Baroshtok after Kanna's statements implying he was at least near Hell-Lord level is insane. Maybe there's more context behind it but I'll guess we'll see next issue.

Those redesigns are great by the way. I wouldn't want them to be their new official looks but I'd love to see it as an art style for a series.

@jrupert1 said:

Yeah, I have really been liking him so far. And I think him being involved was something we all suspected. Not sure how I feel about the direction they're going with Kanna but she is infinitely better than Zelma.

Also, those redesigns are great.

Kanna's getting some good development as a character but the story never really developed a romantic relationship with Strange so it seems pretty forced. I don't know how permanent it'll be because I think Waid set up that instance of Strange lying and mind wiping her so that she can find out later on somehow to cause some drama.

#34 Posted by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman: I wasn't expecting Mordo at all, Waid did really good job at setting up the reveals in the arc and really honors previous storylines. Mordo Killing Baroshtok after Kanna's statements implying he was at least near Hell-Lord level is insane. Maybe there's more context behind it but I'll guess we'll see next issue.

Those redesigns are great by the way. I wouldn't want them to be their new official looks but I'd love to see it as an art style for a series.

Yeah, I hope Waid stays as the main writer for quite a time or at least when Marvel decides it's time to change for another person, that isn't back to Cates/Aaron. The feat was indeed ridiculous(In a good sense), plus after this story-arc is over, Stephen is even going up against a being that can take away his magic with a snap of fingers, so it's good to see we're getting a more respectable power-level for the characters.

Speaking of art-style, I think Frazer Irving would be perfect for the job. Sure, his last work in a Doctor Strange comic sucked, but the guy's art gave more a "mystical vibe" than any other so far.

#35 Posted by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman: Kanna's getting some good development as a character but the story never really developed a romantic relationship with Strange so it seems pretty forced. I don't know how permanent it'll be because I think Waid set up that instance of Strange lying and mind wiping her so that she can find out later on somehow to cause some drama.

Let's be frank though, it's still way better than if Waid started to push Zelma for the romantic-role like Aaron and Cates did. Do I like the idea of Kanna and Strange getting together as things stand right now? No, but we should be thankful that things are progressing. At least Kanna wasn't created just for the sake of "diversity", for example.

Avatar image for mylittlefascist
#36 Posted by MyLittleFascist (31796 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman: I wasn't expecting Mordo at all, Waid did really good job at setting up the reveals in the arc and really honors previous storylines. Mordo Killing Baroshtok after Kanna's statements implying he was at least near Hell-Lord level is insane. Maybe there's more context behind it but I'll guess we'll see next issue.

Yeah, I hope Waid stays as the main writer for quite a time or at least when Marvel decides it's time to change for another person, that isn't back to Cates/Aaron. The feat was indeed ridiculous(In a good sense), plus after this story-arc is over, Stephen is even going up against a being that can take away his magic with a snap of fingers, so it's good to see we're getting a more respectable power-level for the characters.

Speaking of art-style, I think Frazer Irving would be perfect for the job. Sure, his last work in a Doctor Strange comic sucked, but the guy's art gave more a "mystical vibe" than any other so far.

Hmm... I mean he did a good job with Magik, but this shit is just scarring:

No Caption Provided

#37 Edited by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@mylittlefascist: And that's exactly what I meant by "he did a terrible job last time". His artwork in one of the previous comics(Doctor Strange Vol.4#17) was decent though:

#38 Posted by WastelandMan (8817 posts) - - Show Bio

YES I loved Frazer minus that one instance with Spider-Man already brought up. It really wasn't his fault though. Honestly I have no idea why they chose his art style for a comic that was supposed to be silly, it was ridiculous lol

@wastelandman: Kanna's getting some good development as a character but the story never really developed a romantic relationship with Strange so it seems pretty forced. I don't know how permanent it'll be because I think Waid set up that instance of Strange lying and mind wiping her so that she can find out later on somehow to cause some drama.

Let's be frank though, it's still way better than if Waid started to push Zelma for the romantic-role like Aaron and Cates did. Do I like the idea of Kanna and Strange getting together as things stand right now? No, but we should be thankful that things are progressing. At least Kanna wasn't created just for the sake of "diversity", for example.

I think Kanna is a great character for the series, especially after last issue, and I'd have no problem with her becoming Strange's romantic interest. That was just a minor issue I had, overall the run has been great.

#39 Edited by WastelandMan (8817 posts) - - Show Bio
Thought it relevant to honor Strange's co-creator here. RIP Stan Lee. May the Vishanti bless him.
Thought it relevant to honor Strange's co-creator here. RIP Stan Lee. May the Vishanti bless him.

#40 Posted by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman: YES I loved Frazer minus that one instance with Spider-Man already brought up. It really wasn't his fault though. Honestly I have no idea why they chose his art style for a comic that was supposed to be silly, it was ridiculous lol

Indeed, like this panel...This is some dope shit I would expect from a good horror comic featuring Strange:

No Caption Provided

Absolute terrifying, I wish they stayed with him as the main artist. Besides, Irving's art does give the exact feels for a storyline centered in magic and mysticism. It's just take a look at his other works:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7

Of course, as you said, it needs to be under a good writer and in a storyline which fits the atmosphere of his style.

I think Kanna is a great character for the series, especially after last issue, and I'd have no problem with her becoming Strange's romantic interest. That was just a minor issue I had, overall the run has been great.

I see, fair enough. Still, who knows at this point though? Maybe we can actually get Clea back under Waid in the future. :P

#41 Edited by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman: Thought it relevant to honor Strange's co-creator here. RIP Stan Lee. May the Vishanti bless him.

Yeah, those were some pretty harsh news. Thinking about it, even panels from non-canon storylines like this now bring a sad atmosphere/sensation...

No Caption Provided

If wasn't for Stan, all the lore that surrounds Strange and his stories would've never existed in the first place. We could say the true sorcerer was him to have helped create so many characters and mythos.

#42 Edited by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrupert1: @wastelandman: Here's the preview for the new chapter!:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6

A few things we learn there:

1- Mordo really isn't the "true enemy" as he pretty confirmed it, which means someone is likely pulling the strings from the shadows.

2- Casey is way more amped than I originally thought(She even has the fricking Crimson Gem of Cyttorak). If Stephen defeats her while she is wielding all those powerful artifacts, it will definitely be one of his best feats lately.

3- It seems you were right about Kanna, Wastelandman. She seems to start remembering the incident with Super Skrull and this might cause problems in her relationship with Stephen.

#43 Posted by WastelandMan (8817 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrupert1: @wastelandman: Here's the preview for the new chapter!:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6

A few things we learn there:

1- Mordo really isn't the "true enemy" as he pretty confirmed it, which means someone is likely pulling the strings from the shadows.

2- Casey is way more amped than I originally thought(She even has the fricking Crimson Gem of Cyttorak). If Stephen defeats her while she is wielding all those powerful artifacts, it will definitely be one of his best feats lately.

3- It seems you were right about Kanna, Wastelandman. She seems to start remembering the incident with Super Skrull and this might cause problems in her relationship with Stephen.

Kanna learning Strange's secret at the worst possible time lol Any idea who the actual villain of the series is? It's still supposed to be someone from Strephen's past right?

Btw, did you check out Irving's art for Avenger's series? They really just need to get him on a supernatural series already.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

#44 Posted by jrupert1 (1518 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman: I honestly have no idea who the villain would be. I would be pleased if it were someone like Satannish or Chthon. The former being long overdue for a proper return. And the latter being the villain right before the end of SS leaving much more that could have been done, if only he had a series back then to continue it. Plus he popped up around the time of "change" in Strange's life, something that has been happening recently.

That artwork looks tasty, shame it's being wasted on Aaron's Avengers.

#46 Posted by WastelandMan (8817 posts) - - Show Bio

@seriverth: @jrupert1:

Yeah I'm stumped. I don't recall anyone from Strange's past who would have that outline except when Rintrah disguised himself as Olive Hardy. Only guess is it's a demon or someone else in disguise making that outline.

Yeah, he shouldn't be wasting his potential under someone like Aaron. Lol.

I tried giving the series a shot, mostly because Strange was in it, but the plots are so shitty. I'm glad they had Strange leave the team early on.

#47 Posted by jrupert1 (1518 posts) - - Show Bio

@wastelandman: Perhaps Yandroth in a suit and hat? lol I don't know, none of his signature villains really look like that. But it does give off a vibe of a guise a demon would wear, especially with the briefcase.

#50 Posted by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrupert1: @wastelandman: Now that I'm back in my main account, here are the solicitations/previews featuring Stephen for February of 2019:

DOCTOR STRANGE #11:

No Caption Provided

MARK WAID (W) • Jesús SAIZ (A/C)

• After the incredible #400, Doc is finally face to face with the man who controls Earth’s magic!

• What chance does Strange have against a foe who can literally turn Strange’s spells off?!

48 PGS./Rated T+ …$5.99

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOON GIRL AND DEVIL DINOSAUR #40:

No Caption Provided

BRANDON MONTCLARE (W)

NATACHA BUSTOS (a/C)

CAUGHT BETWEEN WORLDS!

As Moon Girl and Devil traverse the Dreamscape, all is revealed about their host, Bad Dream...and he isn’t what you think! GUEST STARRING DOCTOR STRANGE!

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.