Doctor Strange Movie and Magic

#1 Posted by Agent9149 (3627 posts) - - Show Bio

How is Marvel going to explain or talk about Magic in their cinematic Universe. They've spent many times throughout the movies and tv shows that magic doesn't really exist. It can all be explained with science. Even with Thor and Asgard. It's not magic. It's advance Alien Technology. How are they going to introduce magic to magicless world?

Thoughts

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
#3 Posted by ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2 (7566 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent9149: there is magic just the humans view it as science thats why they dont't believe thor when he says you have to be worthy they think theres a scientific reason

#4 Posted by Agent9149 (3627 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicsrulebutdbzdoes2: They don't really make an emphasis that it is magic or that there is magic atleast on earth. So I think it will be intersting how they introduce that the MCU. I know in Agents of Shield, magic always gets ruled out immediately by Fitz and Simmons. I want to see Agent Simmons be speech less at the sight of real magic.

#6 Posted by jrupert1 (1543 posts) - - Show Bio

How is Marvel going to explain or talk about Magic in their cinematic Universe. They've spent many times throughout the movies and tv shows that magic doesn't really exist. It can all be explained with science. Even with Thor and Asgard. It's not magic. It's advance Alien Technology. How are they going to introduce magic to magicless world?

Thoughts

Well in Thor it wasn't exactly explained as just tech. Only that Thor tried explaining to Jane, to help her understand he told her that to them magic and science are the same thing.

It just being tech doesn't explain how Loki can create illusions and use telekinesis while others can't. Or that Thor can create storms and lightning, it's not just his hammer as we have seen him do it without it. Or Odin locking the "worthy" effect on Mjolnir just by speaking. I mean, it can I guess in a way explain how it's done, just not how it's only limited to these individuals.

#7 Posted by GoodBoy6 (463 posts) - - Show Bio

Thoughts

they already explained it throught quantom/phantom bullshit or whatever.Mcu is based on Earth 199999 universe and there is no magic or Gods,only extremely advanced aliens and tech.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
#8 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2452 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a science to magic. If Dr.Strange were to learn all the rules about magic, he'd master the science of magic. The kids in Harry Potter went to school to learn magic from textbooks. The fact that magic is defined by rules means that it becomes a science.

#9 Edited by Cerridwen (263 posts) - - Show Bio

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy said:

There's a science to magic. If Dr.Strange were to learn all the rules about magic, he'd master the science of magic. The kids in Harry Potter went to school to learn magic from textbooks. The fact that magic is defined by rules means that it becomes a science.

Not to some beings( This is mostly to humans).

Guys like Zom, Dormammu, Dweller, Shuma-Gorath and tons of others never had to learn something or even trained, in fact, the Handbooks pretty much tells the difference between a human mage and creatures like that. Which are almost limitless and aren't bound like the others.

#10 Posted by Abishai100 (1744 posts) - - Show Bio

Magician's Mule

If we can find magic in comic books, then we can translate this magic onto the big screen.

Doctor Strange represents an artistic interest in perception kaleidoscopes and consciousness intrigue.

Comic books offer us strange windows into perception surprises.

For example:

"Mandrake the Magician, hero of illusions, offers the villainous Vertigo, sorceress of dizziness, a thought-riddle challenge --- 'Vertigo, since your percussive mental waves create thought turbulence, what if I take an instant-photo of you (with my Polaroid instant camera) in real space while you are propagating your mental waves? Won't I be able to say that I used a simple device to freeze you in imaginary time (or a still-life)?' to which Vertigo responds, 'Art can not defeat my sorcery!' "

Comic books are, by definition, portraits of a suspension of disbelief, so finding cinematic translations of comic book magic simply requires exercises of motivation.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#11 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent9149: probably the same way they explain it to the disbelievers in the comics, i.e. not at all. They've always had people like Reed Richards and Iron Man tossing out the whole "unexplained science" thing since the 60s, while the magic users tend to either be condescending about it or just not care whether or not people believe it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.