Doctor Strange Getting Post-SECRET WARS Series

• 95 results
Posted by inferiorego (25738 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

After the announcement of the new Miles Morales series over the weekend, Marvel fans interested is piqued as to what characters will be getting their own books in the post-SECRET WARS Marvel Universe. It was announced that Doctor Strange, who is getting his own film in 2016, is the next character to get his own book at Marvel. Reported by EW, the team of Jason Aaron (THOR) and Chris Bachalo (UNCANNY X-MEN) will not only be taking this character on but also reinventing him.

Aaron and Marvel Editor Nick Lowe talked about the upcoming book and what fans can expect. Lowe went onto say that while he went back and reread all the old DOCTOR STRANGE book are trippy but live a lot in the head.

"I think what this series does is it lives more in the heart and in the gut. And this is a Doctor Strange who is much more relatable, and way funnier. He’s not Bart Simpson cracking jokes left and right…But he definitely has a sense of humor and is not just there to be a straight man for other heroes to crack jokes."

The series will also be grounded a bit more compared to Strange running off to other dimensions to complete his tasks. Lowe talked a bit more about this:

"usually, when you pick up a Doctor Strange book, he’s going to another dimension to fight something. And like I said, we really wanted to ground this one. And so for this one, this Doctor Strange makes house calls. And like Jason was saying, he embraces the weird…and when something really weird happens to you and no doctor can do anything, the police can’t help you and you don’t know who to turn to, you call Doctor Strange."

Jason Aaron discussed Strange being the Sorcerer Supreme and running with a group of "friends," which we'll see in this series. Strange will have a peer group which he'll be hanging out with in this series, but it will be clear that he's the top guy. The big challenges that they face will be his responsibility.

The new DOCTOR STRANGE will hit stores after SECRET WARS is over.

Here's the official press release:

No Caption Provided

The Sorcerer Supreme returns for his first ongoing series in nearly twenty years! And he’s making house calls! Today, Marvel is pleased to announce DOCTOR STRANGE #1 – a new ongoing series from blockbuster creators Jason Aaron (Star Wars, Thor) and Chris Bachalo (Uncanny X-Men, Avengers)!

Prepare for a side of the Marvel Universe you’ve never seen before as the magical, mystical and all things weird lie at every turn. And if it’s bizarre enough, and you don’t know where to turn – call the Doctor. From inside his Sanctum Sanctorum – the strangest place in this or any universe, the Master of the Mystic Arts protects this realm from the supernatural.

“Get ready for a brand new Doctor Strange for a brand new Marvel Universe,” says Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso. “Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo have rebuilt Marvel’s ’Sorcerer Supreme' from the ground up with an excitingly original take that redefines the character going forward.”

A dark new power is rising. One that will have repercussions for all magic users. The threat is growing, and Strange knows he won’t be powerful enough to stop it. If he is to have any kind of hope, it will take a different kind of Sorcerer Supreme. Because all magic comes with a price, and it’s high time Stephen Strange balanced the scales.

No Caption Provided

“None of Marvel's other heavy hitters walk the same beat as Dr. Strange,” says Jason Aaron in an upcoming interview with Marvel.com. “None of them have to face the same sorts of repercussions whenever they use their powers. Being the Sorcerer Supreme is a unique responsibility. And it's one that Stephen Strange embraces. Even though there's no doubt that his job is one day going to leave him dead, damned or insane. So I want to celebrate all the weirdness that is Dr. Strange, while having him face a challenge unlike anything he's ever faced before. One that rewrites the rulebook for what it means to be the Sorcerer Supreme.”

The epic adventure begins this Fall as the Marvel’s mightiest magician takes a battle axe straight to evil in DOCTOR STRANGE #1!

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Staff
#1 Posted by Saren (27944 posts) - - Show Bio

"I think what this series does is it lives more in the heart and in the gut. And this is a Doctor Strange who is much more relatable, and way funnier. He’s not Bart Simpson cracking jokes left and right…But he definitely has a sense of humor and is not just there to be a straight man for other heroes to crack jokes."

It's just like my favorite movies

#2 Posted by dondave (41760 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh, why Bachalo?

#3 Posted by dan12456 (3006 posts) - - Show Bio

Of the three series announced so far this is the only one I might pick up. Will depend how much money I have left to spend after seeing the other titles.

#4 Posted by DrellAssassin (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

Stoked for this. I'd like to see an ongoing that reflects the tone and storytelling style of The Oath.

#5 Posted by CaptainCyke (138 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: not sure if srs...

I love Bachalo (long time Gen X fan) and love Jason Aaron so I may actually put this on the pull list.

#6 Edited by Asgaard (4573 posts) - - Show Bio

@drellassassin said:

Stoked for this. I'd like to see an ongoing that reflects the tone and storytelling style of The Oath.

Well currently Aaron is more about the shocking value even recently in Star Wars...

#7 Posted by OUTBREAK666 (263 posts) - - Show Bio

Shut up and take my money marvel

#8 Posted by Ruvik_ (1638 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet

#9 Posted by superhoodie (614 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked

#11 Posted by KeepCalm (118 posts) - - Show Bio

Sold

#12 Posted by Sychotic (19 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG two of my favorites! Def be picking this up.

#13 Posted by the_stegman (40418 posts) - - Show Bio

Duh. I'm willing to bet that all Marvel characters that have upcoming movies will be getting ongoings.

#14 Posted by longbowhunter (9425 posts) - - Show Bio

Great creative team. A more grounded take is not where I saw the character headed, but count me in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
#15 Posted by deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3 (12864 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm interested

#16 Posted by sonofodin25 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks pretty cool, and it's been a while since Strange has had his own book.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
#17 Posted by EarthsMightiest (2765 posts) - - Show Bio

The Doctor is in.

Somebody had to say it.

#18 Posted by UltimatePower6 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

Man Jason Aaron is doing some seriously good stuff now a days!!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

Of all the creative teams I had in my head for this series, this is kind of a let down.

#20 Posted by dagmar_merrill (12701 posts) - - Show Bio

Could be interesting.

#21 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I guess they'll do something with him besides having him murder more heroes.

#22 Posted by cerial442 (290 posts) - - Show Bio

Aaron is very hit or miss for me. Of the stuff I've read of his, it starts off strong then loses steam. His first two arcs of Thor God of Thunder were brilliant, but then the book never rose past "pretty good". Same with Wolverine and the X-Men.

His work on Thanos and Hulk were unreadable.

Star Wars has been good so far, but hasn't had a ton of story yet.

So I'm in the camp of "possibly, maybe" for Doctor Strange. I would have liked to have seen Charles Soule on this title. I'm more interested in this than the Bendis announced books.

#23 Posted by Madripoor (1917 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by strangetales (1785 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! Definitely buying.

Although the comment about him not really traveling to other dimensions is a bit of a letdown...

#25 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (1626 posts) - - Show Bio

I always loved Dr Strange, been a fan since the Paul Smith era, and "The Seven Little Superheroes". Sadly..every thing I loved about him, is everything they are changing lol

But I will want to see how this goes

#26 Posted by tensor (8704 posts) - - Show Bio

This should be go.Doctor Strange with some mystic weapons I cannot wait to see what they do.

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
#27 Edited by RaggedScarecrow (1142 posts) - - Show Bio

Very interesting, but I'm waiting for previews before I jump one way or the other thought. I dropped his Wolverine & the X-Men book, but I've been thoroughly enjoying his run on Thor. We'll have to wait and see how this book pans out.

Avatar image for greenlanterndeadpool
#28 Posted by GreenLanternDeadpool (182 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally! I've been waiting for a Doc Strange book since the beginning of Marvel Now.

That being said, I'm a lil' iffy on Jason taking charge. Not that big of a fan of his previous "changes".

#29 Posted by chalkshark (1271 posts) - - Show Bio

This is long overdue. It's been years since Doctor Strange has had an ongoing, monthly series. That's a pretty shoddy way for Marvel to treat a character created by Stan Lee & Steve Ditko. Doctor Strange is probably the absolute last character I would take a "grounded" approach on, but I'm willing to give the creators the benefit of the doubt until the series comes out.

#30 Posted by jaybefre (154 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

Ugh, why Bachalo?

My first thought too... Smh.

#31 Posted by lagozzino (555 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would anyone want a grounded take on an interdimensional wizard? Doctor Strange isn't exactly John Constantine.

#32 Posted by Autopsad (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@lagozzino: There is no more Constantine since Hellblazer met its end.

#33 Posted by Spidey_Jackson (6359 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice.

Beata

#34 Posted by CaptainHoopla (1974 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll definitely read the first issue and go from there.

On a different note, what are the odds that all of the books that were supposed to be revealed in the July 1 comic shop preview book will be announced by online press releases before then?

#35 Posted by Stahlflamme (5879 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure about this grounded not travelling to other dimensions thing. I personally would love to read Strange do that. Well, if the previous look promising I will pick it up.

#36 Posted by strangetales (1785 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would anyone want a grounded take on an interdimensional wizard? Doctor Strange isn't exactly John Constantine.

My thoughts exactly...

it's Doctor Strange though so I will buy it anyway

#37 Posted by SpitfirePanda (2573 posts) - - Show Bio

Magic and fantasy are among my favorite things. I'll definitely check this out!

#38 Posted by kfabz-23 (6135 posts) - - Show Bio

Martian Manhunter check. Dr. Strange check. Now gimmie Shazam.

#39 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (834 posts) - - Show Bio

so is this not 616 Stephen?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
#40 Posted by deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f (5172 posts) - - Show Bio

Good. We going to be have Magic title on marvel. I know that he would have near the movie but the early the better.

@kfabz-23: Maybe in 01/02/03 of 2016.

#41 Posted by butters911 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

Ugh, why Bachalo?

That's funny. Im not really Strange fan, but Bachalo might be enough to get me to try this out.

#42 Posted by Supi (185 posts) - - Show Bio

At last!!It was time for the Doctor to have his own series after sooooo many years(his last ongoing title canceled in 1996 if I remember well....)when Black Widow or Spider woman they had so many times the chance to have their own(even if they canceled more times than Strange...)Jason Aaron will make miracles again and Bachalo is the right artist for this!!I'll definetely pick this one!!At least he will be Stephen Strange and not...Clea!!!

#43 Posted by Owie (7248 posts) - - Show Bio

Always happy for a Dr. Strange ongoing, and Bachalo is great.

But I just don't see this whole warrior thing...the axe, and now a bow? Seems pointless.

#44 Posted by kantrip (307 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm in. He handled Thor amazingly. So I can't wait to see how he handles strange.

#45 Posted by BlueJay2324 (118 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm torn. The creative team sounds amazing. Having a change of pace after his work with the illuminati these past 10ish years makes sense. But for some reason I assumed we'd be getting a more novice strange, something more akin to the Oath. From the concept art it looks like he's going to go a bit more hands on, which is also a surprise, but a welcome one. Maybe we'll get something like Five Ghosts in this story, ie a Strange dealing with ancient artifacts, a lot if travel, and just some fun. Definitely excited to see Bachalo's art, and see him stretch his wings on what could be a beautiful title.

#46 Posted by FIXER22 (68 posts) - - Show Bio

I could never get into DR strange or Thor because for some reason I just hate magic comics. I don't mind film versions, it just translate differently but this seems interesting tho. It's got my attention. I don't mind grounded. I'm not a fan of cosmic stories either, but I love it when they have Green Lantern on Earth.

#47 Posted by RoboShark (2637 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks promising. Can't wait.

#48 Posted by wessaari (752 posts) - - Show Bio

hopefully Magik will be involved, she has been shown to be a possible successor, and she's been teaching her in the past

#49 Posted by n25philly (159 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally, the x-men are free of bachalo's horrible, horrible artwork!!!!!!

#50 Edited by safefruitcake (636 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like magic Doctor Who to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.