9 Things You Should Know From Doctor Strange Teaser

• 51 results
Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Doctor Strange arrives in theaters on November 4, 2016. As part of Phase 3 in Marvel's Cinematic Universe, it appears to be taking a different route compared to the other films and characters. With the first teaser released, there was a lot going on with some possible confusion for those not completely familiar with the comics.

Here's nine things you should know from the trailer.

The Accident

No Caption Provided

This is going to be an origin story. Stephen Strange's name may have been mentioned in Captain America: Winter Soldier, but now we'll get to see his journey in becoming the Sorcerer Supreme.

Strange was a world class surgeon. He was also an egotistical jerk. After getting in a car accident, he was no longer able to perform surgery. This leads him in search of a healer in Tibet known as the Ancient One.

Rachael McAdams' Character

No Caption Provided

Who is Rachel McAdams playing? It was suspected she'd be playing Clea, Doctor Strange's main love interest in the comics. It's been established this isn't the case. Seeing her here, she's either a nurse or fellow surgeon.

In the comics, Strange was involved with Linda Carter, one of characters known as Night Nurse. It's possible McAdams is playing the role of Linda. When superheroes need medical attention after a battle, they can get help with no questions asked. In Netflix's Daredevil, the idea of the Night Nurse was explored with Rosario Dawson's Claire Temple character.

The Ancient One

No Caption Provided

The Ancient One was the Sorcerer Supreme before Doctor Strange.

In the comics, the Ancient One was Stephen Strange's mentor and was born in Tibet more than 500 years ago. The ancient one also taught Baron Mordo, who would later become an enemy of Doctor Strange.

The apparent reason for the race and gender change is the "Ancient One" is a title or mantle that's been passed down.

The Astral Plane

No Caption Provided

The Astral Plane is another level of existence that only gifted psychics can visit. Doctor Strange learns to use an astral projection to travel around. It's been said the Astral Plane is an alternate universe. Strange can communicate to others via the plane but cannot have any physical interaction with others.

Mystery Villain

No Caption Provided

Even though Baron Mordo is in the movie (more on him in a second), Mads Mikkelsen is the big villain here. Who he'll be playing is still a secret. It's clear he won't be playing Dormammu, the ruler of the Dark Dimension, will likely be used in a later Doctor Strange movie. We'll have to wait for more information to find out who Mikkelsen is playing.

A popular theory is he'll be playing the lesser known villain Kaecilius. He is likely a sorcerer who breaks away from the Ancient One to form his own sect after disagreeing with her ways.

Baron Mordo

No Caption Provided

Baron Mordo is another enemy of Doctor Strange. In this movie, it appears he hasn't achieved his full-fledge villain status just yet. In the trailer, we hear actor Chiwetel Ejiofor say, "Forget everything you know." We'll likely see Mordo influenced by Mikkelsen's character and turn down a darker path.

In the comics, Mordo was studying under the Ancient One when Stephen Strange arrived. His plan was to kill the Ancient One to take his place. This lead to Mordo being cast out.

Alternate Dimensions?

No Caption Provided

What's going on with the folding floating cities? It's possible the idea of alternate dimensions will be explored along with the different planes of existence. There are also a couple moments in the trailer where we see Strange in his rich glory as a successful surgeon suddenly change to the ruined version after the accident. These may just be flashbacks, or it could be exploring the different paths Strange's life could have taken.

The official synopsis does reference alternate dimenisons:

"Doctor Strange follows the story of neurosurgeon Doctor Stephen Strange who, after a horrific car accident, discovers the hidden world of magic and alternate dimensions."

Cloak of Levitation

No Caption Provided

Doctor Strange doesn't wear a cape simply as a fashion statement. The mystical cape was given to Strange by the Ancient One after he first defeated Dormammu. Strange can control and summon the cape telepathically. The cape gives him the ability to levitate and fly. It's believed to be centuries old.

Sanctum Sanctorum

No Caption Provided

The Sanctum Sanctorum is Stephen's mansion in Greenwich Village. It's more than a typical residence and serves as a multiversal nexus point. The house also serves as a sanctuary, cloaking those inside to remain hidden by complex spells.

Let us know what you thought of the trailer!

#1 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

Still waiting to make sure this isn't that Thor magic and science are the same BS.

DC didn't run anyway from magic, they happily embraced it with characters like Damien Darhk, Vixen and Constantine. Marvel should too.

#2 Posted by dan12456 (3006 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Daredevil say they were told they couldn't use the "night nurse" name for Claire Temple because the concept was being used elsewhere? If so then Rachel McAdams is most definitely playing MCU night nurse.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@dankhan6 said:

Didn't Daredevil say they were told they couldn't use the "night nurse" name for Claire Temple because the concept was being used elsewhere? If so then Rachel McAdams is most definitely playing MCU night nurse.

Doesn't make sense. Why would the big name MCU superheros need a secret nurse?

#4 Posted by dan12456 (3006 posts) - - Show Bio

@dankhan6 said:

Dunno. Here's an article on it though: http://www.hitfix.com/harpy/daredevil-wasnt-allowed-to-use-this-character-because-marvel-has-other-plans

Apparently was the only thing DeKnight wasn't allowed to use.

#5 Posted by Mfundroid (2916 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks visually beautiful and I hope it's well directed and written. I'm praying that magic is a completely separate concept from science. Magic does not equal science people!

#6 Posted by Mooty_Pass (10076 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm EXCITED to see this Movie.

#7 Posted by JonSmith (4529 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps there's some upcoming crisis or event, maybe a war even, that would cause certain big name heroes to go into hiding/stay out of the spotlight, requiring consistent underground medical assistance once going to a hospital is no longer viable for security reasons.

#8 Posted by ILostTheKey (993 posts) - - Show Bio

@dankhan6 said:

Making her a trusted colleague of Strange makes sense. I think they need it for the same reason the comic counterparts do, especially with Civil War showing up. It's just a matter of trust. They know she won't be handing off blood samples to shady Canadian organizations or introducing micro-sentinels into their bloodstream. The government incessantly pursues ways to produce super soldiers or control heroes or sometimes just arrest them, and having her is a way to circumvent that issue.

Although personally, I would have really appreciated Rachel McAdams more as Clea.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

Perhaps there's some upcoming crisis or event, maybe a war even, that would cause certain big name heroes to go into hiding/stay out of the spotlight, requiring consistent underground medical assistance once going to a hospital is no longer viable for security reasons.

And yet she's not starring in Civil War...

#10 Edited by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Mads is playing Charles Benton/Asmodeus and he sets up the Sons of Satannish. (Most likely changed to Symbols or Disables to remove the gender specific title of the group)

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
#11 Posted by amazing_webhead (9904 posts) - - Show Bio

Still waiting to make sure this isn't that Thor magic and science are the same BS.

DC didn't run anyway from magic, they happily embraced it with characters like Damien Darhk, Vixen and Constantine. Marvel should too.

this^

#12 Posted by eliottsworld (71 posts) - - Show Bio

This trailer definitely did its job for me. I was luke warm on this movie prior to the trailer, but after seeing how this is all going to work, I'm super excited for Doctor Strange on screen.

#13 Posted by warrior100 (2163 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by Ducey13 (396 posts) - - Show Bio

Feige stated long ago that he's excited for the introduction of Magic into the MCU and this is it. No need to wait.

And don't compare TV Shows to movies unless the shows are connected to the films. I'm a fan of ARROW but it didn't embrace magic right away either. It's in its 4th season and has only now embraced it. ARROW didn't even acknowledge SUPER POWERS until Deathstroke in season 2 and then fully in season 3 once the particle accelerator exploded in Central City. ARROW evolved into the show it is now.

#15 Posted by Stahlflamme (5850 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@ducey13 said:
@doc-holiday said:

Feige stated long ago that he's excited for the introduction of Magic into the MCU and this is it. No need to wait.

And don't compare TV Shows to movies unless the shows are connected to the films. I'm a fan of ARROW but it didn't embrace magic right away either. It's in its 4th season and has only now embraced it. ARROW didn't even acknowledge SUPER POWERS until Deathstroke in season 2 and then fully in season 3 once the particle accelerator exploded in Central City. ARROW evolved into the show it is now.

Oh so sorry Master of all things nerd related, I shan't ever compare tv shows or movies again, lest I displease you *bows deeply*

#17 Posted by longbowhunter (9425 posts) - - Show Bio

Crazy excited for this. Can't wait for this and Civil War to rinse the taste of Batman v. Superman out of my mouth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
#18 Posted by deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb (796 posts) - - Show Bio

First, getting a kick out of the "Thor magic" thing considering the comics have done the same thing for years and even Lex Luthor has called magic the "super science".

But onto the trailer.....given his name was already mentioned was hoping they'd take an Ultimate take on the character a bit more and go with this being Steven Strange Jr who had grown up learning magic from his father and the Ancient One but turned his back on it for the conventional world of medicine and surgery. The film is then him being drawn into the current conflict and finally accepting his true place in the world.

Not that I think the film will be bad as an origin story....it looks awesome....just would have been a nice change of pace from the standard origin film, in a sense more like how Thor just threw us into things but was still an "origin" story.

But that is a speck of dust creative difference compared to how good this film looks to be heading

#19 Posted by hiimsmart (84 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by WastelandMan (8818 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if Rachel McAdams is Night Nurse. If she is, it'd be kind of weird because Claire Temple from the MCU is essentially supposed to be Night Nurse.

#21 Posted by Rag_man (1378 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks visually beautiful and I hope it's well directed and written. I'm praying that magic is a completely separate concept from science. Magic does not equal science people!

Why? There is already so many things beyond our understanding here in the real world but are proven to exist in Quantum mechanics, Dark Matter, Quarks, Metaphysics etc that already defy our scientific understanding...Also, alternate realities and other dimensions have already been proven to exist.

#22 Posted by Ducey13 (396 posts) - - Show Bio

@ducey13 said:
@doc-holiday said:

Oh so sorry Master of all things nerd related, I shan't ever compare tv shows or movies again, lest I displease you *bows deeply*

I forgive you. But just this once. *Glares cautiously*

#23 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@ducey13 said:
@doc-holiday said:
@ducey13 said:
@doc-holiday said:

But DC has been better about magic as a brand, they haven't shied from it or attempted to hide it under science as Marvel had which may be in part to the fact that DC has more famous (and possibly just more) magic users with characters like Zatanna, Wonder Woman (her items are magic and her powers technically are too), Black Adam, Captain Marvel, Dr. Fate, Zatarra and Etragan.

Also, DC has far fewer movies that aren't Batman or Superman so not comparing television and film when both are represented by the same brand is foolish and I will continue to compare them

#24 Edited by Owie (7208 posts) - - Show Bio

@dankhan6 said:
@jonny_anonymous said:
@dankhan6 said:

Dunno. Here's an article on it though: http://www.hitfix.com/harpy/daredevil-wasnt-allowed-to-use-this-character-because-marvel-has-other-plans

Apparently was the only thing DeKnight wasn't allowed to use.

Very interesting! Sounds like a definite flag that McAdams is NN then. I had assumed that Claire Temple was going to get the name eventually and they were just pussyfooting around, not wanting to have her get a name too early.

#25 Edited by TheWhiteCrown (237 posts) - - Show Bio

Exactly^

#26 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@thewhitecrown: Apparently the demand for Marvel to recognize magic as magic is growing.

I just know that if I see Dr. Strange and they say "it's magic" and someone says something like "well, it's just science that hasn't been explained" then I am demanding my ticket money back

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9
#27 Posted by deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9 (2599 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand why people are taking Thor's "magic = science ' speech literally.

Like real life, characters are allowed to be wrong / lie / think they are right but are ignorant about truths.

Just because a character says it, doesn't make it so.

Heimdalls powers is quite obviously magic. Odins enchantment is quite obviously magic. Thor's world is filled with magic.

Thor was just trying to dumb down and make Natalie Portmans character relate to the energies they use.

#28 Edited by black_wreath (13557 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm kind of worried for this movie now, my wife is who use as a symbol of the casual audience, she likes instant gratification, uses the movies to sell her what to read (if anything) and likes Wonder Woman (not the universe she inhabits) - I'm not insulting her, quite the opposite - this makes her normal.

She'd never heard of Doctor Strange and also has no patience for surrealism and other niche concepts that don't actually make sense...

My reaction to the teaser: "Sweet!"

Hers: "Looks boring."

They need to make the Marvel logo bigger...

@soaringturkeys said:

I don't understand why people are taking Thor's "magic = science ' speech literally.

Like real life, characters are allowed to be wrong / lie / think they are right but are ignorant about truths.

Just because a character says it, doesn't make it so.

Heimdalls powers is quite obviously magic. Odins enchantment is quite obviously magic. Thor's world is filled with magic.

Thor was just trying to dumb down and make Natalie Portmans character relate to the energies they use.

Yes thank you! He just told Jane in a way she'd accept it. You can't just call it science then give no explanation or even a hint on how it works.

Thor even found it amusing the other Avengers trying to apply science to how Mjolnir works stating the explanation was simple. Magic...

They already do magic!

#29 Posted by TheWhiteCrown (237 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_wreath: Tell that to "soulforge" which is really just an the advanced computer/quantum field generator. That's advanced tech not magic. If Asgard has both great, but again they haven't show any "real" magic (unless the shape of the world and Loki's telekinesis counts).

#30 Posted by black_wreath (13557 posts) - - Show Bio

@thewhitecrown: Odin takes away Thor's powers with a few words, Mjolnir controls the weather, Loki and Frigga create illusions on their own etc. these things aren't scientifically explained nor should they be. Thor is a fantasy title.

Avatar image for marthamanhunter
#31 Posted by MarthaManhunter (40 posts) - - Show Bio

Are people really still taking Thor's definition of magic as 100% indisputable fact?

That wasn't Marvel telling the audience "This is what you have to believe", that was Thor mansplaining in terms that he thought Jane's stupid girl brain could comprehend.

Why are you guys STILL harping on this?

#32 Posted by SlymPeter (25 posts) - - Show Bio

No surprise in this peeled teaser.

But you all miss the orb on the last pic or what?

#33 Posted by AkshSarpanch (3573 posts) - - Show Bio

Just do mess up with this movie.

Disney already had enough damage to Marvel making it kids and non serious.

#34 Posted by VioletPhoenix (380 posts) - - Show Bio

Missed these posts Comicvine <3 more please

#35 Posted by Rubear (4651 posts) - - Show Bio

@marthamanhunter: By the way, about Thor. What this earthlings are allowing themselves?)

No Caption Provided
#36 Posted by Farkam (12057 posts) - - Show Bio

Just do mess up with this movie.

Disney already had enough damage to Marvel making it kids and non serious.

Shut up.

#37 Posted by NukeA6 (914 posts) - - Show Bio

WTF, that's the Ancient One? Holy shit Disney, how did you mess that one up?

#38 Edited by TheWhiteCrown (237 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_wreath: See that's the issue, there has never been a clarification. What if Mjolnir isn't really magic, but a unique form of alien technology, just like everything else. In AoS Lady Sif called Lorelei's ensnarement, sorcery. There are no spells (verbal or non-verbal), rituals, gestures, or energy manipulations, just a potent emission of pheromones. She's a mutant Asgardian not a Magician. The Force (Star Wars) is more magical than anything ever presented in the Thor movies, and we know that it (The Force) isn't really magic.

#39 Posted by Ducey13 (396 posts) - - Show Bio

@ducey13 said:
@doc-holiday said:
@ducey13 said:
@doc-holiday said:

But DC has been better about magic as a brand, they haven't shied from it or attempted to hide it under science as Marvel had which may be in part to the fact that DC has more famous (and possibly just more) magic users with characters like Zatanna, Wonder Woman (her items are magic and her powers technically are too), Black Adam, Captain Marvel, Dr. Fate, Zatarra and Etragan.

Also, DC has far fewer movies that aren't Batman or Superman so not comparing television and film when both are represented by the same brand is foolish and I will continue to compare them

Alright. Compare if you like, but I don't think comparing CW DC TV shows to Marvel Movies is a fair comparison.

Maybe DC TV shows haven't explained their magic as a type of unknown science, but they didn't embrace it right away either. Like I said before they didn't introduce it till season 4 of ARROW, but they did eventually work their way up to it. ARROW tried to channel the Nolan movies by removing comic book elements like magic, super powers, resurrections, ect. ARROW didn't want to be a comic book show. It wanted to be a show that just featured a comic character in a real world type setting. There wasn't a ton of science fiction involved at first. One reason I like the Flash so much is it has embraced the comicbookness and doesn't shy away from things like time travel and alternate realities. Marvel has now worked their way up to magic, just like ARROW eventually did.

Marvel has plenty great Magic Characters as well and I think we're going to start seeing more of them in the future along with Supernatural characters.

#40 Posted by Deoxys1982 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Im most excited for this movie although marvel is going to loose steam after a while it would be nice to see shuma on screen lol

#41 Posted by Deoxys1982 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

@thewhitecrown: so Thor's hammer isnt magic ok well theres that how is marvel having trouble embracing magic when they have a shit ton of magic Characters such as Ghost Rider, Magik, Pixie etc

#42 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@ducey13 said:
@doc-holiday said:
@ducey13 said:
@doc-holiday said:
@ducey13 said:
@doc-holiday said:

Alright. Compare if you like, but I don't think comparing CW DC TV shows to Marvel Movies is a fair comparison.

Maybe DC TV shows haven't explained their magic as a type of unknown science, but they didn't embrace it right away either. Like I said before they didn't introduce it till season 4 of ARROW, but they did eventually work their way up to it. ARROW tried to channel the Nolan movies by removing comic book elements like magic, super powers, resurrections, ect. ARROW didn't want to be a comic book show. It wanted to be a show that just featured a comic character in a real world type setting. There wasn't a ton of science fiction involved at first. One reason I like the Flash so much is it has embraced the comicbookness and doesn't shy away from things like time travel and alternate realities. Marvel has now worked their way up to magic, just like ARROW eventually did.

Marvel has plenty great Magic Characters as well and I think we're going to start seeing more of them in the future along with Supernatural characters.

I agree on the Arrow point but I think they could only run the 'real world hero' kind of show for so long and they needed to introduce super-science and powers.

Which they did around season 2

#43 Posted by DRUDOX19 (246 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not digging the whole inception, multi-dimensional travel aspect of this movie cause it really isn't magic it's science fiction at this point.

#44 Posted by batarang614 (188 posts) - - Show Bio

weird how they whitewashed the ancient one. and no wong? is marvel just committed to not introducing any Asian characters or something?

#45 Posted by hyiena (5373 posts) - - Show Bio

@batarang614: It's either take them out and whitewash or leave them in and be racist there really is no way to win.

#46 Posted by batarang614 (188 posts) - - Show Bio

@hyiena: they can't write an asian character without turning them into a stereotype? i just dont buy that at all

#47 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7207 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really excited for Dr. Strange alongside Black Panther it's a really anticipated film.

#48 Posted by Burnstar1230 (232 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Mads character will be Kaluu, The Ancient One's friend, who pretty much introduced him (or her in this case) to magic, but tried to conquer the world or something like that. He ends up in another dimension for a few centuries and attempts to return to earth to steal the Book of Vishanti, but was stopped by the new Sorceror Supreme, Doctor Strange. The story may be rough, but I believe that's who he is.

Avatar image for allaboutmarvels
#49 Posted by allaboutmarvels (41 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the trailer I don't mind what they did with the ancient one cause honestly it is just a title plus I feel it's a good thing that it is an origin story so that way people can know the character such as none comic book readers people who just watch movies

#50 Posted by NeonGameWave (19333 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie is my number one comic book movie for this year. I hope it's a sleeper hit as much as it is a surprise, I think the magic theory and theology this time around will take the form of a type of mystery and it will go into the unknown/unexplained territory or type of storytelling in contrast to what we saw in the first Thor movie and also in contrast to what Kevin Feige had said up until this point. The movie could also go the dimensional route where Strange and all the other magicians are drawing their powers from multiple dimensions.

I hope the movie does introduce magic but calls it something else that isn't science but the main synopsis does explicitly say magic which is a good thing, I think it would cheapen the character in regards to him using not using magic considering Doctor Strange is the Sorcerer Supreme and I want this movie to go all out which is what Scott Derrickson and Kevin Keige promised. It will be an "acid trip" for sure and I'm looking forward to it, with a all-star cast, all-around talented director and also amazing writers I'm expecting this movie to be astounding even more so than Civil War was. Also for the simple fact that Kevin Feige's passion project turned priority for a couple of years up until now, has been Doctor Strange.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.