Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9430 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Will Dick Grayson ever receive a happy ending?

Gospel_Truth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I noticed that out of all original Titans, only Dick and Lilith never truly settled down. The others all got married at least once. Obviously Dick almost got there, first with Kory and then with Babs and obviously, if he ever is to settle down it's most likely one of those two (as he has with both in different earths).

Honestly, with all that has happened pre-N52, I'd say both Kory and Babs deserve better (don't hate me for saying that, I personally ship Dickkory) because sticking to a guy who can't seem to settle down for so long is just not worth it especially for two amazing characters as them. But with the new timeline lots of things didn't happen (did Starfire even ever join the Teen Titans? How did she have a relationship with Dick when the original Teen Titan members couldn't even remember a team as theirs ever existed?) so I guess it gives space for them to rebuild everyone's future a bit and maybe this time, Dick will receive his happily ever after.

I really wish he would get one, and won't have to live the way Bruce has been. I just hope they'll do that without making characters revolve solely around a relationship (really hated how they made it seem like Kory is unable to move on while Dick had already with multiple people pre-N52).

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are right that Dick does seem to always get the unhappy relationship ending. Same goes for his history - Bludhaven (destroyed - maybe reconned back into existence), police officer, owner of a circus, independently wealthy, exposed secret identity and super spy. All of these things have all been forgotten. Even the primary villain of his first Nightwing series, Blockbuster was killed off before issue 100. One of the longest running characters in DC history doesn't have a consistent story line that lasts more than a couple of years.

I wonder if the constantly changing and rebooting of Nightwing's story doesn't have something to do with his connection to Batman. Batman is DCs main character and they can't have have the original Robin getting married and having kids without Batman becoming more of a grandpa figure. It seems like writers keep going in conflicting directions because they don't want Dick to get to far away from Batman.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is not like the marriage of the other Titans were that happy (maybe with exception of Wally). In all the other cases it usually ended with a dead partner and kids.

Btw. if you consider convergence Tie ins as canon, the Earth One Dick married Kory and the post crisis Dick married Barbara. (OK in this case Roy got also Lian back which would also be a happy end).

Appart from Wally, Superman (ok and probably some of the Golden Age JSA guys) is actually the only DC hero who got his happy end (at least sofar). Even the marriage of Green Arrow and Black Canary didn't last.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I noticed that out of all original Titans, only Dick and Lilith never truly settled down. The others all got married at least once. Obviously Dick almost got there, first with Kory and then with Babs and obviously, if he ever is to settle down it's most likely one of those two (as he has with both in different earths).

Honestly, with all that has happened pre-N52, I'd say both Kory and Babs deserve better (don't hate me for saying that, I personally ship Dickkory) because sticking to a guy who can't seem to settle down for so long is just not worth it especially for two amazing characters as them. But with the new timeline lots of things didn't happen (did Starfire even ever join the Teen Titans? How did she have a relationship with Dick when the original Teen Titan members couldn't even remember a team as theirs ever existed?) so I guess it gives space for them to rebuild everyone's future a bit and maybe this time, Dick will receive his happily ever after.

I really wish he would get one, and won't have to live the way Bruce has been. I just hope they'll do that without making characters revolve solely around a relationship (really hated how they made it seem like Kory is unable to move on while Dick had already with multiple people pre-N52).

How does that make sense as a conclusion though? Because Dick attempted to marry both of them, so it's not like he had something against the idea. He was all for it and it went wrong. With Barbara we never even got an explanation as to why the marriage never happened. After OYL it was just not a thing anymore.

Agreed on him never really settling down like that though, but in the grand scheme, as Aahz pointed out above, it's not like things really went well for anyone else either. Personally, I attribute Dick not being allowed to settle down to the Batman effect. None of the characters in that family are ever happy for long it seems.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I attribute Dick not being allowed to settle down to the Batman effect. None of the characters in that family are ever happy for long it seems.

I think the reasons are more that DC usually wants the characters to stay the same (or to go at least back to the iconic status quo) therefore such big chances of a characters status are rare. And the other reason is probably that they don't want to make Batman look to old, i Dick suddenly marries and and gets children you had Bruce suddenly be a grand parent.

I think the big reason that Wally was more or less the only Titan who became a big name hero and got a family was that Barry wasn't around.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz said:
    @nathaniel_christopher said:

Personally, I attribute Dick not being allowed to settle down to the Batman effect. None of the characters in that family are ever happy for long it seems.

I think the reasons are more that DC usually wants the characters to stay the same (or to go at least back to the iconic status quo) therefore such big chances of a characters status are rare. And the other reason is probably that they don't want to make Batman look to old, i Dick suddenly marries and and gets children you had Bruce suddenly be a grand parent.

I think the big reason that Wally was more or less the only Titan who became a big name hero and got a family was that Barry wasn't around.

All of them apply.

Gospel_Truth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gospel_truth said:

How does that make sense as a conclusion though? Because Dick attempted to marry both of them, so it's not like he had something against the idea. He was all for it and it went wrong. With Barbara we never even got an explanation as to why the marriage never happened. After OYL it was just not a thing anymore.

Agreed on him never really settling down like that though, but in the grand scheme, as Aahz pointed out above, it's not like things really went well for anyone else either. Personally, I attribute Dick not being allowed to settle down to the Batman effect. None of the characters in that family are ever happy for long it seems.

You're right, I worded it wrong.

I'm aware that the others ended up with dead partners/children, but they all took the step of settling down (except Roy but still, he had children, and Lilith) while it seems like the writers will never let Dick take such a big step in his life -- I think it's kind of sad that Dick's relation to Batman cuts off possibilities in his life and possible character growth. However, all of that is not something to be bothered by for the current universe since he's still in his early twenties.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By OrangeBat

@gospel_truth said:

Quick question: Why is marriage and settling down considered "a happy ending"?

Modern marriage in real life certainly isn't, it's mostly inconvenient hell. It was hell for all of Dick Grayson's team mates. And what are we gonna end up with? Clark and Lois, where Lois bitches at Clark for every minor thing? Or Reed and Sue, where they barely behave like husband and wife half the time? Or Peter and Mary Jane, which is just 90% MJ fretting about where he's been and what happened to him?

Maybe Dickie just doesn't want all that hassle.

Full123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, don't be so sad,Grayson, my Dick never receives a happy ending either.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Modern marriage in real life certainly isn't, it's mostly inconvenient hell. It was hell for all of Dick Grayson's team mates. And what are we gonna end up with? Clark and Lois, where Lois bitches at Clark for every minor thing? Or Reed and Sue, where they barely behave like husband and wife half the time? Or Peter and Mary Jane, which is just 90% MJ fretting about where he's been and what happened to him?

Disagree with this, in regards to Wally West. His marriage with Linda Park was generally portrayed as a happy one. They had hard times, such as the death of their child, an incident which would understandably put strain on any marriage, but the marriage was definitely displayed as far more good than bad for the two of them. I'd actually say they were one of the best marriages we've ever seen in comics. Donna Troy, however, i'd completely agree with. That was probably a bad idea from the start, seeing as Donna was like 18 and he was a professor at the school she was teaching at.

BJParks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BJParks

@gospel_truth said:

In real life, marriage doesn't have to be inconvenient hell, if the husband and wife are mature, committed, and actually in love with each other. Comic marriages are often portrayed as problematic because a) real marriages have problems, but they can be worked through with love and commitment, but b) many writers feel it ages their characters or limits their marketing.

Btw, I think the examples of Clark & Lois and Peter & MJ are a tad exaggerated. Sure, Lois and MJ both worry (because who wouldn't?), but they also support their husbands because they love them.

nightwingism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Dick would ever get married on the basis that it'd be kind of out-of-character for him at this point.

Like, if the Starfire and Barbara marriage didn't go through the first time, I don't see anyone else he'd pop the question to. You know? And at this point in the comics, most of his relationships are still being rebuilt, so he isn't as close to those two as he was before

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher said:

@orangebat said:

Disagree with this, in regards to Wally West. His marriage with Linda Park was generally portrayed as a happy one. They had hard times, such as the death of their child, an incident which would understandably put strain on any marriage, but the marriage was definitely displayed as far more good than bad for the two of them. I'd actually say they were one of the best marriages we've ever seen in comics. Donna Troy, however, i'd completely agree with. That was probably a bad idea from the start, seeing as Donna was like 18 and he was a professor at the school she was teaching at.

Donna Troy and Terry Long's marriage was hilariously awful. Terry Long already came off as a creepy old man which was bad enough, but then you realize that he is Marv Wolfman's self-insert character and it just becomes 100 times the "NOPE!" factor.

@bjparks said:
    @orangebat said:

@gospel_truth said:

In real life, marriage doesn't have to be inconvenient hell, if the husband and wife are mature, committed, and actually in love with each other. Comic marriages are often portrayed as problematic because a) real marriages have problems, but they can be worked through with love and commitment, but b) many writers feel it ages their characters or limits their marketing.

Btw, I think the examples of Clark & Lois and Peter & MJ are a tad exaggerated. Sure, Lois and MJ both worry (because who wouldn't?), but they also support their husbands because they love them.

Well, that sure explains why divorce statistics are through the roof, and why less and less people are wanting to get married. When you realize that it's really just an institution designed to provide an optimum environment to raise kids, and raising kids is rough business, marriage is really rather pointless for Dick, unless you want him to have kids.

I wish Clark/Lois was exaggerated, but almost 70% of the Pre-Flashpoint Superman period was nothing but Lois being an absolutely horrible wife to Clark. Peter/Mary Jane is somewhat exaggerated, but MJ's character did take a rather sudden 180 once she and Peter got married.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.