Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9479 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Off My Mind: Dick Grayson Gives Up Being Batman & Returns to Nightwing

• 161 results
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Osiris1428
    @Ruudi9 said:
    That's his new costume? Anyone else think it looks familiar? >
    No Caption Provided
    And Red Robin is biting The Flacon style. Come at me bro.
    mbembet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By mbembet

because it's ridiculous to have two Batmen in the first place. at least the other Batmen have different codename :P

Ruudi9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Ruudi9
    @Osiris1428 said:
    @Ruudi9 said:
    No Caption Provided
    What does that even mean? Plus, who is The Flacon? 
    To be honest, I thought Dick taking over the cowl to be as good an idea as Bucky taking over the shield - character progression is a good thing, but no, we can't have that, it's a freaking groundhog day return to the status quo because us readers can't handle anything outside of the eternity bubble can we? <sarcasm>
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Osiris1428
    @Ruudi9 said:
    @Osiris1428 said:
    @Ruudi9 said:
    No Caption Provided
    What does that even mean? Plus, who is The Flacon? To be honest, I thought Dick taking over the cowl to be as good an idea as Bucky taking over the shield - character progression is a good thing, but no, we can't have that, it's a freaking groundhog day return to the status quo because us readers can't handle anything outside of the eternity bubble can we? <sarcasm>
    You don't know who The Falcon is and you know who Captain America is? Come now.
    Ruudi9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Ruudi9
    @Osiris1428 said:
    @Ruudi9 said:
    @Osiris1428 said:
    @Ruudi9 said:
    No Caption Provided
    What does that even mean? Plus, who is The Flacon? To be honest, I thought Dick taking over the cowl to be as good an idea as Bucky taking over the shield - character progression is a good thing, but no, we can't have that, it's a freaking groundhog day return to the status quo because us readers can't handle anything outside of the eternity bubble can we? <sarcasm>
    You don't know who The Falcon is and you know who Captain America is? Come now.
    Of course I know who The Falcon is.
    Mr.Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 24

#106  Edited By Mr.Q
    the idea of Nightwing was to step out of the Bat's shadow. to be himself. his own man. Nightwing isn't some go between mantle between Robin or Batman. it's Dick. if he returned to being Robin yes thats back in the Bat's shadow. becoming the Bat is even worse. Nightwing is his own Id. an Id he forged for himself. I hate hand me down heroes. when a sidekick or an unrelated character takes the mantle of another. you can carry on some one's legacy with out compromising your own. it's the fight thats important not the clothes worn so why not wear your own. hate the red though between Jason and Tim the former proteges of the Bat are starting to look more and more alike..... in short Dick is better off as Nightwing it's going forward.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#107  Edited By jakob187

First off, I'm sure that Sara is just giddy about this announcement. I, however, am saddened.

Back when you interviewed Scott Snyder about Detective Comics and such, Snyder made it sound like there was a LOT of storytelling to do with Dick, leading me (and I'm sure many others) to believe that Dick was going to be Batman for a long while. Hell, the idea of Batman Inc. and the relationship that Dick was building up with Damian seemed to all point to "Dick will be Batman for a long while".

This feels like it is absolutely abrupt as hell and will probably feel rushed in the comics somehow. Sure, it could end up being some aftermath effect of Flashpoint or something, who knows? Still, with all the legal issues surrounding Superman and whether he'll be changed up, maybe DC is thinking that having Dick as Nightwing would give them something to fall back on in case something similar happens with Batman.

The change could also have something to do with the release of The Dark Knight Rises next year. If you release a big blockbuster movie like that, then people show up at the comic store to finally start reading Batman only to find out that Bruce Wayne isn't Batman? That could be problematic for DC, especially with Warner Bros. breathing down their neck about comic sales.

Moreover, is it just me, or does it feel like DC was finally getting it right with Dick being Batman? Yes, he was a different Batman, but Snyder's work on Detective Comics really felt like the direction things needed to go. It's incredibly sad that DC was FINALLY willing to add some freshness to a long-stale character like Batman...and now they are ripping the capabilities of writers to be creative and interesting with that switch-up. I'm sure that someone will try to have this new approach with Bruce, as Morrison seemed to be writing him with a new approach...but it will quickly devolve back to the "hey, I'm a broody old man still crying about his parent's death and I'm still going to fight The Joker and I'm still going to fight The Penguin and I'm still going to never have a real relationship and I'm still going to have Alfred babysitting me all the time".

It's a damn shame that Dick won't be Batman anymore, but it definitely doesn't have the feeling of Dick just giving up the mantle. It has the feeling of "DC wants to be safe instead of taking risks". They may not be in a place to take the risks, sure...but the last couple of years have been daring and brilliant.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#108  Edited By jakob187

First off, I'm sure that Sara is just giddy about this announcement. I, however, am saddened.

Back when you interviewed Scott Snyder about Detective Comics and such, Snyder made it sound like there was a LOT of storytelling to do with Dick, leading me (and I'm sure many others) to believe that Dick was going to be Batman for a long while. Hell, the idea of Batman Inc. and the relationship that Dick was building up with Damian seemed to all point to "Dick will be Batman for a long while".

This feels like it is absolutely abrupt as hell and will probably feel rushed in the comics somehow. Sure, it could end up being some aftermath effect of Flashpoint or something, who knows? Still, with all the legal issues surrounding Superman and whether he'll be changed up, maybe DC is thinking that having Dick as Nightwing would give them something to fall back on in case something similar happens with Batman.

The change could also have something to do with the release of The Dark Knight Rises next year. If you release a big blockbuster movie like that, then people show up at the comic store to finally start reading Batman only to find out that Bruce Wayne isn't Batman? That could be problematic for DC, especially with Warner Bros. breathing down their neck about comic sales.

Moreover, is it just me, or does it feel like DC was finally getting it right with Dick being Batman? Yes, he was a different Batman, but Snyder's work on Detective Comics really felt like the direction things needed to go. It's incredibly sad that DC was FINALLY willing to add some freshness to a long-stale character like Batman...and now they are ripping the capabilities of writers to be creative and interesting with that switch-up. I'm sure that someone will try to have this new approach with Bruce, as Morrison seemed to be writing him with a new approach...but it will quickly devolve back to the "hey, I'm a broody old man still crying about his parent's death and I'm still going to fight The Joker and I'm still going to fight The Penguin and I'm still going to never have a real relationship and I'm still going to have Alfred babysitting me all the time".

It's a damn shame that Dick won't be Batman anymore, but it definitely doesn't have the feeling of Dick just giving up the mantle. It has the feeling of "DC wants to be safe instead of taking risks". They may not be in a place to take the risks, sure...but the last couple of years have been daring and brilliant.

sa5m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#109  Edited By sa5m

Glad to see him back I like the blue better

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#110  Edited By Mercy_

GOOD

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#111  Edited By Primmaster64
    @nobodythere said:
    Not happy about him returning to Nightwing, feels like a step backward for the character. Was nice to see him evolve.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#112  Edited By danhimself

it's definitely not a step back....Nightwing is his superhero identity...he was only operating as Batman because Gotham needed him to and then because Bruce wanted him to....Dick as Batman feels like he's wearing someone else's clothes not like he moved up

Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

@Out_of_Space:  same here but they should make a new dsign for his costume though
    gerredboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By gerredboy

Dick being Nightwing is not a step back at all. I feel it was a step back for him to work with Bruce again. He was never really Batman but more of a substitute. I think returning to Nightwing is something good. Gotham has enough people in it and more than one batman is just a little to much. Nightwing is as different from Batman as Bruce is from Dick and I'm happy to see him giving up the bat costume.

Avatar image for mistersarcastic
    mistersarcastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By mistersarcastic

I wonder...if whatever it was that influenced him to revert back to Nightwing is also going to cause him to be more...ruthless? And while we're discussing the relaunch of DC what's happening Jason Todd now that he's out of Arkham? 

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By daak1212

Dick is becoming Nightwing again because of a terrible reboot

Phoenix_Pulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Phoenix_Pulse

I'm glad he is going back to being Nightwing.  I never liked the idea of him being Batman.

BruceW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#118  Edited By BruceW
     @Phoenix_Pulse: THANK YOU!
    Wolverine0628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#119  Edited By Wolverine0628

I love this.  I've never quite liked Dick as Batman; I've always preferred just Bruce.  I'm a little disappointed that Cassandra Cain can't be Nightwing, but I still like Dick being Nightwing again.  I really like the red, too.  It seems to show that Dick has grown up, and his eyes have been opened a little more.
    cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#120  Edited By cascadeking09
    @daak1212 said:
    Dick is becoming Nightwing again because of a terrible reboot
    QFT
    IronHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#121  Edited By IronHerc

This is wrong, sure its nice for many older followers of dick grayson to get back their nitghtwing, but still feels wrong....Dick Grayson turning into batman was the thing that made me get into comics as i used to rarely buy issues of spider-man when i was a kid, learning that many of the characters I've grew up with with their Tv series and movies evolve in the world of comics was the thing that made me interested in them. Dick Grayson turning into a dark knight is the ultimate level a robin or any other DC non-powered hero could ever reach. I love his solo adventures as well as with his own robin who i still believe is stupid to even think they can put damien with Bruce as his sidekick when we have seen it doesn't work at all. I will buy this new series i tell you that, but if batman inc is in a halt....it means there is still a chance to see my favorite DC character back into the cowl where he is supposed to be now. Sorry but this is a enormous step back and also ruined my realized dream of seeing nightwing turning into batman

bunkerbuster05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By bunkerbuster05

What a shame. I've really enjoyed Dick as Batman.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#123  Edited By Mbecks14

I'm so excited to see him as Nightwing again!!!

Nightwing23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#124  Edited By Nightwing23

Is that his new costume?? It looks like the Renegade outfit he wore before.  

Sad, I like him as Batman since the Prodigal story arc.  

But Nightwing still works for me.
    Captainthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Captainthunder

They do need to redesign his outfit and mask. 
     I think a black and white outfit would be cool with a all white outfit similar to mark millers nemisis

No Caption Provided
    with a Black and white Grifter mask.

No Caption Provided
    Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#126  Edited By Rudyftw

I think this is awesome. I never really liked Dick AT ALL as Batman. Bruce Wayne IS Batman. 

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First thing ppl have to realise is right now the topbrass over at DC havent quite got a CLUE what theyre meanta be doing with Bats: Theyre tryin to reconcile the Ultimate vision of Morrison with the new wholesale direction theyre lookin to take the dark knight in &make it a cohesive whole at the same time..this means streamlining..lots and lots of streamlining  

I loved Grayson as Batman.. I loved the internal struggle under the weight of the cowl..&the ACTUAL PHYSICAL struggle under the cape &suit which really seemed to give him some teething problems lol.. these are all things that stood out in enhancing the differences between the two men &while it somehow made him seem inferior &even weaker..really it just enhanced his sense of character while highlighting what  weve all known all along, theyre TWO COMLETELY DIFFERENT MEN.. Grayson is and will always be a natural leader athlete/all terrain-acrobat/gymnast/tactile martial artist..in ways Bruce could never imagine but Bruce is a LOT smarter, calculated, tougher both physically &dare I say it mentally &he's also more of a physical beast than Grayson prescence wise (Gordon noticed straight away)... For Me THIS is what makes Batman Batman.. Bruce makes Batman 

&To even ATTEMPT to step in &fill his boots effectively &for as long as he did, when Superman couldnt even last a day.. Speaks volumes on his character.. So I guess what Im saying is NO I dont look at Nightwing as a "second tier" guy.. Espesh not with the experience hes comin off this run with  (plus havin more accumulative field time than ANY Justice Leaguer bar-none) &his own unique method/otlook make him a sigificant hero in his OWN right &therefore NOT a stepdown 

Welcome back Nightwing, we salute You.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Adnan

I didn't like Dick as Batman, but only because he always felt like Nightwing in a different suit. His interactions with other characters (particularly Damian) were interesting though, it would've been nice to see how it would've developed given the time. I am kinda glad he's taking up the Nightwing mantle again though, even if the new costume is a little iffy.

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AtraCruor: Here here!!
    Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Chane

The Nightwing cover makes him look like he's in X-Force.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#132  Edited By Billy Batson

not complaining

BB

jamdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By jamdown

look sweet exciting awsome fun time

Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#134  Edited By Silver Knight75

I for one am glad he is back as Nightwing. 

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#135  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Be Wingnut again Dick. HA!

Avatar image for timdrakeredrobin
    TimDrakeRedRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chane said:
    The Nightwing cover makes him look like he's in X-Force.

That was my first thought too xP i like that he is going back but i still think his outfit should be based on blue, not red. i think it makes sense for him to return and i always thought he would. now i just want to see more descriptive explainations for Tim
    Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am the only one happy that Dick, dont need Batman to be a character?
    He and Jason evolved and becomed his own man, bieng Batman mean living at the shadow of Bruce.
    Bruce never wanted Jason,Tim or Jason used the batman suit, he wanted to save them from get into something like him.
    When Dick start using the suit, it was bad for Bruce, Dick, heck was even bad for Jason.
    It means they will never live thier own lifes, even if Bruce die and never gets back.

lionellaflare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By lionellaflare

LOVE it, no more confusion when I try drawing these guys now..
    But he needs to go back to blue, Red's not his thing. That's Jason's thing.

kevin88wk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By kevin88wk
    @lionellaflare: and tim's to 
    Grifter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Grifter21

I'm happy he's Nightwing again, he should have never been Batman unless Bruce is gone for good. Him becoming Nightwing was his character defining aging moment and he took over as Bat's in the early 90's to a meh effect. But why the hell is he RED?!!!!!!!!

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#141  Edited By Deadcool
    @Grifter21

Because RED > blue
    Avatar image for grandmaster_fro
    Grandmaster_Fro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Grandmaster_Fro

It's a shame. I liked Dick as Batman

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

I'm sad to see him no longer be Batman, but I think this could be good, I'm just curious how well Kyle Higgins can write him.

insanepayne6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By insanepayne6

Wonderman? 

allison_scag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By allison_scag

Ah I liked his version of batman more than Bruce. It seems like writers are to scarred to take risk these days and try something new for the long hall. They keep reverting back to the same old formula it seems, which kind of makes me feel a bit sad about it.

timetostart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By timetostart

Costume looks awesome I'll admit to that. But I don't like the fact that he is Nightwing from being Batman. I mean he was one of two people to take on the cowl and now with the revamp it sounds like he's just going to throw it away like it's nothing as well as I also enjoyed his version of batman because he. 
    Despite the look of the costume I don't like the fact that Dick looks like he is in his early thirties. After seeing this I feel like that the persona of Nightwing for Dick should be like in his teen years or his twenties, but not this. The Batman suit looks good at any age though but I digress. 
     In short I just don't like the concept 

Avatar image for playdohsrepublic
    playdohsrepublic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@G-man 
    Roy Harper went from Speedy to Arsenal to Red Arrow to Arsenal again... " followed by
    "You don't often see a character revert back to their younger identity?"  

I'm just saying, if you are trying claim that something is a rare occurence you shouldn't use an example of it as part of your argument that it DOESN'T happen. It's not like Dick is going back to Robin. Nightwing was his late teens, early adulthood, and unique, identity. 

Backlash88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Backlash88

Not sure why DC would change Dick's logo colour from Blue to Red.  The Black and Blue scheme works well for Nightwing and is a good contrast to Tim's Black and Red colour scheme.   

Now Dick and Tim both wear Black and Red.  Not enough of a contrast between the two since we'll be seeing them together in Batman Inc. 
    Deep_Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Deep_Six

Play on the Batman Beyond theme, but keep the domino mask.
    Deep_Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Deep_Six
    @Backlash88
    Yeah I hate to see the blue go. Doesn't help that Tim has access to gliders, and all Dick gets for his revamp troubles are fins. Doesn't quite live up to his name :l

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.