Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9430 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Nightwing/Oracle preview pics

oompers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A decent summary of their time together. Looks like they left out the engagement (guess they didn't want to address that breakup), as well as that OTHER scene from THAT annual.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By youknowwhattodo

I enjoyed the issue, I thought that Gail Simone did a nice job handling the situation regarding the dome. The art was fantastic, especially compared to some of the other Convergence titles. Dick Grayson's Nightwing costume got a nice redesign, it's Nolanized but isn't too busy, one of my favorite designs of the costume.

What I loved most about this issue was the characters, Dick, Barbara (narration boxes done right), Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Kori (putting an end to the ship wars herself), even Katar and Shayera were all portrayed very well. In the case of the latter two, it was because they weren't mindless killers like most of the Flashpoint characters.

While I haven't been impressed with Gail Simone's work in the new 52, but when she really puts effort into her writing, you can get some great stuff. The only things that I didn't like about this issue were mostly nitpicks with some plot-holes, like where it fit in the pre-Flashpoint continuity, and while I like seeing the omnipotent Oracle, I was a little put off by her seemingly manipulating Dick by lying about taking on the Thangarians. Mind you, I've only read this issue twice and I probably missed something or Gail might explain the reasoning behind that next issue, but that's not a good omen for the potential marriage if Barbara is already manipulating Dick.

oompers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oompers

The Hawks "had eyes everywhere" and were listening to everything they say, so she couldn't communicate directly to Dick.

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I find the issue quite fine, though after reading Grayson for so long, this did leave somewhat of bad taste on my mouth and I didn't enjoy it like I wanted too.

Particularly how Barbara manipulates Dick. He's just as capable as Batman. Why does she feel the need to do so with him in the first place? Does she really think that lowly of him? I really hate when he's written to be easily manipulated by people. He's not that stupid at this point. I also hate it when it's his Bat Allies doing that. They oughta know much better at this point. They should be having an equal partnership. Plus, I didn't like how he proposed again and she no again. =___= She better change her mind or something cause this goose chase has gone on long enough IMO!

Other then that gripe right there, in which bothers me since this is 75th Anniversary and month and I'm basically starting it by reading a easily manipulable Nightwing by someone he loves unconditionally (AGAIN), I think the overall issue was fine but I like a lot of other Convergence books better.

oompers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oompers

She wasn't manipulating him, though. She couldn't say anything to him, because the Hawks were watching their every move. And the whole point about her saying no was because she was starting to lose it living under the dome. She starts to change her mind once the dome opens up.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't really been into convergence, but I'll check this out.

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oompers said:

She wasn't manipulating him, though. She couldn't say anything to him, because the Hawks were watching their every move. And the whole point about her saying no was because she was starting to lose it living under the dome. She starts to change her mind once the dome opens up.

I don't see it. She fights these people ten minutes before they show up and she couldn't give Dick a heads up something is gonna come instead of randomly keeping him in the dark? It really doesn't make sense and is unnecessary. And makes her look like she has no hope in front of his face. Why? It doesn't really make sense either. And that was after they came. It just comes off as unnecessary. She just needed to say "be ready. somethings gonna come" really. She could be vague enough If needed at least.

I hope it's just that dome thing and her mind just being stressed. I really wanted to see this pairing hitch off finally for once in a somewhat canon format since it's been built up there. Maybe they'll do it at the end. And I want them to also be equal partners and actually in comic treat them like so because sometimes with Nightwing, they don't.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By youknowwhattodo

@oompers said:

The Hawks "had eyes everywhere" and were listening to everything they say, so she couldn't communicate directly to Dick.

I understand that the Thangarians had eyes/ears everywhere but Barbara also said that she invented the technique and was fighting against them before they even showed up. If Gotham is indeed "her" city and she has this omnipotent prescence about what goes on in it, along with her knowledge of the technique the Hawks are using to spy on Gotham, she easily could have found a way to let Dick in on her plan a little. Barbara could have used code words that only Dick would understand, that way Gail Simone can still show that Barbara is one step ahead of the Thangarians despite her physical disability. At the very least not leave him so dejected at the end by not only rejecting his marriage proposal but leaving him under the impression that she can't fight the Thangarians and he would have to take them on himself. Did she not let him in on any of it because she didn't have the techonolgical know-how or did she just want to one up Grayson or did she just not trust him?

This wouldn't bother me so much if the whole two-part series wasn't going to end in a potential marriage between Dick and Babs. However, it likely will end with them getting married so the last few pages didn't paint the relationship in the healthiest light. After all, Dick Grayson was trying his best to keep Barbara happy and sane throughout the Dome crisis and she rewards his effort by spurning his proposal and lying to him. In many ways, it's reminiscent of how Dick and Babs are in the new 52, except this will probably end with Dick shrugging off Barbara's deceit despite how hurt he was from it and they'll get married.

Contrary to what that lengthy complaint might imply, I enjoyed this book.

@jayaaerow said:

I find the issue quite fine, though after reading Grayson for so long, this did leave somewhat of bad taste on my mouth and I didn't enjoy it like I wanted too.

Particularly how Barbara manipulates Dick. He's just as capable as Batman. Why does she feel the need to do so with him in the first place? Does she really think that lowly of him? I really hate when he's written to be easily manipulated by people. He's not that stupid at this point. I also hate it when it's his Bat Allies doing that. They oughta know much better at this point. They should be having an equal partnership. Plus, I didn't like how he proposed again and she no again. =___= She better change her mind or something cause this goose chase has gone on long enough IMO!

Other then that gripe right there, in which bothers me since this is 75th Anniversary and month and I'm basically starting it by reading a easily manipulable Nightwing by someone he loves unconditionally (AGAIN), I think the overall issue was fine but I like a lot of other Convergence books better.

I do agree with the notion that if I had a choice between Nightwing/Oracle and Grayson #9, I'd choose the latter every-time, can't say the same if the new-52 Nightwing series was still going on.

I also agree with your criticism of the story but that seems to be how a lot of Barbara Gordon's relationships have gone recently where her friends or romantic partners offer her support and love and she returns it by either yelling at them, being indecisive about her feelings or in this case lying to them.

However, I still think this is one of the better Convergence books, though maybe it's because I had bad luck choosing because the Batman & Robin was rather pointless and Batgirl had awkard dialogue that hampered the characterization and poor art. Though apparently in Convergence#1 Earth-2 Dick made out with a redhead and punched Batman.

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo:

Lol I was on the Nightwing board so my mind was trying to fit that. I forgot to mention I do hate how New 52 has made her mean against people she suppose to love and care for. Romantic or not. She might have her complications but New 52 has done it too much. I don't like that. I love Babs. Oracle and Batgirl! That's why it got me too. My entire feeling on that is a rant I'm not willing to write.

With this, I hope it's just plot and it all works out in the end in one way or another. After all, it is ONLY issue one and thank god that this problem only comes up towards the end with plenty of ways of being fixed.

I just hope It does work out, it's all cool, and that this is the good relationship I remember. I've missed their dynamic. Dick himself has lost so much dynamics with character cause they were given to other character. I'm wanting some to go back and be fun once again.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Words really can't express how much I love Dick and Kori together, not just even as a couple, but similar to Dick and Donnr Troy, just as close friends who shared something special and who have each changed each other for the better.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nightwing/Oracle serves only to reinforce my belief that Gail Simone has no business handling my favorite character. Seriously if I see NW clubbed to the back of the head or take another knee next issue I'm tossing that badboy in the shredder along with all my remaining credit cards. I'm not paying $4.00 for this dogsh1t! If she wanted to write a fanfic about Oracle taking place in convergence, she may as well have cut the A-Side(Dick Grayson) loose and merely spun it into a tale about Babs and used Commmissioner Gordon as her retarded middle man instead.

Whenever people ask me why I never ship these two, I'll direct their attention here. The two-part series will perfectly echo my sentiments. >_>

Gail Simone wants so badly to tease DickxBabs pairing when the truth is, we've already seen this movie about a dozen times already. Oracle piggybacks off of Nightwing's strong presence in what can best be explained as a parasitic relationship. While she sits high and mighty on her 4-wheeled throne analyzing the battlefield unscathed, our boy get the brakes beaten off him. Babs pleads for the villainess to ceasefire knowing full well her punching bag-ahem-boyfriend is simply a means to an end. Meanwhile little known to Nightwing, there's a bigger plan set in motion because duh 'this is Barbara freaking Gordon we're talking about'. She runs Gotham. Batman who?

Except we're in 2015. THE PRESIDENT IS BLACK. Dick Grayson is 75 years old! He's been Batman TWICE. His resume eclipses anything Barbara's done in the past few years. Writers make it so hard to acknowledge Dick is actually a more capable hero than 90% of DC's roster. I knew I had a bad feeling when I laid eyes on the solicit months ago. More self-serving ginger nonsense from the queen of Nightwing buttshots. There better be some kind of payoff or I'm writing Gail off for good. #f*ckthewedding #longliveAgent37

#atleastKoriandrcharacterizationwasonpointdoe

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JayAaerow

Nightwing/Oracle serves only to reinforce my belief that Gail Simone has no business handling my favorite character. Seriously if I see NW clubbed to the back of the head or take another knee next issue I'm tossing that badboy in the shredder along with all my remaining credit cards. I'm not paying $4.00 for this dogsh1t! If she wanted to write a fanfic about Oracle taking place in convergence, she may as well have cut the A-Side(Dick Grayson) loose and merely spun it into a tale about Babs and used Commmissioner Gordon as her retarded middle man instead.

Whenever people ask me why I never ship these two, I'll direct their attention here. The two-part series will perfectly echo my sentiments. >_>

Gail Simone wants so badly to tease DickxBabs pairing when the truth is, we've already seen this movie about a dozen times already. Oracle piggybacks off of Nightwing's strong presence in what can best be explained as a parasitic relationship. While she sits high and mighty on her 4-wheeled throne analyzing the battlefield unscathed, our boy get the brakes beaten off him. Babs pleads for the villainess to ceasefire knowing full well her punching bag-ahem-boyfriend is simply a means to an end. Meanwhile little known to Nightwing, there's a bigger plan set in motion because duh 'this is Barbara freaking Gordon we're talking about'. She runs Gotham. Batman who?

Except we're in 2015. THE PRESIDENT IS BLACK. Dick Grayson is 75 years old! He's been Batman TWICE. His resume eclipses anything Barbara's done in the past few years. Writers make it so hard to acknowledge Dick is actually a more capable hero than 90% of DC's roster. I knew I had a bad feeling when I laid eyes on the solicit months ago. More self-serving ginger nonsense from the queen of Nightwing buttshots. There better be some kind of payoff or I'm writing Gail off for good. #f*ckthewedding #longliveAgent37

#atleastKoriandrcharacterizationwasonpointdoe

I see where you come from. It's sad that it's 2015 and his 75th anniversary and the first time we see Pre-52 Dick in a while, we're reminded of the stuff we got in Higgin's Nightwing and Nightwing's solo prior to him being Batman: Characters using him as stepping stools for something. For this: Female empowerment (instead of equality between genders period.). To me, this character is used far too much as the character to set an example. It use to be a good thing when he was with Starfire. It was fun, didn't regress neither character, and made them look like a power couple. When done here, Babs look like a jerk (something that's prevalent since....New 52. She had her problems but they don't compare to now).

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayaaerow: AS long as I live that will always be my knock against Barbara Gordon. She's not a one dimensional character and can be written to be compassionate when the situation calls for it.

As a reader I just don't have the patience for waiting on a decades old on and off relationship to suddenly blossom when I know it's eventually going to come at the expense of Dick Grayson's happiness. How many times must a writer visit the same well?

Sometimes I swear Babs is like a window into Gail's subconscious mind where she secretly wishes she could make out with Dick Grayson, then dominate him. I'm not certain whether it's because she's on some female power trip or what. All I know is the story's titled Nightwing/Oracle. She is the b-side to the equation, there's no reason for Dick to be taking the backseat to anyone here. He was the goddamned Batman. Where was that guy at, in the midst of lunging at two overmatched Thanagarians or relying on Babs intel when it came to asking for permission to crash through a window? Oracle isn't a fixture in DC the way Grayson is. Oracles come and go. These event tie-ins are designed to be defining moments for our heroes.

We don't know if we'll ever see them again two months from now. It NEEDS to matter. We need to matter as fans.

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smoothjammin: Exactly my issue with this. It seems every time this couple is revisted, no matter how badly I want it to blossom into awesome sauce, there's always some drama that gets in the way. I thought this issue would finally show it's gonna be official. But I might have to wait. :/ Hopefully, it is a wait. Rather have a wait then never.

Not sure If it's a writer thing, seeing as multiple writers have portrayed Babs to be jerkish to people she cares about pre and new 52. And agreed, no more of this backseat stuff. I don't understand why in a title with two character names, someones gotta be backseat. I actually hate books that can't treat it's characters equally. If It's a solo book, I don't care. But when you have a team, all should be about equal. No exceptions. And that includes even little stuff.

batman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By batman100

@youknowwhattodo: i really liked the nightwing and babbra moment but at the same time i hate Babs dick have always been kind and easy through out the relationship even before convergence but i feel that she is not giving back and this is the same thing dick did with ko ry no matter if Babs get with dick or possible get married Bab still will not love dick all the way like Starfire i fell Starfire love for dick is like everlasting cus every time there is nightwing kory will always be there and i pridicted this 4 month ago and when i read comic i base them in reallife every guy wants a girl that loves him in every way not saying she must be perfect but atleast she love you what the point of dick being with a girl he gave every thing too and she dose not want to marry him because he is stock in a place. That is selfish and again if the do Marry it will bad cus he will always be apart of the bat family which is anyoing and 2. It gonna a be a stupid james bond movie where the girl sits in the computer all day doing tec work and dick being the guy that fights the same gotham villian like batman i have always wanted him to be mixed up with alien bad guys and superhuman bad guys that not from gotham i mean really batman fight the same villan cus that hes teritory i need hes own bad personal bad guys and for him to pick the right girl that loves him all the way not some geek who is too selfish and rejects him all the time .plus the world its so big why must it be dick that she must end up with she eazyly could have been with someone else but apart fron this the story was nice

Dick and kori belong together because yes the argue but not this clueless and oviously overrated like babs and dick i hate the fact koryvis an alien but forcing my self to know her history and read the old comic of dick and kori was spot on but dick and babs is ovious like superman and wonderwoman babs neeed someone new not from batfamily because as much as i hate too say kori love for divk is powerful and beeter than babs love for dick i relate it un real life every guy or girl want someone that you love to completely love you back and that what gave me respect for kori she gave all to dick and even changed him but have Babs done but reject him i feel the are like ben and Gwen when the have only the flertaious act and friendship the do ever thing well together,there is lesa relationship drama and more action but when they are couple there is more relationship drama more than the action but when Dick's with kory yes the argue and the may be drifferent but there love was more interesting and it made there relationship real

flying_fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's not turn into the Jason Todd forum, and treat Dick like some self-insert character.

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OH YEAH! I am so happy after Covergence:Nightwing/Oracle. :D That's what I wanted. And signed up for. So I'm happy.

Let's not turn into the Jason Todd forum, and treat Dick like some self-insert character.

DEAD.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayaaerow: My thoughts exactly! Dick finally got a happy ending! I feel like he's one of the those characters who, despite his efforts, always has his life spiraled out of control. Honestly, I was half-expecting him to die in this fight lol.

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alak said:

@jayaaerow: My thoughts exactly! Dick finally got a happy ending! I feel like he's one of the those characters who, despite his efforts, always has his life spiraled out of control. Honestly, I was half-expecting him to die in this fight lol.

HA! Dick Grayson with a happy ending is actually something you don't see. Nice for him in the MAINSTREAM (even tho it ain't New 52 so it's not all the way mainstream) version to get that. And yay for Babs too.

oompers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one in mainstream comics gets a happy ending... unless there's a reboot.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.