Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9479 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

name

Avatar image for supermanfan1234
    supermanfan1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By supermanfan1234

tims already changed his last name to wayne do you think dick will in the future

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By VampireSelektor

"Richard Wayne" does not hold the same appeal to me.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JonSmith

Nope. That ship has sailed for Grayson. Even in light of his names origin from Night of the Owls, I doubt he'll be changing it.

Avatar image for graysonofgotham
    graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By graysonofgotham

The name Dick Grayson is far more well known than Tim Drake. Its way to know by non-comic fans to ever change.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CrimsonCake
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for graysonofgotham
    graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By graysonofgotham

@CrimsonCake said:

No Caption Provided

I don't know how that applies here.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CrimsonCake

@richardjohngrayson: At first I thought it said they were planning to change his name and I immediately posted this.But it looks like I chose the wrong thread to post it on :P

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmoothJammin

I wasn't a fan of the portrayal surrounding Dick's last name and how it's actually spelled "Gray-son". I thought that bit was a little unnecessary. I'm curious when his Crowne ancestry will begin to pop up in later events.

I never liked the fact that Tim began referring to himself as exclusively Wayne. It almost felt like he left the life he knew before Bruce behind him. If it helped benefit him and his goals then more power to him. In the end that's all that really matters right? Heh.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@SmoothJammin: I don't like Tim Drake very much. He's a Mary Sue, and his father's death was extremely pointless and he doesn't even feel bad about it. It just let him pretend that Bruce was his daddy.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SmoothJammin

@TheAnnihilator: I believe there was actually some promise in Tim before DC turned him into such a tragic hero. Was this to replicate another Batman.. who knows, probably. He really is a Mary Sue isn't he? In a sense I'm glad Lobdell is dismantling Red Robin, he was wired a little too tight before Flashpoint. Don't even get me started on his unternet costume, I get he just wanted to emulate Dick(assuming) but if editors allowed him to keep Nightwing's look I would've gathered my crew and raided DC headquarters.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@SmoothJammin: This is pretty much Tim. Idealized Mary Sue.

The interpretation that Mary Sue is a character that is idealized to a fault. A very influential interpretation, this one tends to get applied to most discussions. This theory posits that a Mary Sue is an unrealistically capable and virtuous character, one who simply lacks flaws and is depicted in an overly positive light. This tends to draw the most debate, as this model of character is extremely common, and also a lot more accepted than people give it credit for. Charles Dickens, one of the established classic authors, used to specialize in creating characters like this. A lot of characters in both male- and female-centric fiction simply lack meaningful flaws, but are more than accepted because they work as Escapism for the audience.
    However, both this interpretation and a shift of society as a whole towards cynicism has led to many people trying to mask their otherwise idealized characters with either total non-flaws (e.g. being So Beautiful, It's A Curse and other Cursed with Awesome details), flaws by proxy (e.g. Dark and Troubled Past), or flaws that simply don't play any role in the plot at all (e.g. making a character an alcoholic, but never showing them as impeded by it). Often, this leads to a particular extreme where people start treating flaws themselves as Character Development and create a character that simply has no merits outside of being able to do the most basic biological functions (Anti-Sue).

They tried to make his father's death character development, even though nothing came from it.

I feel like every time I read a Tim Drake-centric story it's about how awesome he is.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SmoothJammin

@TheAnnihilator: It's like reading fan fiction from a deranged Tim groupie. I was really upset in Gates of Gotham when Dick proclaimed Tim a better robin than even he ever was, it didn't seem like something an uberconfident character like Dick would ever say. That whole mini was chock full of Red Robin highlight reels. It wasn't all in vain, Bruce redeems Dick's efforts in the end so I don't pay it as much mind.

JSH92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By JSH92

I hope not.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@SmoothJammin: Yeah. Tim's a normal kid, except he's really smart and figured out who Batman is, and he's one of the world's greatest hackers, and he's an incredible martial artist after training for a week, and he knows a deadly move that only Batman and Lady Shiva know. And he's becoming a better detective than Bruce. And he's always planned whatever happens.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmoothJammin

@TheAnnihilator:

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By noj

This is turning into a I hate Tim Drake thread! I am very happy with that development

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SmoothJammin

@noj: I've always maintained that given his unique talents, Tim can serve the batfamily well as an 'Oracle' figure. Since the position appears to be vacant atm one never knows. The upcoming Death of the Family may help determine these things. In truth, having two Robins is silly...

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@noj said:

This is turning into a I hate Tim Drake thread! I am very happy with that development

Let's start an official "I Hate Tim Drake," thread.

@SmoothJammin: Yeah, that sounds like a really good idea actually.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmoothJammin

@TheAnnihilator said:

@noj said:

Let's start an official "I Hate Tim Drake," thread.

@SmoothJammin: Yeah, that sounds like a really good idea actually.

Well.. as long as we keep it civil, I don't mind you contributing to my latest pet project

Stalker...is this kid bananas or what?

Check it out.

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LuigiBat

@TheAnnihilator said:

@SmoothJammin: Yeah. Tim's a normal kid, except he's really smart and figured out who Batman is, and he's one of the world's greatest hackers, and he's an incredible martial artist after training for a week, and he knows a deadly move that only Batman and Lady Shiva know. And he's becoming a better detective than Bruce. And he's always planned whatever happens.

YES!

Words cannot express how much I love you for pointing this out.

Grayson fans: "You do realise that Dick rescued Tim after he was beaten to a pulp and thrown out of a window by Ra's?"

Tim Drake fans: "Tim planned to get beaten by Ra's, he also planned that Dick would rescue him even though he never actually told Dick where he was going/what he was doing"

Grayson fans: *facepalm*

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By renamed040924

@VampireSelektor said:

"Richard Wayne" does not hold the same appeal to me.

Dick Wayne just makes me laugh.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@LuigiBat: Pretty much.

KNlGHTWlNG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KNlGHTWlNG

@LuigiBat said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

YES!

Grayson fans: "You do realise that Dick rescued Tim after he was beaten to a pulp and thrown out of a window by Ra's?"

Tim Drake fans: "Tim planned to get beaten by Ra's, he also planned that Dick would rescue him even though he never actually told Dick where he was going/what he was doing"

Am I the only one who likes all of the Robins just one more than the others?

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SmoothJammin

@KNlGHTWlNG: I do too. What I can't stand is characters jobbing to Tim because for whatever reason his IQ is unparalleled, he's every bit the chessmaster his mentor is. I absolutely despise when writers try and sell me on Tim's genious and it's borderline PIS. He's beaten Lady Shiva and Cassandra Cain, two of the greatest martial artists on the planet. Nuff said.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@SmoothJammin said:

@KNlGHTWlNG: I do too. What I can't stand is characters jobbing to Tim because for whatever reason his IQ is unparalleled, he's every bit the chessmaster his mentor is. I absolutely despise when writers try and sell me on Tim's genious and it's borderline PIS. He's beaten Lady Shiva and Cassandra Cain, two of the greatest martial artists on the planet. Nuff said.

Yeah, this.

Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By Hunter114

Getting back on topic :P

Dick's a little too old to change his name... the symbolism has kinda gone because he's an adult... Tim'a always been more like Batman than anyone else, so it would seem natural that he would take the name, becoming more and more like both Batman and Bruce Wayne, while Dick wanted to become his own man.

Plus, I think that Dick would probably feel it was dishonoring his parents to change his name... he was one of the Flying Graysons... they were a team, as much as they were a family, and the name is part of that... Tim on the other hand, only had his father, who he was seemingly not that close with because he was Robin before Jack Drake died... so the father / son connection was as much with Bruce as it was with his own father.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SmoothJammin

^^^^lol sugarcoating much? If Bruce Wayne farted in a quiet room Tim Drake would take the blame. lol jk ..In a way I feel sorry for Tim, Batman has brainwashed him all these years. He's everything poor Tim's been programmed to know. I know this sounds wrong, but perhaps Damian needs to put him out of his misery. Maybe not now.. but in the future...666.. Ra's chose Tim over Damian in RR ongoing right? At the end of the series we witnessed shades of a face heel turn. Tim Drake is a viable threat, one day it'll fall on Damian to put him down. Didn't they learn with Anakin!?

Man I love Red Robin guys, just fooling around. :)

All the best to him in the new 52, hope we get to see some real charie development now that he's essentially starting from scratch.

Saucedo17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Saucedo17

@TheAnnihilator:

Tim a Mary Sue you make it sound like he beat up a kryptonian without kryptonight

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LuigiBat

@KNlGHTWlNG said:

@LuigiBat said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

YES!

Am I the only one who likes all of the Robins just one more than the others?

I like all of them, even Damian.

I guess what gets my (and other guy's) back up is the way Tim Drake's fans make out that he can do anything and whenever something goes wrong Tim planned for it to turn out that way.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.